Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Friday Shameless Consumerism - What did you buy?

Brag about your finds here and let others know if you find any crazy deals.

On Amazon right now, you can buy JUSTIFIED (complete series) on blu ray for $59.99.  I just grabbed this.

https://www.amazon.com/Justified-Complet...ed+blu+ray

I tossed a bunch of cash at the Fantasy Flight and Miniature Market holiday sales, and tonight my local game store is doing a Black Friday preview sale for members of its Meetup group.  And that's probably going to be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

I tossed a bunch of cash at the Fantasy Flight and Miniature Market holiday sales,

Link?

Also, looks like that deal on JUSTIFIED is already done.  Damn, that was fast.

AI'm buying my peace of mind and soundness of body by staying out of this mad feeding frenzy.

That said, I did just pick up a DIY kit for a clone Fender Jazz Bass on the cheap. But not for Black Friday.

Fantasy Flight Games Holiday Sale

Miniature Market Thanksgiving Sale

The shipping varies pretty wildly for FFG, in some cases enough to be a deal breaker, but Miniature Market has $5.99 flat shipping and free shipping over $100.

Cool Stuff has a small preview of their Black Friday sale going on now, with the full sale starting tomorrow.

AI'm probably not buying anything today (all my Christmas shopping is done), but I am being seriously tempted by some of the watch deals around the interwebs.

With the Swiss watch market under heavy strain, great deals are in abundance.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Fantasy Flight Games Holiday Sale

Miniature Market Thanksgiving Sale

The shipping varies pretty wildly for FFG, in some cases enough to be a deal breaker, but Miniature Market has $5.99 flat shipping and free shipping over $100.

Cool Stuff has a small preview of their Black Friday sale going on now, with the full sale starting tomorrow.

Tempted to pick up some of the EDGE OF THE EMPIRE rpg stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

I'm probably not buying anything today (all my Christmas shopping is done), but I am being seriously tempted by some of the watch deals around the interwebs.

With the Swiss watch market under heavy strain, great deals are in abundance.

If you come across a great deal on an Omega Seamaster Spectre, please PM me.

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/156076/black-friday-shameless-consumerism-what-did-you-buy#post_4178151"]
If you come across a great deal on an Omega Seamaster Spectre, please PM me.
[/quote]
I will.

Admittedly, the really good deals are on midrange watches ($500-$1500). I'm seeing crazy deals on pieces from Edox, Frederique Constant, Hamilton, and Raymond Weil. That's the segment of the market that is in danger of collapsing.
Quote:

I will.

Admittedly, the really good deals are on midrange watches ($500-$1500). I'm seeing crazy deals on pieces from Edox, Frederique Constant, Hamilton, and Raymond Weil. That's the segment of the market that is in danger of collapsing.

I had no idea that this market was in peril.  Any links to any information/articles on what's going on?

edit: disregard.  plenty of articles found via Google search.

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/156076/black-friday-shameless-consumerism-what-did-you-buy#post_4178156"]
I had no idea that this market was in peril.  Any links to any information/articles on what's going on?
[/quote]
"Several factors have contributed to the decline in luxury watch sales: the strong Swiss franc, China’s crackdown on luxury gift-giving, tumbling oil prices, currency turbulence in Russia, uncertainty associated with the U.S. election and terror attacks in France, where tourism has slumped. In all of Europe, sales have increased only in the UK, particularly following the Brexit vote, which weakened the pound and thus the price of luxury watches."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolbesler/...stry-woes/

The October earnings report was particularly troubling. The secondhand market has already seen prices plummet for high-end brands (Rolex remains typically steady, but there have been steep declines for brands like Cartier and Jaeger-LeCoultre).

The forecast is pretty bleak for 2017. Most collectors are expecting to see many midrange brands collapse (especially those not tied to a major conglomerate, like Swatch). Brands like Maurice Lacroix and Eterna appear to be just dumping their pieces on the market right now.

