Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Theme/Amusement Park Thread
Ha--the "Everest Yeti" meeting strikes again.
Has anybody been able to check out THE IMAGINEERING STORY docuseries on Disney+ yet? I've heard nothing but good things so far, including that it's extremely frank (especially for Disney standards) about various questionable decisions made by the company in terms of the theme parks.

I've also heard the the final episodes, which haven't dropped yet, present Bob Iger as a saint whose only done great and wonderful things for the parks (not just the company as a whole, but the parks in particular)... which I think is, at minimum, extremely debatable.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I saw that this weekend and want to watch it.

Just found out we are going to Orlando for a week in December for my wife's work and we are going to try and steal a day at Universal while there. Girding my loins to stand in the 3 hour line for Hagrid's ride.
(11-25-2019, 02:48 PM)martianman Wrote: Just found out we are going to Orlando for a week in December for my wife's work and we are going to try and steal a day at Universal while there. Girding my loins to stand in the 3 hour line for Hagrid's ride.

Assuming the ride is operating at park open, if you "rope drop" it (i.e. get there an hour early), you might be able to get onto the ride with a fairly manageable wait.

That's my plan for my trip in January, anyway.
Depending on when in December, it might not be too bad.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I'm just hoping it's manageable when I'm there in early March. That's really the only ride at US that will be new for me and I hope we can bang it out without 'wasting' half of a day to ride it.
I watched the ride video on YouTube. Looks pretty fun.
Jillian went on it the other day. She's a total coaster nut and she absolutely LOVED it. She said she'd gladly wait an hour to ride it.

----------

My wife wants to spend all this crazy money just to go for the one day so we can stay on-site, etc. I told her let's just get a 1-day pass and go like Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon/evening and hope for the best. We're already planning on going in October next year for the HHN anniversary so I don't want to spend a bunch of money for 1 day.
(11-26-2019, 09:48 AM)martianman Wrote: My wife wants to spend all this crazy money just to go for the one day so we can stay on-site, etc. I told her let's just get a 1-day pass and go like Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon/evening and hope for the best. We're already planning on going in October next year for the HHN anniversary so I don't want to spend a bunch of money for 1 day.

Counterpoint: what's your time worth to you?  If spending the money removes the stress of 'hoping' and gives you a lot more freedom to do more things in a 24 hour period, is it worth it?  If you've got one day and you want to get everything done in that day, is it worth it?

For me, the answer is yes.  I wouldn't want to risk missing out.
FOMO

Lol. We're working it out. The biggest problem is I don't officially have any days off left to take. I'm going to see if I can get my new boss to let me take an extra day. I'm a team of two, and the other guy just quit last week, so our new boss is a little panicked and giving me lots of room to do what I want to do (like working remote from Orlando the week of 12/9), so I'm going to see if I can squeeze an extra day from him. I'm actually looking at maybe working on Thanksgiving and the day after (which we have as holidays) because of an issue so that also might give me some leverage.
We're not trying to tell you to quit your job, but it is getting in the way of all the fun you could be having!
The Imagineering Story is pretty good. If you’ve ever watched the theme park history videos on YouTube, it’s like those, but with way more primary resources. Want to see the basketball court at the top of the Matterhorn? Lots of stuff like that.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
But does The Imagineering Story have a clearly defined villain??
Bob Chapek!
Heyyyy I was able to scramble out a day off for 12/9. We are staying at the Portofino Sunday night, which surprisingly is the cheapest of the 3 main hotels for the one night, will get up and hit the park Monday. Hagrid, I'm comin' for ye!
(12-02-2019, 10:34 AM)martianman Wrote: Heyyyy I was able to scramble out a day off for 12/9. We are staying at the Portofino Sunday night, which surprisingly is the cheapest of the 3 main hotels for the one night, will get up and hit the park Monday. Hagrid, I'm comin' for ye!

Sweet!  Have fun!
Walt Disney World has released some info regarding opening dates for various things around the resort:

- The new Epcot films (Canada: Far & Wide and Awesome Planet) will open on January 17th.
- Epcot's Space 220 restaurant comes online in February.
- Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway will open at Hollywood Studios on March 4th.
- The Ratatouille ride will open at Epcot by Summer.
- The high-end STAR WARS boutique hotel will open in 2021.

Bummed that I'll be missing Runaway Railway by only about five weeks.

In other news, tomorrow's the grand opening ceremony for Rise of the Resistance at Hollywood Studios. Open to the public on Thursday. We'll see how that goes!

ETA: Official blurbs for the Epcot shows...

“Awesome Planet” in The Land pavilion showcases the Earth’s beauty and diversity in a 10-minute film featuring spectacular imagery, in-theater effects and an original musical score from Academy Award-winning® composer Steven Price.

“Beauty and the Beast Sing-Along” in the France pavilion is directed and produced by Don Hahn, producer of the animated and live-action “Beauty and the Beast” films, and invites guests to participate in a twist on a tale as old as time. It also features narration from Angela Lansbury, who played Mrs. Potts in the original film. The new sing-along will run in rotation with “Impressions de France,” which will receive an upgrade to 4K projection.

Finally “Canada Far and Wide in Circle-Vision 360” in the Canada pavilion is an update to the previous “O Canada!” film with new scenes, a new musical score by Canadian composer Andrew Lockington and new narration by award-winning actors Catherine O’Hara and Eugene Levy.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2...anuary-17/
First reactions to Rise of the Resistance (from selected and friendly press, of course) are starting to appear...

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201912/7141/

Pretty effusive praise, though buried in the comments is the revelation that the ride went down two hours into operation and had to be evac'd.
'Evac' is not a word that you want to associate with a ride.
Not usually, no.

There's also some extensive video footage (provided by Disney itself) of much of the experience, but I've been avoiding that stuff, so I'm not going to share any of it here. Easy to find on YouTube, though.
I'm avoiding it too. I want to see it clean when I go in March. That said, those positive reviews are nice to see.
I watched it!

I also had to evac.
"Evac" is actually a pretty common term. It just means "go get people off the ride and clear out the building." Doesn't mean there's an emergency, just means that whatever the problem is, it's going to take longer to fix than we want people just sitting around waiting.

----------

I hope I don't evac when I ride Hagrid next week if you know what I'm sayin'.
Evac is the name of the wimpy Autobot ride vehicle in Transformers the Ride!
I'm a follower of these guys, and here's a video of their first impressions fresh off the ride...

Sounds like it will be extremely impressive (when it works).
Guest reaction to the ride so far is effusive and gushing. Operationally, it seems to have only had a few hiccups as of this point.
I watched a ride-through on YouTube, and man, it looks incredible.
It does appear that Disney put together something pretty special with this one. Many "Top 5 ride"-type reactions.
Nice blend of musion screens and animatronics. I dug the blaster effects, too.