Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Theme/Amusement Park Thread
Great pics. But what's with the clipped corners on the menu? This ain't Battlestar Galactica...
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
So it looks like the expected hordes have not arrived at Galaxy's Edge.

https://www.slashfilm.com/why-is-galaxys-edge-so-empty/

Some reasons give include:

- Scaring people off with all the preparations for big crowds
- People holding off their trips until Rise of the Resistance is open
- Lots of exclusive merchandise being sold out
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Yep. Also, word has really gotten out about how underwhelming the place is. I shared my large post at work and a lot of people have said 'yeah, I've heard that. Bummer.'
I would not expect the low crowds to repeat when this opens at Hollywood Studios.

If it does, there's a serious problem.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Hoping Disney World is learning from Disneyland with all this stuff. If this ends up being the same as Disneyland and it's really an hour or two out of your day, I guess we'll adjust our planning for next year. We had been discussing this being the centerpiece of the trip like Harry Potter world has been in the past.
Once both rides are operating, I think it will be possible to spend several hours in the land if a person wants to do that.
(07-01-2019, 01:01 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Once both rides are operating, I think it will be possible to spend several hours in the land if a person wants to do that.

That 'Rise of the Resistance' ride had better deliver the goods and be something transcendent like the 'Flight of Passage' ride over at ANIMAL KINGDOM.  If it's another dud like the Falcon ride, I don't know what will happen.

Running out of high demand items on the main launch week is simply inexcusable, though.  The fact that there were ZERO additional crystals for individual purchase after building your lightsabers is simply ludicrous.  Sure, you could buy a holocron and get a red or a blue one, but that's it.  I'm serious when I say that whoever was in charge of ensuring full shelves for launch week should be fired.
On a podcast I was listening to, one of the hosts commented on going to Galaxy's Edge. They heard that the RotR ride was having issues because it uses GPS for the cars that move around, and it's so high up they are having troubles with the GPS connecting and the cars are running into the walls.
(07-01-2019, 02:09 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 01:01 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Once both rides are operating, I think it will be possible to spend several hours in the land if a person wants to do that.

That 'Rise of the Resistance' ride had better deliver the goods and be something transcendent like the 'Flight of Passage' ride over at ANIMAL KINGDOM.  If it's another dud like the Falcon ride, I don't know what will happen.

Running out of high demand items on the main launch week is simply inexcusable, though.  The fact that there were ZERO additional crystals for individual purchase after building your lightsabers is simply ludicrous.  Sure, you could buy a holocron and get a red or a blue one, but that's it.  I'm serious when I say that whoever was in charge of ensuring full shelves for launch week should be fired.

ROTR was designed by the man who designed the greatest ride on the planet, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man at Islands of Adventure. Even if I didn't know any specifics about the ride (but I do...), I'd be confident just based on who designed it that it will be a great ride.

Everything I've heard about what's going to be happening in that attraction has me extremely excited.

As for the merchandise, it's a big problem... especially when you factor in that crowds have been lighter than Disney expected. Similar things happened with Pandora opened and the eventually were able to keep everything in stock (overstocked, really), so I'm sure it will eventually level out. But it's not a good look.

But if Luke Skywalker's lightsaber hilt it out of stock when I go in January, I'm not gonna be pleased.

(07-02-2019, 10:57 AM)martianman Wrote: On a podcast I was listening to, one of the hosts commented on going to Galaxy's Edge. They heard that the RotR ride was having issues because it uses GPS for the cars that move around, and it's so high up they are having troubles with the GPS connecting and the cars are running into the walls.

That's pretty standard issue with the trackless ride vehicle, and is not the primary reason the land didn't open with the ride.
I think Belloq is really Walt Disney's frozen head.
How does a head type, tho??
He has a robot body, duh.
Oh, but still with his tongue?
Not called a tongue-lashing for nothing, you know.
Universal Studios Hollywood has soft opened their Jurassic World: The Ride revamp, which you can take a look at here...

I think it's a mixed bag.  The finale looks TERRIFIC, but everything prior to the ascent seems pretty underwhelming to me.
Looks like the removed everything that broke down constantly (the Ultrasaurs, the Jeep sliding down the wall, etc.) and made some pretty nifty updates. I'm glad that the T-Rex is no longer obviously floating in the air behind a curtain of water.
(07-05-2019, 07:30 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Universal Studios Hollywood has soft opened their Jurassic World: The Ride revamp, which you can take a look at here...

I think it's a mixed bag.  The finale looks TERRIFIC, but everything prior to the ascent seems pretty underwhelming to me.

Looks good to me. And it was a great ride before. What exactly were you expecting?
Oh, it's exactly what I was expecting. So I guess, technically, I was "whelmed."

I think the Mosasaurus sequence is lame, and I also think the section showing the area from which the Indominus escaped really has nothing going on in it.

