Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Zealand earthquake

A[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/156042/new-zealand-earthquake#post_4172656"]Anyone heard from The NZ Natural?[/quote]

No, but I'm almost certain he's in Australia so doesn't have to worry about the ground moving, only about the insanely venomous things that skitter and slither across it.
AYeah, I think he's over the ditch.

Welly getting batteted by torrential rain and gale force winds today. My office still closed.

Lot of the (brand new) buildings on the waterfront are rooted. Heads will roll over that. One of them had a floor pancake onto the lower one. Extraordibarily lucky during the night or we'd be looking at a far worse picture. Looks like they were designed for sustainability but someone forgot they were on reclaimed ground in an earthquake prone region.

That has genuinely shocked me to my core. I thought the one thing we could do was build buildings that could stand up to earthquakes. AND it should have been checked post Christchurch.
AYeah, [@]The NZ Natural[/@] lives in Sydney. So no earthquakes, just post apocalyptic dust storms.
A[quote name="Andy Bain" url="/community/t/156042/new-zealand-earthquake#post_4172899"]Yeah, I think he's over the ditch.

Welly getting batteted by torrential rain and gale force winds today. My office still closed.

Lot of the (brand new) buildings on the waterfront are rooted. Heads will roll over that. One of them had a floor pancake onto the lower one. Extraordinarily lucky during the night or we'd be looking at a far worse picture. Looks like they were designed for sustainability but someone forgot they were on reclaimed ground in an earthquake prone region.

That has genuinely shocked me to my core. I thought the one thing we could do was build buildings that could stand up to earthquakes. AND it should have been checked post Christchurch.[/quote]

I remember about 5 years ago there were a couple of local engineers who were very critical of some of the work being done in structural engineering in this country but annoyingly I can't find a link to it right now. Will be interesting to see how the investigation develops.

It's a bit damp at the moment

Stranded cows rescued

Son of a bitch.

Storm ends and now the fucking quakes kick in again

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jones View Post

Stranded cows rescued

Thank God!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

Son of a bitch.

Storm ends and now the fucking quakes kick in again

You have too many earthquakes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

You have too many earthquakes!

No shit

View from Andy Bain's neighborhood:

The Morgul Vale is crawling with Orcs. Fires have been seen in Barad-dur. Mount Doom is belching smoke, and  Andenethor Bainstar, Bucho son of Bucho, and Jonesalas stand waiting for the coming storm.

I'm waiting for fire and pestilence to make their appearance.

That's not a stream, it's SH2, Northbound

video at https://twitter.com/bzzrkr/status/798299207182336000

A[quote name="Andy Bain" url="/community/t/156042/new-zealand-earthquake#post_4173224"]I'm waiting for fire and pestilence to make their appearance.

That's not a stream, it's SH2, Northbound

video at https://twitter.com/bzzrkr/status/798299207182336000 
[/quote]

Surreal.

Normally I'd be FURIOUS he filmed in vertical, but considering the circumstances I'm feeling pretty live-and-let-live about it.
AWoah, 313 earthquakes in 12 hours. 100,000 landslides (not sure how they work that out) and an 8 storey building in Wellington might collapse.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2...n-kaikoura
ANice overview of the science

http://info.geonet.org.nz/display/home/2...st+updates

We got our emergency kit ready today. Surreal feeling, packing a bag with spare clothes, sleeping bags, first aid, torches etc and food for three days.

That building that may or may not collapse is on my daily walk to work. It's literally 100m from one of the most earthquake safe buildings in the world, the MOH building which is fully quake isolated. My building got the all clear today. Mixed feelings after seeing the allegedly safe buildings get rooted. Oh to be in the MOH building Smile

So, aftershocks when on the 16th floor aren't as much fun as you'd think

Yeah I don't envy you that at all.  I homestly can't even remember the last time I was in a tall building.  Good idea to sort out an emergency kit.  Also putting car keys on a hook next to the front door might be smart too.  It wasn't until I was standing outside that I realised I'd have to go back in to get the keys.

AHow are those shakes going today chaps?

Big bag of arse. Had a sizeable mover just after 10.  Looking at GeoNet they seem to be moving up towards Welly.

That building on Molesworth St is scheduled to be taken down.

Went for a run along the waterfront this morning.  A) Was scanning to see what my nearest tsunami evac was and b) parts of it look rooted. All cosmetic I think, around the flash points that are designed to move.  Still freaky though.

And here's a video of just how fucked SH1 is near Kaikoura. Guy drives till he physically can't anymore.. because the road has jumped over a meter up.

AYeesh, they've been battered up that end of the South Island the last few years. I was over at Golden Bay after the massive storm and flooding in 2011 and the landscape was mad-scarred then, with huge slips blocking roads and entire farms stripped of their topsoil, broken trees strewn randomly about the joint, but the quakes have obviously done much worse.
AJesus. More buildings being avacuated.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/nz-earthqu...fety-fears
A"Evacuated"? As in, they let people go back in there THEN realized they were unsafe?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

"Evacuated"? As in, they let people go back in there THEN realized they were unsafe?

Oh yes.  And more evacuations today as well.

A[quote name="Andy Bain" url="/community/t/156042/new-zealand-earthquake/50#post_4174802"]Oh yes.  And more evacuations today as well.[/quote]

Wait ... does this mean they're letting people back into buildings before the assessments are complete, then evacuating upon completion of the assessment? Or are they letting them in after clearance but doing re-checks each day and finding new stuff that wasn't there in the first checks, because new stuff is shook loose by aftershocks?

Because if it's the former, WHYTHEFUCK?
ALooks like the former. For the college it was cleared for use, while engineers did further checks then they found cracks in the stairwell.

Housing NZ was given the all clear then staff noticed the floor was on an angle.

Omnishambles.
AYeah, it almost seems as if Justin Lester has been engaging in some good old "Mayor Larry Vaughning". They do seem to be doing rechecks after aftershocks though, so maybe it's a combination of both.

And look on the bright side -at least you're not in Kaikoura.

NZ World Of Warcraft player tries to keep playing during earthquake and eventually realizes that it's a BAD IDEA.

Meanwhile, his friends simply don't give a fuck.

AAaaaand another building evacuated, 2 weeks after the all clear was given

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/nz-earthqu...-stairwell

Fuck this "she'll be right" attitude we seem to have.
AIt's more than just embarrassing, it's bordering on criminal. When the horseshit "she'll be right" attitude leads to the slow rot of leaky buildings that's one thing, but when it could lead to collapsing buildings that's a whole other level of incompetence.