Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Theme/Amusement Park Thread

That was another safety nightmare for the parks.  Hard to get people off in an emergency, impossible to stop someone from being an idiot, and from an operational standpoint, the capacity was just awful.  I do kind of miss seeing the gondolas going by overhead though.

I thought it was the People Mover some guy fell out of?

ASomeone's always falling out of something.

When I worked on the Peter Pan ride, I heard a story about how two kids had gotten into one boat and their mother had gotten into the boat behind them. But she changed her mind at the last minute and decided she wanted to get in the boat with her young 'uns. Keep in mind, the loading area for Peter Pan isn't stationary. You step onto a moving walkway to board a moving boat. So, Mom hopped out of her boat and ran up to her kids' boat, which was just then being whisked into the first scene. Not thinking, she leapt onto the back of it.

Now on the Peter Pan ride, you're in a boat, but not on the water. The boat hangs from an overhead track. This is so you can have the experience of "flying" over London and through Neverland as you go through the pivotal scenes in "Peter Pan."

Mom fell off the back of the boat during the flight over London and broke her leg or her ankle or something. At any rate, a cast member at the unload station was informed by bewildered guests disembarking from the ride that there was a moaning woman lying in the elaboate nighttime London diorama that makes up the second scene.

That must've been a weird day.

It always amused me how worried people are being separated on a theme park ride.  We'd have cases where the ride vehicle was two rows of three and we'd have to separate families of four into two rows and you'd think we were sending half the party across the country in a freight car.  I'd have to explain that their kids were likely further away -- and in more danger -- in the back seat of the car they drove to the park that day than they would be on this ride.  But no, we were awful horrible people separating families and we really should change things.  Okay, yeah, let me bolt a fourth seat onto the row right now for you, you special snowflake.

AI liked when it was a family of 17 people who all wanted to sit together in a boat that could hold three.
AI was only ever concerned with being stuck next to a 300 pound fat man who'd been scarfing some sort of greasy monstrosity the whole time we stood in line..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

I was only ever concerned with being stuck next to a 300 pound fat man who'd been scarfing some sort of greasy monstrosity the whole time we stood in line..

Most rides now have seats that accommodate larger body sizes, and not just because they're overweight; we'd have problems with bodybuilders and tall people who were simply outside the body shape the ride was designed in mind with.  Most suspended coasters have a maximum height limit as well as a minimum due to the riders' legs hanging down from the ride.  I remember Shaq being unable to ride Dueling Dragons because he was too tall.

AHey, Richard, what's the word on the street about Avatar Land? I read that they're planning on opening it next summer at Animal Kingdom. Have you heard anything about it beyond that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Hey, Richard, what's the word on the street about Avatar Land? I read that they're planning on opening it next summer at Animal Kingdom. Have you heard anything about it beyond that?

I'm there next for two weeks starting this Sunday.  I'll take pictures of what I can to show the work in progress.

Personally, I'm lukewarm on AVATAR, but there's tremendous potential to turn AK into a pretty cool immersive experience with it as a property.  If what I see is cool, I'll be much more inclined to go back in a couple of years to check out the finished product.

There isn't a person I know outside the most hardcore of Disney junkies who has even an ounce of anticipation for Avatar Land.  It's been a running joke at our annual Bill & Ted Halloween show for years now.  It's an enormous hit film that has in almost no way seeped into the popular culture, and here's Disney dumping millions into a theme park property based on it.  I firmly believe it was a panic move on Disney's part when they lost the Harry Potter rights to Universal (and they were in the running; they just weren't willing to give J.K. Rowling the degree of control and approval she was asking for).  They cast about for the first franchise they could get their hands on and all they could manage was Avatar.  This was three years before the Marvel deal and five years before the Lucasfilm deal, so if they'd just had a little patience, we could be getting Wakanda or Endor at Animal Kingdom instead.  But at the time, Universal was on the upswing, had just scored a huge coup, and Disney was getting a rep for coasting on past successes.  So they did something for the sake of doing something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

