Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Trumpocalypse Now

There IS a possibility that ACA will remain in some form. Trump and the GOP has been saying "repeal and REPLACE", not "repeal and forget about" Obamacare.

Replace with.... ________.

During the 2nd debate, Trump's answer was "I'll get some guy to work on some plan, probably. The best plan, very good plan." I'm sure the GOP have top men on it.

Its also worth mentioning that Colorado passed single payer and California passed some weird law that requires insurance companies to have the same practices as the VA.

While i feel for the people who are relying on expanded medicaid, fact is the majority of states still dont have it and even if they did it would not begin to address our health care issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

Replace with.... ________.

During the 2nd debate, Trump's answer was "I'll get some guy to work on some plan, probably. The best plan, very good plan." I'm sure the GOP have top men on it.

Lets not forget it was the republicans who wrote the ACA that you are now defending.

Maybe we should give him a chance.

Maybe he will let states be more lenient with what they are doing and we will see single payer take hold in many states?

To be more specific, I'm on Rhode Island's expansion of Medicaid coverage under the ACA.

A[quote name="Elahrairah" url="/community/t/156033/trumpocolypse-2016#post_4170350"]
Lack of empathy for who?
60% of working Americans make less than 30k and are working 1.7 jobs, have a 1,000 dollars or less in their savings account. They are one emergency away from devastation. 60% of the population, not whites, not blacks, no mexicans, just 60% of Americans. And the only people speaking to them in any way, right or wrong, lie or not, was Sanders and Trump.

[/quote]The problem with this narrative is that the majority of people making $40,000 or less a year voted for Clinton. It was 50k+ who went to Trump, with the majority in the 75k range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post

The problem with this narrative is that the majority of people making $40,000 or less a year voted for Clinton. It was 50k+ who went to Trump, with the majority in the 75k range.

Id be very interested to see some actual data on that because its contrary to the data we have had in the past. It also opposes much of what else has been out there.

Lets also not forget that he did what was nearly impossible because the working poor came out and voted. A segment that virtually gave up on voting. Which im sure by now has not been included in any statistics.

Can't they at least drop a surprise Episode VIII teaser to make us feel better?

The United States gives Mexico hundreds of millions of dollars in foreign aid every year. What if the Trump administration's way of making them "pay" for the wall is withholding those funds?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieFerguson View Post

Can't they at least drop a surprise Episode VIII teaser to make us feel better?

Oh man that would be perfect right about now.

That and booze. Much booze.  All the booze.

AOops. Someone really needs to update the summary for Full Frontal tonight.

[Image: 800]

I really hope her opening monologue is just sixty seconds of her screaming.   Because that's basically what I feel like doing right now.

Oh she is going to bring the fury tonight.

I can only imagine LWT willl be 40 minutes of anger and disgust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elahrairah View Post

Id be very interested to see some actual data on that because its contrary to the data we have had in the past. It also opposes much of what else has been out there.

Lets also not forget that he did what was nearly impossible because the working poor came out and voted. A segment that virtually gave up on voting. Which im sure by now has not been included in any statistics.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/...polls.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCA View Post

Except that she won the popular vote.  Ignorance is bliss.  Enjoy Trump as he dismantles everything you hold dear.  I hope it feels good to be so right.

Hey man I didn't vote for Trump. I was just explaining that Hilary wasn't very well liked by a lot of people (including me), despite her 30 years of public service.

She won the popular vote.... barely. Let's not pretend that she's some beloved American hero who got screwed over by the Electoral College system.

Quote:

This is not accurate, its going by old polls and assumed data.

Trump had to overcome a massive voting hurdle to win and he did so by getting a very large percentage of voters that people didnt poll, didnt expect because they gave up on voting, these polls are the same ones that suggested it was nearly impossible for a democrat to lose because of how insanely lopsided it was.

And the majority of these voters were the working poor, mostly white people, who gave up on voting becasue no matter what they did they still ended up without the job they are skilled to do and are instead working two or three minimum wage jobs in order to feed their family. Possibly one of the largest segments of our population that continuously goes ignored.

Quote:

Methodology

Data for 2016 were collected by Edison Research for the National Election Pool, a consortium of ABC News, The Associated Press, CBSNews, CNN, Fox News and NBC News. The voter survey is based on questionnaires completed by 24,537 voters leaving 350 voting places throughout the United States on Election Day including 4,398 telephone interviews with early and absentee voters.

