Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS (2019) Pre-Release Discussion

SKREEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOONK!

Legendary/WB has officially confirmed that MICHAEL DOUGHERTY (TRICK 'R TREAT, KRAMPUS) will be writing AND directing the sequel to the 2014 city smashing hit GODZILLA.  Not only that we've also learned that the new Godzilla/Kong continuity has been dubbed the MonsterVerse and I for one love it. Hopefully that means the world of PACIFIC RIM will crossover with the MonsterVerse at some point. In any case, should be interesting to see what pieces KoM puts into play for the GODZILLA vs KONG film!

It's a great time to be a kaiju fan!

AI need this like I need the air that I breathe.

King of Monsters. Fuck yeah!

Really curious to see what Dougherty can do with a giant budget.

Millie Bobby Brown from Stranger Things is the first confirmed cast member:

http://heroichollywood.com/millie-bobby-...odzilla-2/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

SKREEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOONK!

Legendary/WB has officially confirmed that MICHAEL DOUGHERTY (TRICK 'R TREAT, KRAMPUS) will be writing AND directing the sequel to the 2014 city smashing hit GODZILLA.  Not only that we've also learned that the new Godzilla/Kong continuity has been dubbed the MonsterVerse and I for one love it. Hopefully that means the world of PACIFIC RIM will crossover with the MonsterVerse at some point. In any case, should be interesting to see what pieces KoM puts into play for the GODZILLA vs KONG film!

It's a great time to be a kaiju fan!

Since Krampus was awesome and Trick R Treat was a solid movie, I'm good with this choice.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

Oh this is good. This is very good news.

And I continue to be impressed that Legendary/WB seems to be casually pulling off this shared universe thing. For all the term gets thrown around, only Marvel has really pulled it off with DC struggling for cohesion, and those are adaptations from already-established universes. The MonsterVerse essentially has to be created from scratch (even if there is precedent with the original Godzilla vs. King Kong).

Maybe it's because it's a small world, at least in the moment. Connecting Pacific Rim would be cool as a vision of the future, culminating with a Godzilla vs. King Kong vs. Pacific Rim in like 2022.

I'm not sold on the Monsterverse yet. I don't want to see Pacific Rim as part of this verse because I was let down by that movie. It focused too much on the characters back stories, most of the fight scenes weren't anything to write home about and I wasn't impressed by the designs of the monsters. Toho did much better with rubber suits and a ton of imagination. As for Godzilla vs King Kong, I don't see how a big ape would be a credible threat  against an indestructible fire breathing dinosaur like creature. Yes I know that its silly to write but I stand by everything I just wrote. I think since Godzilla and Kong aren't the bad guys in there movies, they will put aside their differences to fight a common foe.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

I'm all for this if it this is what it takes to get Trick R Treat 2 off the ground.

AMonsterverse is already more real than DC's or Universal's promised universes, because Monsterverse already has one good movie in it. At least here, the horse has been put before the fucking cart instead of the other way around.

(I will not call it "The Monsterverse," any more than I call him "The Batman.")

I didn't care for Pacific Rim the movie, but the world it establishes is cool for a near future that Godzilla and King Kong could find themselves in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

I think since Godzilla and Kong aren't the bad guys in there movies, they will put aside their differences to fight a common foe.

If that common foe turns out to be King Ghidorah or Mechagodzilla with that punk Gigan getting his ass kicked in an opening scene, I'll be there opening day.

AI was under the impression that Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah were still slated for King of Monsters, unless they've adopted a new script since that word first went out at Comic-Con in 2014.
Quote:

Originally Posted by catartik View Post

I'm all for this if it this is what it takes to get Trick R Treat 2 off the ground.

No kidding.  Legendary announced a green light for it like three years ago, but since then... nothing.  Hopefully Dougherty knocks KING OF MONSTERS out of the park so TRICK 'R TREAT 2 can finally happen.

AThey seem very happy with him after Krampus made them a pretty good profit.

Never thought they would give him such a big budget to work with. I have all the faith in the world in him but if, by chance, this fails.... we might never get a Trick or Treat 2.

It still baffles me that TRICK 'R TREAT sat on a shelf for years before being released. It's such a great Halloween movie much like Krampus is a great Christmas movie!

You can bet that Dougherty is supremely happy to be doing a Godzilla movie. I'm very excited to see what he does with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

I was under the impression that Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah were still slated for King of Monsters, unless they've adopted a new script since that word first went out at Comic-Con in 2014.

Legendary does have the rights for those three, and they where all supposed to be in the sequel. I haven't heard anything about changing that plan.

PLEASE dump Mothra! King Ghidorah is where it's at! And Baragon!

Dump 'em all and bring in Gamera! He's really neat! And full of meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

I was under the impression that Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah were still slated for King of Monsters, unless they've adopted a new script since that word first went out at Comic-Con in 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

Legendary does have the rights for those three, and they where all supposed to be in the sequel. I haven't heard anything about changing that plan.

Bringing these characters into the sequel seems like the obvious choice, but having such a monster mash might make GODZILLA VS. KONG (coming after KING OF MONSTERS) feel anticlimactic.  Besides bringing those two iconic monsters together again, how is that movie going to feel like an escalation?  For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised if Legendary is tinkering a bit with the original concept for GODZILLA 2.  I think it would make more sense for there to be a progression a bit like this...

KING OF MONSTERS - Godzilla vs. Mothra (or Rodan).  A one-on-one battle.

GODZILLA VS. KONG - The two monsters clash in the first two acts, then team up in the third to take down a bigger threat.

DESTROY ALL MONSTERS REDUX - Godzilla, Kong, Mothra, Rodan vs. King Ghidorah (and whoever/whatever else).

