Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Throttle Remastered

Eugh...sorry, I still think the upscaling technique looks awful. It just makes it look like early 2000s Flash animation. Those rounded edges are ghastly.

The only way to really redo these games would be to find the original source animation cells and background paintings and scan them in. There isn't really anything you can do to improve a 320x200 resolution 2D game. Blur it, smear it, filter it, you are still just putting a layer of gauze on top of the original.

DOSbox or something is still the way to go, or if you don't want to fiddle with PC stuff, wait until this drops under $10 and play it in Original mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

Eugh...sorry, I still think the upscaling technique looks awful. It just makes it look like early 2000s Flash animation. Those rounded edges are ghastly.

I thought Day of the Tentacle's more cartoony style worked out with the upscaling, but yeah...

I agree with you about Full Throttle.  What once felt rich and detailed at low resolution, ends up looking really cheap when its smoothed out like this.

But like I did with the remastered Day of the Tentacle, I'll just end up watching a commentary-free playthrough of it on Youtube.  I really don't think I'd get much out of playing it again.

A[quote name="Kyle Reese" url="/community/t/156109/full-throttle-remastered#post_4182473"]The only way to really redo these games would be to find the original source animation cells and background paintings and scan them in. There isn't really anything you can do to improve a 320x200 resolution 2D game. Blur it, smear it, filter it, you are still just putting a layer of gauze on top of the original.[/quote]
Yup. It baffles me how many people don't get this, just because they've been conditioned to believe that more pixels = better graphics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

The only way to really redo these games would be to find the original source animation cells and background paintings and scan them in. There isn't really anything you can do to improve a 320x200 resolution 2D game. Blur it, smear it, filter it, you are still just putting a layer of gauze on top of the original.

The scanning process was introduced with Monkey Island 2 but I'm pretty sure The Curse of Monkey Island is the only game whose backgrounds exist completely (at least in black and white) on paper and could be re-scanned in the manner you describe.  The earlier games, even if they sometimes were working off an initial painting that was scanned and then completed digitally, were created primarily on a computer.  Same thing with the animation.

Also, they're not just applying a smoothing filter to the original game to achieve these results.  On DOTT they got some of the old art team to oversee the process of recreating the backgrounds and sprites in hi-def.  You may not care for the result but it was not some hack job.

The value of this remaster is about more than the visuals anyway.  Like DOTT it seems they've gone back to the original tapes to get higher quality samples for the voicework, and for me just getting that and classic mode is worth the money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

The scanning process was introduced with Monkey Island 2 but I'm pretty sure The Curse of Monkey Island is the only game whose backgrounds exist completely (at least in black and white) on paper and could be re-scanned in the manner you describe.  The earlier games, even if they sometimes were working off an initial painting that was scanned and then completed digitally, were created primarily on a computer.  Same thing with the animation.

Also, they're not just applying a smoothing filter to the original game to achieve these results.  On DOTT they got some of the old art team to oversee the process of recreating the backgrounds and sprites in hi-def.  You may not care for the result but it was not some hack job.

The value of this remaster is about more than the visuals anyway.  Like DOTT it seems they've gone back to the original tapes to get higher quality samples for the voicework, and for me just getting that and classic mode is worth the money.

That's good that they are improving the audio. I'm glad the project will exist if it means more people will get to play it for the first time.

About DOTT, I'm not doubting that effort was put into it. I'm sure they did a lot of tweaking around different parts of the sprites and backgrounds. It looks fine at a glance, but for me it falls apart once you start looking at the details and the edges. I personally would've preferred they just redraw everything from scratch if they are going to put money into it, but I guess that would be more of a 'remake' than a 'remaster'.

I guess I don't have to return the CD-ROM I borrowed from a friend of mine in 1995 now. Whew!

Some comparison screenshots.  It seems to me they've repainted or painted over the original art.  The shot of Maureen and tied-up Ben show that - look at Maureen's utility belt and the redone text on Ben's jacket.

The biggest difference, predictably, are the 3D models, which were pretty crude in the original game and seem to have been remade from scratch.  I bet it was hell to figure out how to redo the action scenes, which were handled with Rebel Assault technology back in the day.  My understanding is that the original tech behind that was pretty hacky.  They were really stretching what the SCUMM engine was designed to handle with the arcade sequences.

it must be complete nostalgia, but I miss how much Ben's bike stood out as a 3D element in the original!