Sanders and Warren both capitulating today and will work with Trump. That didn't take long for them to throw the people they fought for under the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

Sanders and Warren both capitulating today and will work with Trump. That didn't take long for them to throw the people they fought for under the bus.

Warren seems to be motivated by career.

Sanders still seems like he simply wants to do something positive.

More power to him if this is the case, and more power to him for abandoning the rebloodlicans and democrips nonsense. I dont know if its sincere, it seems like he is a the end of his career and simply wants to be known for doing something good for America.... and i mean... thats the attitude people need to have. We need to get something done in this country. We need to actually fix one goddamn problem we are faced with instead of bullshitting.

http://cdn.chud.com/b/b9/b93292cb_rocky-road.jpeg

https://youtu.be/mk82j1jQw_8?t=2m37s

Quote:

This is not accurate, its going by old polls and assumed data.

Quote:

Methodology

Data for 2016 were collected by Edison Research for the National Election Pool, a consortium of ABC News, The Associated Press, CBSNews, CNN, Fox News and NBC News. The voter survey is based on questionnaires completed by 24,537 voters leaving 350 voting places throughout the United States on Election Day including 4,398 telephone interviews with early and absentee voters.

Your own quote contradicts your assertion. It's an exit poll. By its very nature it is not 'based on old polls.'

I still remember many on here mocking Bernie winning in rural areas, and that Clinton beat him with every minority, in every city. You weren't alone. He never had a chance.

When Bernie lost, I quickly jumped aboard the Clinton ship, convinced myself that she had a great shot at winning, bought into all the polls that showed her winning by 3-4 points, phonebanked for her, and knocked on doors, and tried to convince all my friends who supported Bernie to support Clinton instead of supporting that idiot Jill Stein. I'm a loyal democrat. And the party failed me. Failed us.

And all I'm left with now is the sinking feeling that no one is going to learn anything from this, and that the progressive movement has been set back decades.

The Young Turks, Michael Moore, and others who knew this was coming, and tried to warn us will once again lead the fight. Many will mock them, many will blame them. Ok. Go try to play nice with establishment democrats who bow down to Trump and their donors. Have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post

Your own quote contradicts your assertion. It's an exit poll. By its very nature it is not 'based on old polls.'

Yah my bad i had to run to the store really quick before my pork was done, didnt have time to edit it so it came out incorrect.  I didnt mean old polls i meant to say old polling methods.

One of the major problems polls have is they tend to go to certain areas. Middle class areas, now mostly upper middle class areas. This is what i mean by old data its targeting old polling and what they think will be accurate. Because of this old polling method that ignores the largest demographics of voters, it leads to very inaccurate numbers.

Just realized that one of the worst aspects of all of this is that we're now going to be seeing Trump's head replacing Obama's in the Hardball opening credits every night for at least the next four years starting in January.

ASo was El Lala banned at some point, or did he just register another account to get around the fact that people had him on ignore?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto II View Post

Just realized that one of the worst aspects of all of this is the fact that we're now going to be seeing Trump's head replacing Obama's in the Hardball opening credits every night for at least the next four years starting in January.

As good of a speaker as Obama is, politically he is a corporate scumbag who is still attempting to pass shadow legislation laws, the TPP and maybe cutting SS... its been a while since ive heard of him attempting to do this, but i know he was for quite a while.

As for Hardball.... you should probably watch something else. Democracy Now does some great work. TRMM does fantastic work as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

So was El Lala banned at some point, or did he just register another account to get around the fact that people had him on ignore?

Its the backup account i use to contact an admin when a mod decides to do the opposite of what the admin told them to do.... or not to do.

Dont worry, ill be back to my old account once its fixed and ill be back on your ignore list.

Although i would like to point out, many Hillary supporters are in such shock because they refuse to expand discussion and listen to other people. And while i supported neither major candidates, it didnt surprise me, didnt shock me and i have a pretty good idea of what we will get out of Trump.

Quote:

Its the backup account i use to contact an admin when a mod decides to do the opposite of what the admin told them to do.... or not to do.

Dont worry, ill be back to my old account once its fixed and ill be back on your ignore list.

