Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Exorcist" (Fox)

HANNIBAL is a great comparison.  While it's more artful and introspective than EXORCIST's series, both are shows of far higher quality than you would expect coming from network TV and with those titles.

Finished watching Episode 5 last night and THAT TWIST at the end was really well done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I've heard this from almost everyone who is now into the show. Part of me wishes they'd just called it something else (but, then, the other part of me likes how its tied to the franchise).

Gotta wait until the 9th for the next episode. *Sigh*

Not long now and now I have this show to record on my DVR. So glad I gave it a chance.

Really effective and tense finale.  The way they resolved the major storylines worked really well, and had some moments that were surprisingly moving.  I’ll happily watch a season two if that happens, but I feel like this one season told a pretty satisfying story.

Now that's how you do a season finale. Excellent effort all around and damn Geena Davis really knocked it out of the park with this one.  I'm all over a 2nd season if it happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

Now that's how you do a season finale. Excellent effort all around and damn Geena Davis really knocked it out of the park with this one.  I'm all over a 2nd season if it happens.

She really did.  She was on fire the last couple episodes.

Too many people I trust have praised the show, so I just bought it on Amazon. Glad to hear the season ends on a reasonably final note given, you know. Still, it's not technically cancelled yet, and Jeremy Slater is talking pretty freely about the hypothetical second season.

Sometimes I wonder why networks even bother investing in shows of substance and thus put them in a situation where they live or die by the overnights, especially when they own a cable channel better suited to content that tends to find its audience over time.  Couldn't they have made this an FX production?

Yeah, I was pretty happy with the ending of the first season. It wrapped up the majority of the plotlines and so, although I'd be happy to see another season, it feels like everything we got was pretty much everything we need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Too many people I trust have praised the show, so I just bought it on Amazon.

Let us know what you think once you jump in.

I'm four episodes in, and man am I digging it.  Terrific atmosphere.

One of the more interesting choices is the sheer volume of possessed people that seem to be in the world of this show.  For all the usual skepticism from the local bishop, the show seems to posit a world where possession is relatively ubiquitous, with Father Marcus having cut his teeth as a kid in some sort of sanctioned exorcist training basement?  By the end of the first episode I was wondering if maybe the whole family was hosting demons.

I love the conceit of showing us how Casey's demon appears and interacts from her point of view.  I'm also intrigued by the idea that maybe Alan Ruck's symptoms somehow correspond.  Or maybe not.   And how about that organ harvesting?  It made me wonder for a second if this show was doing with the homeless what THE EXORCIST III was doing with the catatonic.

Good stuff.  I'm totally hooked for the remainder of the season.

Quote:

For all the usual skepticism from the local bishop, the show seems to posit a world where possession is relatively ubiquitous, with Father Marcus having cut his teeth as a kid in some sort of sanctioned exorcist training basement?

This is one of the angles I found quite fresh.  I think the idea of the Church vigorously combating a widespread possession problem in secret - while radically downplaying everything in public - makes for an interesting dynamic.  I also like the idea of the Church plucking up orphans to be trained as the next generation of exorcists.

Well now, Episode 5 was GREAT despite some minor quibbles.  For instance, I didn't buy the sister's motivation to call the cops and get Casey shuttled back to the hospital.  It was already established that Angela was monitoring a live feed of the exorcism; surely it would have been easy enough to show Katherine an example of the plainly supernatural shit happening?  I was similarly unsold when Tomas got sufficiently duped by Demon Jessica to start getting physical with her.  Come on.  However, I forgive this because it precipitated the instantly classic coitus/exorcism crosscut sequence.

The big twist worked like gangbusters for me.  They now have the rest of the season to prove that they're doing it for more than its own sake.  Right now though I'm pretty excited by the possibilities.  I'm kind of confused though, because I remember seeing some article about Linda Blair vying to make a cameo appearance on the show.  What could they have possibly used her for, given the revelation?

So Angela has a physical red feather from the imaginary friend she had as a child that took the form of a red bird...Captain Howdy was a red bird?  Guess I should wait and see.  But Angela being identified as the demon's target is good stuff.  I get the impression that the pope himself is the target of the big legion of demons apparently roaming around Chicago while all this is going on.

Okay.  The Friars of the Ascension and the rich lady and the police commissioner being part of some satanic cabal presumably bent on world domination is THE BEST EVER.

I like how this show does everything you would expect from an Exorcist series in its first few episodes then goes completely off the reservation.

Quote:

Okay.  The Friars of the Ascension and the rich lady and the police commissioner being part of some satanic cabal presumably bent on world domination is THE BEST EVER.

That's one of my favorite parts of the "new" mythology the show adds to the fray.  It's like an ultra-souped-up version of THE SEVENTH VICTIM - respectable community members secretly working for the ultimate evil!

