Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Handmaid's Tale (The One On Hulu, Not on CSPAN)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

You didn't say theocracy. You said uniform socio-political oppression, and any historian will tell you that modern history absolutely encompasses the time period of post-Reconstruction.

Stop moving the goalposts when your points are being undercut by historical fact. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_history

I find the show completely unbelievable.  You don't.  You're not going to convince me otherwise by finding 50-100 year old data points that vaguely fit the show's narrative, and I'm not going to convince you.

I wonder if Moss has had any issues with the contents of the show, given her own religious leanings.  It is a curious choice for her.

A[quote name="Overlord" url="/community/t/156225/the-handmaids-tale-the-one-on-hulu-not-on-cspan/90#post_4456645"]
I find the show completely unbelievable.  You don't.  You're not going to convince me otherwise by finding 50-100 year old data points that vaguely fit the show's narrative, and I'm not going to convince you. 

I wonder if Moss has had any issues with the contents of the show, given her own religious leanings.  It is a curious choice for her.  
[/quote]

Japanese internment camps aren't close enough to bridge the gap for you? They're pretty darn recent.

Personal Anecdote:

In 2004 I was at Syracuse University and went to see Ann Coulter speak (for laughs, I thought) and she explicitly called for Arab Americans to be placed in camps. Said they should go voluntarily to show their patriotism. She got applause. In Syracuse NY.

So we're supposed to find the show believable because you witnessed five people in Syracuse clapping at something Coulter said?

A[quote name="Malmordo" url="/community/t/156225/the-handmaids-tale-the-one-on-hulu-not-on-cspan/90#post_4456673"]So we're supposed to find the show believable because you witnessed five people in Syracuse clapping at something Coulter said?
[/quote]

I think the fact that we packed up American citizens and stuck them in camps is the more impressive of the two.

That some modern pundits refered to it as an example to be followed after a terrorist attack? Yeah, I'd say it lowers the bar a smidge. But YMMV.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

I agree with you that men tend to be far more rational/grounded in realism and not given to flights of fearful fantasies.

I've been Godwin-ned!

There were pundits who said the 9/11 attacks were justified. Doesn't mean that a show about liberals working with Muslim terrorists to rule over post-apocalyptic America would be at all plausible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avian View Post

There were pundits who said the 9/11 attacks were justified. Doesn't mean that a show about liberals working with Muslim terrorists to rule over post-apocalyptic America would be at all plausible.

A good analogy.

I mean ... within 3-4 years of a major catastrophe a chunk of the U.S. has organized itself into a pseudo-Puritan institutionalized rape factory?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

A good analogy.

I mean ... within 3-4 years of a major catastrophe a chunk of the U.S. has organized itself into a pseudo-Puritan institutionalized rape factory?

I know.  I mean, it almost sounds like the plot of some kind of science-y, fictional story with allegorical elements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

I know.  I mean, it almost sounds like the plot of some kind of science-y, fictional story with allegorical elements.

You think snark is your ally?  I was born in the snark.  Molded by it.

Anyway, set it at an indeterminate amount of time way in the future and it works better.  Set it 4-5 years from the present day, that defense falls apart.

Indeterminate timelines always work best for sci-fi.  But when they decided to expand the flashback material for TV, which I do think was a necessity, that required establishing it in a more particular era.

But whatever, you can scoff "fake!" at any dystopian scenario.  I didn't find this one terribly difficult to fathom.  I'm mostly confused by your invoking Children Of Men as a contrast, as I think they are rather similar.  If you blurred the edges a bit, you could say Handmaid's is set in the same reality, a bit earlier on in the fertility crisis.

A[quote name="avian" url="/community/t/156225/the-handmaids-tale-the-one-on-hulu-not-on-cspan/90#post_4457418"]There were pundits who said the 9/11 attacks were justified. Doesn't mean that a show about liberals working with Muslim terrorists to rule over post-apocalyptic America would be at all plausible.
[/quote]

There's an entire American News Network dedicated to anti-Muslim fearmongering. And they're the current government's sole endorsed news outlet.

But yeah, a show about a liberal-Sharia alliance (what would that even BE? Gay marriage, but they have to be sentenced by a religious court the next day?) is equally as likely as a show about a conservative christian religious party taking over the current government. The government that passed new protections for religious objectors last week. That's trying to outlaw abortion and eliminate preventive health services for women. That has Mike Pence as the VP. That has 98% of evangelical voters pushing for more. Totally equally likely.

It's all science FICTION, but come on... some fantasies are less fantastical than others.

I liked CHILDREN OF MEN a lot more when it was a low-budget Italian post-nuke movie.

A[quote name="Malmordo" url="/community/t/156225/the-handmaids-tale-the-one-on-hulu-not-on-cspan/90#post_4457655"]I liked CHILDREN OF MEN a lot more when it was a low-budget Italian post-nuke movie.
[/quote]

I'm not quite sure how to feel that 2019 is a key year in a bunch of dystopian fiction.
Just caught up on this show. It was a bit of a slow burn at first, but by the end I kept catching myself holding my breath. The finale was a rollercoaster of emotion. Really fascinating, but tough to watch.

This show is so gorgeous.
Letterboxd Profile: https://letterboxd.com/wd40/

I often feel like I'm stuck in this weird film fan no man's land. Too picky and alert for the proles, too accepting for the bourgeoisie.
-MichaelM

Normal people have such nuanced bad taste.
-Bradito
Is anyone else still on board with this?

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
I am. It's dark but riveting television.

The last few moments of the most recent episode "First Blood" were amazing. I actually cheered.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
The finale just dropped and overall I've liked the season. I am a bit underwhelmed with the end as well as pulling punches. There was one scene in particular where I did a fist pump only to realize they left the door open for the character to call me back (I love the performer in this role but that characters death would have meant something).

The ending in particular felt more mandated by the fact that the show got renewed than (understandable) character motivation. I just hope we aren't back to the upstairs/downstairs dynamic by episode 3 of next season.
I have been waiting for the last episode to drop so I can binge.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club