Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS (2019) Pre-Release Discussion
(05-31-2019, 08:14 AM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Richard's 'aggressively OK' has me a little worr-

Nope, not worried at all. This will be tits.

It actually has me worried quite a bit. Richard's generally more generous and easygoing on this kind of genre film than I am....and if he's calling it aggressively OK, I'm severely worried I'm gonna hate it.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
*sticks fingers in ears*

LALALALALALALALALALALA
Grace liked it, despite not being a Kaiju fan.

Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Thanks, Grace!

....whoever you are.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Loved this; it has the same "forced human element to appeal to western audiences" of Godzilla 2014, but this time its properly countered by so much kaiju action.
The first one was a good Godzilla adaptation; this one is a good Godzilla movie.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Doing my best to lower expectations, many critics I respect haven't dug it, including Evan who's a Kaiju fan. I'm just hoping it's an Aquaman/GoE situation where I fucking love the thing a lot of people hate.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I've damn near guilted myself into seeing this again just to see if I had a stick up my ass last night for some reason.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(05-31-2019, 10:37 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I've damn near guilted myself into seeing this again just to see if I had a stick up my ass last night for some reason.

Dude, don't force it.  It's ok to not like a movie.  You'll get by...you'll survive.
I've been watching a lot of the old Zilla movies. They are filled with nonsense human stuff going on with all kinds of random/weird shit going on, so it's nothing new.

The thing we didn't get here, and maybe it doesn't matter, is a Godzilla that is just interested in destroying things, like the Japanese versions. He's our "friend" for the most part.

I'm not sure how a Godzilla movie like that would play out, or if it is necessary.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
My tastes don't align with too many here on the boards, but all I can say is damn that was good.

If you grew up on these four beasts, then you need to see this. Don't let any reviewers ruin your fun.

Are there things to complain about? Sure, there always is, but for me, it doesn't take away from the overall movie.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Movie is so much fun.

My take: Add this one to the short list of sequels that surpass their originals. In a big way. The Japanese films are still the True Kings, though.
FWIW, Brad Jones (Cinema Snob) also liked it.

While it's not the best film in the Monsterverse, it's nowhere near as bad as critics are saying. It'll definitely be joining my physical media collection. Hopefully we get an extended edition or at the very least some deleted scenes.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Eh, I generally had fun while watching it but then taking a step back afterward I'd say my feelings are mixed, leaning a little toward negative but definitely still with some positive. There are lots of bits in it for a Godzilla fan, that's for sure.

I don't mind that there's bad dialogue and thin characterization, god(zilla) knows I love plenty of monster movies with those things. Mostly I think the problem is there's just too much of everything, like whether you think it succeeded or not Godzilla 2014 was shooting for quality over quantity and they went too far in the other direction with this one, at least for my taste.

In that regard it's totally a reflection of the style of most modern Hollywood effects movies and I'm increasingly burnt out on that. Like, re: action scenes always being in rain, snow, clouds, night, ocean, etc. I could still follow what was happening but I'm just sick of the aesthetic at this point. It all just kinda blurs together.

But it's not terrible, I'll definitely watch it again and probably enjoy it. Actually I'm kinda looking forward to eventually seeing the action scenes on a smaller screen, I feel like I'll be able to pick out more distinctive moments and cool details if it's not a total sensory overload.
It's very "modern" entertainment, like many new school blockbusters. This is to the original Japanese films as The Force Awakens (which I like) is to the original Star Wars films. Not as reality based but still glossy fun. Louder and bigger with more effects but with just enough characterization and narrative arc to still be a movie. This one learns from the prior's mistakes in the right way, though... Even Ridley Scott isn't doing that.

There's story but it's comic booky. Then again SHIN GODZILLA was all human story and to me, mostly dull. Theres perfection in the middle somewhere, and while KOTM is huge and loud, there's so much it does so better than most. I even liked some of the no name "third level" support character, and nowadays you're lucky to even give a shit about your leads.

They did this up pretty well, I thought. Empty calories but entertaining viewing. Def the best American attempt at the property yet.
I'm with engineer!
It put a big smile on my face! Now I'm off to the post release thread.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
finally! I can stand with chaz about a godzilla!
And The Last Jedi as well.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
last jedi is a godzilla movie???
Is that why people were mad at it? Not even Zilla screen time? Too many hoomuns?
You know what, a day later and I’m mostly thinking about the positives now. It may not be a *great* Godzilla movie for me but it’s a very fun one that is satisfying in a lot of ways despite its flaws.