Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The All-Encompassing World News Thread
More US diplomats are the victims of a sound based illness, just like in Cuba. What is going on?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/two-diplom...s?ref=home
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
Pontypool.
Trump would never survive A Quiet Place.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Saudi Arabia is taking a page out of the Lex Luthor playbook, wants to turn Qatar into an island.
premature finger pointing?

Amesbury: Two collapse near Russian spy poisoning site
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson
Israeli private intelligence firm Black Cube was involved in a campaign to discredit NGOs ahead of Hungary’s April 2018 election:

https://www.politico.eu/article/viktor-o...rge-soros/

Quote:The Israeli private intelligence firm Black Cube was involved in a campaign to discredit NGOs ahead of Hungary’s April election, according to a former Black Cube employee and a person with knowledge of the company’s inner workings.

Between December 2017 and March 2018, Hungarian NGOs and individuals connected to American-Hungarian businessman George Soros were contacted by agents using false identities who secretly recorded them. The recordings, which began appearing in the Jerusalem Post and Hungarian government-controlled daily paper Magyar Idők three weeks before Hungary’s election, were used by Prime Minister Viktor Orbán to attack independent civil society organizations during the last days of the campaign. Orbán’s right-wing Fidesz party went on to win in a landslide.

Black Cube is a Tel Aviv-based firm that has been implicated in scandals in the United States and Europe. The Hungarian campaign would represent the first time Black Cube’s work has been allegedly used in the run-up to an election.

“It is Black Cube’s policy to never discuss its clients with any third party, and to never confirm or deny any speculation made with regard to the company’s work,” a spokesperson for Black Cube told POLITICO. “It is important to note that Black Cube always operates in full compliance of the law in every jurisdiction in which it conducts its work, following legal advice from the world’s leading law firms.”
Dawn Sturgess, who was exposed to Novichok, has died:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44760875?ns_...ce=twitter

Quote:Dawn Sturgess, 44, died in hospital on Sunday evening after falling critically ill on 30 June.

Charlie Rowley, 45, who was also exposed to the nerve agent in Amesbury, remains critically ill in hospital.

Theresa May said she was "appalled and shocked" by the death, which comes after the poisoning of Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury.

A post-mortem examination of Ms Sturgess, from Durrington, is due to take place and her family has been informed, police said.

The investigation is being led by detectives from the Counter-Terrorism Policing Network and about 100 detectives are working on the case alongside Wiltshire Police.
A torrential downpour in Japan has caused massive flooding and landslides, killing approximately 100 people:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/natio...story.html

Quote:The death toll reached 100 in Japan on Monday after torrential rains triggered flooding and landslides, authorities said.

Search and rescue operations intensified in disaster-stricken western Japan, with dozens still unaccounted for since heavy rains began on Thursday.

Seven people were found dead Monday morning in submerged residential areas in the western city of Kurashiki, Kyodo News reported.

The city has become one of the hardest-hit areas, with more than 1,000 people temporarily trapped, including some on the roofs of buildings inundated by floods following the bursting of three dikes on a nearby river, Kyodo said.
The 12 boys and their coach who were trapped in a Thai cave system for 18 days have all been rescued.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/live/20...ve-updates
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
Cool. That was a story I thought would only end badly, even after they found them. Glad to be proved wrong.

That coach is going straight to jail though.
Don't count on it. The parents have apparently publicly absolved him of blame and my impression is that the caves are viewed as "safe" by the locals during the dry season, and even a lot of tourists seek them out and hike them without expert/official guidance or assistance. Everything I've read seems to indicate that the locals of the region have lost some healthy fear of caves due to proximity and familiarity.

I'm incredibly glad everyone was rescued. This was not the kids' fault. It remains, however, a series of monumentally stupid decisions. Not only were they a bare week from the "official" start of the rainy season (and hey, spoiler alert, the weather doesn't read the fucking calendar), but they took no footware, no backpacks, no food, and only one working flashlight with them. Again, the kids can't be blamed - they're kids. The one adult who ultimately made these choices, though - choices which directly led to the death of one rescuer - I don't know if he should face legal consequences but in no uncertain terms he made some incredibly dumb fucking decisions.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Phone lines between Ethiopia and Eritrea are open 20 years after war:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/10/africa/et...%3A11%3A04

Quote:Frehiwot Negash picked up the phone and called a random number. 

