Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Who Do You Rely On?
Scary times for reporters, indeed:

https://twitter.com/MarquardtA/status/13...9024612358

Quote:"There's more of us than you...We could absolutely fucking destroy you." This was the moment at the Capitol the mob turned on our team. Shot by @RonnieMcCrayJr

Video at the link.
Pompeo gave a speech in which he decried censorship and authoritarianism overseas. When a ⁦Voice of America reporter tried to question him afterward, the Trump-appointed director demoted her:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle...story.html

Quote:The director of Voice of America ordered the reassignment of a reporter for the international news organization after she sought to ask questions of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during a VOA-sponsored appearance on Monday, according to several people who attended the event.

Patsy Widakuswara, who covers the White House for VOA, was ordered off the beat by Director Robert Reilly after firing questions at Pompeo after his speech and a brief Q&A session conducted by Reilly.

Pompeo, who had spoken about “American exceptionalism” and criticized oppressive regimes in China, Iran and elsewhere during his appearance, ignored Widakuswara’s questions as he left VOA’s headquarters in Washington.

Reilly, a former VOA director and conservative writer, was appointed to head the government-funded agency last month by Michael Pack, who since June has headed VOA’s parent organization, the U.S. Agency for Global Media.
Sadly, yes:

https://twitter.com/hunterw/status/1349710725367943168

Quote:The fact Politico gave prime real estate to Ben Shapiro the day after he claimed *everyone* has zip tie restraints at home in an attempt to minimize the Capitol riots and it all being sponsored by the oil and gas lobby tells you more about DC than any newsletter scoop could.
"Completely false."

You're kidding!

The statement is at the link.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/conserva...etraction/

Quote:Right-wing online opinion website American Thinker has issued a retraction of false, unsupported, and debunked stories it published about Dominion Voting Systems and the company’s role in the 2020 presidential election.

Dominion is one of the companies that has been targeted by conspiracy theorists claiming President Donald Trump actually won the 2020 election.

Friday’s online statement, posted by American Thinker editor and publisher Thomas Lifson, was notable for its careful wording, which seemed to acknowledge that it would likely lose a defamation lawsuit by Dominion, rather than sincerely taking responsibility for publishing information it knew not to be true.

“We received a lengthy letter from Dominion’s defamation lawyers explaining why they believe that their client has been the victim of defamatory statements,” Lifson wrote. “Having considered the full import of the letter, we have agreed to their request that we publish the following statement[.]”
Now, this is a lede!

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1...8464125954

Quote:Support your local newspapers, folks. This is gold.

[Image: Ers5wUCVkAII_iI?format=jpg&name=medium]
OAN quietly deleted articles about Dominion Voting Systems despite publicly doubling down on election conspiracy theories:

https://www.businessinsider.com/oan-dele...acy-2021-1
https://news.yahoo.com/york-times-editor...4XruPxdzDI

Quote:A New York Times editor lost her job after receiving criticism for tweeting about her excitement for President Joe Biden's inauguration.

Journalist Yashar Ali broke the news of Lauren Wolfe's departure from The Times in a series of tweets last Thursday, saying that she had been let go from her editing job at The Times for tweeting about her "chills" seeing Biden land at Joint Base Andrews on the eve of his inauguration.

"Biden landing at Joint Base Andrews now. I have chills," she tweeted on January 19, adding a screengrab from CNN of a plane landing.

According to Ali, Wolfe also tweeted that the Trump administration had been "childish" in not giving Biden a military plane to fly to Washington, DC, but later deleted that post when people pointed out that Biden had chosen to fly private.

A friend of Wolfe's had a Twitter thread in her defense:

https://twitter.com/JShahryar/status/135...2069019649

Quote:But it wasn't just the faceless, nameless Russian bots and fascists who went after Lauren. 

They physically stalked Lauren. They took pictures of her with her doggo Moose. They published those pictures on the @NYPost. THEY. WENT. AFTER. HER.

For years, Lauren and I would talk on the phone and most of it would be consumed with how she basically lived her life around talking to women who had been violently raped in Syria that few people were seriously covering. 

She was dedicated to the point of harming her health.

