Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Theme/Amusement Park Thread
Just announced for HHN, two scare zones for Orlando: Revenge of Chucky and Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Did not see that second one coming AT ALL.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
oh wow...KKfOS would make for a really fun zone. I'm so ready for this.
We're in a drought when it comes to Universal Hollywood HHN announcements. I think we might hear something in July. Maybe.
Here's an excellent tribute to the attraction that was once my favorite ride on the planet, and the ride which turned me into a Universal Studios Florida fan: KONGFRONTATION...

If we can dream it, then we can do it.
YEAH---KILLER KLOWNS! I will definitely hit that one.
So, Toy Story Land at Hollywood Studios officially opened today. Despite the two new rides having relatively low capacity, I think the land looks good for what it is (read: not on the same level of ambition as something like last year's Pandora, or the two Harry Potter lands at Universal). There seems to be a lot of very nice detail and theme work throughout, and the rides are apparently fun. Based on some videos and photos, the land also looks tremendous at night.

Crowds in the land will probably be a total madhouse until Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens there late next year.
The Slinky Dog coaster was at a 300 minute wait yesterday.

----------

That's what happens when you build a low-capacity coaster and hype the land up like it's the next Pandora or Carsland.

A plus side is that Tower of Terror, RNRC, and Star Tours essentially became walk-ons.
Well and add to that the "IF I DON'T SEE IT FIRST I'M GONNA DIE" mentality some people have. It's gonna be the same ride in November when it's not as stupid busy.

I did hear they were letting in 10 standby riders for every 100 FastPass riders, so that's part of the problem too. And why I hate things like FastPass and Express.

----------

I am not a fan of FastPass, either. Certainly not in its current form at WDW, anyway. Nobody should have to be planning out their day down to the hour and minute 60 days in advance.
Unfortunately, FastPass and other virtual queue methods are the wave of the future. People standing in line aren't spending money.

----------

We always stay on-site at Universal to get the FastPass privilege. It took me all day to figure out how in the hell WDW was trying to do it. Six Flags was stupid too. You had to carry around this thing that looked like an over-sized stopwatch and "check in" to the line and it would ping you when your turn came up. It was odd.
Tonight, Universal Studios Florida debuted their new nighttime water show, "Universal's Cinematic Celebration," sans supposedly significant pyro effects that will eventually come online.

There are videos of it out there, and it looks quite impressive on a technical level. Massive fountains, water screens, projection mapping on surrounding buildings... it's good stuff.

The actual content of the show left me cold (aside from E.T., there is zero presence of any classic Universal properties like JAWS, BACK TO THE FUTURE, the Universal Monsters, or the Hitchcock library), but I knew that was going to be the case. I expect the general public will enjoy it, however.
Martin Smith's excellent "Ultimate Tribute" series continues, this time with an extensive look at Epcot's Living Seas pavilion, from its earliest design iterations up through its evolution over the years...

The Living Seas was one of my favorite pavilions growing up, so this hit some major nostalgia buttons for me.

Though really, anything having to do with pre-2000s Epcot will hit major nostalgia buttons for me.
There is a fresh rumor making the rounds this morning about Disney finally deciding to fix the Yeti on Expedition Everest...

https://wdwnt.com/2018/07/breaking-exped...l-kingdom/

To be taken with a huge grain of salt, of course.  I'll believe it when we see it.  I had heard from insiders that a plan existed to fix the Yeti that would not have to involve months of downtime, but that doesn't line up with the rumor being reported above.
As long as they don't shut it down before my trip there in September. That coaster was pretty much the only reason (well, and the safari) to go to AK in the first place, and I'm unconvinced that Pandora will suitably replace it.
Broken Yeti is my new band name.

----------

(07-09-2018, 12:38 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: As long as they don't shut it down before my trip there in September. That coaster was pretty much the only reason (well, and the safari) to go to AK in the first place, and I'm unconvinced that Pandora will suitably replace it.

I would guess - if a refurb is happening - they take it down after the holiday rush. If it's going to be multiple months worth of work, I can't see them wanting to operate Animal Kingdom during Thanksgiving and Christmas without it being functional.
(07-09-2018, 12:34 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: There is a fresh rumor making the rounds this morning about Disney finally deciding to fix the Yeti on Expedition Everest...

https://wdwnt.com/2018/07/breaking-exped...l-kingdom/

To be taken with a huge grain of salt, of course.  I'll believe it when we see it.  I had heard from insiders that a plan existed to fix the Yeti that would not have to involve months of downtime, but that doesn't line up with the rumor being reported above.

WHAT??!!?!?!?  Really?  

Heading down there again, if so. Good excuse.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
Nothing official from the company yet, however.
(07-13-2018, 04:59 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Nothing official from the company yet, however.

Dammit.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]