Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 (2018)
I hate to say it, but I just don’t think this game is clicking with me. I’m still feeling only lukewarm on the game and I’m midway through chapter 2. I can see why people love it, and apart from the learning curve of the controls I really don’t have anything negative to say about it.
When life gives you lemons, lemonade is little consolation. 
I was not entirely feeling the game either, but going into town and getting completely shithoused with Lenny was the best.
hunting is a real pain in the ass. Getting perfect/legendary skins? I ain't got that kinda time.
If you study the animals, it tells you what weapon you need to use to get a clean kill and, when you target subsequent animals from that species, it will tell you what the max possible quality of pelt you can get from that target (1-3 stars) before you shoot it.
LEMMY!

LERGHY?

LMPH!!!

Moments like that are keeping me playing, but they're sure spread thin amongst a LOT of navel-gazing.

ARTHUR: "I've been killing a lot of animals and I don't even know why."

ME: "THEY PAID FOR THIS WHOLE CAMP, YOU ASS!"
Gamertag: Tweakee
Finished the main story, thought it was completely exceptional. Arthur > John.
(11-05-2018, 02:34 AM)farsight Wrote: LEMMY!

LERGHY?

LMPH!!!

Moments like that are keeping me playing, but they're sure spread thin amongst a LOT of navel-gazing.

ARTHUR: "I've been killing a lot of animals and I don't even know why."

ME: "THEY PAID FOR THIS WHOLE CAMP, YOU ASS!"
That whole visual gag of Arthur seeing everyone in the bar as Lenny--even the women--was fucking hysterical.

Along with the Sex club gag from Saints Row 3, that entire mission is the funniest fucking thing I've ever witnessed in a video game.

I like the navel-gazing.  It's teaching me how to play it on its terms, and I feel like I'm getting rewarded because of it.  Also, despite how long this game is, I think it's better if you play in 30min-60min increments.  It's just enough to do a mission or two, or fuck around in the world, before switching to Destiny or Spiderman.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
People were saying money is so scarce in the game, but I've got too much of the stuff. I've already upgraded all my guns and most of the camp and still have plenty left over. I'm taking my sweet time with the story missions though, opting to complete every side quest as they become available.

I'm curious to see what the online component of this game will look like. As impressive as the world is, GTAV felt like more of a sandbox. I have a feeling RDR2 online will be all horse racing, video poker, and random shoot-outs.
It really depends on how much stuff they put into it. Since the online component is coming at a later date, they have to be adding more to it than simply "well you can play poker online, I guess."

Will see what online multiplayer looks like coming from the developers of the most financially successfully online game soon enough.

RDR2 Online beta supposedly launches later this month, so we'll see soon enough.

And to be fair, I wouldn't say GTAV was the most successful online game because it was that good, necessarily. But I'm sure you'll be able to spend real money on hang glider or a gattling gun you can tow behind your horse.
(11-05-2018, 01:29 PM)Amos Wrote: RDR2 Online beta supposedly launches later this month, so we'll see soon enough.

And to be fair, I wouldn't say GTAV was the most successful online game because it was that good, necessarily. But I'm sure you'll be able to spend real money on hang glider or a gattling gun you can tow behind your horse.

well, that's why I said financially successful. I got bored of GTAonline early on, but I can't deny that thing made a boatload of money.

Like Nintendo's warchest multiplied by 10.

I think what's muting my enjoyment somewhat is the feeling that the game is less than the sum of its parts. It feels like many of the systems were designed in isolation, and the whole thing was stapled together late in development.

There's an Honor system... but the story requires you to be a mass-murderer, and definitely not just of bad guys.

There's a ton of content based around exploring the world... but the game's limited fast travel and small inventory forces you to spend the majority of your time trudging to and from your camp, which isn't even centrally located.

There's a lot of smaller hints that the game never had a cohesive design... like the challenges, which don't show you what they are until you perform part of the first one. the first gambling challenge involves blackjack, but nothing in the game world sends you near a blackjack table for ages. Then if you complete it, the next challenges are for the games right near the starting area. It makes no sense.

Don't get me wrong; it's a good game, and thus far an infinitely better story than the braindead, loathsome GTA5. I'm just surprised that Rockstar doesn't seem to be progressing at all from a design perspective.
Gamertag: Tweakee
I'm early in Chapter 4. Just found out I could've gotten a much bettet horse from the wilds a while ago, so making that trek northwest is my next mission.

Each chapter has been more engrossing than the last, in terms of missions and environments. The lighting and design of the swampy Rhodes area is amazing. Then there's Saint Denis, one of the most incredible looking video game cities yet.

The odd sort of fits and spurts to the main storyline, and the enigmatic/perplexing approach to the main characters, reminds me a lot of Metal Gear Solid V's storytelling. The long jeep ride where Skullface makes a long, long dramatic speech to Big Boss had to be an influence here. I loved MGSV so it's cool with me, but I can see how it would leave some people cold.
Stumbled upon a stagecoach being robbed. Sneaked up behind the bandit and shot him in the head with an arrow. The grateful driver let me loot the strongbox, since he was reporting the robbery anyway. And then, like an idiot, I forgot to drive the coach to that fence who specifically said to bring him any stagecoaches I might get hold of.

I wonder how much I would have gotten for that thing. Anyone else turn in a stolen stagecoach?

Yeah, I think I got about $40 for that same stagecoach.
(11-05-2018, 04:33 AM)The Dark Shape Wrote: Finished the main story, thought it was completely exceptional. Arthur > John.

I adore both, but Arthur's arc is especially moving. Great character.
The poster formerly known as Inkblades.