AIt does look a bit clean but I think people are being a little over dramatic. It looks exactly like the original game only in high res. You can always switch that off if you don't like it.

oh right, I forgot about that!

AIronically the version of these games I'm nostalgic for are the mac versions, which all had a pixel smoothing effect anyway! A demographic cruelly ignored by these special editions.
AWHO AAAAAARE YOU???

I freely admit it's pure nostalgia talking, but this game's neck and neck with Monkey Island for my favorite point and click of all time, making it one of my favorite games of all time in general. Just the chance to replay it on a modern system makes me fuckin' giddy. Ben's back baby!

AIt's not just nostalgia talking when something actually is really good. I replay a bunch of the old Lucasarts games every few years even though there's no challenge involved at this point. It's just like rewatching good films!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul C View Post

It's not just nostalgia talking when something actually is really good. I replay a bunch of the old Lucasarts games every few years even though there's no challenge involved at this point. It's just like rewatching good films!

That's exactly how I think of them. Monkey Island 1 & 2 get revisited by me just because they're a fun re-watch, like favorite movies. I'm bona-fide super excited to be able to put Full Throttle back on the revisit list.

Athat's why I will watch a playthrough!

like rewatching good movie!

I already have several playthroughs of lucasarts games saved off of YouTube!
AI wonder when they'll get to remastering THE DIG
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I wonder when they'll get to remastering THE DIG

Im kinda amazed that in this day and age, Spielberg hasnt actually made an attempt at making a TV mini series or movie of it.

To be honest I'm not sure The Dig is popular enough at this point to make it worth their while, considering that it was a pretty graphically elaborate game and it'd be a lot of work. Also it's been readily available digitally for years. If they did there would be an absolute goldmine of potential bonus material - the whole game got massively reworked a bunch of times by different designers.

Underrated game I think, even if Spielberg's original vision of it being a Treasure Of The Sierra Madre kind of thing with the crew relationships breaking down did largely seem to manifest itself in Maggie just being vaguely dickish to your character for no obvious reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

Im kinda amazed that in this day and age, Spielberg hasnt actually made an attempt at making a TV mini series or movie of it.

Maybe with Kathleen Kennedy now in charge Lucasfilm will push some live action big budget movies out of Full Throttle or Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island.

Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Maybe with Kathleen Kennedy now in charge Lucasfilm will push some live action big budget movies out of Full Throttle or Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island.

I dont think I would be able to watch a Monkey Island, because the second someone said "They are ripping off Pirates of the Caribbean!" I would strangle that person as a natural response.

Plus, you bet they would cast Michael Cera as Guybrush, and I couldnt live with that.*

*Chris Pratt would nail it, if he's in Andy/Star-Lord mode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Ask her about Loom?

Speaking of LOOM, its creator, Brian Moriarty, gave an amazing post-mortem about the game at last year's GDC.  It's worth making time for.

On topic, Double Fine dropped a handy ten minute Full Throttle Remastered making-of:

A"That game was too short! BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!"

If this sells well, there's a good chance we'll finally get a sequel.

With Roy Conrad dead, do we want one?

If Schafer has another story to tell in that world, yes, of course. Conrad was an important part of the original, but Ben can be recast.

Ano sequels

leave good things alone

There were two attempts at a sequel made after Tim Schafer left LucasArts.  FULL THROTTLE: HELL ON WHEELS was the one that was to be an action/adventure hybrid and actually had screenshots and a trailer.  It didn't look so hot and got cancelled in 2003.

There was an earlier attempt in the late 90s called FULL THROTTLE: PAYBACK that didn't get as far.  But it was going to at least be a graphic adventure and had a promising team comprised of folks behind THE CURSE OF MONKEY ISLAND, including that game's main artists Larry Ahern (also a key artist on the original Throttle) and Bill Tiller.  Which is probably why the concept art looks so awesome:

Of course, if a sequel is going to be made, Tim needs to be at the helm.  Which doesn't mean it should happen.  Ben rode off into the sunset, after all.

https://www.gog.com/news/preorder_full_t...remastered

https://www.gog.com/news/full_throttle_a...rospective

ABARRY!!

I needed your star war etymology knowledge and you weren't there!!!

I aint pre-ordered a game in years. This is my exception. The smell of asphalt.