There were times when we spoke on the phone where I was torn between admiring the only journalist seriously pursuing the larger picture of thousands of women who were violently raped in Syria...

And begging my friend to stop because she was exposing herself to extreme trauma.

A lot more at the link.  Wolfe did excellent work, uncovering terrible violence.
Here's a critique on how The New York Times is covering Biden so far compared to Trump:

https://pressrun.media/p/after-touting-t...pulist-new

Quote:After foolishly labeling the faux billionaire a "populist" for years, the Times focuses on Biden optics, eagerly combing over Inauguration Day photos in hopes of finding expensive items that can be used to raise doubts about Biden's humility. The emphasis is odd, considering the same newspaper over the weekend reported on a behind-the-scenes plot by Trump to fire his attorney general during the waning days of his presidency and appoint a Department of Justice loyalist who would order Georgia election officials to overturn the state's results from November.

Basically, Trump was considering appointing himself king and destroying American democracy, and only stopped when it became clear the entire top leadership of the DOJ would quit if he fired the attorney general, sending the country into an unprecedented Constitutional crisis. Against that backdrop, it's peculiar to be detailing how much Joe Biden's watch and workout bike cost. This coverage seems to come from a gnawing feeling among the D.C. press that Biden isn't who he says he is, that there's a phony lurking in the background.

It's a longtime game the Beltway press has played with Democrats, assuming that wealthy Democrats can't also be champions of the middle class, and that there is built-in hypocrisy if they push an agenda for the working class when left-leaning politicians are no longer part of that economic group themselves. The gotcha formula is strange, because wealthy politicians who advocate for the poor should be celebrated, not questioned. By definition, they're not looking out for themselves, or their one percent tax bracket. Instead, they're using their positions in power to try to advance an agenda of justice and lifting people up.  
Recent reporting from the Los Angeles Times forced CBS to, in effect, admit that it’s own investigation into its corporate culture was a coverup:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-ar...llegations

Quote:ViacomCBS has suspended the two powerful heads of its TV station group, Peter Dunn and David Friend, amid widening allegations that the pair cultivated an environment that included bullying female managers and blocking efforts to hire and retain Black journalists.

In a statement late Monday, CBS said the two veteran executives were “placed on administrative leave, pending the results of a third-party investigation into issues that include those raised in a recent Los Angeles Times report. CBS is committed to a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace where all voices are heard, claims are investigated and appropriate action is taken where necessary.”

CBS took action just one day after The Times published an investigation that detailed how senior executives disparaged CBS station employees in Philadelphia, the nation’s fourth-largest media market. Dunn ran the Philadelphia station from 2002 through 2004 before several promotions. For the last 11 years, he has been in charge of CBS’ 28 television stations across the country, including KCBS-TV Channel 2 and KCAL-TV Channel 9 in Los Angeles.

The division has 2,800 employees and provides local news for millions of viewers who live in cities where CBS owns a TV station, including Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, Chicago and New York.

Hours after The Times published its investigation Sunday, the National Assn. of Black Journalists met with high-level ViacomCBS executives, including CBS Entertainment Chief Executive George Cheeks and ViacomCBS Executive Vice President Marva Smalls, who oversees the company’s diversity and inclusion efforts. During that meeting, NABJ leaders said they raised other complaints and demanded that CBS fire Dunn and one of his lieutenants, Friend, the senior vice president for news.

Current and former CBS executives also questioned the thoroughness of CBS’ high-profile 2018 investigation into corporate culture, saying the outside law firms were aware of allegations about Dunn and Friend. The Times review of court filings, CBS’ internal communications and interviews with two dozen current and former CBS television station employees found that many were troubled by the outcome of the investigation and questioned the company’s commitment to cleaning up its culture.
Conservative media have "smart governance" down for DeSantis:

https://twitter.com/ibflorea/status/1355186035555266563

[Image: Es5_oXQXAAMT1Dh?format=jpg&name=900x900]
This Newsmax segment on censorship ends with Mike Lindell getting censored since the company had to point out their Dominion nonsense was, well, nonsense due to lawsuit threats.