The Ethiopian finance manager was trying to test if indeed she could now place a call to Eritrea after 20 long years of being cut off from the neighboring country in the aftermath of a bloody border war. 

The person on the other line answered. It was a hotel.

Negash, 33, told CNN: "The receptionist picked up. So I said 'I'm calling from Ethiopia.' Then I passed the congratulations message to her, and I told her that I am very happy and she also said 'I am happy too."

Negash says she now plans to visit Eritrea later this year. 

After it was announced on Monday that phone lines would be restored between both countries, Ethiopia's telecoms company, Ethios, sent text messages to its 57 million subscribers, saying they could now call Eritrea. 
(07-10-2018, 08:08 AM)flint Wrote: Cool. That was a story I thought would only end badly, even after they found them. Glad to be proved wrong.

That coach is going straight to jail though.

(07-10-2018, 09:33 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Don't count on it. The parents have apparently publicly absolved him of blame and my impression is that the caves are viewed as "safe" by the locals during the dry season, and even a lot of tourists seek them out and hike them without expert/official guidance or assistance. Everything I've read seems to indicate that the locals of the region have lost some healthy fear of caves due to proximity and familiarity.

I'm incredibly glad everyone was rescued. This was not the kids' fault. It remains, however, a series of monumentally stupid decisions. Not only were they a bare week from the "official" start of the rainy season (and hey, spoiler alert, the weather doesn't read the fucking calendar), but they took no footware, no backpacks, no food, and only one working flashlight with them. Again, the kids can't be blamed - they're kids. The one adult who ultimately made these choices, though - choices which directly led to the death of one rescuer - I don't know if he should face legal consequences but in no uncertain terms he made some incredibly dumb fucking decisions.

Sorry, but this is simply not true.

Ekkapapol Channawang did NOT lead the kids into the caves. It wasn't his idea to go there. The boys went of their own volition on their bikes to celebrate a birthday. When the kids didn't return and the parents started to worry he went out their to look for them. Finding them before the big flooding started.

The guy was a big reason for keeping the kids calm and probably did a lot to ensure they were alive long enough to be found. Even giving them some of his own rations.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
(07-11-2018, 02:58 AM)Codename Wrote: Sorry, but this is simply not true.

Ekkapapol Channawang did NOT lead the kids into the caves. It wasn't his idea to go there. The boys went of their own volition on their bikes to celebrate a birthday. When the kids didn't return and the parents started to worry he went out their to look for them. Finding them before the big flooding started.

The guy was a big reason for keeping the kids calm and probably did a lot to ensure they were alive long enough to be found. Even giving them some of his own rations.

I hadn't read this anywhere, and I did a LOT of looking for any story covering why the kids were in the cave in the first place. The stories I read barely covered it but seemed to unanimously say that the soccer team had just finished the season, were celebrating, and decided to go into the cave since it was nearby.

Can you share a source? I am not being snarky, I just couldn't find any news story that gave proper coverage as to how/why the kids were in the cave in the first place.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/world/t...b88889337z

Quote:They were a motley mob — hill tribe lads, Shan, Lahu and Lua, plus a couple of Lanna Thai (boys from the north) — on a boys’ own adventure. But their little journey of exploration was badly timed. A torrential downpour, hardly surprising at this time of year — rudu fon (rainy season) — has left them in a dire predicament.

Family members raised the alarm later that day. Where were they?

Their parents’ concern drove their coach 25-year-old Ekapol Jantawong, a stateless orphan who shared their love of football, to the cave. Near the entrance, he found their bikes, a discovery that meant he had to go deep inside to try to locate them and bring them back.
THANK YOU!

Man, that story gave crucial information I've seen omitted, changed, or only barely elided to in every other story or news report.

It makes me wonder, though, why I've read reports that parents didn't blame the coach. Why would the subject of blame come up at all if he had nothing to do with the kids choosing to go into the caves?