Although i would like to point out, many Hillary supporters are in such shock because they refuse to expand discussion and listen to other people. And while i supported neither major candidates, it didn't surprise me, didn't shock me and i have a pretty good idea of what we will get out of Trump.

You may want to rethink calling Obama a scumbag. He came into office having to deal with two wars a recession and Republicans refused to give him any help. He got unemployment

down to five percent, used diplomacy to keep Iran from building a nuke and to get Syria to destroy its chemical weapons. Yes the ACA isn't Single Payer, but nothing else would have passed Congress. I feel bad for Obama, he accomplished a lot and the country just said Fuck you! We want the dude with a reality show to be in charge.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

More like "the rich WHITE dude with a reality show" but it's still an excellent point.

Quote:

More like "the rich WHITE dude with a reality show" but it's still an excellent point.

Thanks.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

Obama problem is now the Clintons, and he been tainted by them. People like Trey Gowdy and Rudy Giuliani will now go after the Clintons like a pack of dogs after a bone. They will find some thing. Then it will lead back to Obama. 

I have too many mates on the other side of the world that I feel I need to stress this - move south guys. It's time to move to the southern hemisphere and start investing in gold and organic seeds. I'm not even kidding...

This is a turn of events we haven't had any kind of historical context for for at least three generations. Come to where it's safe®.

http://www.australia.gov.au/information-...-and-visas

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas

http://brazilimmigration.com/

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/

http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/index.php...n-services

ANew parenting goal:

"Here you go son, the world's just a LITTLE more fucked up than when I got it, but I banged the dents out as much as I could!"

Passing on a better world just isn't in the cards. It's good to have realistic goals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

You may want to rethink calling Obama a scumbag. He came into office having to deal with two wars a recession and Republicans refused to give him any help. He got unemployment

down to five percent, used diplomacy to keep Iran from building a nuke and to get Syria to destroy its chemical weapons. Yes the ACA isn't Single Payer, but nothing else would have passed Congress. I feel bad for Obama, he accomplished a lot and the country just said Fuck you! We want the dude with a reality show to be in charge.

Tricks and nonsense.

97% of our "economic recovery" has gone into the pockets of less than 2% of the nation.

When it comes to jobs they figure out all sorts of ways of how to not include people... who, very much exist.

And the jobs that have been created under his watch have mostly been BS min. wage jobs that do not even begin to replace the jobs we lost. Of course we can partially address this by increasing min. wage and expanding our safety, but he did not even begin to propose or process these things.

And the ACA does nothing but force people to buy from private insurance companies, only covers about 20% of the people who need expanded medicaid and does not even begin to touch on the issue of a for-profit health system that no other country has to deal with.

I guess from the perspective of scumbag corrupt politicians he has done more than some would have, but on the scale of practicing democracy, addressing a nations problems and not catering to corporations over people... hes been a horrific piece of shit that did not even attempt to do anything that got him elected.

I know people like to blame obstructionism, but obstructionism didnt make him support making the bush tax cuts that absolutely needed to be stopped, permanent. It did not make him support and attempt to pass the TPP and shadow legislation so they can pass laws without us knowing, and it did not make him contentiously attempt to cut social security when so many people cannot live on their SS as it stands. It did not cause him to ramp up drone strikes to a level that Bush only dreamed about. It did not keep him from closing gitmo asap. He seemed to love PIPA and SOPA until the shit hit the fan.

He did all of these things and so much more that has contributed to the US being a shit show, on his own. None of them being a result of being forced into it or obstructionism.

So after careful thought, i think its safe to say we can continue to call Obama a typical corporate scumbag politician. But hey, when he is up for election he is a great speaker and seems to know exactly what to run on right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeJota View Post

Hey man I didn't vote for Trump. I was just explaining that Hilary wasn't very well liked by a lot of people (including me), despite her 30 years of public service.

She won the popular vote.... barely. Let's not pretend that she's some beloved American hero who got screwed over by the Electoral College system.

Forget it man, people here sometimes thing simply making an observation equals making an edorsement.

And the fact that she and Bill became Mega Wealthy after leaving the White House is part of why people discount those "30 years of public service". Which, FYi isn't some huge sacrifice.

Quote:

"capitulate"? What were they supposed to do? Grab their guns and make like some Alt Right Militia members?