There isn't a person I know outside the most hardcore of Disney junkies who has even an ounce of anticipation for Avatar Land.  It's been a running joke at our annual Bill & Ted Halloween show for years now.  It's an enormous hit film that has in almost no way seeped into the popular culture, and here's Disney dumping millions into a theme park property based on it.  I firmly believe it was a panic move on Disney's part when they lost the Harry Potter rights to Universal (and they were in the running; they just weren't willing to give J.K. Rowling the degree of control and approval she was asking for).  They cast about for the first franchise they could get their hands on and all they could manage was Avatar.  This was three years before the Marvel deal and five years before the Lucasfilm deal, so if they'd just had a little patience, we could be getting Wakanda or Endor at Animal Kingdom instead.  But at the time, Universal was on the upswing, had just scored a huge coup, and Disney was getting a rep for coasting on past successes.  So they did something for the sake of doing something.

Oh MAN...Endor would have been pretty cool.  Add in a speeder chase VR ride and yeah, that could have been something.  Still, the production art that I've seen for what they intend to do with Avatar land does look quite stunning.  But, that's art...it's supposed to look stunning.  Let's see how reality ends up looking.  I doubt that, even if it turns out amazing, AK will ever be anything more than a 'let's kill half a day' park.

I will say the ideas behind Avatar are a better fit for Animal Kingdom than Endor would have been.

But I look at the last big project Disney did, which is the new Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom.  And yes, it looks great and is a big improvement on what was there.  But it doesn't hold a candle to what Universal did with Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.  It's not even close.

Quote:

But I look at the last big project Disney did, which is the new Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom.  And yes, it looks great and is a big improvement on what was there.  But it doesn't hold a candle to what Universal did with Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.  It's not even close.

Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are amazing.  So is the Walking Dead Exhibit.

I'm getting a bit concerned about Star Wars Land.  First, absolutely no word of completion date.  Secondly, apparently they're going to build a replica of the cantina and not serve booze (they should have put Star Wars Land in California Disney if that was the only option to keep that from occurring).  And finally, they are going to put just two rides in the area with a maximum capacity below the Cars race ride, which is the most godawfully crowded ride in EITHER park.  Two hour wait on a good day, and you're going to build Star Wars rides with even less capacity?

Yeah, I've heard a lot of concerns about the capacity of those attractions.  I'm all for an immersive experience rather than a production line approach, but that's not going to make standing in line for two hours in a Florida summer any more appealing.

Now if they were going to do something like SeaWorld's Discovery Cove -- which caps its attendance each day -- you could do these more leisurely, immersive experiences.  But sticking it in an already busy Disneyland and an attraction-starved Hollywood Studios is just begging for long lines.

Quote:

But it doesn't hold a candle to what Universal did with Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.  It's not even close.

That's what I hear.  Can't wait to see it in a week or so!

A[quote name="Richard Dickson" url="/community/t/156050/the-theme-amusement-park-thread/60#post_4176615"]Yeah, I've heard a lot of concerns about the capacity of those attractions.  I'm all for an immersive experience rather than a production line approach, but that's not going to make standing in line for two hours in a Florida summer any more appealing.

Now if they were going to do something like SeaWorld's Discovery Cove -- which caps its attendance each day -- you could do these more leisurely, immersive experiences.  But sticking it in an already busy Disneyland and an attraction-starved Hollywood Studios is just begging for long lines.
[/quote]

"Largest Disney theme park expansion ever...." and two rides.

We are going to see 4 hour waits and brawls when one person tries to hold a spot for a group of 8.
AFastPass, bro.
A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/156050/the-theme-amusement-park-thread/60#post_4176636"]FastPass, bro.[/quote]

They either won't have them or they will be gone within 15 minutes of opening.
AAren't they tinkering with a new system where you book your ride time like a month in advance? Is that in Anaheim yet or just Orlando?
Quote:

Aren't they tinkering with a new system where you book your ride time like a month in advance? Is that in Anaheim yet or just Orlando?

Oh my god that would be great.

They have to do something.  When you enter, you should be able to "fastpass" 2-3 rides automatically.  This would prevent the horrific "doubling up" problem where the first people to a ride not only start the line, but also receive fastpass tickets for later.  Once the fastpass allotments for a ride are gone, people at least would know they were going to get stuck in a standby queue.

I can recall entering the park at opening via the monorail, immediately proceeding to Space Mountain, and all of the fastpass tickets are gone until the late afternoon ALREADY.  That's within 15 minutes of park opening.