Take a look at this ABC news story which completely contradicts the one you linked to:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/rea...d=56423185

Quote:Ekapol and the boys, ages 11 to 16, have been trapped inside Tham Luang Nang Non, Thailand’s longest cave, since June 23. It’s believed the coach often took the Wild Boar teammates to the cave in Khun Nam Nang Non Forest Park for fun excursions after soccer practice.

Your story is the only one I've seen talk about it as a boys' lark with no adult participation in the initial decision. Doesn't mean your story is wrong, of course; we've seen examples of mainstream outlets propagating false news before based on what the earliest reports or summaries said.

The subject probably comes up since so many social media reactions have resorted to blaming him.

Whatever the truth, the fact is that the Coach used meditation to keep the boys calm and shared his own rations with them which was probably vital to keeping them alive in the first place. A bunch of panicking kids could have easily wandered off and drowned in those 18 days.
I'm glad the coach was able to keep them calm and alive. Substantial victories, both.

But it begs the question, a bit, at his role/why they were there.

Three more links, with some quotes below:

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/thai-...291d9892bf

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/985...up-in-cave

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-...story.html

The first story, from an Australian pub, clearly says this was something initiated by the coach:

Quote:Initially a way for the assistant coach to learn to manage the young soccer players on his own, and a kind of team-building exercise for the Wild Boars, the seemingly innocent excursion quickly took a turn that’s since captivated the world for two weeks.

What started as a “rite of passage” for the 12 Thai schoolboys, aged between 11 and 16, was then described as a situation “worse than any horror movie you could imagine”.

The adventure — one taken by several boys many times before — was said to be crucial to the team’s training because they spend as many as 20 hours a week together.

The difference this time was the time of year — and the coming weather.

Many had never dared venture into the notorious Tham Luang cave system — Thailand’s longest with a series of tunnels, slippery rocks and cliffs with stark drop-offs shrouded in darkness — during the country’s wet season.

The large warning sign at the start should have been an indicator — it tells how the caves can rapidly flood during monsoon season.

While some locals and young boys say they are warned to stay away from the infamous and “off-limits” system at this time of year, others say they’d already gone several times and are always well prepared for their journey.

The young coach, Ekkapol “Aek” Chanthawong, was said to be keeping the boys on a strict training schedule and that often included biking across the hills that surround Mae Sai from their soccer field nestled by the mountain range.

Nopparat Kathawong, the 37-year-old head coach of the Wild Boars, told The Washington Post he didn’t know where Ekkapol would be taking the team but he trusted them.

All he asked was that he take some of boys from the older team for extra eyes and for Ekkapol to ride his bike behind them to “keep a lookout”.

On June 23, the group set out on their mission — a 45-minute bike ride from their school to the cave — without him because Nopparat had an appointment.

Second link is more vague and even possibly contradictory to the "planned, adult-initiated" version above:

Quote:The group became trapped on June 23 when they started exploring the caves after going on a picnic following football practice.

Third story is almost as vague but again clearly indicates the coach was part of the expedition from the beginning:

Quote:After soccer practice, the boys and their coach explore the nearby Tham Luang Nang Non caves in Chiang Rai, near the Myanmar border. The lush forests of northern Thailand are home to hundreds of caves that attract visitors, but Tham Luang Nang Non is deeper and more dangerous than most, and especially treacherous during the rainy season.

Again, the story you linked previously may be right; we could be seeing one news outlet simply parrot an initial report or guess. But that first link seems very specific about the reasons they went in, and the story's dated just yesterday.

My views on the coach's efforts to keep them alive and calm are going to change quite a bit depending on his culpability/role.

It's likely healthy to not know all the neo-Nazi figures creeping about, so I can't so I know much about Lauren Southern.  She's a Canadian alt-right figure currently in Australia while News Corp defends the visit:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne...disturbing

Quote:Lauren Southern’s signal talent is getting attention. The Canadian far right celebrity’s Australian visa dramas last week – wholly administrative in origin – were spun by her and her fans for a day or so as yet another attack on her freedom of speech.

A temporary setback was repurposed as precious publicity, and News Corp papers continued to unfurl the red carpet ahead of her visit. 