If you're going to buy a nice watch, 2017 will probably be the year to do it.
Quote:

"Several factors have contributed to the decline in luxury watch sales: the strong Swiss franc, China’s crackdown on luxury gift-giving, tumbling oil prices, currency turbulence in Russia, uncertainty associated with the U.S. election and terror attacks in France, where tourism has slumped. In all of Europe, sales have increased only in the UK, particularly following the Brexit vote, which weakened the pound and thus the price of luxury watches."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolbesler/...stry-woes/

The October earnings report was particularly troubling. The secondhand market has already seen prices plummet for high-end brands.

The forecast is pretty bleak for 2017. Most collectors are expecting to see many midrange brands collapse (especially those not tied to a major conglomerate, like Swatch). Brands like Maurice Lacroix and Eterna appear to be just dumping their pieces on the market right now.

If you're going to buy a nice watch, 2017 will probably be the year to do it.

Hopefully I can pick up that SPECTRE on the secondary market cheaply.  I missed buying one by ONE FUCKING DAY at my regular jewelry store when I could have bought it for $6500.  They're completely sold out worldwide.  Now, you can't find them for less than 10K on the secondary market (and I have qualms about their authenticity).

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/156076/black-friday-shameless-consumerism-what-did-you-buy#post_4178162"]
Hopefully I can pick up that SPECTRE on the secondary market cheaply.  I missed buying one by ONE FUCKING DAY at my regular jewelry store when I could have bought it for $6500.  They're completely sold out worldwide.  Now, you can't find them for less than 10K on the secondary market (and I have qualms about their authenticity).
[/quote]
If you're willing to pick up the standard SM300 (almost identical to the SPECTRE edition, the biggest difference being the absence of the lollipop seconds hand), that can be had for a very good price.

[Image: 400]
Quote:

If you're willing to pick up the standard SM300 (almost identical to the SPECTRE edition, the biggest difference being the absence of the lollipop seconds hand), that can be had for a very good price.

It also doesn't have the black/grey watch strap.

My main issue: I had the watch.  I'd tried it on a couple of times and fell in love with it.  I was waiting for a bonus to come through (as well as spousal permission).  It came through and I went to buy it only to find that somebody had bought the last one the day prior.  She hadn't picked it up yet (it was a gift for her husband), so I got to try it on one more time before I had to let it go.  I then had the store start looking for another one.  A few days later, they informed me that they were struggling to find one.  A week later, one of the execs from Omega was out there checking on the store (Omega is very exclusive, and only two stores in the Twin Cities sell them) and I happened to be there.  He confirmed to me that they were completely sold out worldwide.

So yeah...ONE FUCKING DAY.  This isn't a watch anymore, it's a quest.

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/156076/black-friday-shameless-consumerism-what-did-you-buy#post_4178168"]
It also doesn't have the black/grey watch strap.
[/quote]
FWIW, that's easily obtained.
Quote:

FWIW, that's easily obtained.

Not legit ones.  I've seen copies that don't have the tight knitting of the actual band.

Here's the watch: https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/seamaster/seamaster-300/spectre-limited-edition/product/

If you look at the band, it's a really tightly knit and elegant band.  I wore the thing...it looks really, really sharp.  All of the bands that I've seen have the colors right but don't have the knitting right.  If you've found a band out there that actually looks like the legit band, I'd love to see it.

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/156076/black-friday-shameless-consumerism-what-did-you-buy#post_4178176"]
If you've found a band out there that actually looks like the legit band, I'd love to see it.
[/quote]
You can buy an official Omega NATO separately through an Omega dealer (https://www.omegawatches.com/accessories...ZSZ002045/) for about $200-300.

But I don't like NATO straps, so I'm not an expert on third-party options, but you might want to look at Phoenix, who used to supply NATO straps to Rolex.

I may have to go that route and just get the strap.  Fact is, I already have an Omega (I ended up buying a different Bond-influenced one) that I love, and I bet that the strap would look good with it.  I'll check with my jeweler and see if they can get it for me.