But the stuff at the top of the showbuilding makes up for a lot.
So--did it get stuck there at the end? Or were you supposed to see the T Rex, then it goes away, then it comes back again? Otherwise, I think it's a pretty good modernization of the ride without having to gut the whole thing.
The timing is somewhat off at the end there. At least I think.
Rise of the Resistance, the mega-ride anchor of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, has finally received opening dates:

- December 5th, Hollywood Studios
- January 17th, Disneyland

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2...announced/

VERY odd that Disneyland -- with the version of the land that will have been "open" (partially) for months before Hollywood Studios' opens at the end of August -- is getting the ride AFTER Hollywood Studios.  There's speculation that whatever issue has caused the ride to fall behind was discovered late enough in Disneyland's that it necessitates retroactively fixing it, but early enough in Hollywood Studios' progress that they could address it during the initial work.  I would imagine somebody is going to end up losing their job over this (rumors are that Disneyland's version of the ride was meant to debut before Labor Day, and now it's slipping 4.5 months back).

In any case, I'm glad the version in Florida will be open by my trip in January.

Cool poster for the ride, by the way...
[Image: rrs2094802394823423424fi.jpg]
(07-11-2019, 04:20 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: VERY odd that Disneyland -- with the version of the land that will have been "open" (partially) for months before Hollywood Studios' opens at the end of August -- is getting the ride AFTER Hollywood Studios.  There's speculation that whatever issue has caused the ride to fall behind was discovered late enough in Disneyland's that it necessitates retroactively fixing it, but early enough in Hollywood Studios' progress that they could address it during the initial work.  I would imagine somebody is going to end up losing their job over this (rumors are that Disneyland's version of the ride was meant to debut before Labor Day, and now it's slipping 4.5 months back).

Gareth Edwards, Colin Trevorrow, Phil Lord, and Chris Miller were originally overseeing the ride construction.  After they were perceived as having botched the job, J.J. Abrams, Ron Howard, and Tony Gilroy had to scramble to complete the task at great expense and a resulting delay.

Damn you for making me laugh at that.
So the Halloween Horror Nights announcements are starting to come in.  Today it was announced Killer Klowns from Outer Space will back, this time as their own haunted house, and at both parks.  Their scare zone last year was a pretty big hit, so it'll be neat to see what they can do within their own dedicated house.

But the big one was announced last week:  

[Image: TP3465939-HHN-2019-Ghostbusters-Images_1...70x731.jpg]

That house is going to be INSANE.

----------

Too bad Universal likely didn't save the giant Stay Puft Marshmallow Man head from the Ghostbuster Spooktacular show, because that would be an incredible setpiece for a big finale scene in that house.

I would imagine the Terror Dogs will be elaborate puppets like the wolf from the AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON maze a few years ago, which worked really effectively.
So jealous my son is going this year after the Ghostbusters and Killer Klowns announcements. I could have lived in that Klowns scare zone last year. There were people terrified to just walk through it, and I wanted to stay there all night.
Looks like the worst-kept secret in Orlando may finally be coming out.

Quote:A month away from Disney’s Galaxy’s Edge opening, Universal Orlando Resort has some of news of its own to share.

Universal said Friday it would hold a press conference on Thursday morning to make a “major” announcement at the Orange County Convention Center, which is in the shadow of the hundreds of acres of land that Universal has been acquiring.

Universal declined to give a hint about what the news would be about. But the theme park’s owners have said they are investing in Florida’s market and want to beef up Universal to become a seven-day destination by building another theme park.

Some people think this might be officially announcing the Jurassic Park coaster or the Jurassic Park-to-Jurassic World changeover, but I doubt we'd be holding this off-site if it wasn't something much bigger in scope.

----------

If I were petty and running Universal, I'd have waited to announce this until the Monday morning after the D23 convention.

But good to see it appears they'll finally divulge some info about the next park! Everything I've heard credibly rumored so far has me very excited.
Universal Orlando's official Twitter account posted this image this morning:

[Image: EApsdTkXoAAyYfm?format=jpg&name=medium]

Yeah, that's a new park logo.

----------

I wonder if they'll just announce the park, or go as far as to confirm which IPs are being included.

I would think, at minimum, they'll confirm Nintendo is going there, as they've already said a land is coming to Orlando.
I want to say they announced all the islands when they announced Islands of Adventure. I wouldn't expect individual attraction details, but I can't imagine they'd tout this as a big announcement then just say, "New park but we're not telling you what's in it."

----------

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Should be exciting!
"New park, who dis"
Here's a neat blast from the past: the "Cow Missing" YouTube channel (which often uploads old theme park related content) has uploaded an EPCOT Center souvenir video from 1991, the year of my first visit...

As Disney prepares to announce further changes to Epcot at the upcoming D23 Convention, this really brought me back to my first exposure to the park.
Universal's taken out a service mark on the name "Velocicoaster."

[Image: EAtYQHPXYAEJtda?format=png&name=large]

----------