Her speaking engagements with rightwing YouTuber Stefan Molyneux will go ahead, as will the top-dollar dinner engagements with those willing to shell out $750. But if the notion that she might be prevented from entering Australia was credible, it’s because because Southern has been banned from entering a country before. 

In the judgement of immigration authorities in the UK, Southern’s “alt-right” provocations are not “conducive to the public good”, and accordingly she was denied entry there last March. By her own account, immigration authorities investigated her under “schedule 7 (terrorism act) because of alleged racism”. 

Part of the reason appears to be a Southern stunt the previous month, in the town of Luton. There, she attempted to prove a convoluted point by handing out leaflets reading, among other things, “Allah is gay”. She did this “social experiment” in the company of fellow far right social media star, Brittany Pettibone, and her boyfriend, Martin Sellner, who is a leading figure in the European far right group, Generation Identity.

Southern says she chose Luton because it is the home of Tommy Robinson, the currently imprisoned founder of the English Defence League. In May, Robinson was sentenced to 13 months in prison for contempt of court after broadcasting details of a trial from outside Leeds crown court that risked causing it to collapse. 

Like Southern, Robinson has been an outspoken voice in anti-Islamic politics. His prominence in the UK has more recently translated to international fame on the far right. Southern and touring buddy Molyneux have made videos separately and together in support of both Robinson, and the #freetommy movement. This cause was the inspiration for a riotous far right protest in London last month. 

And:

Quote:Southern’s far-right associations, her promotion of the key ideas of white ethnonationalism, and her willingness to become directly involved in racial provocation should give us pause. 

So, too, should the willingness of News Corporation’s daily newspapers to promote her. 

Perhaps it’s no surprise that Andrew Bolt railed about her visa problems. Nor that Miranda Devine had Southern on her podcast to talk about how antifa and Muslims cause her immigration woes. 

But earlier puff pieces about her visit, and op-eds defending her in regional newspapers, suggest that News has a disturbing inability to distinguish between ordinary, conservative provocateurs, and those adjacent to white nationalist or fascist movements. 

This fits with a pattern on the Australian right. Nevertheless, should News later condemn those who protest against Southern’s appearances, we should remember their role in defending Southern, and advertising her shows. 
A Jewish registry in Austria to buy kosher meat?  Um, not a good idea.

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europ...-1.6289229

Quote:A regional politician in Austria defended a plan to limit access to kosher meat, conditioning its sale on permits that would be individually issued to observant Jews. 

The Wiener Zeitung daily reported Tuesday about the draft decree in the state of Lower Austria, one of nine states that make up the federal Republic of Austria. Gottfried Waldhäusl, the cabinet minister in the state government of Lower Austria who is in charge of animal welfare and several other portfolios, defended the plan as necessary “from an animal welfare point of view.” 

Oskar Deutsch, the president of the Jewish Community in Vienna, warned that, in practice, the plan would require compiling a list of Jews, which he called “like a negative Aryan clause,” referencing racist laws passed by Nazi Germany and implemented in Austria after its merger with Germany in 1938. 

The American Jewish Committee’s Berlin office also referenced Nazi decrees in opposing the plan. “Soon with a star on the chest?” a spokesperson for the group wrote on its official Twitter account. “This is an attack on Jewish and Muslim life! #Anti-Semitism.” 
Portugal rejected austerity, and it did wonders for the economy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/22/busin...erity.html

Quote:Ramón Rivera had barely gotten his olive oil business started in the sun-swept Alentejo region of Portugal when Europe’s debt crisis struck. The economy crumbled, wages were cut, and unemployment doubled. The government in Lisbon had to accept a humiliating international bailout.

But as the misery deepened, Portugal took a daring stand: In 2015, it cast aside the harshest austerity measures its European creditors had imposed, igniting a virtuous cycle that put its economy back on a path to growth. The country reversed cuts to wages, pensions and social security, and offered incentives to businesses.

The government’s U-turn, and willingness to spend, had a powerful effect. Creditors railed against the move, but the gloom that had gripped the nation through years of belt-tightening began to lift. Business confidence rebounded. Production and exports began to take off — including at Mr. Rivera’s olive groves.

