Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Trumpocalypse Now
(09-21-2018, 03:55 PM)boone daniels Wrote: The Attorney General of the State of New York's investigation into Trump doesn't go away if Mueller's fired, for one.

And I'm willing to bet Stage AGs figure predominantly into Mueller's presumed dead man's switch.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
From April but this Vox article has some possible outcomes

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/13/17231410/m...ump-russia
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
(09-21-2018, 03:43 PM)jmacq1 Wrote: Indictments to be prosecuted by...who exactly?  The office that was supposed to prosecute it (hypothetically) just got fired so....how do you envision that working out?  Mueller could drop a thousand indictments against every member of the administration, the entirety of the GOP in Congress, and then some, and it wouldn't make him any less fired the next day.

A prosecution run by a bunch of people that Trump's lapdog-replacement for Rosenstein/Sessions appoints?  Yeah, I'm sure they'll do a bang-up job on those cases....

Referrals to state AGs/Transfers to other federal jurisdictions?  I repeat:  Who's doing the referring/transferring when the office that's investigating the matter no longer exists, or has explicit orders from the person with authority over them not to pursue certain angles?

Like Bailey said, this is just as cynically simplistic as blind faith in a dead man's indictment protocol is optimistically simplistic.  Firing Comey was supposed to make the whole thing go away, but it exacerbated it and actually spurred Congress to action.  Is today's Congress going to be more or less compelled to act than that of 16 months ago if an even more brazen act of obstruction is committed?  Nervous as they are (on both sides) about the prospects of midterms?  With all the added indictments that have followed?  And other blatant displays of guilt, like Trump's servile performance in Helsinki?  

As to your specific questions, I'm no expert in the procedural arcana of what is essentially a high level RICO investigation.  Much of criminal procedure as it relates to actually prosecuting the Executive Branch, and it's ability to privilege and pardon itself out of such charges, is fairly untested.  The procedure for punishing abuse of authority in that realm is at least as much political as it is judicial.  And the final backstop, after the executive blatantly overreaches and the legislature abdicates its responsibility to remove him and the states are stymied from exerting pressure through the judiciary?  It's the same as it has been at every point in history, regardless of what political system is in place: an angry mob.  That's always going to be the bottom line, after the rules have been tossed aside.

You're asking what happens if, despite the law clearly forbidding it, Caesar goes ahead and crosses the Rubicon.  If history is to be our guide, then the first thing that happens is that the entire Republic collapses into civil war.  Assuming Caesar wins, the mob claps itself on the back as he bleeds out on the floor a few years later.  Further down the line, they name a salad after him.  Of course, Trump and Caesar differ in some crucial ways, most notably that one of them was actually popular.  

But the most direct answer to the question of what happens if Trump does his own Saturday Night Massacre, and the Republican Congress doubles down on sticking its head in the sand, and the midterms fail to deliver a Democratic Congress that can restart proceedings, is that Mueller's report goes public.  All of that information and evidence has been compiled, and it will find it's way out very quickly, probably even before a new Congress would be seated.  And there is no one, even on Trump's side, who seriously believes that it will be anything but packed to the gills with copiously detailed accounts of highly illegal and genuinely treasonous behavior at ever turn.  What exactly happens from there is anyone's guess, but there's really no plausible scenario where it has a calming effect on the mob.
The Republicans are giving Dr. Blasey Ford a 10 pm deadline to "accept their offer" to testify on Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1...0956230657
They just can't NOT try to force women, can they?
The 2016 election established Sauron in Mordor. Republicans retaining both majorities this year would give Sauron the One Ring. At that point, Mueller could prove that Trump helped Ted Cruz's dad kill JFK and it wouldn't matter.
(09-21-2018, 06:38 PM)bailey Wrote: They just can't NOT try to force women, can they?

Nope. The tactic is clearly to try to bully Dr. Blasey Ford out of appearing and then say "See! She couldn't even come by to substantiate her allegations! Nothing to see here! Let's confirm the fucker!"
You only forgot the part where they gather in the white house rose garden to share Bud Lights.

"We're not misogynists! Our wives and daughters love us!"

"Did anyone else just hear Ron Howard's disembodied voice say, 'They don't' in their head?"
Gamertag: Tweakee
I've said before and I'll say it again, Trump would have fired Mueller a looooooong time ago it he could. It's clear that almost everyone with a brain in the White House has told him that doing so would end his presidency. I find it hard to believe that he would fire Rosenstein with the hopes that his replacement would fire Mueller. Again, Trump knows this play and would have already used it, the fact that he hasn't means even he's smart enough to know the blow back would be incalculable. I would imagine at that point, actual pitchforks and torches would be seen en masse in major cities across America.
I like how we keep forgetting that the RNC are a bunch of shameless cretins who work only for their greed and their racism.

