Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Theme/Amusement Park Thread
AI get confused when I can't go from the Haunted Mansion to Fantasyland.

"This is laid out way better in Orlando."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

Can't they rig 'em up with shock collars or something to make them move?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

The safari ride should just be cast members dressed as animals.

This change has no effect on my shock collar suggestion.

AI'd feel okay with it if it were cast members.

The wife and I have had amazing luck with the safaris at Animal Kingdom.  No matter when we've gone (morning or afternoon), all of the animals have been up and at 'em.  One time, we even had to stop (which in turn stopped all of the trucks) for about 15 minutes while a bunch of giraffes were essentially blocking the road in front of us and checking us out.  We got fantastic pictures.

AEven though one of my roommates worked on the safari ride, I somehow managed to never do it.
ADid anyone ever do the Alien Encounter attraction when it was in Tomorrowland?

It's got to be the most insane thing ever to be greenlit for the Magic Kingdom. From what I understand, it was originally going to feature a Xenomorph, but they ultimately settled on a slightly less menacing winged alien monster.

The premise is that you're attending a demonstration where an alien businessman (played by Jeffrey Jones) is going to teleport himself across the galaxy to the auditorium you're in. But the signal gets messed up, and instead a spider-alien with bat wings appears in the teleportation chamber in the center of the room. It escapes and the lights go out.

The seats are rigged so that you can feel the alien jumping on your chair, breathing in your face and licking the back of your neck. It even eats a technician upstairs, and you can feel his "blood" dripping on you.

It'd be an amazing experience for a park like Universal. But I guess Disney got way too many complaints from angry parents. Now it's some Stitch bullshit.
AI did Alien Encounters once when it first debuted.. Which was what, late 90s?

I was thrown off at first because from what I remember, the ads for it gave me the impression it was an actual "ride"

The ride would have been better if you were simply just locked in a room with Jeffrey Jones as his character from "Howard the Duck"
A....or, according to his extra curricular activities, just Jeffrey Jones himself...
AYeah, I did it back in '99. They'd already made some tweaks to the preshow. I guess Phil Hartman(!) had been the original voice for the robot S.I.R., but they replaced him with Tim Curry to make it creepier and set the tone for what's coming.

One of my first jobs was working at Six Flags for a couple of seasons.  I was a Ride Operator and eventually had so many ride certifications that I could be going between ten different locations on a given day.  It was a lot of fun, particularly because I had great co-workers and took advantage of the free admission whenever I could.

AReally? I knew someone who'd worked at Six Flags, and she said everyone there was on meth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post

One of my first jobs was working at Six Flags for a couple of seasons.  I was a Ride Operator and eventually had so many ride certifications that I could be going between ten different locations on a given day.  It was a lot of fun, particularly because I had great co-workers and took advantage of the free admission whenever I could.

I think my first "paycheck" job was at Wild Rivers in Irvine.  Ahhh....good memories.  Carrying tubes around, working at the stands, etc.  They called us "trainees" until we completed ninety (90) days so they could pay us below minimum wage.  And they defined ninety (90) days as "the equivalent of 90 eight hour shifts," so if you were only working four hours a day it took two days to finish one of the ninety "days."  And lunch hours weren't included in the accounting of hours.   I was paid $4.00 an hours and had a deduction for my uniform for the first month or so as well.

After an eight hour shift in the hot sun, my take home pay was a few cents over 20 dollars.  This experience is one of the reasons why I go after scumbag employers who cheat employees whenever I can.

Quote:

Really? I knew someone who'd worked at Six Flags, and she said everyone there was on meth.

Well, I never said what made them great...like their willingness to trade shifts for meth.

AWhen I did two college internships at WDW in Orlando, I lived on-property at an apartment complex with everyone else who was in the college program. Disney would just deduct out rent right out of our paychecks.

There were a lot of folks who washed out of the college program when they realized their job was actual work. I certainly didn't find what I did particularly rewarding, but I did get to hang out at Disney World on my days off, not something I could do in my crummy college town.
Quote:

When I did two college internships at WDW in Orlando, I lived on-property at an apartment complex with everyone else who was in the college program. Disney would just deduct out rent right out of our paychecks.

