Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Theme/Amusement Park Thread
There's an ice cream place tucked back in France that's really great too. And the Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar in Italy is a neat little spot with a cool small plate menu and lots and lots of wine.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Someone mentioned the pizza place in Italy (Via Napoli, I think) as being really good. We ate there last time and yeah, that was really tasty. The place gets PACKED, though. I think it's harder to get in there than the main Italian restaurant (Tutto Italia).
Here's a great look at the Las Vegas Hilton's Star Trek: The Experience...

I was able to visit this back in 2002, and I found it quite impressive and ambitious. The transporter effect was particularly cool.

Being too young to gamble, it was certainly the highlight of that trip!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Judas let us know what you think of Le Cellier. I really enjoyed it, but I don't think it was worth the bizarre time we had to take because of the extreme popularity. It was the first time I'd ever had poutine, and it was delicious.
We love Le Cellier. We eat there every time that we go and the food is never less than 'awesome'. It's the first place to book up so I always get reservations 3 months out. Getting in 'on the day' is like winning the lottery.
(01-10-2020, 12:06 PM)martianman Wrote: Judas let us know what you think of Le Cellier. I really enjoyed it, but I don't think it was worth the bizarre time we had to take because of the extreme popularity. It was the first time I'd ever had poutine, and it was delicious.

There's a stand near the Canada pavilion that serves beef brisket poutine and it is downright evil how good it is.

----------

If memory serves, they have 3 kinds of poutine at Le Cellier. We had one of them years ago once and I remember it being chow. We pretty much always get their filet mignon though, and that's plenty filling without any sort of poutine appetizer.
I think I started trying like a month out and ended up getting a 3:30 time which screwed with when everyone wanted to eat lunch. Lol.

The food was probably the best I've had at a park (I also enjoy the Flying Fish but that's at the boardwalk), which I guess contributes to the crazy times to get in. I have been to Morimoto's 3 times now at Disney Springs and it is just as delicious each time, although it seems that when you try to book a time, it's either 5:30 or 8:45. Nothing in between.
Morimoto's is great. Not sure if we'll eat there this time around as we're trying to go to a few places we've never been to before, but it's definitely on our list.
[Image: pwscwqzuzta41.jpg]

Look far enough, and you will find people who love that Troll.

I think it's too lowbrow, myself, and not Universal's best work. But I'm not the target demo.
Trolls is HUGE with kids. And kids think farts are hysterical.

----------

I have no doubt it plays well for them.
I, uh, I would be amused by this.
(01-03-2020, 10:27 AM)martianman Wrote: Oh yeah, get this--so my godson was working the Haunted Mansion and was getting into character backstage, about to head out. He looks at another cast member and is going through his usual script, and says, "Oooo and you're REALLY scary!" So this cast member is a permanent employee (he's in the college program), and she decides that he's hurt her feelings, so she goes running to management, complains that she already has self-esteem issues and he just made her feel uncomfortable. So they call him in, and let him go and tell him he can re-apply in 6 months. Unbelievable. So now he's working the movie theater at CityWalk and bartending there as well. And apparently she has a reputation of doing things like that.

Godson update--he is now working at Busch Gardens as Big Bird!
Made it into Orlando.

Getting up at 5am tomorrow to head out to Galaxy's Edge. It's gonna be a long (and, hopefully, fun!) day!
You know you're on vacation when you're getting up earlier than you do for work, but to have fun!
Have a great day at the park!
(01-23-2020, 08:53 AM)martianman Wrote: Have a great day at the park!

I did!  

So... Galaxy’s Edge!  I’m going to break down my impressions into three categories: the land itself, Smuggler’s Run, and Rise of the Resistance.

The Land
I know some have reported being underwhelmed by the area, but I thought the theme work was exceptional, and the layout felt huge and sprawling in a way that continuously invited me forward.  Like many other signature lands, pictures do not do the scale of the place justice at all.  I was extremely impressed.

Also, maybe today was just a lucky day, but there were characters EVERYWHERE.  Rey, Kylo Ren, Chewie, various Stormtroopers, and a few First Order officials were in full force.  Yes, I think the land definitely could use a recurring daytime show (the infrastructure for it is there), and other than the rides the land is just shopping and dining, but I found it to be a great place to spend time (and spend a lot of time there I did, as Rise of the Resistance broke down twice -- once just after our boarding group was called, and the second right after making our way back over to it after being alerted that it was back up).

We took in the Cantina (loud, but good drinks!), I had a Ronto Wrap (excellent for theme park food!) and I also did Savi’s, which resulted in this creation...