And they’re all rapists too.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
(09-21-2018, 08:15 PM)history buff Wrote: I've said before and I'll say it again, Trump would have fired Mueller a looooooong time ago it he could. It's clear that almost everyone with a brain in the White House has told him that doing so would end his presidency. I find it hard to believe that he would fire Rosenstein with the hopes that his replacement would fire Mueller. Again, Trump knows this play and would have already used it, the fact that he hasn't means even he's smart enough to know the blow back would be incalculable. I would imagine at that point, actual pitchforks and torches would be seen en masse in major cities across America.

It must have helped to keep him from jumping off that cliff that there is a direct historical precedent in the Saturday Night Massacre.  I still bet they have to re-explain that bit to him twice a week.
Uh, Ed "I'm gonna use Zillow to accuse some dude of raping Dr. Blasey Ford instead of Kavanaugh" Whelan appears to have already been looking into Dr. Blasey Ford before her name was released publicly.

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1043294324669210624

Well, that's... interesting.
I think Trump's natural cowardice has stopped him more than anything else. If he make big moves, it's almost always indirectly with (he thinks) lots of plausible deniability. There's no way to fire Mueller without taking responsibility, which freaks him out. So it's this constant tug-of-war between his cowardice and self-preservation.
I'm 100% certain that the Rosenstein story is #134 of the intentional bullshit "leaks" from the White House to try to both nudge the narrative in their direction, and gauge whether the public opinion will allow them to get away with the next stupidevil idea they're planning.

It's the same pathetic tactic Donny used in the private sector to try to shame famous women into dating him.

Thankfully, they've had very little luck budging public opinion at all. Which means Republicans in Congress won't line up and drop trou for it, either. Which means Drumpf & Co. will pretend like it never happened, except when he has a rally and forgets that it was his bullshit story to begin with.

And I hate posting twice in a row, but this is just too rich...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pau...5f8f9cfaed

Quote:David Brill, an Arizona Democrat going after Republican Rep. Paul Gosar’s seat in Congress, released a series of campaign ads on Thursday attacking Gosar’s character, morals and politics while urging Arizona residents to vote him out. 

The videos star none other than six of Gosar’s siblings ― David, Gaston, Grace, Jennifer, Joan and Tim ― who are all endorsing their brother’s opponent.

You're scraping the bottom of the barrel when your political candidates send their family running screaming to the other Party.
Gamertag: Tweakee
It's so embarrassing when you accidentally tweet out your DMs

According to a new court filing from A.J. Delgado, Jason Miller might even be a bigger piece of shit:

https://splinternews.com/court-docs-alle...7575293318

Quote:The ongoing custody battle between former Trump campaign operatives Jason Miller and A.J. Delgado has taken another nasty turn: In an explosive new court filing, Delgado’s legal team alleges that Miller—prior to their own high-profile extramarital romance—carried out an affair with a woman he met at an Orlando strip club. Additionally, the court documents claim, when the woman found out she was pregnant, Miller surreptitiously dosed her with an abortion pill without her knowledge, leading, the woman claims, to the pregnancy’s termination and nearly her death.

With these allegations entered into the court record, Delgado is asking the court to order Miller—whom the filing says has “unsupervised time” with their child—to undergo a psychological evaluation. The filing says that she fears for her and the child’s safety.

According to the court documents—which were filed in Miami-Dade Circuit Court on Sept. 14 and obtained by Splinter—the alleged relationship started in 2012, when Miller was working for prominent Republican ad firm Jamestown Associates. The filing alleges that Miller, whose Twitter bio states that he now works as managing director at Teneo Strategy and as a political commentator on CNN, brought clients to Rachel’s Gentleman’s Club in Orlando, where he met a dancer identified only as Jane Doe.

Hello, rock bottom?  When do we reach you?
(09-21-2018, 11:21 PM)farsight Wrote: I'm 100% certain that the Rosenstein story is #134 of the intentional bullshit "leaks" from the White House to try to both nudge the narrative in their direction, and gauge whether the public opinion will allow them to get away with the next stupidevil idea they're planning.

It's the same pathetic tactic Donny used in the private sector to try to shame famous women into dating him.

It's amazing how suddenly credible the NYT becomes to conservatives when it prints something they like.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
What a surprise....

Quote:Spokesman for GOP on Kavanaugh nomination resigns; has been accused of harassment in the past
An adviser for the Senate Judiciary Committee has resigned amid questions from NBC News about a previous sexual harassment complaint.
Quote:Garrett Ventry, 29, who served as a communications aide to the committee chaired by Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, had been helping coordinate the majority party's messaging in the wake of Christine Blasey Ford’s claim that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her 36 years ago at a high school party. In a response to NBC News, Ventry denied any past "allegations of misconduct."

