Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Theme/Amusement Park Thread
(05-21-2020, 02:54 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Virtual lines for almost all attractions.

Any indication yet how many virtual reservations a guest will be allowed to hold at one time? If it ends up being only one, and most attractions require it, people are going to end up spending a lot of idle time doing essentially nothing but waiting outside of queues instead of inside them.

Which I know is ultimately the point in this situation, but I hope there's going to be a way for guests to be able to maximize how many attractions they're able to experience in a day.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I'm sure there's a plan for that but it wasn't anything we revealed during the presentation today.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I listened to the quickie Unofficial Universal Orlando podcast this afternoon, my first podcast in two months! They went over the news in a little bit of detail. I just -- I just don't think it's really going to be that much "fun" right now. Or maybe I'm a stick in the mud.
Those retro Universal Studios Florida glasses sold out in Univeral's online store in a matter of hours. The mug's still available.

I ultimately think that's quite encouraging, as it might open Universal's eyes to there being a healthy demand for more nostalgic, vintage-style merchandise offerings.
(05-21-2020, 08:02 PM)bradito Wrote: I listened to the quickie Unofficial Universal Orlando podcast this afternoon, my first podcast in two months! They went over the news in a little bit of detail. I just -- I just don't think it's really going to be that much "fun" right now. Or maybe I'm a stick in the mud.

I think early on you're not going to get the family vacation crowd.  You're going to get the theme park junkie crowd, the kind who'd normally go and ride maybe one or two things, eat lunch, shop some and go home.

Essentially, Universal and Disney are going to be regional parks for a good while.

----------

Eek, they're going to turn into Disneyland!
Progress continues at the Jurassic Park coaster in Islands of Adventure.  Supports and track are going up fast.

https://orlandoparkstop.com/news/rumors/...and-track/

[Image: EYnSpJcWoAc5Fh7-MAIN-1024x576.jpg]

I'm quite nervous about what all the track is going to do to the view of the Discovery Center from across the lagoon, but I suspect bigtime coaster fans are going to be very happy with the attraction once it opens (theoretically) next year.
Yeah, it'll kill the view of the Discovery Center, but seeing the coaster from across the lagoon is going to cause stampedes.

----------

I guess if it draws people away from Hagrid, I'll grudgingly take it.
SeaWorld and Disney are giving their presentations to the Orange County task force right now. SeaWorld is shooting for a June 11 opening with measures pretty similar to what Universal is doing (required masks, temperature screenings, distancing in queues, etc). But Disney isn't opening until July -- July 11 for Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom, July 15 for Epcot and Hollywood Studios -- and will require advance reservations for park entry. THAT is going to piss off what is undoubtedly the most entitled theme park fandom in the world.

----------

Holy shit...no 4th of July at Disney. That's huge.
I have a hunch that Disney wants to avoid a lengthy period of time where WDW is open but Disneyland isn't (for appearances' sake, I don't think they want to be caught too much in between the different approaches of Florida and California), so are perhaps holding off on WDW for a bit longer than they otherwise might in order to be closer to when Disneyland might be allowed to operate.

Also, WDW has a more difficult time to staff-up again than Universal or SeaWorld, because they've relied so heavily on the college program and the international exchange for Epcot; so they've either got to call those people back quickly (difficult but not impossible) or replace those positions from elsewhere in the employee pool, who would then need to be retrained (particularly for the Epcot positions).

And I also think they want to see how well Universal operates for a month to learn anything useful from their experience.
that reminds me: what did the foreign workers who staffed the World Showcase pavilions end up having to do? Did they have to go home or were they allowed to stay?
Sent back to their home countries, as far as I heard.
(05-27-2020, 11:13 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: Holy shit...no 4th of July at Disney. That's huge.

Not like any firework displays are going on this year anyway. Also, Disney specifically mentioned no firework shows, parades, or any events that would cause large crowds to gather. AND no character meet and greets either.

(05-27-2020, 11:27 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: that reminds me: what did the foreign workers who staffed the World Showcase pavilions end up having to do? Did they have to go home or were they allowed to stay?

They were on work visas. Since they were no longer working, they had to leave the country. This led to two of my favorite things at Epcot -- the taiko drummers in Japan and the British Revolution band in the UK -- possibly being gone forever from the park.

----------

I won't lie: if Matzuriza is gone for good, I'll be pissed. Their absence will significantly impact my desire to visit WDW.
Six Flags in Oklahoma is reopening on June 5th.

Also, there's a Six Flags in Oklahoma!
(05-27-2020, 11:53 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: I won't lie: if Matzuriza is gone for good, I'll be pissed.  Their absence will significantly impact my desire to visit WDW.

Even if I wasn't watching the show, just hearing the drums from across the park was neat.

----------

Saw a long line this morning on Twitter of folks waiting to get into the Word of Disney store at Disney Springs. Everyone distanced in the line and they were virtual queuing.
Apparently, outside of a few moments where people had to be told to disperse, the Disney Cast Members did an excellent job of keeping things very orderly.
Yeah it didn't look like people were being pissy. Some folks had masks and some didn't, but the cast members looked to be super cheerful, as usual.
I just don't get waiting in line for three hours to go shopping.

I'm going to the team member preview at Universal on Monday, so I'll see first-hand what's going on.

----------

The final performance of Matsuriza.  It's very cool, as it looks like everyone was there to essentially do a victory lap after 25 years at the Japan pavilion.  Looks like they had a large, enthusiastic crowd as well.

I really, really hope that they aren't gone for good.

Jurassic Park coaster update...
[Image: EZxA1BJWsAYlbSu?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]
I'll have to see it in motion.
I'm just waiting for us to announce the damn thing already.

----------

They way you guys tend to hold back, I'm not expecting an announcement until January as part of a "Here's what's coming to Universal Orlando in 2021" type thing.
(6 hours ago)Belloq87 Wrote: They way you guys tend to hold back, I'm not expecting an announcement until January as part of a "Here's what's coming to Universal Orlando in 2021" type thing.

At the rate we're going, it'll be finished by then.  Besides, you want to have an opening date to drive future travel bookings.  Something we're really going to need coming out of the shutdown.

Speaking off, I did the team member preview on Monday, then Jillian, me and a friend of hers stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel while they did the passholder preview on Wednesday and Thursday.  Distancing and hand-washing signage all over the place, lots of markers on the ground marking off 6 feet intervals.  It wasn't crowded, but it was about the equivalent of a non-peak weekday crowd, but the wait times were a little higher than you'd expect due to the safety protocols.  But it looked like all the guests were complying, and the staff were all genuinely happy to see visitors again.

----------

Well, that's good news. Everyone in masks?
(5 hours ago)Richard Dickson Wrote: At the rate we're going, it'll be finished by then.  Besides, you want to have an opening date to drive future travel bookings.  Something we're really going to need coming out of the shutdown.

I've heard the plan has always been to hold back the opening until summer of 2021 to tie into the release of the next JURASSIC WORLD movie.

I guess maybe they shift to a holiday season opening if they feel they really want to drive attendance at the end of this year.
(4 hours ago)bradito Wrote: Well, that's good news. Everyone in masks?

Yes, aside from small children and those with medical conditions.  Those were given special wristbands to identify them so they didn't get hassled all day.

----------