Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTF happenned to Bethesda?!?!

Guess they go on the shelf next to Bioware as "game companies I used to trust". Sigh.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/20...negativity

Quote:

Bethesda has taken the unusual step of announcing it will only send out Dishonored 2 and Skyrim Special Edition to critics a day before release.

That means that once those games hit digital and retail shelves, consumers will be unable to read reviews on the products - they will either have to wait or risk it.

"At Bethesda, we value media reviews," began the company's statement on its blog.

"We read them. We watch them. We try to learn from them when they offer critique. And we understand their value to our players. "Earlier this year we released Doom. We sent review copies to arrive the day before launch, which led to speculation about the quality of the game. Since then DOOM has emerged as a critical and commercial hit, and is now one of the highest-rated shooters of the past few years.

"With the upcoming launches of Skyrim Special Edition and Dishonored 2, we will continue our policy of sending media review copies one day before release."

How long before the other big guys follow suit I wonder?

A
Quote:Random gamedev: Hey, look at that. We can unload our game to market with Known Shippable bugs? Hell yeahs, hello Christmas Bonus Check.

This is bad. As a gamedev who came up from QA....you don't want to screw over your customers. You want to maintain that loyalty, and or build up consumer trust. If worrying about backlash and lost sales from a bad review is a problem, hey, stop shipping fucking garbage. All this does is just enforces the notion you're trying to pull a fast one on less savvy customers. Nope, we don't care about you we got our money. What you're really telling folks is, yep time to stop pre-ordering shit (or just refund on steam within the grace period). If you do wrong by your customers they will get vocal online via twitter, reddit, youtube, post-launch reviews, and the steam user forums. Just ask Hello Games, or Arkham Knight pc port team, Asscreed Unity, and fucking Avalanche Studios (who I will never forgive for dropping Just Cause 3 in the pathetic state and not making one attempt at patching it).

CDPR might be the only ones who would never go this route. They're not raging assholes.

Seeing as how Publishers are now holding out releases on Friday's and charging $20 for the luxury of getting to play games "early" on Tuesday's now...other companies will follow suit. Why not.

For those who haven't seen it, Jim Fucking Sterling Son did a pretty good Jimquisition this week on this very topic.

Me thinks I'll wait a bit longer before getting Dishonoured 2 right now...

ZeniMax wanting to become a big conglomerate was a bad sign, I thought. Upping and purchasing id was surprising and kind of weird. It felt like shades of EA buying Bioware, and we all know how that turned out.

Bethesda has always put out buggy games, but with interests of their owning company shifting, it's bad news for the future of their games. I worry that Elder Scrolls 6 will end up being a disaster. Shit, it's not even in development yet and that in and of itself is a crime.

This practice doesn't incur trust, but you could just wait one week past every release date for reviews to hit.  It's not a huge deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

ZeniMax wanting to become a big conglomerate was a bad sign, I thought. Upping and purchasing id was surprising and kind of weird. It felt like shades of EA buying Bioware

Metacritic scores of games released by BioWare after they were bought by Electronic Arts:

Mass Effect: 91

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood: 74

Dragon Age: Origins: 91

Mass Effect 2: 94

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening: 82

Dragon Age II: 82

Star Wars: The Old Republic: 85

Mass Effect 3: 89

Dragon Age: Inquisition: 89

Quote:
and we all know how that turned out.

Reasonably well?

Announcements that EA bought Bioware started coming out in October 2007. Mass Effect was almost totally finished at that point, and came out in November 2007, so that's moot. Mass Effect 2 came out in 2010, but was pretty different from the original, and people were really pissed off at the pile of DLC that came along with it. Mass Effect 3 came out and while it holds a special place in my heart despite that shit ending, parts of the game were cut out and sold to us as DLC.

Development on Dragon Age: Origins was already in full swing by the EA purchase, but it was renamed to sell it as the first chapter in a franchise, and EA insisted on it being ported to various platforms. That's fine, I guess. But it led to Dragon age 2 coming out in 2011 and it was crap - let's be honest. We're far enough removed now that we can say that it was a cheap, rushed and lame follow-up to the great Origins, just to keep that money train rolling.

Oh, and both of the company's founders quit at the same time a few years ago, during Dragon Age: Inquisition's development.

So, yay for the totally honest and ethical games journalism field giving the games good reviews... but to say EA's ownership of Bioware has been awesome isn't accurate.

Not to mention the millions upon millions of dollars poured into THE OLD REPUBLIC MMO. They could have released it as KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC III on PS4/Xbone and made a shit ton of money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Development on Dragon Age: Origins was already in full swing by the EA purchase, but it was renamed to sell it as the first chapter in a franchise, and EA insisted on it being ported to various platforms. That's fine, I guess. But it led to Dragon age 2 coming out in 2011 and it was crap - let's be honest. We're far enough removed now that we can say that it was a cheap, rushed and lame follow-up to the great Origins, just to keep that money train rolling.

Oh, and both of the company's founders quit at the same time a few years ago, during Dragon Age: Inquisition's development.

God help me, I love DRAGON AGE II.  I know I'm wrong in this but I don't care.  I infinitely prefer it to INQUISITION.

I'm glad they didn't.  The Old Republic is terrific.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

God help me, I love DRAGON AGE II.  I know I'm wrong in this but I don't care.  I infinitely prefer it to INQUISITION.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

I'm glad they didn't.  The Old Republic is terrific.

Agreed, and I especially loved KotFE.  Some great stuff in there.

Happy new year you wonderfully magnificent pack of bastards! One of the newer young youtubers I've recently become sweet on (Harris Bomberguy) has done a great video on Bethesdas changing of their review policy. He's got a touch of the Jim Sterlings about him and this is definitely worth a watch...

Hadn't heard of him but I see what you mean by the Jim Sterling comparison. I'll throw a sub his way and see what else he's got.

Oh and happy new year to you too!