Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Theme/Amusement Park Thread
There was a bit on Jim Hill's podcast about Swirling Saucer that they didn't get the alignment quite right, and so it was literally scraping the paint off the floor. They said it seems exactly like Mater's Junkyard, too.
home taping is killing music
(08-06-2018, 12:25 PM)boone daniels Wrote: There was a bit on Jim Hill's podcast about Swirling Saucer that they didn't get the alignment quite right, and so it was literally scraping the paint off the floor. They said it seems exactly like Mater's Junkyard, too.

That's not the first time in recent history that something like that has happened. When they moved Dumbo (and doubled it) for the Fantasyland expansion at Magic Kingdom, they found that Dumbo's outer legs were scraping along the sides of the barrier. I believe they had to go in and actually sculpt an indentation into the barrier to stop that from happening.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Jumped on fast passes on July 22nd when they were allowed. Got all of the big rides so I'm set.

Holding off on restaurants apart from Le Cellier. I figure we are gonna be doing food/wine fest stuff.
(08-06-2018, 12:34 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Jumped on fast passes on July 22nd when they were allowed. Got all of the big rides so I'm set.

Holding off on restaurants apart from Le Cellier. I figure we are gonna be doing food/wine fest stuff.

I'm staying off property, so can't book FPs until the 19th of this month! I'm expecting to get the dregs. But we're gonna hit the parks at rope drop, so hopefully we can get on all the newest stuff first thing in the morning.

You doing two days at Epcot? You might need it if you want to do the F&W Festival justice and savor that Le Cellier reservation.
We're doing Le Cellier on our arrival day. As of now, that's our only set dining reservation.

As to EPCOT, I suspect that we'll be doing other parks during the day and then finishing up at EPCOT almost every night. That's what we usually did with one or two dedicated days in EPCOT itself. We're really playing it by ear and rolling with the flow this year, especially since we're spending at least one day at US for HHN.
(08-06-2018, 12:27 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(08-06-2018, 12:25 PM)boone daniels Wrote: There was a bit on Jim Hill's podcast about Swirling Saucer that they didn't get the alignment quite right, and so it was literally scraping the paint off the floor. They said it seems exactly like Mater's Junkyard, too.

That's not the first time in recent history that something like that has happened. When they moved Dumbo (and doubled it) for the Fantasyland expansion at Magic Kingdom, they found that Dumbo's outer legs were scraping along the sides of the barrier. I believe they had to go in and actually sculpt an indentation into the barrier to stop that from happening.

At least Dumbo didn't start eating the guests.
Not yet!
Now that Tim Burton has a hold of it, all bets are off.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
and here comes Poltergeist!

Whoa!  Now I'm even more bummed that a night at HHN isn't in the cards for my trip than I was before!

I'm pleasantly surprised that Spielberg would have signed off on that, even for Universal (he has a good relationship with the theme parks division).  He tends to barely acknowledge that POLTERGEIST even exists.

I wonder if they'll find a way to include this thing:
[Image: poltergeistghostlarge.jpg]
Would hug.
I'd been hearing rumblings about this for a bit and I was so worried they were going to go with the remake. Glad to see it's the original. They really need to work that clown for all its worth.

----------

Spielberg actually directed the maze, too.
Rumors are starting to circulate again about a new pavilion in World Showcase at Epcot -- Brazil.

- estimated $450m budget
- would be located between the current Germany and Italy pavilions
- may or may not include an actual attraction (if not, it would just be a restaurant and shops)
- targeted to open by Epcot's 40th anniversary in October of 2022

For that amount of money (if it happens), it better damn well be more than food and merchandise.
considering the fact that Brazil accounts for 50% of the population of WDW during the summer months, yeah.
For a second, I was really excited that Epcot is getting a land based on the Terry Gilliam film.

Oh, oh wait...
The construction for the TRON Lightcycle coaster at Magic Kingdom is starting to kick into gear:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2...815180007C

Short version:  The Walt Disney World Railroad will suspend its operations in December for an undisclosed amount of time, while the Tomorrowland Speedway will go down early in 2019 until summer 2019 while portions of the track are reworked to accommodate the construction of the coaster.

Also, there's now a billboard for the ride visible from the WDW Railroad and certain areas of Fantasyland...
[Image: DkPkNqxUcAAhlwQ.jpg]
"Halloween 4" is getting a maze at HHN in Hollywood this year. I'd been hoping the new flick would get its own maze, but I guess I can go jump in a lake!
https://orlando.halloweenhorrornights.co...=252772947

Oh hell yes.
Totally copying us!
VERY odd that Universal is going with HALLOWEEN 4, a movie they don't own the rights to, as the basis for the house instead of the new film, which they do own the rights to.

You would have thought the synergy would be too irresistible to pass up.
Must not want to spoil the new flick or something.
Maybe.

Though they did a KRAMPUS maze a few years ago, and the movie wasn't out yet.
Maybe it's an 80s thing? Halloween and it's sequel were late 70s/very early 80s, and the third one had no Michael Myers. So the next one to go after for the 80s genre would be 4. Poltergeist is from the 80s and Stranger Things is set in the 80s. And for that matter, Killer Klowns was also from 1988 like Halloween 4.
Yeah, we seem to be leaning heavily on '80s nostalgia for this year's event.

----------

Well, considering how hot STRANGER THINGS is right now, I'm not surprised.
I got my ticket for opening night of HHN.

One month away...
I'm there on the 21st. Can't wait to finally experience this, especially after seeing all of the behind the scenes stuff that's been coming out.
I had planned to go to the Hollywood one, but was shocked to discover it’s not in operation Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. Bummer!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Here's a nice look at the development of Revenge of the Mummy, which remains my favorite ride at the Universal Studios Florida park.  Lots of great behind-the-scenes and promo footage.

They're closing down the Sindbad show at Islands of Adventure. Last day will be September 14th. No word yet what's taking its place, although speculation is more Potter (likely) or, along with gutting the rest of Lost Continent, Nintendo (less likely).

That same weekend, the AMC theater at CityWalk will convert to Cinemark. And of course I find this out right after I sign up for A-List...

----------

(Yesterday, 07:22 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: They're closing down the Sindbad show at Islands of Adventure. Last day will be September 14th. No word yet what's taking its place, although speculation is more Potter (likely) or, along with gutting the rest of Lost Continent, Nintendo (less likely).

It's been a terrible show since it opened (no fault of the great performers who have played it, though), so it's no great loss to see it go away.

I have heard that the hot rumor is that it's closing not because of an imminent replacement, but because of cuts coming to the resort to offset Volcano Bay not hitting certain internal projections.

Hopefully that's not true, because I hate to see closed attractions just sitting vacant for long periods of time.
The WaterWorld stunt show in Hollywood > Sinbad in Orlando

It's the one thing that we have that's better. Please give us this.
(Yesterday, 07:49 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I have heard that the hot rumor is that it's closing not because of an imminent replacement, but because of cuts coming to the resort to offset Volcano Bay not hitting certain internal projections.

While the cost cutting jibes with some other things I've heard, I think they're more likely due to some upcoming massive expenditures they want to get out in front of.  Two new hotels, the new Potter coaster, plus the worst-kept secret in Orlando (whatever they're doing with the property on I-Drive).  Get frugal now until the new investments start generating income.

Plus I remember the dark times before Potter, and it feels nothing like that now.

----------

Tell us more about the Dark Times!