Thread revised with the new/old title of the film.

HAIL TO THE MOTHERFUCKING KING, BABY!

I do not understand the appeal of Mothra. Rodan's only incrementally better.

Ghidorah is the shiznit, though.

Mothra got those two tiny ladies.

Lamer than the saucer section separating in Next Gen.

Can't disagree with that.

I love Dougherty, but I am curious to see how Trick R Treat and Krampus leads to a Kaiju film. His previous films are terrific, but they're both these intimate little boogedy monster movies, far more concerned with tone than spectacle. And spectacle seems like the chief concern of Kaiju films. Obviously, Dougherty has proven himself, and there's no particular reason not to think he's a huge Kaiju fan, so I'm certainly going to go see this, but I can't really see what the connective tissue is. Maybe his pitch was awesome; I bet it was.

HOWEVER, I do think the way you get Trick R Treat 2 is not through this succeeding. I think he makes Trick R Treat 2 if this crashes and burns, and he has to retreat to a 5 million dollar budget. If it hits, who knows, maybe he becomes the Godzilla movie guy. Or it's on to the next thing, maybe a Marvel/DC/Star War thingee, something like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

I love Dougherty, but I am curious to see how Trick R Treat and Krampus leads to a Kaiju film. His previous films are terrific, but they're both these intimate little boogedy monster movies, far more concerned with tone than spectacle. And spectacle seems like the chief concern of Kaiju films. Obviously, Dougherty has proven himself, and there's no particular reason not to think he's a huge Kaiju fan, so I'm certainly going to go see this, but I can't really see what the connective tissue is. Maybe his pitch was awesome; I bet it was.

HOWEVER, I do think the way you get Trick R Treat 2 is not through this succeeding. I think he makes Trick R Treat 2 if this crashes and burns, and he has to retreat to a 5 million dollar budget. If it hits, who knows, maybe he becomes the Godzilla movie guy. Or it's on to the next thing, maybe a Marvel/DC/Star War thingee, something like that.

Nah.  James Wan goes from huge budget movie like Fast 7 back to the Conjuring 2.  No reason why he won't balance the two.

Except The Conjuring made 150 million dollars and Trick R Treat wasn't even released. Maybe Dougherty's got a huge amount of passion for it, or maybe he'd enjoy some time on the A List.

James Gunn would make sense as a point of comparison, what with The Belko Experiment, and all, but then, he's not making Slither 2 anytime soon.

AOther than Watchmen and Maus, the only other graphic novels I ever read were the Trick R Treat: Days of the Dead and the Krampus one.

I think he could potentially get a Trick R Treat 2 greenlit with a larger budget for some different time period settings, like in the graphic novel, if he can turn a profit with Godzilla.

The wait will be unbearable though.

Dougherty will be just fine with Big G, wait and see.

I think Dougherty will do great!  My favorite of the Toho Godzilla movies have horror tones, and Dougherty knows his way around effects, so I'm quite hopeful!

And yeah, the Kaiju bench is really deep, so no need to head straight for King Ghidorah.

I'd still love to see a new Hedorah.  It's topical!

Also, under no circumstances, should a Pacific Rim crossover ever happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

I do not understand the appeal of Mothra. Rodan's only incrementally better.

Ghidorah is the shiznit, though.

While I'm not a fan of Mothra either, I have to admit she shows a lot of heart in Godzilla King Ghidorah Mothra Giant Monsters Attack. The twin fairies are awesome. I don't think they would work in the grounded, well grounded for a monster movie, tone of Godzilla. My idea is that Mothra is a South Pacific legend and a pair of twin sisters are in the movie because they are well versed in the legend.  Every so often they speak in unison.

APart of what fascinates me about Mothra is that it's a glimpse of Japan romanticizing Indonesia, the way American otaku romanticize Japan.

[quote name="Arjen Rudd" url="/community/t/159051/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-2019-pre-release-discussion#post_4225466"]His previous films are terrific, but they're both these intimate little boogedy monster movies, far more concerned with tone than spectacle. And spectacle seems like the chief concern of Kaiju films. [/quote]

I respectfully disagree with this. The spectacle is just the part that translates the most easily.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

KING OF MONSTERS - Godzilla vs. Mothra (or Rodan).  A one-on-one battle.

GODZILLA VS. KONG - The two monsters clash in the first two acts, then team up in the third to take down a bigger threat.

DESTROY ALL MONSTERS REDUX - Godzilla, Kong, Mothra, Rodan vs. King Ghidorah (and whoever/whatever else).

For KOM, I would take out Mothra and put in Anguirus.

For G vs K, forming an uneasy alliance in the end is where they will probably have to go. Maybe they will become friends like Rocky and Apollo. Whether they have to team up to fight other monsters, which I would say they need at least three or four, as Godzilla already kicked ass against two on his own. As much as I love Ghidorah, he may not be tough enough. I guess that depends on how powerful they want to make him.

I would love a Destroy All Monsters redux, but I don't need Mothra in anything.

As for a Pacific Rim crossover, I don't think it's needed. Godzilla did fight with that giant robot dude already in one of his adventures. Was that Ultraman?

AI'm super weird, I'd love it if Legendary could work Mothra into this iteration. She is an interesting feminine maternal take on a kaiju.

Mothra and Ghidorah . . . it's Rodan I dont care much for either way. Anything else besides Hedorah should be an original creation like the MUTOs.

Pacific Rim's monsters were..uninspiring.

Really of all the Kaiju movies it's the Godzilla films that have the best monster designs. Even Megalon is better than anything in Pacific Rim.

I do like the Gyos from the Gamera movies, especially their big googly eyes.