• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Exorcist" (Fox)

‘The Exorcist’ Adds Zuleikha Robinson As Season 2 Series Regular

Also, here's an image of a mini-poster that will be circulating at Comic-Con:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

‘The Exorcist’ Adds Zuleikha Robinson As Season 2 Series Regular

Also, here's an image of a mini-poster that will be circulating at Comic-Con:

Nice homage with that poster.  And I think the woodsy setting should be a fun visual change of pace.

Back when this seemed like it was going to be definitely cancelled, it did not surprise me that there wasn't a Blu-ray in the works, but why FOX hasn't fast-tracked one ahead of Season 2 is beyond me.  Any ratings growth the second season experiences is going to be directly tied to how many people discover Season 1 ahead of it.  Self-contained seasons or no, you have to imagine there are people who didn't bother with the show because of the appearance that it was doomed.

FOX needs to do something aggressive like let Netflix host Season 1 for a $0.99 licensing fee from yesterday until the premiere, just for the sake of reach.

Yeah, I'm surprised that you can watch the entire season on Amazon Prime here in the UK but there doesn't seem to be anything in place for the U.S where the audience size actually matters.

That got me curious, and apparently Hulu picked up the streaming rights for the show.  Oof.

Oh man.

Interview with Slater by The Hollywood Reporter.  He touches on the overarching conspiracy plot:

Quote:

How will the church conspiracy affect the story?

That’s our larger mythology. That’s our X-Files version of the little green men or the black goo. We’re using Kurt Egyawan’s character, Father Bennett, and Zuleikha Robinson, who’s joining the cast in episode three as a brand new character. They are maybe the last two loyal members of the Office of the Exorcism within the Vatican. You’re going to learn early on in the season that the Vatican has been targeted by these outside forces. Last season, we saw some church cardinals have been corrupted and turned. You’re going to start realizing there’s a larger conspiracy at work. The only ones standing in their way are these two. We want to constantly be escalating the threat each season. So instead of just worrying about a corrupt police force and a few socialite demons … Well, evil has large designs and they’re not going to be content with small fry takeovers — they want the whole enchilada! They want church and state. And you’re going to learn that they’re pretty damn close to getting what they want.

Quote:

Interview with Slater by The Hollywood Reporter.  He touches on the overarching conspiracy plot:

Intriguing!

It's such a cool idea which vastly broadens the canvas of the show beyond what we saw in the original movie, and shows why Slater's a better showrunner than I'll ever be. I really hope he gets as many seasons as he needs to tell the story because it's brimming with potential.

I think it will have to post some serious viewership gains to get a third season.

Yeah, we should really count ourselves lucky that we're even getting a second season.  Hopefully it delivers.

Me too. The first season was incredibly well done and I can't wait to see what they've got in store for us.

Just bought the season pass on Amazon.  Let's do this.

First promo for season 2...

The more suburban/small town sort of feel should hopefully be an interesting contrast to the Chicago setting of the first season.

Looking good!

Cool poster.

The J-Horror influence is strong.

You guys have a few more hours to administer the necessary threats to whatever Nielsen households you happen to know.

A solid first episode. The flavor this season feels markedly different than last year, but in a way that acts like a natural progression. I could have done without the manufactured drama with the possessed woman’s husband and his henchmen, but it’s kind of a fun setup to pick back up with our characters as rogue priests traveling the country performing exorcisms, which feels like fresh territory for an EXORCIST-related property. Also, the dynamic between John Cho and the kids feels believable and warm, and is hopefully setting up some great dramatic possibilities.  It will be interesting to see how these two storylines are going to intersect.

And you just know that spooky old shack in the woods is going to come into play in a major way eventually.

That "brave face" pillowcase was nice and creepy. Would love to see a kid come to my house on Halloween with one of those on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

That "brave face" pillowcase was nice and creepy. Would love to see a kid come to my house on Halloween with one of those on.

I thought that was a neat touch, too.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing Tubular Bells.

Agreed on this being a very solid start to the show's second season. Can't disagree with anything Belloq said, actually: the rogue priest storyline felt manufactured whilst also being an entertaining way to rejoin our duo, and the stuff happening over at John Cho's foster home is creepy whilst also building a solid framework for going forward. I like all the kids (and I love that they're playing the "Guess who is possessed!" mystery again) and Cho is a really warm presence at the center of it all.

AYeah, this was a really promising setup. I'm looking forward to seeing the conspiracy plot get reintroduced. It sounds like Father Bennett will be the character dealing with that plotline.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing Tubular Bells.

Same.  And thank God they've licensed the original version of it; every rerecording I've ever heard has always been subpar.

Quote:

Yeah, this was a really promising setup. I'm looking forward to seeing the conspiracy plot get reintroduced. It sounds like Father Bennett will be the character dealing with that plotline.

I think that makes sense, though I do hope that the conspiracy won't be a totally discrete, separate strand, but will eventually influence the central stories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

Same.  And thank God they've licensed the original version of it; every rerecording I've ever heard has always been subpar.

I think that makes sense, though I do hope that the conspiracy won't be a totally discrete, separate strand, but will eventually influence the central stories.

Agreed on both counts. The premiere was incredibly solid horror television.

ARatings were low, unfortunately.
Quote:

Ratings were low, unfortunately.

A bummer, but not unexpected.

Figured as much. The Friday night "death slot" and all that.

It's extra painful because the producers were talking of a "six or seven season" plan ahead of the premiere, including some specifics about Season 3:

Quote:

But Slater and Crouch revealed they originally had a different idea in mind for season two, exploring Tomas's heritage in Mexico, which they plan to revisit if they get a third season.

"Originally we had some ideas for that and then it turns out it's just impossible to convincingly pull off Mexico in Vancouver!" Slater explained. "But if the show's lucky enough to move forward, Tomas has a long backstory that we've barely begun to dive into."

Crouch elaborated: "If we had our way, season 3 would be in Los Angeles and then we'd play the other half of the story in Mexico, across the border – almost like The Bridge a little bit, so we could really play with that culture, that very strong Catholic culture. I think that's a great sandbox for season 3, so fingers crossed."

Quote:

It's extra painful because the producers were talking of a "six or seven season" plan ahead of the premiere, including some specifics about Season 3:

Interesting.

Maybe there's a very outside chance a third season could be picked up by a Netflix, a Hulu, an Amazon, or the like.  Fox certainly can't fully own the property outright.

I think this series would thrive on Netflix if given the chance.

I got into the show by binge-watching most of the first season (which I'd initially dismissed due to a scathing AV Club review) so it definitely has the binge-worthy qualities Netflix would want.

Would be a real shame if we lost a show as well made as this, espcially as I can count the number of genuinely creepy television shows on one hand. Most horror shows seem to be either funny or satirical. This show actually manages to give me the creeps in places (i.e the witch's house scene in this episode with its open door and eerie noises within).

A[quote name="Headless Fett" url="/community/t/155936/the-exorcist-fox/90#post_4373400"]I think this series would thrive on Netflix if given the chance.
[/quote]

I think just putting it on FX would have done the trick.

I was pleasantly surprised that this was picked up for a second season, so I wouldn't put many chips on Fox going for a third.  FX does seem like a great substitute, though, if they can keep this going.

So far, so good.  The Montana storyline isn't the best, but an exorcist/car chase hybrid is not something I ever thought I would see.  I feel like once we get Tomas and Marcus to Washington, things will coalesce.  Cho is a welcome addition, and the kids seem great.  The isolated setting should do wonders.

AThat was gloriously insane. Given the show's bleak future, they may as well have nuked the neonatal ward while they were at it.