“We had faith that Portugal would come out of the crisis,” said Mr. Rivera, the general manager of Elaia. The company focused on state-of-the-art harvesting technology, and it is now one of Portugal’s biggest olive oil producers. “We saw that this was the best place in the world to invest.”

At a time of mounting uncertainty in Europe, Portugal has defied critics who have insisted on austerity as the answer to the Continent’s economic and financial crisis. While countries from Greece to Ireland — and for a stretch, Portugal itself — toed the line, Lisbon resisted, helping to stoke a revival that drove economic growth last year to its highest level in a decade.

The renewal is visible just about everywhere. Hotels, restaurants and shops have opened in droves, fueled by a tourism surge that has helped cut unemployment in half. In the Beato district of Lisbon, a mega-campus for start-ups rises from the rubble of a derelict military factory. Bosch, Google and Mercedes-Benz recently opened offices and digital research centers here, collectively employing thousands.

Foreign investment in aerospace, construction and other sectors is at a record high. And traditional Portuguese industries, including textiles and paper mills, are putting money into innovation, driving a boom in exports.

“What happened in Portugal shows that too much austerity deepens a recession, and creates a vicious circle,” Prime Minister António Costa said in an interview. “We devised an alternative to austerity, focusing on higher growth, and more and better jobs.”

Voters ushered Mr. Costa, a center-left leader, into power in late 2015 after he promised to reverse cuts to their income, which the previous government had approved to reduce Portugal’s high deficit under the terms of an international bailout of 78 billion euros, or $90 billion. Mr. Costa formed an unusual alliance with Communist and radical-left parties, which had been shut out of power since the end of Portugal’s dictatorship in 1974. They united with the goal of beating back some of the toughest aspects of austerity, while balancing the books to meet eurozone rules.

The government raised public sector salaries, the minimum wage and pensions and even restored the amount of vacation days to prebailout levels over objections from creditors like Germany and the International Monetary Fund. Incentives to stimulate business included development subsidies, tax credits and funding for small and midsize companies.

Mr. Costa made up for the givebacks with cuts in infrastructure and other spending, whittling the annual budget deficit to less than 1 percent of its gross domestic product, compared with 4.4 percent when he took office. The government is on track to achieve a surplus by 2020, a year ahead of schedule, ending a quarter-century of deficits.

European officials are now admitting that Portugal may have found a better response to the crisis. Recently, they rewarded Lisbon by elevating the country’s finance minister, Mário Centeno, who helped engineer the changes, to president of the Eurogroup, the influential collective of eurozone finance ministers.
Far-right Jair Bolsonaro has a good chance of winning the presidency in Brazil:

https://www.axios.com/bolsonaro-declares...490ce.html

Quote:With poll-topping former president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva in prison on corruption charges, Bolsonaro has become the front-runner.

The former army captain has spoken favorably about military rule, and holds deeply conservative positions on social issues. He also wants to relax gun laws as part of his tough-on-crime approach.

Roberta Braga of the Atlantic Council says Bolsonaro was known to most Brazilians, until fairly recently, primarily for making provocative and racist remarks. "Five years ago it would have been unthinkable for someone like him to be in the position he is now," she says.

A country of 200 million with the world's 9th largest economy, Brazil is currently "projecting itself as outward-looking, open to trade, pro-democracy," Braga notes. That could change if Bolsonaro is elected.
Horrible news from Greece. At least 80 dead, and many missing. 26 people, including whole families, were found burned to death less than 100 feet from the beach. The fire overtook them. Many were embracing each other.

And it gets worse. Looters may have started the fire intentionally, to rade empty properties. Fucking scum.
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
Not everyone likes Twitter threads, but this one from reporter Terrell J. Starr on being black in Ukraine is really fascinating:

https://twitter.com/Russian_Starr/status...2252947456
A German court has sentenced a couple for selling their son on the dark net to pedophiles:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-...c_breaking
Turkey's currency has fallen to its lowest level since 2001 after Trump tweeted an announcement about more tariffs:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/turke...18173.html

Quote:Turkey's currency plunged to fresh all-time lows against the dollar Friday after President Donald Trump announced in a tweet that he would double tariffs on Turkish aluminum to 20% and on Turkish steel to 50%. 