Well that was a lot of fun.  If it must stand as a miniseries then I'm grateful to have it.

It was a good show, not quite what I was expecting, but had some great ideas.

I think the shows/films that show the demon or devil as the smooth talker, promising to give you what you want, propping you up to feel like you have it all, illustrate what I think the devil would be. I don't think it's scary to the people hearing it, more of a seduction.

The demon was like that here, making promises, but then twisting the relationship to making threats to gain more control.

One of the creepiest parts might be the old dude making out with the girl on the train.

The show is not officially cancelled yet - FOX can push that decision as far back as May - and Jeremy Slater is publishing hope on his Twitter account.  Don't know what to think.

I would be down with another season if the show runner has a story to tell but I'm honestly good with a one and done limited series.   The door was opened just enough for more stories to be told but I thought it was a pretty satisfying ending.

According to Deadline's article on upcoming renewals and cancellations:

the well-received new drama Exorcist  also looks good to come back.

That's exciting.  I had a hard time getting people to watch this series, but I think some of that was the perception that it wouldn't last.  Maybe I can convince some people to give it a shot now.

This really turned out to be a great and genuinely scary show that expanded on the source material. Definitely want to see where it goes in season two!

I'll happily watch another season of this should it happen.

The Exorcist got its miracle renewal.  Maybe quality counts for something after all.  Congrats to Jeremy.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/the-exorcist...202092418/

That's really cool. I hope more people discover the first season in the interim.

I'm pleasantly surprised!  Good to know it's coming back.

Based on Slater's comments when the finale aired, the second season would see a fresh cast, with the two priests being the mainstays.  That makes sense, although one hopes they will in some way pick up with Kirsten Fitzgerald and the shadow conspiracy to ice the pope.  Or was it possess the pope?

Quote:

Based on Slater's comments when the finale aired, the second season would see a fresh cast, with the two priests being the mainstays.  That makes sense, although one hopes they will in some way pick up with Kirsten Fitzgerald and the shadow conspiracy to ice the pope.  Or was it possess the pope?

There's no way that won't come back into play.  They set up too much possibly interesting stuff to just drop it.

TVLine confirms what we knew, which is that the Rance family isn't coming back but the priests are.  That includes the character played by Kurt Egyiawan:

No word on Fitzgerald.

Alfonso Herrera must be even more happy that this is coming back now that Sense8 has been cancelled (boo).

FOX has released its fall premiere schedule, revealing that The Exorcist Season 2 will debut September 29th.  That's a hell of a swift turnaround, although maybe a lot of the story-breaking legwork was done while waiting for renewal.

Quote:

FOX has released its fall premiere schedule, revealing that The Exorcist Season 2 will debut September 29th.  That's a hell of a swift turnaround, although maybe a lot of the story-breaking legwork was done while waiting for renewal.

Assuming the writer's room wasn't disbanded, three full months seems like it should be fine.

John Cho cast in Season 2.  Also, plot info:

Quote:
Star Trek Beyond‘s John Cho has joined the season 2 cast of Fox drama series The Exorcist.

Season 2 picks up with Father Tomas Ortega (Alfonso Herrera) and a newly collarless Marcus Keane (Ben Daniels) out of Chicago and on the road, searching out evil. Across the Atlantic, Father Bennett (Kurt Egyiawan) attempts to weed out those within the Vatican who have turned against God. Ultimately, Tomas and Marcus are led to Andrew Kim (Cho), a former child psychologist who runs a group home for five at-risk foster children on a secluded private island off the coast of Seattle. When one of the children under Andrew’s care is targeted by a powerful force, the two priests head west, setting themselves on a collision course with hell.

Created by Jeremy Slater, The Exorcist hails from Morgan Creek Productions in association with 20th Century Fox Television. Slater, Sean Crouch, Rupert Wyatt, Roy Lee, James Robinson, David Robinson and Barbara Wall serve as executive producers.

Cho, who recently reprised his role of Lt. Hikaru Sulu in Justin Lin’s Star Trek Beyond, next will be seen in Kogonada’s Columbus, alongside Haley Lu Richardson and Parker Posey, which premiered at Sundance in January.

Season 2 of The Exorcist premieres Friday, September 29, on Fox.

Hopefully people will catch this show on Amazon and realize (much like I - and a few others - did) that, in terms of shows born from movies, it's more akin in quality to something like the wonderful Buffy The Vampires Slayer than the awful Rush Hour. it definitely deserves a bigger audience going into season two.

If the second season is as intense as the first it's going to be one hell (tee hee) of a ride!

Season 2's basic premise sounds solid, and I like Cho, so I'm excited.  I just hope they don't entirely drop the "powerful people possessed by demons and working for Satan" subplot.

It does hint at moles in the Vatican.  I hope the Holy See becomes the new CTU.