After NBC News raised questions about Ventry's employment history and the sexual harassment allegation against him, Judiciary Committee Spokesman Taylor Foy replied in a statement: "While (Ventry) strongly denies allegations of wrongdoing, he decided to resign to avoid causing any distraction from the work of the committee."

Ventry also resigned Saturday from the public relations company where he had been on a temporary leave of absence to work for the Judiciary Committee, a company spokesman told NBC News.

Republicans familiar with the situation had been concerned that Ventry, because of his history, could not lead an effective communications response.

Ventry worked as a social media adviser in 2017 in the office of North Carolina House Majority Leader John Bell, who fired Ventry after several months.

“Mr. Ventry did work in my office and he’s no longer there, he moved on,” Bell told NBC News. He refused to discuss the precise nature of the firing.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson
Ventry is also connected to Ed Whelan and the CRC (PR firm responsible for Swift Boating John Kerry). This was blown wide open by some dude on twitter last night: https://twitter.com/warfarenavel/status/...2015524864

If anything it illustrates how PR people - at least the ones who are at the top of their field - have no souls.
I watched some of the debate between Beto and Cruz this morning. I couldn't help but be reminded of the JFK/Nixon debate.

Beto being all smooth and charismatic.....Cruz being all short and sweaty.

I hope Beto kicks his ass in the election [crosses fingers]
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson
(Yesterday, 05:58 AM)Iron Maiden Wrote: According to a new court filing from A.J. Delgado, Jason Miller might even be a bigger piece of shit:

https://splinternews.com/court-docs-alle...7575293318

Quote:[...]

Additionally, the court documents claim, when the woman found out she was pregnant, Miller surreptitiously dosed her with an abortion pill without her knowledge, leading, the woman claims, to the pregnancy’s termination and nearly her death.
Hello, rock bottom?  When do we reach you?
Jesus. It blows my mind how the closer you look with these people, the more Byzantinely awful things get. It's like a fractal of horribleness.
Cue the arguments "I thought you libtards all loved abortion? HYPOCRITES!"

(10 hours ago)vtran Wrote: I watched some of the debate between Beto and Cruz this morning. I couldn't help but be reminded of the JFK/Nixon debate.

Beto being all smooth and charismatic.....Cruz being all short and sweaty.

I hope Beto kicks his ass in the election [crosses fingers]

"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Beto did a pretty good job of calling out Cruz's numerous straw men and red herrings as he laid them. Pivoting to white privilege when asked about his DUI charge was fucking bold. It drew audible jeers from the audience.

But I don't even know how to gauge "the winner" of televised debates, anyway. It's basically a form of entertainment, in it's own subcategory of stagecraft. Is being likable and sticking to the issues what encompasses a good debate performance, or is the winner doing what Ted Cruz does - direct lies, obfuscation, and abusing the format. He's just so damn slippery, and with no shame. He used dead police AND his late sister to try and one-up Beto. He's such a slimy, eminently unlikeable person.

And maybe I'm imagining it, but Beto does seem to have a vocal cadence very similar to Obama. I wonder how much of that is intentional.
(9 hours ago)Amos Wrote: And maybe I'm imagining it, but Beto does seem to have a vocal cadence very similar to Obama. I wonder how much of that is intentional.

If you're going to steal, steal from the best.  No one's trying to emulate W. or 45 in the oratory department.
Dr. Blasey Ford is going to testify: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...39f713589e
It is, as the kids these days say, on.
My contempt for the lack of sympathy being expressed by the GOP side for the level of trauma this poor woman is about to endure (you know they're going to pull out every vile, slut shaming tactic they can and throw it at her full force in public) is equaled only by my complete lack of surprise that they're acting that way.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
(6 hours ago)superlaser Wrote: My contempt for the lack of sympathy being expressed by the GOP side for the level of trauma this poor woman is about to endure (you know they're going to pull out every vile, slut shaming tactic they can and throw it at her full force in public) is equaled only by my complete lack of surprise that they're acting that way.

You’d think it would be in their best interest to let Ford speak, ask a few respectful questions and shuffle her off as quickly and quietly as possible, then put the vote off the vote to inevitably confirm him for a week or so while Donny drums up some new Twitter outrages to distract people.

But I have little doubt that the spectacle we’re about to see will be absolutely disgusting.
It's just so confounding to me that they're this willing to go to the mat for a guy that the Heritage Foundation must have about fourteen functional replacements for lined up and waiting in the wings. Like, they've had three or four moments already where they could've taken the opportunity to go "oh, well, we *cough* weren't aware *cough* of this information, and in light of that we've chosen to put forward another nominee" and made a clean break with the whole ugly mess, but at every juncture they choose to keep pushing forward no matter how much worse it gets. Just baffling.
This is a party that locks in with a bad idea, doubles down and calls it "conviction."