Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hollywood Scandals & Assorted Skeeve Catch-All

Aaron Sorkin is up there as well.  But the writer as auteur era is kind of over.

Athat spec script bubble was such a particular time

it was really just the late 80s to the early 90s right?
APretty much. In fact, I think it was the fizzling of guys like Black and Eszterhas along with their enormous paychecks that burst it. By the late 90's (97, 98...) that time had passed.
AThere was Kaufman in the early '00's, at least in terms of critical acclaim, but yeah, nobody at that stature anymore.

Speaking of Eszterhas, is it bad that I'm fantasizing that after he eventually dies, the next Oscars' "In Memoriam" sequence does "Every got AIDS and shit!" when his name comes up?
AI have faint memories of an Oscars In Memoriam from years and years back where a woman who died (she may have been a producer who shit on guys like Spielberg with a tell-all book or something) was one of those whose picture showed up and virtually no one clapped.
AJulia Phillips! That's who it was. It was probably the '02 or '03 Oscars, so not exactly as long ago as I remembered.
AI've never even heard of that name!
AShe wrote You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again. Never read it, but it was in the same vein as Hollywood Babylon and Hollywood Animal, but specifically designed to be an orgy of score-settling against all of the major players that Phillips hated. She was a producer on Close Encounters but was fired after her coke-habit became unmanageable and damaging to the film.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

She wrote You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again. Never read it, but it was in the same vein as Hollywood Babylon and Hollywood Animal, but specifically designed to be an orgy of score-settling against all of the major players that Phillips hated. She was a producer on Close Encounters but was fired after her coke-habit became unmanageable and damaging to the film.

It's a really good book, though of course you have to decide how much to believe.

She never really rats out Spielberg on anything beyond being a Man child.

AI read some excerpts from it, but I don't think I can bring myself to indulge in someone going "I love coke, I hate coke, I hate my life, I hate Hollywood, she's so ugly, he has a tiny dick, etc..." I've heard that the whole thing is a fun read, but if there's a lot of that, then I'm already bored.
AOn another subject, but still related to the culture of Hollywood, what the fuck is with this spate of actresses who basically stop being actresses in all but name and decide to show various body parts on Instagram and walk about as paparazzi bait?

I'll cop to perusing the Daily Mail and whatnot if I'm bored and seeing this shit, but it used to be that even if you were setting up paparazzi to "catch you" in your underwear or whatever, you at least still had an actual job as an actor or singer and that other stuff was just sprinkles and not the whole cake.
A[quote name="JacknifeJohnny" url="/community/t/156090/hollywood-scandals-assorted-skeeve-catch-all/50#post_4271796"]On another subject, but still related to the culture of Hollywood, what the fuck is with this spate of actresses who basically stop being actresses in all but name and decide to show various body parts on Instagram and walk about as paparazzi bait?[/quote]
It's the logical endpoint society has been working towards since people first started getting famous for having leaked sex tapes.
Ahow else is a celebrity to keep her name trending on social media???

THE BRAND!!!

MAINTAIN THE BRAND!!!
AIt makes me look like a prude when I blanche at this stuff, but really, it's about how boring it all is. Yeah, you're fit and whatnot, but why should anyone watch you do what any girl working at a Dunkin' Donuts in Arkansas can do? I suppose if one doesn't really want to bust their ass making music or chasing this or that film role, then I guess setting your self up as jerk-off material looks good to a 18 to 20-something who would rather skip the unsexy part of becoming rich and famous.
AI think I get you. I understand that some people want the attention that comes with being a celebrity and aren't willing to wait for their big break (or even necessarily cultivate some sort of skill), but it's bizarre that there's a market for them.
A[quote name="JacknifeJohnny" url="/community/t/156090/hollywood-scandals-assorted-skeeve-catch-all/60#post_4271784"]She wrote You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again. Never read it, but it was in the same vein as Hollywood Babylon and Hollywood Animal, but specifically designed to be an orgy of score-settling against all of the major players that Phillips hated. She was a producer on Close Encounters but was fired after her coke-habit became unmanageable and damaging to the film.[/quote]

If someone was on coke while filming Scarface, Apocolypse Now, or even Highlander 2, it would add to the mystique and help explain the film we ended up getting.

Doing coke during Close Encounters is just sad.

I think there might have been drugs involved.

A[quote name="Jmurdoch" url="/community/t/156090/hollywood-scandals-assorted-skeeve-catch-all/50#post_4271807"]
If someone was on coke while filming Scarface, Apocolypse Now, or even Highlander 2[/quote]

If!?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

I think I get you. I understand that some people want the attention that comes with being a celebrity and aren't willing to wait for their big break (or even necessarily cultivate some sort of skill), but it's bizarre that there's a market for them.

If you can make a great living for being famous, without any skills whatsoever, why not lose all dignity as a human being?

It sounds like both the New Yorker and the New York Times are about to drop big, possibly very damaging Harvey Weinstein stories - so much so that Weinstein is trying to prevent said stories from being published.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/harvey...202580605/

Variety is reporting that it sounds like at least one story has on-the-record accusations of sexual harassment.

AExciting!

But what shocker could be revealed that isn't already known about his bullying ways ?
AThe books I've read on indie movies in the '90s made Miramax sound like a supremely toxic work environment.

I know he assaulted martial arts cinema for well over a decade.

I don't log in enough to check this forum much, but have encountered both Weinsteins like 20 years ago when i worked in the same bldg as them.

Harvey would smoke cigs on the elevator ride from 1 to 3 or 4.  And looked like Shrek.

I didn't say anything, but identified him as an enemy thereafter.  Even though I was a cigarette smoker at the time.

And yes, Brad it was noticeably toxic from any distance

You could tell who worked for them pretty easily because they were always frazzled, at best.

AHarvey Weinstein's a piece of shit?!

Whaaaaaaaaaaa...?
AWhen Spielberg said Hollywood was about to implode, who figured he meant it like this?

The NYT piece just dropped:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/ha...tions.html

Headline: "Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein"

EDIT: Brutal article. Lots of on-the-record allegations of a wide variety of incidents. The Weinstein Company is already tottering towards its ruin, but this may be the finishing blow.

AWealth and power puts funny ideas in people's heads. For instance, the idea that anyone would want to watch Harvey Weinstein shower.

It's been said, but... could there be a less surprising scandal than this one?

Weinstein's statement is... not great: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017...stein.html He quotes Jay-Z!

A"I've got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one?"
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

The NYT piece just dropped:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/ha...tions.html

From the article:

Quote:

One woman advised a peer to wear a parka when summoned for duty as a layer of protection against unwelcome advances.

Pretty damn shrewd.

Where's Ambler to comment on this!!

Faraci/League, Whedon, Knowles, now Weinstein.

Christ who is next?