I went for a 1TB PS4 Pro and some games on the ebae

Bought some blu rays and Beats headphones at Best Buy tonight on the way home from dinner.  STAR TREK BEYOND  and CA: CIVIL WAR for $7.99 each was too good to pass up.

APicked up a bunch of board game expansions at my local game store's event, then got nine Blu-rays from Best Buy after stopping in on a total whim. Picked up Civil War, Django Unchained, Hateful Eight, The Martian, The Witch, Krampus, Wizard of Oz and the last two Trek movies for around $55.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I went for a 1TB PS4 Pro and some games on the ebae

Well that's one Chewer into the fold... still waiting for D.T.

I honestly haven't seen anything worth a damn to buy on any of the deals.  Either I already have everything I need, the deals are just on crap OR I am not looking in the right places.

I did buy the Harry Potter 8 film collection on Blu for $35 on Amazon but nothing else has tickled my fancy.

AI did pretty well. Got blus of Krampus, 10 Cloverfield Lane, San Andreas(which I've never seen), The Boy and The Martian for about $25.

Gotta pay a few necessities and, depending on how much fun money that leaves me, I may go back and grab another few that I had my eye on..

Grabbed The Witcher's expansion on sale on Xbox Live, and an Amazon Fire tablet at 33% off. Those things are great.

AWent back in to get some veggies to go with dinner tonight and grabbed Tarzan, Sicario and Gods of Egypt...none of which I've seen..

you watch GODS OF EGYPT

you watch it right now

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Went back in to get some veggies to go with dinner tonight and grabbed Tarzan, Sicario and Gods of Egypt...none of which I've seen..

I'll give you your money back if you don't love Gods Of Egypt. (I won't really)

A[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/156076/black-friday-shameless-consumerism-what-did-you-buy#post_4178645"]
I'll give you your money back if you don't love Gods Of Egypt. (I won't really)
[/quote]
Comments like this is exactly why I went ahead and took that plunge Smile
AShould I get Star Trek: Beyond on blu for $12.99 CDN? It's the only decent deal I've seen around here.
A[quote name="catartik" url="/community/t/156076/black-friday-shameless-consumerism-what-did-you-buy#post_4178661"]Should I get Star Trek: Beyond on blu for $12.99 CDN? It's the only decent deal I've seen around here.[/quote]
It's slightly cheaper at Walmart..
AI had 10 bucks in Best Buy rewards coupons expiring at the end of the year, so I picked up the deluxe Star Wars Battlefront that was on sale for 10 bucks. I already have the base edition, but never got any of the add ons. So this was me just getting the season pass for 10 bucks.
AI got the Harry Potter Blu-ray boxed set of all eight movies for $35 on Amazon; it's usually $100. They even sent over a bunch of Black Friday shoppers to trample me to death.
So I went out last night after Turkey dinner to hit Best Buy, Target, and Wal-Mart. Not sure what anyone else experienced, but for me...it was pretty dead. Best Buy was the busiest (and also had the best deals), but even they had all of their doorbuster DVDs/blu rays/4ks available; nothing was sold out. The crazy deals on the $200 PS4 bundles (and similar) were gone, but that was it. Shopping was easy and there were no lines to speak of. I asked one of the guys there about how dead it was and he was like, 'It was crazy for the first hour or so but it's otherwise been like a normal Saturday'. Target and Wal-Mart were even worse.

The only craziness that I saw was at Gamestop. They opened at 3pm yesterday, and I got there early to get in on a PS4 Pro RDR2 combo for $399 (not a deal, but they were giving out $50 gift cards with the purchase). That was a crazy line, and a lot of people were there for that same combo that I got as well as the Nintendo Switch combo.

What did everyone else see? Just curious.
I bought an Oculus VR, 80 $ off on Amazon so fuck it. Got some decent discounts on Lego for the kids too.
I found Creed on 4K at Walmart! I couldn't believe it! Made my day.

Got Hell or High Water too..