Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Sheen Quits Acting For Activism

Thought this was quite interesting:

Quote:

Michael Sheen is so disturbed by the rise of far-right populism he is quitting acting to become an activist, and says he does not know if his relationship with Sarah Silverman will survive. 

Sheen will leave Silverman, his partner of two years, and family in Los Angeles and move to Port Talbot in south Wales to combat the wave of “demagogic, fascistic” politics he believes has engulfed the West in the past decade.

He told The Times: “In the same way as the Nazis had to be stopped in Germany in the Thirties, this thing that is on the rise has to be stopped. 

“It’s not going to look like this in 10 years’ time. Everything has shifted. The dice are being rolled again.”

His steel-making hometown, population 37,000, voted for Brexit and the Welsh actor says his frustration at this has formed, in part, the impetus for his decision to begin his activism back where he began. His fears were exacerbated by the ascension of Donald Trump and the tensions stoked by his divisive rhetoric.  

Sheen has become increasingly politically and socially active since coordinating the 2011 play The Passion in Port Talbot with hundreds of local people. He works with the children's charity Unicef and has spent months travelling through Britain and Spain looking at community projects he could emulate in his hometown. “The greatest service you can do is to serve the whole, is to serve the story that you’re a part of,” he added. “The story is bigger than any one individual within it.” 

In 2015, he gave a blistering, urgent speech about the dismantling of the NHS, the ineffectiveness of modern MPs, who he lambasted for being too “careful, tentative, scared of saying what they feel for fear of alienating a part of the electorate”, and the importance of conviction. Sheen said the overwhelming reaction to his speech, delivered at a rally in south Wales in the pouring rain, made him realise he could rouse support. 

He first posited moving back to the UK in an interview with The Telegraph in March. At the time, Sheen presented his plans as “a new chapter” which would also see him move into directing. 

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's good to see an actor put everything aside because they want to make a positive difference to the world. On the other; I'm sad to see him go (especailly if Passengers is his final appearance) as I've always been a fan of his work.

AWhat about his kids? They should be his first priority.

And can we stop talking about the Nazis in the same breath as Trump? I loathe him but he's not a fascist, much less a Nazi. He's not going to start invading countries.

Basically I think Sheen is overreacting a tad. I voted remain too, but he sounds hysterical.
AGood for him. He's been publicly getting more and more into political causes.

I didn't even know he was with Silverman!

He is.  They met on Masters of Sex, which was just cancelled.  Which puts an interesting spin on this whole thing, since he was heavily invested in that.  Kinda feels partially like an "I'm taking my toys and going home" thing.  That said, good for him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

What about his kids? They should be his first priority.

It could be argued that he is doing this FOR his children.

Quote:

And can we stop talking about the Nazis in the same breath as Trump? I loathe him but he's not a fascist, much less a Nazi.

Trump has and has surrounded himself with, people that most definitely have authoritarian/fascistic/kleptocratic tendencies....which is all exacerbated by his willful ignorance.

He's a danger to society because of this ignorance/incompetence.

Quote:

He's (Trump) not going to start invading countries.

....at least not until someone/group attacks one of his hotels.

ASarah, I have a job...
Will he practice activism under his stage name or go back to Estevez?
A[quote name="Bluelouboyle" url="/community/t/156163/michael-sheen-quits-acting-for-activism#post_4191890"]What about his kids? They should be his first priority.

And can we stop talking about the Nazis in the same breath as Trump? I loathe him but he's not a fascist, much less a Nazi. He's not going to start invading countries.

Basically I think Sheen is overreacting a tad. I voted remain too, but he sounds hysterical.[/quote]

I see where you are coming from, but it is true that we're seeing a very sharp shift to the right in the UK the likes of which we haven't seen since Thatcher. This is going hand in hand with an exceptionalism, nationalism and populism which we didn't see so much of in the 70s, or at least not as sharply defined as it is now, or at least not as fired up and popular as it is now. He, rightly, sees pluralism under threat from the nationalists, and post-war social democracy under threat from the more libertarian Tories. He's not wrong in seeing that as a threat, and if he happens to exaggerate it a little in the heat of passion, good. We need some passionate voices standing up for the support structures those of us that don't need them regularly undervalue immensely.

Not as cool as quitting acting for hacktivism.

Not so fast, guys.

Well, that's a pretty large backward step.

Ahahaha oh no
AMurdoch newspaper in interview misrepresentation shocker.

I hope Sheen and Silverman stay together, if only for more inspiration messages like this one:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SarahKSilverm...3907385344

I don't get it. Are they breaking up or was that me not getting a joke she was making? (I'm only vaguely familiar with her as a comedian).

She was joking (as was I). Her humor often involves making fun of self-absorbed lack of awareness in people, saying stupid shit "in character." That clip was recorded back in July. I think she was just making fun of celebs who tweet dumb ass offensive things without thinking for a moment about how it will sound. That's why her "aaaand SEND" cracks me up each time.

So will he go from playing Tony Blair to ....being Tony Blair?!?