Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comedy Other Than Norm Fucking MacDonald
That Louis CK set was so weird.

I couldn't help wondering if it was an attempt to do his own fucked up "The Day the Laughter Died"; intentionally bomb + outrage the audience - but instead they ate it all up, no matter how low he'd go. .

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Rolled thru "Bumping Mics" yesterday. Good stuff. Episode 2 with Gilbert Gottfried an alltimer.

It was funny for Attell. Ross is just stale.
I still like Ross. They played off each other beautifully.

I hardly have any comedy go-tos these days. Red Letter Media, Maria Bamford and the How Did This Get Made? Podcast.
The Ken Jeong special by Jon M. Chu on Netflix is...fine. I enjoyed it, because I enjoy listening to Ken Jeong tell stories, but it's not particularly funny. It's more warm than anything, and while he goes back to the same well of Mr. Chow references a lot for a single hour, it was a pleasant enough hour. The special is at its best when he's talking about things that are important to him, such as Asian representation in media and cancer research.

I recommend it, but it's not something I'd rewatch.
home taping is killing music
With free Showtime a few weeks ago, I caught Eddie Griffin's 30th anniversary stand up special. I've never been a fan, but it was one of those 'I'm up at 3 AM, so..' decisions. Hacky as hell, but not without its charms.

The other day caught the new Ray Romano on Netflix. Another guy I'm not big on -he's like my parents' comic- but he was pretty funny in an old school Cos kind of way. Ending was a nice touch.

I just watched the Wanda Sykes special on Netflix. It had been awhile since I had seen a special with her, as nearly everything I see is her as guest on a show. She's still got it. The political comedy is spot on, but the physical work is what kept surprising me. It will not play well as an album, because there is a healthy amount of face and body movement in it.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
i watched the new Anthony Jeselnik special last night and thought it was pretty great. Unlike a lot of his contemporaries (looking at you Tosh) he leavens his dark "non-PC" material with just the right amount of irony so that he never actually comes across like an asshole. Doesn't hurt that his stuff is so over the top (he has an entire 10 minute bit about how much he enjoys dropping other people's babies) that it's never in danger of of being taken seriously.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Jeselnik and Tosh is a good comparison. On a surface level, their material is similar, but Jeselnik has substance while Tosh seems like a shallow sociopath.
"There is a revolutionary new stand-up comedy special and it is Red State Bleu State with @iamcolinquinn. He has soared past everyone. He is not a political comedian, but a historic comedian. This special is a vivid, perfect snapshot of today. @iamcolinquinn is the best alive." - Norm Macdonald

I just caught up with this on VOD. It killed me.

A lot of people on social media mocked Norm's praise, but as pointed out before I'm sure, CQ has always been a comedian's comedian. I love the guy.