Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Theme/Amusement Park Thread
SPACESHIP EARTH, if nothing else, has decent air conditioning in it.  It's a great ride for getting out of the sun and sleeping to the soothing voice of Judy Dench (while listening to the Portuguese speaker in the car behind you).
I was crazy about Epcot when I was 9. When I was 19, I thought it was a snooze.
EPCOT for me is all about Test Track, Soarin' and the World Showcase. I can easily just walk the World Showcase for hours and simply enjoy the food and the entertainment (we caught Matsuriza many, many times this trip).
World Showcase is still an amazing area, and even with the IP infiltration of FROZEN and (soon) RATATOUILLE, it still retains the core of what it was supposed to be: a celebration of world culture.

Future World is a really unfortunate area right now; even though I'm a fan of almost everything there individually, thematic cohesion is going out the window, and will be totally broken when the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY coaster opens up in a few years; what GOTG has to do with Epcot (which, per the park's dedication plaque, is meant to be an ode to human achievement in science, culture, and enterprise) is a question Disney has yet to answer to my satisfaction.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
There are a TON of rides opening in 2021 at Disney World for the 50th anniversary. Holy shit that place will be insufferable. And my wife is actually talking about going to that new Star Wars hotel where it's rumored that it will be like $1200 a NIGHT to stay there. Fuck. That.
Supposedly the hotel will be a 2-night minimum stay, as well. So... yeah. No.
(10-15-2018, 02:23 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: EPCOT for me is all about Test Track, Soarin' and the World Showcase.  I can easily just walk the World Showcase for hours and simply enjoy the food and the entertainment (we caught Matsuriza many, many times this trip).

I've spent many a day just bouncing back and forth between Matsuriza in Japan and British Revolution in the UK.  The new bands they have in Morocco and Germany are pretty good too.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
How many rooms for Star Wars? It’s got to be pretty limited to charge that kind of rate. It must be quite the immersive experience.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(10-16-2018, 04:53 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: How many rooms for Star Wars? It’s got to be pretty limited to charge that kind of rate. It must be quite the immersive experience.

Nothing official, but I've seen a range between 80 and 150 cropping up frequently. The plot of land it's going on is fairly tight.
For the super rich! Cool.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
We'll have a coupon day.

----------

Indiana Jones Land at Hollywood Studios??? Hell yes!

https://www.slashfilm.com/indiana-jones-...ore-515861
Oh man, I'd kill to get a clone of the Disneyland Indy ride here.

----------

A mine car rollercoaster ala TOD would be awesome. Make it inside and have all of the lava present to complete the effect
A land implies maybe more than just bringing in the Forbidden Eye ride, so maybe.

Nothing will ever match the ambition they originally had for the Adventureland redo. This is my favorite theme park concept art ever.

[Image: indiana-jones-concept-art-disneyland.jpg]
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Touching base with my spies, here's what I will say about the report Judas posted:

- There IS some credence to it. There's a lot of "smoke."

- Those hoping for a straight clone of Disneyland's ride will be disappointed.

- Those who think Shanghai Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean ride looks amazing may be very pleased.

- All current versions of a proposed Indy area include at least 2 rides. One dark ride, one coaster.

Also, some details are leaking out about Disney's Marvel land coming to California Adventure.  Short version:  underwhelming!

https://wdwnt.com/2018/10/breaking-full-...nd-resort/

Longer version:  will open in phases (Phase 1 in 2020, Phase 2 somewhere in 2021-2022).  Phase 1 will include a Spider-Man "webshooter" attraction very similar to Toy Story Mania (which already exists in that park, but I guess Disney doesn't care!), a Doctor Strange meet and great, and some dining.

Phase 2 will feature a massive Avengers E-ticket coaster housed in a gigantic showbuilding.  Just speculation in my part, but I would bet it will be a riff on either the TRON coaster or the Guardians of the Galaxy coaster coming to Epcot.

That Spider-Man ride, though... yuck.  You'd think - even just for pride reasons - that Disney would at least want to attempt to top Universal's masterpiece Spidey ride, but Disney seems to be aiming much, much lower.
Every time we rode the Spider-Man ride last time, at the very start when he says "This could be the most dangerous night of my life...and yours!" and then points at you, all of us would say "AND YOURS!" along with him and point back at the screen. I don't think the other riders thought we were funny.
So how popular was our Stranger Things house at HHN this year? We're opening it for eight hours during regular park hours this Tuesday.

----------

It will be interesting to see what kind of wait times it commands during normal operating hours.
The wait time for Stranger Things reached 95 minutes when I was at USH last Friday. Not far behind was Halloween 4 with 80 minutes.

My favorite was the Universal Monsters maze, though this year overall was pretty great. The only one I was kind of "Meh" on was The First Purge. It was okay, just not as strong as the others.
Knotts Scary Farm and UHN are not worth doing at this point unless you spring for the fast passes.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
In the olden days, I used to be able to knock out all the USH and Knott's mazes with just a general admission ticket and no smart phone to keep me entertained in line. Now, no fuckin' way.
We did the survey after UHN this year, and one of the big complaints we had was that you buy a ticket to Universal, then you have to buy a separate ticket to UHN, then if you don't want to spend hours in line, you have to buy another separate fast pass ticket. Plus we stayed on site, so you think that would get you something for UHN, but it doesn't. Our kids couldn't even use their hotel keys as express passes during UHN, which was really aggravating.
I consider myself fairly well-versed in the theme park lore of Florida, but I'd never heard anything about this proposal until this morning...

Late Fees: The Ride!
Here's another of the "Ultimate Tribute" series of videos about EPCOT Center, this time focusing on the France pavilion.  It's one of my favorite pavilions in the park, and this video covers it exhaustively, with lots of behind-the-scenes footage and pictures. 

The Stranger Things house had people waiting in line before it even opened yesterday, and was around a 50-60 minute wait most of the day. Which made it the highest wait time in the entire park. I've also heard that it's the most visited HHN house in the 28-year history of the event. I have a pretty good feeling we'll get a house based on Season 2 next year packed with demodogs.

----------

(11-07-2018, 06:41 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: The Stranger Things house had people waiting in line before it even opened yesterday, and was around a 50-60 minute wait most of the day. Which made it the highest wait time in the entire park. I've also heard that it's the most visited HHN house in the 28-year history of the event. I have a pretty good feeling we'll get a house based on Season 2 next year packed with demodogs.

There's rampant speculation that Universal might be testing the waters for a more permanent STRANGER THINGS walkthrough attraction, or perhaps gauging interest in keeping next year's Season 2 house open during daytime operations for more of HHN's run.
Permits have been filed for the upcoming Star Wars hotel at Hollywood Studios, giving us a pretty good idea of what to expect...

https://www.californiacoasterkings.com/n...l-details/

[Image: HotelOverview_labled_crop.jpg]