Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Rollin' thru classic Dangerfield HBO specials.

Embarrassed at how much Barry Sobel was an influence on my sense of humor.

This was basically my schtick in HS.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Barry Sobel was on a guest on an episode of the Doug Stanhope podcast a couple years ago. He went on become the most bitched-about guest by fans of the podcast.
Brad, was he a jerk or what?

I had no idea Tim Thomerson was ever a comedian. This set starts off slightly hacky, and then he elevates to pure brilliance. 

He seemed incredibly desperate to be liked and obnoxiously hyperactive. He also refused to complete a personal story that he kept starting to tell, but would then stop abruptly and suggest he'd get into it later during a subsequent episode.

There never was a subsequent episode with him on it.
Bradito: you heard of this guy? I just discovered his videos. This killed me:

https://twitter.com/shrimpJAJ/status/131...4336513024

Another fun one:

https://twitter.com/shrimpJAJ/status/129...7951922176

James Austin Johnson was just starting open mics in Nashville around the time I quit doing standup. I ran into him maybe twice. Now he's doing well in LA and was even on the season finale of BETTER CALL SAUL a couple of seasons back. Good for him!
I watched the first 3 episodes of Showtime's 'The Comedy Store' doc. There's this brilliant bit they tell of Richard Pryor going on stage, introducing himself as God. "I'm looking for my son." "He was WHAT?!" He goes on to ask about other crucified martyrs, the bit ending with Pryor as God walking off saying "You're all on your own."

The Kinison stories are also as great as you'd expect.

Was cool seeing Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans laughing about an old stand-up bit Wayans would do. Hadn't seen those two interact with each other since ILC.
If you're a fan of Comedy Store history, I'd recommend the book "I'm Dying up Here." They made it into a fictionalized Showtime series that I didn't watch, but the book goes into the inception of The Store in the '70s and covers the strike that drove one comic to commit suicide by jumping off the roof of the hotel next to the Store. RIP Steve Lubetkin.
The doc makes you somewhat appreciative /sympathetic of Pauly Shore.

Still, pretty hilarious when one comedian in a quick cut snarkily stated Pauly said something like "In the 70's there was Pryor. In the 80's there was Sam. In the 90's there was me."

I've seen Pauly live. He's a true original. But, I'm a Tom Green apologist. So...
This one isn't quite as good, but still funny as fuck:

"DON TAKES ON FAILED CRITICS WHO PANNED DOWNHILL, CALLS JULIA LOUIS GERVIS A "TREASURE", URGES SUPPORTERS TO REASSESS "OVERLOOKED GEM"!!!!!!"

https://twitter.com/shrimpJAJ/status/132...6154644480

Re: Dane Cook. I wasn't a fan from the first two things I ever really saw him in. I mean, initially I had already seen MYSTERY MEN (1999) and his quick appearance as The Waffler at least registered as amusing, for the ten or fifteen seconds it lasted. But two films -- Peter Pau's THE TOUCH (2002) with Michelle Yeoh and the Dennis Rodman action comedy SIMON SEZ (1999, though I saw it after THE TOUCH) -- were enough to sour me on the guy. In both, he basically played "bumbling, irritating American guy," once as a henchman and once as a supposed FBI agent, and was obnoxious to the degree that every time he showed up in the movies, they just stopped. And in SIMON SEZ where he's the second lead, running around doing a terrible Jim Carrey ripoff performance right down to an embarrassing dinosaur impression, ooof. It was already not a great movie to begin with, but ooooooof.

Sometimes you can tell how good someone's art is by their fans. Cook amassed a following with "dude bros," and especially here in my area the dude bros are as many, as loud and as irritating as anywhere. Usually travelling in packs and audible from blocks away, these clowns were the worst, and, for a time, Cook was their alpha. To try to be fair, I did give a listen to Cook's first two albums, see if I was missing anything. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED (2003), I was shocked to find, actually made me laugh out loud two or three times, though it was less from the writing and more from the random exclamation or funny noise Cook would punctuate a bit with. RETALIATION (2005), I remember nothing about other than the fact that I didn't like it and that was enough for me and Dane Cook.

I'll tell you what happened to Dane Cook, though, that kept him off the A-stage. Ryan Reynolds. They came up into public mass-audience awareness and attention around the same time, and many - including myself- would often get them confused. "Which one's the stand-up comic?" "Okay, which one's the one trying to be the new Chevy Chase?" "Okay, which one's the Doctor in that Harold and Kumar thing?"

Reynolds: NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VAN WILDER (2002), BLADE TRINITY (2004), WAITING (2005), SMOKING ACES (2006)
Cook: WAITING (2005), EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH (2006), GOOD LUCK CHUCK (2007), MY BEST FRIEND'S GIRL (2008).

I did not realize that they were both in 2005's WAITING, never having seen it. Did they have scenes together? I can't help but wonder if they worked and/or were friendly, or if there were any sort of on-set bro-offs or random energy vortexes... (In that; I can't imagine being in the same room with them at the same time. That they might absorb all the ambient energy in the room, or how it might be like Ron Silver meeting Other Ron Silver at the end of TIMECOP.)

At the time, they both were sort of in similar positions. In early to mid 2000s movies, both got noticed in roles as wacky, good-looking, smarmy characters with a crooked grin and major side-eye for their fellow characters.