It's a wonderful clip that says so much:

https://twitter.com/LevineJonathan/statu...8782303233
That's one hell of a disclaimer:

https://www.vox.com/2021/2/5/22268492/mi...tion-fraud

Quote:MyPillow CEO and staunch Trump loyalist Mike Lindell has a new documentary out, pushing his long-debunked lies about former President Donald Trump’s loss to President Joe Biden being the product of fraud. It debuted on OAN on Friday. But before it began, the network wanted viewers to know just one thing: The two-hour special, ironically titled “Absolute Proof,” is just one guy’s account of “what may have happened.”

“Michael James Lindell has purchased the airtime for the broadcast of this program on One America News (‘OAN’) network,” begins the 90-second disclaimer.

“In particular, OAN does not adopt or endorse any statements or opinions in this program regarding the following entities or people: US Dominion Inc. (and any related entities); Smartmatic USA Corp.; Brian Kemp; Brad Raffensperger, or Gabriel Sterling,” it adds.
https://gfile.thedispatch.com/p/the-ghos...ng-machine

Quote:The paradigm of Trumpism is entertainment. Arguments now are about the marshaling of passions to will into existence what we want to be true, not to reveal what is true. There has always been plenty of this in politics. The difference today is the battlespace of our brains has been prepped by technology that yields bespoke reality. Our ability to recognize appeals to passion and feelings has been degraded by the elevation of feelings and passion as dispositive of major controversies, while things like historical knowledge, principle, dogma, and healthy religious orthodoxy have been downgraded by constant bombardment. When I was writing this, a friend of mine informed me by text that the head of the Texas GOP wants a referendum on secession. Such madness is possible in a world where people have internalized the idea that everything is permitted and life is a choose-your-own-adventure video. When Marjorie Taylor Greene finished her press conference, Matt Gaetz—a poster boy of everything wrong with conservatism and politics today—said, “That was so good I almost had to smoke a cigarette afterwards.” This is brain rot.
I

've been going on this site The Dispatch for quite a bit; it is a conservative news site. But the difference is is that the writers actually seem intelligent and mentally sane? It says so much about the state of politics that when a conservative news site does the bare minimum and actually delivers the news in an intelligent manner instead of YOLOing up conspiracy theories and alt-right memes. It's the conservatives that I think many of us are desperate for, if there were ever a kind of conservative like that before.  At the end of the day, I do think that a healthy amount of conflict is good for America. It forces you to consider what the other side is thinking. I mean, I'm just a black guy in New Jersey; no matter how much I read and listen, that's always going to be my perspective.

Of course, the problem is is that the rot is so fucking large and deep in the Republican Party that it has become all but impossible to empathize with . How can I when Conservatives have embraced nihilism as their main m.o.? They don't care anymore: So long as they take down as many liberals as they can, they don't even care if they get blasted in the process.  How does that help any of us.

So while they are distinctly conservative, and I disagree with a lot of their points, I'm rooting for guys like The Dispatch. I'm hoping that a saner, thoughtful version of the GOP wins out, because I rather have that as an opponent than the monster the GOP are just quickly growing into.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
Another frivolous lawsuit bites the dust:

https://lawandcrime.com/first-amendment/...n-lawsuit/

Quote:A federal judge in California has ordered Herring Networks, the parent company of far-right conservative media organization One America News Network (OAN), to pay MSNBC and host Rachel Maddow $250,000 in attorney’s fees stemming from a defamation lawsuit that was dismissed last year.

Herring in July 2019 filed a lawsuit against Maddow which claimed the liberal host had defamed OAN when she discussed reports that one of the network’s contributors also worked for the Russia state news organization Sputnik. Maddow went on to state that OAN “literally is paid Russian propaganda,” which OAN’s parent company claimed was false and defamatory. Herring, the parent company, then filed a defamation lawsuit seeking $10 million.

Attorneys representing Maddow and MSNBC responded by filing a special motion to strike the case under California’s Anti-Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation (Anti-SLAPP) law. Such measures are meant to prevent people and companies from using the courts to stifle constitutionally protected First Amendment speech.