There were a lot of folks who washed out of the college program when they realized their job was actual work. I certainly didn't find what I did particularly rewarding, but I did get to hang out at Disney World on my days off, not something I could do in my crummy college town.

That sounds pretty cool.  Just ride Indiana Jones all day.

AWDW doesn't have Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye; we've been over this.

I rode the original Star Tours a shitload of times, tho.
A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/156050/the-theme-amusement-park-thread/30#post_4174763"]WDW doesn't have Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye; we've been over this.[/quote]

Wink
Quote:

Did anyone ever do the Alien Encounter attraction when it was in Tomorrowland?

It's got to be the most insane thing ever to be greenlit for the Magic Kingdom. From what I understand, it was originally going to feature a Xenomorph, but they ultimately settled on a slightly less menacing winged alien monster.

The premise is that you're attending a demonstration where an alien businessman (played by Jeffrey Jones) is going to teleport himself across the galaxy to the auditorium you're in. But the signal gets messed up, and instead a spider-alien with bat wings appears in the teleportation chamber in the center of the room. It escapes and the lights go out.

The seats are rigged so that you can feel the alien jumping on your chair, breathing in your face and licking the back of your neck. It even eats a technician upstairs, and you can feel his "blood" dripping on you.

It'd be an amazing experience for a park like Universal. But I guess Disney got way too many complaints from angry parents. Now it's some Stitch bullshit.

Yeah, the original version was something else.  Legit scary and unlike anything else in the park.  And yes, parents complained to high heaven and Disney gutted it and brute forced it into a pretty weak Stitch attraction which is on its last legs -- it's gone to seasonal operation only as a prelude to eventually shutting down.

The xenomorph rumors are true from what I've heard as well.  Although I heard it was a rights/money issue more than the scariness that nixed the idea.

AOh man, that would've been so dope!

It's crazy enough that you go through the Nostromo on the Great Movie Ride. I don't recall the Xenomorph animatronic doing anything when I saw it there.
AThere's one that comes down from the ceiling and does some menacing stuff, but that's about it. They don't call it the Great Snoozy Ride for nothing.
AI loved the Great Movie Ride as a kid.

That and Spaceship Earth at Epcot were two of my favorites that alot of people would rag on.

Spaceship Earth was great when Walter Cronkite narrated.

I also loved the smell of the synthetic smoke near the beginning with the cavemen.

The current version of Spaeship Earth is decent; if anything, it's sitting down in air conditioning for a good bit, although Ellen's Energy Adventure is the undisputed king in that department.  I've taken naps on that thing.

Honestly, my EPCOT visits are usually about food and drink in the Showcase and not so much with Future World.  I can -- and have -- killed an afternoon going back and forth between the taiko drummers in Japan and the British rock cover band in the UK.  With the appropriate adult beverages, of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

The current version of Spaeship Earth is decent; if anything, it's sitting down in air conditioning for a good bit, although Ellen's Energy Adventure is the undisputed king in that department.  I've taken naps on that thing.

Honestly, my EPCOT visits are usually about food and drink in the Showcase and not so much with Future World.  I can -- and have -- killed an afternoon going back and forth between the taiko drummers in Japan and the British rock cover band in the UK.  With the appropriate adult beverages, of course.

Jesus...no wonder we get along so well.  I LOVE watching the Taiko drummers at Japan, and it's fun to watch the cover bands (sometimes) that play in the bandshell across from The American Adventure (there was a good U2 cover band there a few years ago).

Ellen's Energy adventure is handy if you need to get out of the sun and take a siesta for 45 minutes.  This is easily the most replaceable ride in EPCOT, and it rivals Stitch's Great Escape in terms of being useless.

They have a daily show in the UK that's just four guys covering old '60s and '70s British rock songs multiple times a day, with each show having a different set list.  Got good and smashed on some Innis & Gunn and watched four shows one day and have zero regrets.

