Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comedy Other Than Norm Fucking MacDonald
Louis CK has released a new standup special on his website. Lots of "Louis CK forcing something on us while we can't leave our room" jokes going around on Twitter.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
https://twitter.com/GianmarcoSoresi/stat...0522354691

Quote:VULTURE: "Here's a Leaked List of the 600,000 Men Who Bought Louis CK's New Special"
(03-30-2020, 07:57 AM)Fat Elvis Wrote: I wasn't sure where to put this, but too funny not to share:

https://twitter.com/MrAndrewCotter/statu...5031232519

More hilarity!

https://twitter.com/MrAndrewCotter/statu...3270596610

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

As much as I loved SEINFELD, I was never a big fan of Jerry's standup...Maybe I'm just older, or so bummed I'm desperate to laugh, but his new Netflix special, for me, was easily the best I've ever seen from him. I laughed *hard* several times, to my surprise.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Man I really disliked the special. I thought it was peak old man, even for Seinfeld. He even had a bunch of super hacky "aren't women kuh-raaazy, guys??" jokes.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
A bunch of George Carlin's hour-long HBO specials are on Prime. I can probably recite "Jammin' in New York," since I had it on tape as a young 'un.
(05-05-2020, 06:42 PM)Evi Wrote: Man I really disliked the special. I thought it was peak old man, even for Seinfeld. He even had a bunch of super hacky "aren't women kuh-raaazy, guys??" jokes.
Oh, it certainly wasn't groundbreaking. On the Seinfeld Sliding Scale, I still thought it was his best. Like I said, I was needing a laugh!
This is the same set Jerry has been traveling with for many years (I saw him in 2014 and remembered pretty much every bit), but it's good to have it recorded. Hard not to respect the hell out of a guy who can craft such a rock solid hour without using language stronger than "goddamn," though I wonder who was president when he crafted it.
Wow, I didn't realize he'd been doing the same set for that long.

I remember a Southern comic who was popular in Nashville for about 20 years with the same act... after a certain point, when he was in town, people would call the club and ask if he was still doing the same thing. He finally had to hire some guys to write a new set for him. It wasn't as good, but the audience seemed relieved.
Jeff Foxworthy??
Ha, no, this guy never got to that level, or even to the level under that.
I'm not versed enough in comedy to state this confidently, but I thought the idea of generating a new hour of material every 1-3 years is a relatively recent thing, and comics like Seinfeld or Leno come from an older school where you refine the same set indefinitely, maybe cycling a fraction of it. I figured that's why these guys release few to zero specials.
Yeah, touring comics put together a new hour once a year, record a special and then start from scratch.
I made the mistake of watching Chappelle's specials before I watched a bunch of others (Burr, Segura, Maron, Jeselnick) that paled in comparison. Why didn't you guys warn me?
One of the caveats of churning through material as quickly as most comics do is the fact that some of it feels a tad undercooked.
Maron's in particular felt super undercooked. Meanwhile Chappelle did 17 specials in the last 2 years and they were all sparky as fuck.
New Life Role Model:

https://twitter.com/EscoBlades/status/12...5292146688

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

(05-07-2020, 02:37 AM)Bucho Wrote: Maron's in particular felt super undercooked. Meanwhile Chappelle did 17 specials in the last 2 years and they were all sparky as fuck.

I watched Maron's special and it was interesting how the material didn't seem to land nearly as well as when I'd seen him do most of it live about a year ago.

All the Pence stuff is just so hack, and I don't even like Pence.
Does he posit that the vice president may in fact be a closeted homosexual?
Believe it or not.

Iron Man is also part of the equation for... reasons.