"I have just authorized a doubling of Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum with respect to Turkey as their currency, the Turkish Lira, slides rapidly downward against our very strong Dollar!" the president wrote on Twitter. "Our relations with Turkey are not good at this time!"

The lira dropped as much as 20% against the dollar, its steepest daily drop since at least 2001. It was already one of the worst-performing currencies this year, but a deepening rift between Ankara and Washington has accelerated the sell-off. 

A Turkish delegation returned from a meeting with Trump administration officials in Washington on Thursday with no apparent progress on a conflict over an American pastor who has been detained in Turkey for nearly two years.

Earlier this month, the Trump administration announced sanctions against Turkey for failing to release Andrew Brunson, a 50-year-old evangelical pastor who was arrested in 2016 on suspicion of aiding a failed military coup, claims the pastor denies. The sanctions target Turkey's minister of justice and minister of the interior, whom the White House said played leading roles in the arrest and detention of Brunson.
What are all those paranoid silicon valley libertarian billionaires gonna do now?

New Zealand bans sales of homes to foreigners
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson
One study shows that Facebook fueled anti-refugee attacks in Germany:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/world...rmany.html

Quote:When you ask locals why Dirk Denkhaus, a young firefighter trainee who had been considered neither dangerous nor political, broke into the attic of a refugee group house and tried to set it on fire, they will list the familiar issues.

This small riverside town is shrinking and its economy declining, they say, leaving young people bored and disillusioned. Though most here supported the mayor’s decision to accept an extra allotment of refugees, some found the influx disorienting. Fringe politics are on the rise.

But they’ll often mention another factor not typically associated with Germany’s spate of anti-refugee violence: Facebook.

Everyone here has seen Facebook rumors portraying refugees as a threat. They’ve encountered racist vitriol on local pages, a jarring contrast with Altena’s public spaces, where people wave warmly to refugee families.

Many here suspected — and prosecutors would later argue, based on data seized from his phone — that Mr. Denkhaus had isolated himself in an online world of fear and anger that helped lead him to violence.

This may be more than speculation. Little Altena exemplifies a phenomenon long suspected by researchers who study Facebook: that the platform makes communities more prone to racial violence. And, now, the town is one of 3,000-plus data points in a landmark study that claims to prove it.

Karsten Müller and Carlo Schwarz, researchers at the University of Warwick, scrutinized every anti-refugee attack in Germany, 3,335 in all, over a two-year span. In each, they analyzed the local community by any variable that seemed relevant. Wealth. Demographics. Support for far-right politics. Newspaper sales. Number of refugees. History of hate crime. Number of protests.

One thing stuck out. Towns where Facebook use was higher than average, like Altena, reliably experienced more attacks on refugees. That held true in virtually any sort of community — big city or small town; affluent or struggling; liberal haven or far-right stronghold — suggesting that the link applies universally.

Their reams of data converged on a breathtaking statistic: Wherever per-person Facebook use rose to one standard deviation above the national average, attacks on refugees increased by about 50 percent.
Raze it to the ground.
(07-23-2018, 12:21 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Portugal rejected austerity, and it did wonders for the economy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/22/busin...erity.html

btw This is essentially the economics of Mark Blyth, who I mentioned in the other thread, put into action.

In other news, fueled by a fervor of resurgent conservatism in the world, the ultra right block of Australia's governing party have used emissions targets as a wedge issue to force a leadership vote. (against our own J.Edgar Hoover-by-way-of-Mussolini Peter Dutton)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-20/ma...d/10139208

That then led to an open vote which elevated the treasurer Scott Morrison...somehow.
(here's an article with a bunch of names you won't know, but picture something out of The Thick of It)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-23/li...e/10155746

Scott Morrison, by the way, once banged a lump of coal on the table in the House.

