Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS (2019) Pre-Release Discussion

Godzilla vs. Hedorah is an objectively bad movie, and it is fascinating that one of the darkest, grisliest Godzilla movies is aimed at kids.  A favorite.

I find I have a hard time talking people into Godzilla movies (or Tokusatsu).  It's either your kind of schlock, or it isn't.

ATokusatsu, super kawaii desu!

Godzilla vs Hedorah has always been one of my favorite Godzilla movies. It is one of the weirdest  movies in the series with its psychedelic influences. On one hand its the darkest Godzilla movie since the first; Hedorah kills a lot of people. Then it has the most ridiculous scene of the series; of course I'm talking about Godzilla flying. Fun fact the title of that chapter on the DVD is: There is something you don't see everyday. The final battle is one of the better ones of the series.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

It's also lit completely different from the rest of the series, especially the monster fights.  Makes me wish Banno would have gotten another crack at directing.

I need to source it, but I read that the producer was in the hospital most of the production, and was horrified when he finally saw the footage.

Still waiting for this Pharoahe Monch track to show up in a Godzilla movie.

Thanks to this song, every time I hear this music in a Godzilla movie all I can think is "Girls... rub on your titties"...

All joking aside, the beat is a perfect modernization of the original theme.

Original video for reference(I just think the fan made video is funnier):

Production of GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS begins this Summer!

REJOICE!

Kyle Chandler's going to be in this as Millie Bobbie Brown's dad.

Between this and Super 8, Chandler's clearly begging Spielberg to come back and make another of his '70s/'80s "Weirdness in Suburbia" films so he can play the Spielberg dad in the real thing, not just the knockoffs.

Seems the guys making the Monsterverse really dug Straight Outta Compton - after Corey Hawkins and Jason Mitchell in Kong: Skull Island, O'Shea Jackson Jr. is now joining this.

http://www.slashfilm.com/godzilla-2-cast...ackson-jr/

AOk, nerd stench backtrack, sorry . . .

I've mentioned before that I'd like to see this flick be Mothra's movie, and I'm convinced that it's the only way to really tie together what they are trying to do with this americanized Kaijuniverse (much better than Monsterverse, no?). Follow to some extent the events of the first film . . . monster (larval Mothra) shows up, does some damage, Godzilla stirs and intercepts . . . but here is where it diverges . . . let's say that a few million people worldwide 'hear' Mothra, enough people that the world just accepts that "Holy Shit! This thing is communicating!" But because Godzilla can't 'hear' Mothra (psychically dull), the movie become a race against time to try and stop/slow him from getting to her before we can figure out what she is saying.

Kong can hear her, and the now obligatory post credit scene is employees at Monarch's unobtrusive Skull Island facility watching an anxious (or sad) Kong draw/paint on the cliff faces enormous figures of Ghidorah.

*lights a match, lets it burn, blows it out*

I watched Shin Godzilla, and it was actually pretty decent.

It was essentially a reboot, as this is the first encounter they seem to have had with the Big G.

They had an interesting take on Godzilla's "evolution" once he first appears.

They also changed his fire breathing too, making it pretty damn devastating to everything he used it on. As well as adding a few extra tricks.

The design was different, almost what you might expect for a radiation created monster to look like, it's skin all different that what he has been before.

He still moved around like a "man in a suit" once things got going.

If people complained about not enough Godzilla is what we did, they certainly wouldn't like this one.

A lot of it was played out through government rooms and them trying to decide what to do about it, until the US of course shows up to threaten to drop another nuke on Japan.

I did like that they used many of the old musical cues that Godzilla has had all these years. I wish they were able to use some of them in the latest US Godzilla.

Overall pretty different than what he has been, but a pretty interesting take on Godzilla.

Yeah, but when the giant woman showed up carrying a bucket,

and she and Godzilla walk into the sunset, I thot it went too far.

ADamn, never knew that Big G was such a thot. Childhood ruined.

Thanx Stevehauk! Jerk!
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehauk View Post

You're right, but it wouldn't have looked as bad if he wasn't the one holding the damn umbrella.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehauk View Post

Still a better love story than Twilight.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

JMS doing some writing for Godzilla vs. King Kong?  Neat!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vi...oom-984992

It's still shooting after the next Godzilla, right?