**On another, unrelated note.  All of the fucking jackanape Disneyland employees who claim that rides have mysteriously broken down and won't be reopening right around the park closing time, we absolutely see through that shit.  Rather than being honest and telling people that they were allowed to wait in line even though they weren't going to be able to ride, you just claim any ride with a long line has broken down.  Nicely done.

Quote:

Aren't they tinkering with a new system where you book your ride time like a month in advance? Is that in Anaheim yet or just Orlando?

They have that in Orlando now.  We could book our restaurants and rides something like 90 days in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

They have that in Orlando now.  We could book our restaurants and rides something like 90 days in advance.

This change must be made immediately in California.

Or *gasp* Disney should actually adjust to their realities of their park situation and stop letting people in after a reasonable capacity has been reached.

ANo more annual passes. Boom, problem solved.

Yeah, the Frozen ride is booked for months.  So was Soarin' when it was shutting down for the refurbishment.

On the one hand, it's nice to be able to plan.  You know you're going to this ride at this time.  But on the other hand, you HAVE to plan.  All the spontaneity is gone.  Sure, you can go wait in standby, but it's not fun watching all the FastPass people stream by you all day long.

AI rode Frozen back when it was Malestrom. I remember it being kinda "eh."

Consensus is that unless you're an eight-year old girl, it's still kinda "meh.'

AI vaguely remember watching a ride video of it on YouTube. The Olaf animatronic was incredible, but beyond that... eh.
A[quote name="Overlord" url="/community/t/156050/the-theme-amusement-park-thread/90#post_4176663"]
This change must be made immediately in California.  

Or *gasp* Disney should actually adjust to their realities of their park situation and stop letting people in after a reasonable capacity has been reached.  
[/quote]

They do. They've shut down Magic Kingdom on numerous occasions. It's just their idea of "reasonable capacity" isn't quite the same as yours.
A[quote name="Richard Dickson" url="/community/t/156050/the-theme-amusement-park-thread/90#post_4176861"]
They do. They've shut down Magic Kingdom on numerous occasions. It's just their idea of "reasonable capacity" isn't quite the same as yours.[/quote]
Back when you got a free entrance on your birthday I went. It just so happens my birthday is Christmas Eve...one guess how much of a shitshow that was.

It's getting to the point now where any time you go, the Magic Kingdom is going to be busy.  Used to be you could hit the parks in September right after school started or early November when everyone is too busy gearing up for the holidays or late January/early February when everyone is recovering from them and it wouldn't be too bad.  Plus the weather is usually a whole lot nicer.  But then the parks saw these dips in attendance and started planning special events for those times -- Food & Wine at EPCOT, Mardi Gras at Universal, etc -- to drive attendance.  There are still times when it's a lot more manageable, but if you go to an Orlando theme park, expect a crowd.

In fact, Disney introduced seasonal pricing, where a ticket for a slow time costs less than a ticket for a busy time, and saw their attendance in those slow times get a boost.  I know Universal Hollywood moved to a similar system, and you can bet other parks are following suit.

Quote:

In fact, Disney introduced seasonal pricing, where a ticket for a slow time costs less than a ticket for a busy time, and saw their attendance in those slow times get a boost.  I know Universal Hollywood moved to a similar system, and you can bet other parks are following suit.

We got discounted park tickets and free food (the Disney dining plan) to go when we're going.  They had certain resorts and timeframes open and we opted to take advantage of the offer for two weeks.  I don't anticipate it being a madhouse while we're there, but I also don't think it's gonna be dead.  It sure as hell won't be as effing busy as it was last time that we went when we were there over Christmas and New Years (and you could barely move in the parks).

Redistricting/restructuring in Anaheim has just taken away Disney's monopoly of the Anaheim City Council.  Apparently Disney spent more on each of the two candidates that lost than has been reportedly spent on any other municipal election in the history of the United States.

The fireworks show, the tax credits, the expansion approvals,  the Fire Marshal capacity ratings ... changes may be coming.
ANo more annual passes?
Quote:

No more annual passes?

Annual passholders really don't go all that much.  Our effects on the park are minimal.

AI know. I just think you're all bad people.