Yes folks, Australia has been seized by climate change ignoring, pro Trump vandals.
(well, they've been running spoil over everything for a while now, but they've now made it official)
Prime Minister Viktor Orban of Hungary is strongly anti-immigration, and a new surtax to thwart it is forcing Central European University (founded by George Soros) to suspend education programs for refugees and asylum seekers:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wir...x-57451574

Quote:Hungary's Central European University says it has been forced to suspend education programs for refugees and asylum seekers due to a new "immigration surtax" that took effect last week.

The Budapest-based university, founded by Hungarian-American billionaire George Soros, said Tuesday that the decision came due to uncertainty over how it would be legally and financially affected by the 25 percent levy imposed by the government on activities that it says assist immigration.

Some 55 refugees or asylum seekers were to take part in the CEU programs, launched in 2016.

The surtax, part of Prime Minister Viktor Orban's strong anti-immigration policy, affects "all programs, actions and activities which directly or indirectly aim to promote immigration," including networking, media campaigns, education activities and activities "showing immigration in a positive light."
The two-day, neo-Nazi rally in Germany recently had lots of bullshit propaganda attached to it, unsurprisingly:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/german-neo...c-violence

Quote:German neo-Nazis are using pictures of American and British domestic abuse to falsely accuse immigrants of attacking white women.

At a violent, two-day anti-immigrant rally in Chemnitz, Germany last weekend, fascists threw Nazis salutes next to a banner showing the faces of abused women. The pictures are part of a growing meme purporting to show German women who have been beaten by immigrants. But the pictures in the collage are either of uncertain origin, or of women from other countries (often the U.S. and the U.K.), many of whom have been beaten by their partners, police, or in the case of one English woman, by a Scottish man who opposed English immigrants.

Mimikama, an Austrian fact-checking site, has tracked the meme’s rise since last year. The original image purported to show German women who had been raped or beaten, and was usually accompanied by text blaming the attacks on Muslim immigrants and in some cases accusing the “Fake News” of refusing to report on the attacks. From the meme’s outset, Mimikama reported that everyone in the image was either from other countries, or was of uncertain nationality, as was the case of one bloodied woman whose picture actually came from a special effects makeup website.
Quite an expose.
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cul...el-717563/
Italy could be changing its divorce laws shortly:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/201...ebff1e55ae

Quote:Italy’s government is pushing draft legislation that would revolutionize the country’s divorce laws, abolishing child support and taking custody away from parents who bad-mouth their exes or try to otherwise harm their relationships with their children.

The idea behind the bill, which is supported by Italy’s governing coalition and has a good chance of becoming law, is to enforce what it describes as “perfect co-parenting.” Children of divorced couples would spend the exact same amount of time living with each parent — young children currently tend to live with their mothers — and each parent would pay for the children’s needs when taking care of them. If one parent were unable to pay, the wealthier parent would pay for those needs directly rather than writing a check to his or her ex-spouse.

The bill’s supporters contend that this would make child support obsolete, but the left-leaning opposition and women’s groups fear that the bill would harm women.

Nadia Somma, a representative of Demetra, an anti-domestic-violence center in Turin, wrote for the newspaper Il Fatto Quotidiano that the proposed law would “turn back the clock 50 years on women’s rights.” Sen. Valeria Valente of the center-left Democratic Party said it would make “life impossible for mothers." 

In Italy’s conservative society, less than 50 percent of women work outside of the home, and most of the burden of child-rearing falls upon mothers. Because women with children struggle to find stable employment, critics argue that the abolition of child support would raise the poverty rate among divorced mothers and could make them unable to provide for their children. Critics fear that the bill could encourage women to stay in abusive marriages rather than opting for a divorce with no child support.
Um, turns out that maybe sub-sub-subcontracting all your very most crucial information infrastructure shit to a giant evil empire with a highly advanced hacking industry isn't such a good idea after all.

(TL;DR: a company that actually makes the motherboards for the company that makes the motherboards for the servers that like goddamn near everybody uses in their data centers that they rent out to their clients who store lots of fun sensitive information on them started sneaking a tiny little chip into them that makes the computer go all fuzzy when someone suggests it clear its head with a nice game of solitaire and then it wakes up five minutes later wondering where its pants are and whose blood is smeared down the side of its face.)

Are you shocked? I'm shocked.