Siding against OAN, U.S. District Judge Cynthia Bashant, an appointee of President Barack Obama, dismissed the suit with prejudice.  Bashant reasoned that there was “no set of facts that could support a claim for defamation based on Maddow’s statement.”
A Politico writer spent the entire day watching OAN, and holy hell this sounds like a fucking nightmare.  Is it any wonder that an increasing amount of people are so fucked in the head?
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2...urs-466134
Quote:And then, on Monday, February 1st, 2021, I began my morning by hating the Democrats for 10 minutes.
At 7:40 a.m. One America News aired, in immediate succession, the following segments:
— A lawyer suggesting Trump’s impending post-presidency impeachment trial was unconstitutional
— A professor claiming Biden’s gender equality council would exacerbate racial and gender tensions, arguing that it was racist against Black men
— A report suggesting that a Biden appointee had connections to his son Hunter, under investigation for business dealings with China. (Well, almost: Nicholas McQuaid, the acting attorney general of the criminal division, was previously a partner at the same multinational law firm as Hunter’s defense attorney.)
— An update on the Covid-19 relief package, implying that Dems were about to throw bipartiship aside and sidestep Republican lawmakers through using the budget reconciliation process
— A report swiping Biden for halting troop withdrawal from Afghanistan, breaking Trump’s “historic peace agreement with the Taliban”
— A segment about millennial MAGA influencer Gavin Wax holding a press conference in front of Wall Street about the GameStop controversy, while wearing a Robin Hood hat
— The assault on the Democrats went on for hours, and hours, and hours, an endless march of enmity anchored by fresh-faced young white women with perfect, HD-friendly skin, and the occasional middle-aged adult man.

"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
https://mobile.twitter.com/mathewi/statu...2903008257

The Times has been under the microscope for not doing more pertaining to this 2019 story, until now:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/studen...d=msedgntp

Quote:A student on the New York Times' infamous 2019 trip to Peru said that Times reporter Donald McNeil Jr. declared "racism is over" in a conversation with her — in addition to his widely reported use of the N-word that led to his ouster from the paper earlier this month.

Sophie Shepherd, who had just graduated from Phillips Academy Andover when she went on the summer trip, told the Times media columnist Ben Smith that McNeil behaved like a "grumpy old guy" but made a series of provocative statements to her and to other students.

According to Shepherd, McNeil told her at one point, "It's frustrating, because Black Americans keep blaming the system, but racism is over, there's nothing against them anymore — they can get out of the ghetto if they want to."

Shepherd also recalled McNeil's use of the N-word in a discussion about racism — which prompted an almost immediate reaction from her fellow students.

A second on the trip told Smith: "I'm very used to people — my grandparents or people's parents — saying things they don't mean that are insensitive.  You correct them, you tell them, 'You're not supposed to talk like that,' and usually people are pretty apologetic and responsive to being corrected. And he was not."

Smith also noted that none of the students on the two-week trip, which cost $5,490 not including airfare, were Black. In addition, he reported that the paper does not plan to continue with sponsored trips for students when pandemic restrictions lift.

In his column, Smith also explored "morality plays" that have gone on within the Times as it reckons with "a thriving digital subscription business that makes the company more beholden to the views of left-leaning subscribers."

Debate about McNeil's resignation has played out in both the newsroom and online. Some within the organization are angry that the paper's leadership knew about the accusations in 2019 and did not discipline McNeil hard enough at the time, though Sunday's column reveals the Times' employee union fought "aggressively" to protect him at the time. Others decry the ouster as an example of "cancel culture."
My girlfriend works for The New York Times, so she was there right when the bubble was about the burst on that story. Basically she belongs to a Slack group specifically for African Americans who work at the Times, and they routinely deal with the out of touch, usually white, leaders that make up upper management.  She showed me the posts that described the events of that day, as well as a letter from one of the heads of NYT basically saying that the person in question was "punished," despite not revealing what that punishment was and the fact that said person still had a job at the NYT.  The tone of the letter in question seemed to suggest that he knew that a shitstorm was about to begin.  And sure enough....

My girlfriend mentions that the problem with the NYT, and a lot of other companies, is that companies will hire and protect anyone deemed "great," and "gets things done," regardless of how toxic they actually are to fellow employees.  Doesn't help that upper management tend to be filled with like-minded, typically white and male, individuals who either don't understand the sort of issues that are becoming prevalent in companies or are outright hostile to it.