Reynolds got the touch of the hand of fate and success in the movie business, though, by all accounts a much nicer guy and a harder worker, genuinely caring for his fellow man and helpful to others, spending time with Alanis Morissette and Scarlett Johansson, later getting together with Blake Lively and going show biz nuclear with DEADPOOL, as well as making massive success in the gin business. Cook went on to be savaged by most local and seemingly industry stand-ups, knowingly or unknowingly plagiarizing material from some, but still gets the occasional TV and indie film role and sometimes moving into writing, producing and directing, unusually enough appearing in four different projects in the last three years with the word "American" in the title. (AMERICAN GODS, THE AMERICAN MEME, AMERICAN TYPECAST, AMERICAN EXIT.)

What it really boils down to, though, is that one is a sympathetic type, and one isn't. Though I don't know much about what kind of people either Reynolds or Cook are off the set in their private lives, one does get the feeling that entertainment industry smiled upon Reynolds and took a step back from Cook. Hollywood can be like HIGHLANDER. When it comes to two similar warriors, sometimes there can be only one.

Just my take, anyway.

I might not be Pauly Shore's biggest fan either, but back in 1991 when MTV really started going heavily into the comedy scene, he had a one-off television project called PAULY'S TOTALLY BUFF SPECIAL. I recently found this on an old VHS (along with episodes of AEON FLUX, Alex Winter's THE IDIOT BOX and YOU WROTE IT, YOU WATCH IT with Jon Stewart) and I still find the TOTALLY BUFF special funny.

Like a BILL & TED character negotiating the world of REPO MAN and laden with references to Warrant's "Cherry Pie" and AMERICAN GIGOLO, it worked on its small scale and still amuses me.

Man, Los Angeles in the 80s and early 90s must have been something.
Watching the final 2 episodes of 'The Comedy Store'.

Joe Rogan always seems like such a tool, the dick sucking was a little much. Is he really funny? Like when 'The Boxer' kicked in, as the man said, hide under the universe embarrassing. It's hard for me to get into the comedy of someone I know is a moron.

I did appreciate being introduced -new to me- Annie Lederman + Brian Holtzman.

I laughed pretty hard at this one.

https://twitter.com/shrimpJAJ/status/132...0870985729

Rolling:

https://twitter.com/etienneshrdlu/status...1336459264

"These bad guys... really not so bad. You talk to some of these guys--"
I've been watching a lot of Colin Quinn interviews. He's one of my heroes. So, after checking out an old Nick DiPalo show, the rabbit hole led me to watch my first ever Joe Rogan episode all the way. What a sludge to get through! I'm trying to think of the right vibe to describe Rogan - my first instinct was a musclebound Cliff Clavin - trying to impress with random trivial information / wikipedia tidbits. That's not right, though. More like the guy in high school who had been held back, but had kind of a small pond faux Fonzi cool, and would hold court with younger kids bullshitting about sexual exploits and what he knew about chicks and drugs. Also, kind of a neediness to be seen as smart. So many times Quinn would be making a point, and Rogan would jump in to finish his sentence, or over explain to his meathead fanbase.  The comedy stories were fun, but that came mostly from Quinn's side.

I can't tell, is Rogan really liked and respected by his peers, or is there a lot of asskissing because of the size of his platform?

also, the guy wouldn't shut up about podcasts. Anybody interesting brought up in conversation, Joe was like 'They should have a podcast.'. A worst obsession about the form than Kevin Smith.

Norm discussion:

(elevator story rules)

"Dice" was a Showtime show, right? Am I overlooking, or are old episodes not available on the channel's VOD? They have fucking 'Fat Actress' for goodness sake! I looked in both 'Series' and 'Reality/ Docs" and unless i'm going blind I don't see it. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy the thing...

Right now I've got Showtime through Prime and even with that it's only available at cost for the season or per episode.

Too bad, wouldn't mind seeing the ones with Adrien Brody and James Woods again.
I'd been listening to so much Dice + Kinison for weeks, the cadence of my inner monologue changed from my own voice to Sam's.  Not the screaming part, but just the rapid coked up sneer. It's so weird to be having a semi-awake vivid dream where it's kind of romantic and sweet; in conversation or passion with an old love, and your words are coming out in that way.

so anyway, I'm switching up to Cheech & Chong.

All the early records are on YT:

A little late with this one, but I just saw it today and laughed:

https://twitter.com/shrimpJAJ/status/132...6058551303

This is like a glam rock/ FM era "Fight For Your Right To Party"

The stoner 'Who's on First' - listen with headphones!

More killer bits:

There was no way the Showtime BELUSHI doc could live up to my expectations, but it did a nice job of humanizing the legend. It's more melancholy than funny, which is kind of a drag and not something he would've probably wanted. I wish there was a better balance of celebrating his impact on comedy along with the doom and gloom of tragedy. They say he was a game changer, but don't show it enough, in my opinion. Seeing his early National Lampoon stage work was the highlight. The SNL era was more about how difficult he was than showing how magical he was when the camera was on. Like they couldn't at least show his famous 'Luck of the Irish' Update rant? It would've been cool if they had dress rehearsal footage and stuff like that. Anyway, Lorne comes off the worst. Condescending & ungrateful.