Quote:

They have a daily show in the UK that's just four guys covering old '60s and '70s British rock songs multiple times a day, with each show having a different set list.  Got good and smashed on some Innis & Gunn and watched four shows one day and have zero regrets.

I remember them being decent as well, especially when they dive into The Kinks.

The band at Canada (Off Kilter, I think) isn't bad either, as I recall.

Off Kilter was there, but they've been gone for almost two years now.  There's a new group there that's got a similar style, just less bagpipes and more fiddles.

AThe last time I was at Epcot, I was too young to drink.

:'(
Quote:

Yeah, the original version was something else.  Legit scary and unlike anything else in the park.  And yes, parents complained to high heaven...

Why couldn't they just declare it a PG-13 ride or something and let it stay? Surely there are some other attractions they don't let little kids on.

Also, I love this thread.

AThey had warnings all over the queue. The full name for the attraction was the "Extra-TERROR-estrial Alien Encounter" if I remember right. But parents just assumed that it'd be fine for their tots because it's in the Magic Kingdom.

Which made it more fun for me, hearing their young 'uns losing their shit.
A[quote name="Overlord" url="/community/t/156050/the-theme-amusement-park-thread/30#post_4174753"]
That sounds pretty cool.  Just ride Indiana Jones all day.  
[/quote]
Carrie Fisher?
Quote:

They had warnings all over the queue. The full name for the attraction was the "Extra-TERROR-estrial Alien Encounter" if I remember right. But parents just assumed that it'd be fine for their tots because it's in the Magic Kingdom.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  They probably could have gotten away with it at the Hollywood Studios park, but Magic Kingdom has the rep as the safe for all ages park.  Even the big thrill rides like Space Mountain and Splash Mountain are fairly tame.  Hell, people used to complain about Mr. Toad ending in Hell and the Wicked Witch in the Snow White ride.  I remember that one having big signs out front saying, "THE WICKED WITCH APPEARS IN THIS ATTRACTION" because she'd scare the ever-loving shit out of little kids.

Oh, another jarring difference for me between Magic Kingdom and Disneyland:  the monorail.  Here, it's the main transportation between the parking/ticketing center, the Magic Kingdom, its three luxury resorts (Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian) and EPCOT (they haven't extended it to the other two parks for a variety of reasons, some practical, some financial).  At DL it's, well, just a ride.  You can take it from Downtown Disney into the park, but you have to have a park ticket to get on it in the first place.  Ours, you can hop on and ride around to the various resorts and never once pay admission.  Actually did a "drink around the world" challenge once where you had to have a drink from every bar at every hotel on the monorail route.  Glad to have someone else driving for that one.

Quote:

Oh, another jarring difference for me between Magic Kingdom and Disneyland:  the monorail.  Here, it's the main transportation between the parking/ticketing center, the Magic Kingdom, its three luxury resorts (Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian) and EPCOT (they haven't extended it to the other two parks for a variety of reasons, some practical, some financial).  At DL it's, well, just a ride.  You can take it from Downtown Disney into the park, but you have to have a park ticket to get on it in the first place.  Ours, you can hop on and ride around to the various resorts and never once pay admission.  Actually did a "drink around the world" challenge once where you had to have a drink from every bar at every hotel on the monorail route.  Glad to have someone else driving for that one.

Last time we were at Disney, I heard that they were close to doing a monorail expansion to Hollywood Studios.  That makes sense since it's not far from EPCOT.  Heard anything more about that?

No, nothing.  The monorails are tricky as hell when it comes to getting people off them in an emergency/breakdown, since most of time they're a good 30 to 40 feet off the ground.  That and the cost of adding additional track and trains is what I think has held them back from further expansion.

AI don't think I've ever bothered with the monorail at DL.

I miss the Skyway. That was a pretty sweet ride that took you from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland or vice versa. You even got to pass through the Matterhorn and hear the yeti wailing inside.

But I think some doofus fell out of it and landed on his noggin and that was the end of the Skyway.