Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayans MC
(09-12-2018, 08:38 PM)schwartz Wrote: Man, they are going straight back to the SOA well, head first.  Second episode and they have already recreated the exact Cartel dynamic, have Chucky working in a garage, and, of course, have everyone chasing a kidnapped baby.

wait wut.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Didn't watch beyond the first episode but I guess Sutter was fired from the show:

https://deadline.com/2019/10/kurt-sutter...202762703/

Quote:This is unfolding in real time. Kurt Sutter has officially exited his involvement in the Sons of Anarchy spinoff Mayans M.C., and for that matter his long tenure at FX. An email by Sutter was sent to the cast of the show that he has been fired from the show. Looks like he continues with his overall deal at 20th Century Fox/Disney, a pact that began with The Shield, and ran through Sons of Anarchy and then Mayans M.C.
If this show gets picked up for a third season (has it already?) I'll be surprised.

I sort of wanted to like it, but it's not very good. It's like a cheap knock-off of SoA....and SoA was getting really crappy at the end.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Come join the murder, Kurt.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(10-17-2019, 02:54 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Didn't watch beyond the first episode but I guess Sutter was fired from the show:

https://deadline.com/2019/10/kurt-sutter...202762703/

Quote:This is unfolding in real time. Kurt Sutter has officially exited his involvement in the Sons of Anarchy spinoff Mayans M.C., and for that matter his long tenure at FX. An email by Sutter was sent to the cast of the show that he has been fired from the show. Looks like he continues with his overall deal at 20th Century Fox/Disney, a pact that began with The Shield, and ran through Sons of Anarchy and then Mayans M.C.

I read an interview a month or 2 ago that he was officially turning it over completely now that it was up and running. I guess that was all cover for what he figured was coming?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
He was only supposed to stay on as a producer beyond this season, with the co-creator taking over all the showrunner duties.

Here's a vague sense of what went down from that article:

Quote:Sutter attributed his sacking to Dana Walden, Chairman, Disney Television Studios and ABC Entertainment; and John Landgraf, Chairman of FX Networks and FX Productions, who had long have been his champions. It reportedly came following an investigation into complaints collected by Disney’s HR and Business Affairs from writers, producers, cast and crew alleging hostile work environment on the show.
Weird that he was this "passionate" about his warmed-up leftovers.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Well there you go.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Here's a link with the letter that Sutter sent to the cast:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/kurt-sutter-fired-fx-being-an-abrasive-dick-1248492?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=referral

Quote:This morning I was fired by Dana Walden and John Landgraf for all the complaints levied against me. Not the way I wanted to end my 18 year relationship with FX. At least being fired for being an abrasive dick is on brand. 
I quit Sons of Anarchy after a handful of episodes.

Someone explain to how and why that show became appealing.

Second season was fire. Cast was always stacked.
For me Overlord, what hooked me into SoA at first was the whole “Hamlet in an outlaw biker club” aspect. For the first two seasons at least, the premise delivered trashy thrills with a fun cast of characters. I thought the cast all had some enjoyable macho camaraderie.

Plus, you had Ron Fucking Perlman as a biker Claudius. Perlman’s one of my favorite actors and he makes most of the things he’s in semi-watchable.

Seasons 3&4 were watchable, but man, after I just got bored of the repetitive storylines, endless classic rock montages and 90 min episodes. Even Perlman says in his autobiography that Sutter needed to be reigned in.
Even as the show careened into dung those last few years I stuck with it mainly because of the soulful aura that permeated from Jimmy Smits.
Thanks for reminding me, Moltisanti but yes, Smits was also solid and held up the show after Perlman left.
Smits is a born pro. An actor's actor. From first grabbing our attention in a few minutes as Sonny Crockett's doomed partner all the way up to now with Bluff City Law* the man has more chops than a butcher.

*I haven't seen Bluff City Law yet but if Smits is on it then that's all I need to know.
Agreed, Smits is real good.

P.S - What a coincidence, Molt. I saw the pilot ep of Miami Vice on Tuesday for the first time.
Such a great pilot. Only negative is Olmos wasn't yet part of the cast. Gregory Sierra is a fine actor but Olmos just put Vice over to another realm.
SOA died after S2. Such a hard fall for a show that was so good
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Sutter also sent a letter to his "inside circle:"

https://deadline.com/2019/10/kurt-sutter...202762937/

Quote:Who I have been hard on this season is the studio and network. I’ve felt the creative scrutiny of Disney from day one. Notes on scripts and cuts have been heavy handed. Demanding a level of dumbing-down story and inane PC restraints like I’ve never experienced before. I genuinely feared for the creative future of the storytelling. So I pushed back.Hard. No different than I have in the past. In fact, much tamer than I ever was on SOA. However, I was dealing with personnel who didn’t know me. And my level of… passion. Clearly I ruffled a few mouse ears.

Quote:People I care about. People I respect. They had no first hand knowledge of anything they were
saying. They’ve never been on set or spoken to any of my people. I’m not saying all of the intel was bullshit. But I know that’s not why I was fired. The truth is, the suits wanted me gone. I stepped on toes and bruised egos. And in this Disney regime, I’m dangerous to the wholesome brand. And clearly not worth the trouble. So 18 years of friendship, loyalty and producing quality television, was flushed down the drain. They threw me under the fucking bus.

I send this diatribe because I feel deeply wronged. They embarrassed me. They created a false narrative that could damage my reputation and career. I want them to understand the depth of that mistake.
You believe him, Molt?
I believe Disney runs things a lot more different than FOX did. Beyond that who knows?
I have to give Sutter props for his work on The Shield but he really bungled SoA. I couldn't fathom how Shawn Ryan shows kept getting canceled while SoA got to be more and more popular.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
Didn't Sutter also write a letter about how 'The Bastard Executioner' was too good and the network just didn't believe in it and fuck them when it was cancelled?

Dude is entirely up his own asshole without a flashlight.
Preview of my next employee evaluation at work: "Abrasive dick. Couldn't find his own asshole with a map and a flashlight."
(10-18-2019, 02:37 AM)Fafhrd Wrote: Didn't Sutter also write a letter about how 'The Bastard Executioner' was too good and the network just didn't believe in it and fuck them when it was cancelled?

Dude is entirely up his own asshole without a flashlight.

Yeah that show was rough.
https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/29/kurt-sutter...mayans-mc/
Quote:As for the Mayans joke, Sutter explained: “Here’s what I did wrong on the studio network side, the reason why I had to go away. It all started with a joke. And not a very good one. There was a line in the season 2 premiere. EZ [JD Pardo] and Coco [Richard Cabral] were getting off the bus at the school where the drugs were being processed. There was supposed to be a really gnarly playground out front. Filled with debris, dangerous looking swings, sharp objects, rusty jungle gym, etc. As they exited, Coco sees EZ’s distracted and says: Lighten up Boy Scout, and gesturing to the playground, says, We’re going to Disneyland. EZ replies: Yeah? Guess this is where Walt [Disney] buried all the Jews he had killed. Coco comments: That’s dark man… And exits.”

Hard to imagine why things didn't work out for Sutter there.
"I overestimated my value and underestimated the unfuckability of the mouse."

Not worried about burning your bridges, Kurt.
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.