Smuggler’s Run
Excellent queue, followed by a fun -- but very lightweight -- ride.  I was lucky enough to be a pilot, and I had a very good time being in the THE seat on the Falcon, but I could imagine that if you’re not a pilot, this could essentially be a lesser version of Star Tours (enjoyed the RISE OF SKYWALKER iteration of that ride that they’re currently running, by the way).  All the trappings around the ride experience are A+, though.

Rise of the Resistance
I only got to ride it once, obviously, so I don’t want to jump to any conclusions without mulling it over some more.  So my measured take:  it’s a ride (and overall experience) packed with legitimate WOW! moments, I think it’s certainly a Top 5 WDW ride (possibly Top 5 in Orlando altogether).  The Star Destroyer corridors gave me serious “Nostromo in The Great Movie Ride” flashbacks (in the best way), and I think it balanced the “actually in front of you” with the “projected media” fairly well.  I do wish the finale didn’t turn the thing into a scene that could have been out of Star Tours or Smuggler’s Run, but that’s really only the last 30 seconds.

I came off with a big smile on my face, and a desire to immediately ride it again (which, unfortunately, will probably have to wait until fall of next year).

Oh, and one other thing from my 14-hour day at Hollywood Studios... Tower of Terror still kicks ass.
Disneyland is basically letting you ride Rise of the Resistance via an electronic lottery that starts promptly at like 8 a.m. You try to log on and get a pass for the ride. I took the kids, we didn't get lucky and did not get a boarding pass. There is no way to determine at the time you buy your tickets (or even before you get to the park) whether you will get a pass or not.

This system is fucking horrible and I am pretty enraged. They, of course, are doing it this way because if you knew ahead of time whether you could ride RotR you wouldn't buy tickets if a reservation wasn't available. What a miserable clusterfuck.

At Oga's Cantina, they've done away with the dry ice in drinks. The dry ice drinks were phenomenal and my kids had been looking forward to getting them again. I imagine anything that requires any sort of effort or cuts into their 90%+ profit margin is not acceptable. They also raised prices substantially. It's now 15 bucks for a regular 12 oz. beer. They still have not added any seating and it's still completely overpriced and miserably small and cramped. There aren't enough servers ... STILL. This was a major problem on day one and nothing has been done. They tell you they don't want you to go to the bar and order and they don't want you to move around the Cantina, but our waitress came by exactly one time in 50 minutes.

All of the sequel trilogy stuff in Galaxy's Edge feels like a miserable misfire given that the sequel trilogy is just a flaming pile of dogshit. Smuggler's Run had only a 20 minute wait, so we rode it again. If you are not a pilot the ride is pretty terrible. Ergonomically, who decided it would be a great idea to have four of the six seats have to look AWAY from the screen in order to push buttons. There still is only one mission available, and yet again it's on a planet, because Disney is allergic to actually having space combat/missions in any type of Star Wars property.

They did actually have some shows going on in Galaxy's Edge. There were no special FX, no sound effects, no staging or choreography of any type that I saw.

I noticed that on the dry ice the last time that I was there. I think they may have gotten rid of it to reduce spills, as I remember that some of the beverage glasses were quite tippy and the bubbling effects probably didn't help stability. The first time that I was there, I saw at least one drink spill because of the bubbling, and mine ALMOST spilled.

That lottery system for RotR sounds fucked as hell. Wow.
(01-24-2020, 02:30 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I noticed that on the dry ice the last time that I was there.  I think they may have gotten rid of it to reduce spills, as I remember that some of the beverage glasses were quite tippy and the bubbling effects probably didn't help stability.  The first time that I was there, I saw at least one drink spill because of the bubbling, and mine ALMOST spilled.

That lottery system for RotR sounds fucked as hell.  Wow.

The passes were completely sold out within 60 seconds of the app becoming functional.  I tried to refresh a few times when it froze and that was that.

There is no way to make a reservation ahead of time before or after you buy tickets. You basically have to fully commit to a day at the park before you can find out if your $350-$400 investment will allow you to ride the new attraction.  

I went to City Hall to complain about the situation and to see if I could get a refund to use the passes on a different day (kids talked me out of that one) and there was a family there from Costa Rica complaining that this was the final day of their three day passes and they had never been able to get boarding passes for RotR.  I would wager that annual pass holders show up, know exactly what to do, and are snatching passes by gaming the electronic lottery (having multiple people try to get passes at the same time).

I joined several other people near RotR to offer cash for unused or extra boarding passes. We were scolded severely by the umpteen security officers at the ride (there were at least a dozen security personnel). I didn't even get a nibble at sixty bucks for three passes.

I honestly don't know how Disney's transparent greed can still shock me at this point.