And I have no idea how anyone could defend what that asshole said, and still try to claim him a victim of "cancel culture."  Fuck off with that noise.
Yeah, the "gets things done" mentality leads to so much toxicity. The amount of people I know who have horror stories of working with people like that - both in the private sector and in government - is pretty large. It becomes about a bottom line, even if the people at the top are aware of past problems.
https://mobile.twitter.com/saikatc/statu...2083613699

Hedge funds do not rescue newspapers, but here we are again:

https://twitter.com/chicagotribune/statu...1369805824

Quote:Tribune Publishing, publisher of the Chicago Tribune and other major newspapers, has agreed to be acquired by Alden Global Capital in a deal valued at $630 million.
"Imagine being the country that has watched the last four years unfold in the U.S., with its bloodlines so easily traceable to the Fox sensibility, and is nonetheless thinking: let’s have a bit of that."

Murdoch plans to bring Fox playbook to the UK.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/16/world...d=tw-share
I won't attach the photo, but a certain fascist outlet is saying nice things about Glenn Greenwald:

https://twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/136...4962702336
Okay, now they're going too far.  Leave the doggos out of this!

https://twitter.com/aliciasadowski6/stat...5140751363

Quote:Newsmax guest attacks Biden's dogs for being dirty and "unlike a presidential dog"

Video at the link.
Hey, they're much cleaner than the previous Presidential Bitch, Lindsay Graham!
Gamertag: Tweakee
https://mobile.twitter.com/mattdpearce/s...7539872769

Newsmax really sounds like a brain-melting plot:

https://www.mediaite.com/online/diamond-...d-bake-it/

Quote:Newsmax TV hosts Diamond and Silk (Lynnette Hardaway and Rochelle Richardson) have dropped a new rap song in response to Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates saying that the United States should move towards “100% synthetic beef.”

The rap released on Saturday night urges the government not to start “messing” with their meat.

“Don’t be messing with our meat, cuz you know we love to eat, we grill it, fry it, shake it, and bake it and eat it with our teeth,” Hardaway begins.

“Yum, yum,” Richardson then interjected.

“Don’t forget the season salt, the hot sauce, or the barbeque sauce to top it all off,” Hardaway added, all while Richardson’s spitting of the beat became ever more intense.

“Don’t mess with the cow because you ain’t down, don’t be messing with our meat,” Hardaway concluded.
I'll just wait for the Vegan rebuttal via drum circle then.
I know the term "minstrel show" gets thrown around a lot, but just damn...

You know this is just driving them crazy:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1365344632419348483

Quote:Wow. Right Side Broadcasting cut away from the big lie CPAC panel discussion so hosts could read a disclaimer protecting the network from legal liability.

Video at the link.
(02-22-2021, 11:03 AM)JMurdoch Wrote: I'll just wait for the Vegan rebuttal via drum circle then.

Drum circles are so pre-Trump bro, The Modern Left prefers Vegan Hardcore.
I remember something similar happening on Tucker Carlson's show a few years back where he was complaining about The New York Times' not covering a story before his guest had to tell him that the publication actually broke the story.  He awkwardly moved on and never spoke of it again.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-jason-c...the-story/

Quote:Apparently unsatisfied with the Times’ breaking news report, Chaffetz took aim at media outlets for failing to hold the governor accountable.

“We will see what the media does. They’ve been very tepid in doing this. Only the New York Post the handful of others have covered this with a seriousness that it takes,” he said. “The New York Times and other big media outlets have been far behind.”

Turner then cut in to remind Chaffetz that the Times “broke that story.”

“We wouldn’t even be talking about it without The New York Times,” she added. “Just pointing that out.”

Chaffetz went on to claim that they were “slow to the mark” despite the fact that they were actually the first media outlet to report on Bennett’s accusations.
Since Biden became president, MSNBC's ratings have been growing.

The network is number one for the first time ever:

https://twitter.com/trymainelee/status/1...7909030913

Quote:Big up! Thank you to our viewers for making @MSNBC #1 in cable for the first time ever.