Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Tales from the Crypt episodes anyone?

My top 25:

1. What's Cooking.

2. The Ventriloquist Dummy.

3. And all through the House.

4. Strung Along.

5. Cutting Cards.

6. Undertaking Parlor.

7. Fitting Punishment.

8. Lower Berth.

9. Dig that Cat...he is Gone.

10. Split personality.

11. You Murderer.

12. House of Horrors.

13. Doctor of Horror.

14. Television Terror.

15. Korman's Kalamity.

16. Well Cooked Hams.

17. Top Billing.

18. Abra Cadaver.

19. None but the lonely Heart.

20. The Trap.

21. Carrion Death.

22. The Third Pig.

23. Food for Thought.

24. Easel Kill Ya.

25. The Thing from the Grave.

I've actually been rewatching the show from the start these past few months, only a couple more episodes left in the last season. I missed a lot of episodes when it originally aired and it's been a delight to witness all this talent both in front of and behind the camera. Lots and lots of familiar names and faces. I've read some of those EC comics and many stories were drastically altered for TV, I could barely recognize some of them. Not a bad thing really, just interesting how much some were changed.

Too bad they never adapted the story about that giant octopus that wore a trench coat and a hat so it could go around the town killing people. That story was a hoot.

Two memorable ones that I watched recently were the one where Brad Pitt plays a street racer with homicidal tendencies and the one where Michael Ironside and some other guy go bear hunting but stumble upon a vampire nest.

Over the years I somehow forgot that this show was R-rated stuff with plenty of tits and violence and curse-words, I really had a blast with this rewatch. Great show.

Walter Hill's episodes are the best, particularly "Cutting Cards" (which includes a pair of brilliant performances from Lance Henriksen and Kevin Tighe). Hill was arguably the only director who understood the tone of the original EC comic books.

Zemeckis's "And All Through the House" is a perfect example of a director not getting the tone.

I actually prefer the 1970s Amicus films (TALES FROM THE CRYPT and VAULT OF HORROR) to the television show. Although the films were a little contrived, they were also creepy and fun. I rarely found the television show to be creepy or fun -- it was simply mean-spirited.

Wow that's pretty interesting because I disagree with all of this. I actually think that Cutting Cards is one of the only episodes that was mean-spirited, otherwise I found the show mostly creepy and fun. Much closer to the spirit of the comics than the Amicus films which were also great.

Can't really remember any specifics about Zemeckis' episode but generally I felt that the tone was relatively constant through the show and very much in tune with the comics. Admittedly I've watched so many of them recently that they sort of start to blend together. Even more so because most of them had the same plot more or less.

Well, "Cutting Cards" is something of an oddity in the series, basically an extended sick joke. But I think Hill was more successful capturing the tone of it than Zemeckis on "And All Through the House," which is meant to be suspenseful and atmospheric but is directed and acted in such a campy, OTT manner that it becomes annoying. Freddie Francis's "And All Through the House" (from the 1972 film) is far superior, I think.

I only casually watched this show as a teenager and only two episodes every really stuck with me.

The first episode was the one with Kyle MacLachlan's character handcuffed to the dead sheriff in the desert. An internet search tells me it was called Carrion Death.

The second episode, which I had no idea was a TftC episode until the end, was the one with Zach Galligan, which absolutely traumatized me for a long period of time.  It had to do with Galligan's character being an apprentice of a puppeteer.  I had a crippling fear of clowns when I was a kid and couple that with the creepiest form of puppets, marionettes, caused me to not sleep for weeks.  It was only as an adult that I was able to bring myself to watch that episode again.  I was convinced I dreamnt it when I first saw it.

I see it's included on Egon's list at #4.

That Freddie Francis episode is good, for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malmordo View Post

Walter Hill's episodes are the best, particularly "Cutting Cards" (which includes a pair of brilliant performances from Lance Henriksen and Kevin Tighe). Hill was arguably the only director who understood the tone of the original EC comic books.

Zemeckis's "And All Through the House" is a perfect example of a director not getting the tone.

I actually prefer the 1970s Amicus films (TALES FROM THE CRYPT and VAULT OF HORROR) to the television show. Although the films were a little contrived, they were also creepy and fun. I rarely found the television show to be creepy or fun -- it was simply mean-spirited.

What do you think of Fitting Punishment? the african american version of a former white story from the comics? the one with the funeral guy who cut corners who abuses his nephew and all that? or what about the hilarious darkly funny What's Cooking with Christopher Reeves and Meatloaf? which is quite like Blood Diner or what about Carrion Death or Korman's Kalamity or Carrion Death?