It's the same at Hollywood Studios. You have to be using the app on property in order to get into a boarding group, and then your group is given a time to return to the ride. People have been lining up in front of the park as early as 5 AM to get in, and they've started opening the place at 7 AM just to keep the crowd out front from getting out of hand.

----------

(01-24-2020, 03:29 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: It's the same at Hollywood Studios.  You have to be using the app on property in order to get into a boarding group, and then your group is given a time to return to the ride.  People have been lining up in front of the park as early as 5 AM to get in, and they've started opening the place at 7 AM just to keep the crowd out front from getting out of hand.

When you compare PotterWorld to Galaxy's Edge, it just becomes clear how badly Disney just completely fucked up the scale of construction.

that's horseshit. I'm gonna be mad as hell if I can't get on that ride when I'm there.
Can you just get in line for three hours and gut it out?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(01-24-2020, 03:44 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: Can you just get in line for three hours and gut it out?

No.

The exclusive way to get on the ride is via an electronic lottery the morning of.  And the lottery can only be entered when you are at the park.

(01-24-2020, 03:41 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 03:29 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: It's the same at Hollywood Studios.  You have to be using the app on property in order to get into a boarding group, and then your group is given a time to return to the ride.  People have been lining up in front of the park as early as 5 AM to get in, and they've started opening the place at 7 AM just to keep the crowd out front from getting out of hand.

When you compare PotterWorld to Galaxy's Edge, it just becomes clear how badly Disney just completely fucked up the scale of construction.

Well, we're still closing Hagrid early every day, so it's not like we're not having issues.  Although there's only a 90 minute wait for it right now as I type this....

One of two things is happening with RotR:  either the ride cannot handle at this point the kind of operation where you just line folks up and let them wait (be it mechanically or capacity-wise), or Disney doesn't want people just standing in line when they could be walking around spending money.  And I'm leaning towards the first one, because they sure don't seem to mind long lines everywhere else.

----------

the fact that I can't line up a fastpass for it ahead of time is stupid. If I need to be there at 5am when I'm actually a resort guest and still not be guaranteed entry, shit's gonna fly.
Oh, and the kicker?

Just because you get into a boarding group doesn't guarantee you'll get on the ride.

----------

spending money on the lightsaber building experience at Savi's SHOULD guarantee you admission. Good God, if you're gonna spend $200, you should get in.
(01-24-2020, 03:50 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: the fact that I can't line up a fastpass for it ahead of time is stupid.  If I need to be there at 5am when I'm actually a resort guest and still not be guaranteed entry, shit's gonna fly.

At a certain time each morning (I think it's always 8 a.m.) the app "goes live."  You use the app to enter the lottery.  You either get a boarding pass or you don't. You MUST physically be there at Disneyland to use the app (I believe it is GPS-locked).

You can't get there earlier in an attempt to get a pass.  You can't reserve ahead of time.  All you can do is physically show up at the park with a ticket you've already bought and use the app to try to get a boarding pass for that day.  Thus far, all boarding passes are gone within 30-90 seconds of the app "going live" each day. I'm sure at some point things will have to get easier.

Also, if you're unfamiliar with the app or you happen to have a bad wifi connection, you're hosed.

ok, so 'lining up early' is moot. Just be at the entrance to HS at 8am to be 'in range' when the app goes live.
(01-24-2020, 04:12 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: ok, so 'lining up early' is moot.  Just be at the entrance to HS at 8am to be 'in range' when the app goes live.

Yup.

**I would note that the app, specifically linking multiple tickets, is not particularly intuitive.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202001/7225/

Quote:At least at Hollywood Studios at this point, everyone inside the park at its opening has been getting boarding group numbers that allow them to ride Rise of the Resistance. Even those who show up within an hour or so of the park's opening have been getting on the ride more often than not.

That is not yet the case at Disneyland. While the best estimates at this point are that the vast majority of people inside the park at opening are getting Rise of the Resistance boarding groups, it is clear that some Disneyland guests who have made the commitment to be in the park at opening are not getting an assignment. And some who do get boarding group assignments are getting "backup group" assignments that ultimately are not called before the ride closes for the evening.

And as for the why of it all (see the bold part)....

Quote:Could Disneyland have managed this differently? Sure. Disneyland could have done what it did with the entire Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge land last spring, when it assigned advanced reservations online to visit the land during its first month. That system kept anyone from making a trip to the resort in vain, as you knew in advance of your visit if you would be getting in or not.

That system also lead to an overall decline in attendance at the resort as many people chose to visit only when they had a Galaxy's Edge reservation... or not to visit if they could not get one. Disneyland isn't about to chance that happening again, so an advance reservation system for Rise of the Resistance was out of the question.

They're basically dangling a chance to ride RotR to get people into the park.

----------