Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Crown - Netflix
The champ is here. Looks tremendous.
I'm not Avery.
Not to Barry it up, but great review here. The choice to frame Aberfan (in the third episode!) as almost a prelude to stuff that played out in THE QUEEN (which I just watched again recently; pretty tremendous!) sounds really interesting.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/11/the-crow...eview.html
home taping is killing music
Season 3 dropped today, and we are all still talking about total bullshit in this forum. Went big on a Sunday and watched 5 episodes. Some thematic repeats, with more urgency, but the same sharp and beautiful show from the first two seasons. Colman and Menzies result in no drop off from the previous two brilliant performances. And Clancy Brown.
I'm not Avery.
I've been doing a rewatch so I'm behind on this.

But you bet your ass I skipped to the Aberfan episode because I'm a giant weirdo.

That was quite an episode. Some of the shots of the looming coal slurry were straight out of LORD OF THE RINGS. And the aftermath did a great job of framing it as "what if 9/11 and Sandy Hook were the same event?"

One of the things I realized on my rewatch is that my man Pip Torrens is basically playing Tommy Lascelles as Leo McGarry, if Leo were British and had ice in his veins.
Watched 6-8 tonight. All are excellent, but 6 and 7 are really something else. Speaking of one episode guest stars, Derek Jacobi shows up in 8. Great actors showing up to work with great actors.
I'm not Avery.
Nice surprise seeing Lithgow and Torrens show up. The flashbacks helped tie things to the first two seasons. Aberfan is definitely the highlight (that came out wrong) but I found every episode to be totally enveloping. The rare Netflix show that works better where you savor each episode instead of binging. Colman was perfect casting.
Only done the first episode so far and am struggling a bit because in addition to loving the Claire, Matt, and Vanessa show of the first two series, I am seemingly the only person on the planet who has never liked Olivia Coleman in anything so I’m finding it hard to get past that. And while I do like HBC, I’m just not feeling her Margaret either, it feels more like she’s playing herself if anything.

Did like the egg on Liz’ face when she’s told who the real spy was though, that was great.
Five seasons instead of six, Imelda as QEII for the last season:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/arts/...&smtyp=cur