Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Crown - Netflix

I've always assumed that Season 3 would end with (or right before) the Charles/Diana wedding.  That rounds out the 1970s pretty effectively (they got married in 1980, I believe [checked...it was 1981]).  That leaves S4 for the 1980s, S5 for the 90s, and the final season for the oughts.

Getting Mirren back would be a real coup.  Interesting that HBC might play Margaret, as she played Margaret's mother in The King's Speech.

Quote:

Originally Posted by First Class 782 View Post

I've always assumed that Season 3 would end with (or right before) the Charles/Diana wedding.  That rounds out the 1970s pretty effectively (they got married in 1980, I believe [checked...it was 1981]).  That leaves S4 for the 1980s, S5 for the 90s, and the final season for the oughts.

Getting Mirren back would be a real coup.  Interesting that HBC might play Margaret, as she played Margaret's mother in The King's Speech.

Olivia Colman also played the Queen Mother in HYDE PARK ON HUDSON.

home taping is killing music

In a way, Sigourney Weaver played the Queen's mother in Alien3, so there's now a good chance she might also be cast in this show!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

Helena Bonham Carter "all but confirmed" to star as Margaret opposite Olivia Colman's Elizabeth: 

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entert...43451.html

I've been thinking of who they could/should get to play middle-aged Philip and I keep thinking about Douglas Hodge.

I had heard it was going to be Hayley Atwell.  I'm not sure about casting someone almost a decade older to play the younger sister, though i'm sure it won't be super noticeable.  If anything the roles should be reversed, in my opinion.  (My fan casting for Elizabeth in the middle seasons would be Jennifer Ehle.)

I found a list of possible castings that suggested Bettany as Philip.

That's great.

Almost anyone else would be a disappointment now that you've suggested Bettany. I recently watched his tv stint as the Unabomber and thought he was fantastic. Would love to see him tackle something like this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Whoops! Yes.

And who will play them, I wonder. And how they will portray Diana in this? They’ve been pretty raw with everyone else.

Man, I'm kinda disappointed now, because I had read some funny casting stuff that is apparently fake.  I heard that Neville Longbottom was going to play Charles- which made me guffaw, and seemed kind of perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I'm on episode away from episode six so I'll let you know! (ETA: Okay, I've seen the episode now and I wasn't aware of that aspect of his past either, so yes, he's a right cunt. I'd also like to echo the praise for Jennings in the role.)

I wonder what CHUD's Flint thinks of this show's portrayal of his father, Sir Robin Day, in episode five. The actor certainly looks and sounds the part.

Whilst narcissitically searching my own name I came across this. I think you're thinking of BlueLouBoyle, Sax. Smile My Dad is just some dude.

Oops! Apologies to Flint's dad.

Yeah, I meant Lou.

I am watching "Vergengeheit" and that opening with Jared Harris and Jon Lithgow only makes me want to watch a show with the two of them more. Also, damn Nazi sympathizers. I also just realized Billy Graham is still alive.

Helena Bonham Carter is set to take over as Margaret. Now, Paul Bettany has been announced as the new Philip:

https://www.hypable.com/the-crown-paul-b...ce-philip/

I'm...not so sure about this. I like Paul Bettany, but he looks nothing like an older version of Matt Smith. I wonder if it might have been better to simply age up the original cast.

Called it.

Definitely onboard for this. I think Bettany will be great.

I wonder if they're going to do a complete recast of all the roles, or just recast the core royals (Liz, Philip, Margaret, QM, and the kids). I only bring this up because I would be sad if Pip Torrens didn't recur as Tommy Lacelles, and I realized that as we move into the 1970s, Martin Charteris becomes the new Private Secretary at last. But the actor who played him in season 1, Harry Hadon-Paton, is starring as Higgins in MY FAIR LADY on Broadway this season.

Pip Torrens is so great but in this season he was already in retirement so I'll doubt he'll be back. His scene explaining what happened with The Duke of Windsor was one of my favorite scenes of the series. That slow push in as he explains with growing, barely subdued rage was the perfect way to tell that story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanburger View Post

Pip Torrens is so great but in this season he was already in retirement so I'll doubt he'll be back. His scene explaining what happened with The Duke of Windsor was one of my favorite scenes of the series. That slow push in as he explains with growing, barely subdued rage was the perfect way to tell that story.

I just mean Lascelles lived until 1981, so I was curious about it. You are right about that scene.

Torrens is great. I hadn't heard of him prior to this show, but he's also been doing amazing work over on season 2 of Preacher.

I hadn't heard of him before The Crown either, but he's literally been in everything British over the last 35 years: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pip_Torrens

Did I miss this news?

Quote:

After being near a deal to take over the role,  Paul Bettany as Prince Philip had a scheduling conflict and a deal fell through for him to take over the role from Doctor Who grad Matt Smith. A search for an actor to play Elizabeth's husband continues.

Dammit!

While he doesn't have the whole "romantic heart-throb" vibe that Smith does, I've been thinking Douglas Hodge would be great: 

http://img.sharetv.com/people/standard/d..._hodge.jpg

The age is right, while he's a bigger actor, I think he could slim down a bit. Plus, he has proven chemistry with Colman vis a vis THE NIGHT MANAGER.