Yes. Its Godzilla 2019 and Godzilla vs Kong 2020.

ASkreeonk.com is reporting that the Creature Designer for King of Monsters is Tom Woodruff Jr., whose previous work includes suits for the Aliens and Pumpkinhead movies.

So does this mean practical effects, or just the basic design for the CGI?

I don't know, I'm a little worried about their Ghidorah design...

read the article.

it says 'Woodruff Jr. is now the man who will be giving the world it’s first “modern” CGI incarnations of Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah – as each are slated to appear in KOTM alongside Godzilla.'

A[quote name="Reasor" url="/community/t/159051/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-2019-pre-release-discussion/50#post_4293481"]Skreeonk.com is reporting that the Creature Designer for King of Monsters is Tom Woodruff Jr., whose previous work includes suits for the Aliens and Pumpkinhead movies.[/quote]

True Fact; my highschool sophmore English teacher was Tom's sister, and he was a guest in our class one time, mainly talking about his work for the reindeer in the first The Santa Clause, which our teacher played for us the week prior.

Cool stuff. The main thing I remember was him not being happy about the first Mortal Kombat movie. His team did Goro for that, with him in the suit. Dude is tall.

The worst thing has to be when all their practical work for The Thing prequel/remake got replaced with CGI. Feel the burn.

Yeah, they're not going practical. It's nice PR, but means nothing. I remember several Jurassic World puff-pieces that were selling that as some type of old-school throwback. Nice how that turned out.

Also, he should re-do the Godzilla design. That generic bear-lizard is so boring post-Shin.

Would be nice if they got some Japanese designers on this, but anyone but Neville Page is also fine.

AOut of the four monsters that we know are going to be in this, zero of them would look better practical than the digital bear-lizard. That creature is an icon brought to life.
AI'm a subscriber to Woodruff and Gillis' studioADI YouTube channel. They're two old school vets swimming against the tide with 10lbs weights chained to their necks, but it's still pretty cool.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojj View Post

Yeah, they're not going practical. It's nice PR, but means nothing. I remember several Jurassic World puff-pieces that were selling that as some type of old-school throwback. Nice how that turned out.

Also, he should re-do the Godzilla design. That generic bear-lizard is so boring post-Shin.

I'm good with the design of Godzilla; its different enough to be its own thing but still recognizable as Godzilla.

According to Mike Doughtery there will be some practical FX in KotM. Which is intriguing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

According to Mike Doughtery there will be some practical FX in KotM. Which is intriguing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojj View Post

http://www.gamesradar.com/4-quotes-from-...xcitement/

This one is nice and timely.

A[quote name="Chaz" url="/community/t/159051/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-2019-pre-release-discussion/50#post_4293735"]I'm good with the design of Godzilla; its different enough to be its own thing but still recognizable as Godzilla. 
[/quote]

Two very minor issues: the plates . . . I get what they were going for, I'd have liked more symmetry, and the tail . . . big n' floppy dammit! Shin got the tail right.

Otherwise his design was perfect.

Filming started today and here is the synopsis.

http://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/offi...s-released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

Filming started today and here is the synopsis.

http://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/offi...s-released

This is going to be awesome!

AI'm not big on the idea of King Ghidorah potentially representing an extinct species of three-headed animals, even in a franchise populated by physically impossible animals.

I'm fine with it since they probably won't introduce aliens into the mix.  The synopsis alone makes me incredibly happy.

There's no way the movie's third act doesn't involve Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra teaming up to take down King Ghidorah, right?

If they do go that route, I wonder if they run the risk of making GODZILLA VS. KONG feel almost like an anticlimax.  I don't see how that film could go bigger than this one appears to be aiming for.

AGhidorah shows up late game and remains through Kong v Godzilla: Dawn of Kaijustice?

I'll be bummed if he's not just an alien . . . but super bummed if he's not an alien bioweapon. I'll not accept unknown ancient pre-human civilization (Seatopians) bioweapon . . . has to be alien.

And . . . come on guys, lets not talk of crossing this over into Pacific Rim. These are giant monster movies, lets be serious.