Without that mustache and hair, I almost didn't recognize Pip Torrens.

I was reading an interview with Torrens about Preacher where he said he keeps his head shaved so he doesn't have to worry about changing it for a role and can do just about whatever.

Tobias Menzies has been cast as Prince Philip.

I love Menzies (he's currently kickin' ass over on The Terror) but I can't decide if he's right for this.

"If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists" -  The Manic Street Preachers

Steam ID: iammrsaxon / Blizzard ID: MrSaxon#2283 / Xbox ID: MR SAX0N
Menzies feels like a step down. He's one of our greatest working character actors when it comes to playing assholes (love him in NIGHT MANAGER), and he does a lot of good work with stillness.

That said, I'm constantly confusing him with Toby Stephens.
I had read months ago he was rumored to replace Goode as Tony, so at least this role makes more sense.

ETA- The rumors I read months back had Sophie Turner as Camilla, Florence Pugh as Diana, and Matthew "Neville Longbottom" Lewis as Charles (which is perfect.)

Side note: I still wish we had the version of Helena Bonham-Carter (the pre-Burton HBC) who would have been playing Elizabeth, rather than Margaret.  She's a better match for Foy, too.
Camila Bowles cast.
https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/10/the-cr...-cast.html
Because I'm nuts about the Royal Family, I subscribe to the Quora digest about them. Some of the questions are pretty stupid, but today there was one about times the Queen has cried in public. One of those times was apparently during the Aberfan disaster, which I didn't know about, and where (to put broadly) a coal slurry buried a small Welsh town, killing 144 people, including over 100 elementary aged children. That led me to this article from the BBC discussing how THE CROWN plans on depicting the event, including consulting with survivors and making the decision not to film in the town itself:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-45657560

And within that article is a summary of the season itself:

Quote:"The third season of The Crown will cover the major historical events of Elizabeth II's reign from 1963-1977 and all strongly felt the Aberfan disaster and the events that followed must be included, especially as it continues to hold a deep resonance for the nation and the Queen herself.

"As producers, we feel a responsibility to remain true to the memory and the experience of the survivors, so have met with community leaders, as well as the people of Aberfan on a number of occasions as part of our in depth research and to discuss our approach.

"We have been made to feel welcome by the residents who have been very helpful in providing insight into one of the most tragic events of the 20th Century."

And apparently Josh O'Connor, the star of GOD'S OWN COUNTRY, is playing Charles and Marion Bailey is the Queen Mother:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201...een-mother

I will say they weren't kidding when they said they were gonna recast everyone. Victoria Hamilton's almost 50 and could probably have pulled it off.
Continuing her trend of "playing famous figures in British history and or literature," Gillian Anderson will be playing Thatcher in season 4.

Anderson has already played two characters that have appeared on the Crown, having played Wallis Simpson in 2010 and the wife of Louis Mountbatten in 2017.
Season 4 already, huh? I assume they’re producing 3 and 4 at the same time. Did they do that with seasons 1 and 2? In any case, very much looking forward to this.
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
For some reason I found myself rewatching a bulk of Season 1 this week. Man, Foy and Smith are really good in this show.

Pip Torrens still robbed of an Emmy nom.
I finished my rewatch of season 1 and finally started in on Season Two, which I had not seen in its entirety, except for the episode about what a fucking Nazi Edward was.

I think between this and FIRST MAN, Claire Foy is just so brilliant at acting without "acting." She's an actor I love to watch think, or be still. She does so much with so little.

I'm about three episodes into season two, and I am just so impressed by what Matt Smith is doing here. It's probably my favorite work from him.
Indeed. So much of what Claire Foy does is in the eyes. Her face can be so stoic (as the woman she is trying to recreate), but you can see the struggle under it, but not too much. I don't know how you do that, but damn is it impressive.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
Season 3 has been dated, scheduled for right when Netflix will need it the most, on November 17th. About 1.5 weeks after Disney+ launches and gets a ton of attention in the media.

I still consider The Crown the best show of the past few years, so I'm extremely excited for it.
I'm not Avery.
I like how they're framing this season as "lighter than past seasons" when we know for a fact that they're going to cover the Aberfan disaster, where literally over a hundred kids died.

And maybe the assassination of Mountbatten by the IRA. Real light!

I'm excited for some of the additional casting, though: Charles Dance as Mountbatten, Derek Jacobi as secret Nazi the Duke of Windsor, Ben Daniels as Antony Armstrong-Jones, and maybe our first encounter with Gillian Armstrong as Thatcher.
Oh man. Oh man. 

This looks really great - lots of stuffy brits having emotional explosions about being repressed, and of course it looks gorgeous.

I'm surprised they're leaning so hard on the Charles stuff early, as I thought they were holding most of that back for season 4. I suspect that means we're getting the death of Mountbatten (Charles Dance) then. 

I remain surprised that they're downplaying Aberfan as much as they seem to be. You might want to warn people that your show to watch with the whole family has an episode centered around over a hundred kids being buried alive in a coal slurry.