Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS (2019) Pre-Release Discussion
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

Filming started today and here is the synopsis.

http://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/offi...s-released

I hope Ghidorah emerges from a volcano lair.  Like Blofeld in Thunderball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

There's no way the movie's third act doesn't involve Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra teaming up to take down King Ghidorah, right?

If they do go that route, I wonder if they run the risk of making GODZILLA VS. KONG feel almost like an anticlimax.  I don't see how that film could go bigger than this one appears to be aiming for.

Godzilla vs Kong could create a new monster that is more imposing than Ghidorah, but that would be tough to pull off. I still think that after Godzilla and Kong fight, they will team up against another monster or monsters.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

Legendary has already started the viral marketing.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.p...;width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

If you go to the Facebook page of Kong: Skull Island, they have a number of viral videos like the one above.

I dig it.

Neato!  "Monster Zero!"  They know how to get to my heart.

Yes to all of this. Oh man oh man oh man

I like these videos, but I'm still going to complain...

Maybe just throw a silhouette or something like that of what monster it is would have been real fun. No specific detail of the design, but something that would tell us who it is.

Can't wait for Ghidorah on the big screen.

AImage from the official Twitter account of Monarch (timed, I would assume, to coincide with San Diego Comic-Con):

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.chud.com/community/content/type/61/id/244173/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

I remain deeply unexcited by Mothra. I have never understood the appeal of a giant moth as a monster.

ASpoken like a man who doesn't own a lot of sweaters.
APleaseohpleaseohplease be the stealth Mothra movie I want it to be.

BOO, MM! Done right, Mothra could and should move this franchise into interesting directions.

May sound odd, but I wonder if we will even see her 'fight' . . . if you can't make a Mothra vs Rodan/Godzilla work, work around it and make her important in other ways. Give the violent action stuff to GvR . . . but I swear to fucking God if the larval Mothra don't cocoon Godzilla up in sticky silk to protect momma Mothra from him that will be an UNFUCKINGFORGIVABLE FAILURE, do you hear me, Tull! TULL! . . . UNFUCKINGFORGIVABLE!

No twins . . . willing to bet they will instead two people (Stranger Things) selected to act as heralds instead of twins instead.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Image from the official Twitter account of Monarch (timed, I would assume, to coincide with San Diego Comic-Con):

Oh yes.  That's the stuff.

I keep pinching myself to make sure that isn't all some sort of wonderful dream.

Hey, I'm open to having my mind changed. But having watched kaiju movies when I was a kid - including ones with Mothra - I remain confounded by the appeal.

A[quote name="Turingmachine75" url="/community/t/159051/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-2019-pre-release-discussion/100#post_4327672"]Pleaseohpleaseohplease be the stealth Mothra movie I want it to be.

BOO, MM! Done right, Mothra could and should move this franchise into interesting directions.

May sound odd, but I wonder if we will even see her 'fight' . . . if you can't make a Mothra vs Rodan/Godzilla work, work around it and make her important in other ways. Give the violent action stuff to GvR . . . but I swear to fucking God if the larval Mothra don't cocoon Godzilla up in sticky silk to protect momma Mothra from him that will be an UNFUCKINGFORGIVABLE FAILURE, do you hear me, Tull! TULL! . . . UNFUCKINGFORGIVABLE!

No twins . . . willing to bet they will instead two people (Stranger Things) selected to act as heralds instead.[/quote]

I like the fact that the stone carving includes the egg and the twin larvae. Maybe we'll see the time honored "baby Mothras avenge their mother" trope.

Mothra the good Kaiju right? (I've never watched these films)

AYeah, Mothra's always been depicted as being pretty benign. Even in her first movie outing, she was a misunderstood kaiju on a rescue mission.
AI'm so glad that I don't know shit about Godzilla or any of his peripheral characters. I feel like I'll enjoy this more with no baggage attached. Hell, the only reason I knew Mothra was likely more protagonist than antagonist is because I had the wack Godzilla NES game where you can play either Godzilla or Mothra. I still don't know what Mothra's attack in that game was supposed to be. I've never known. It looked like he just sheds his wings over and over and over and they drop on enemies like the bombs that you can drop on shooting games like Gradius. I imagine that's not what Mothra was supposed to be doing but that's what it looked like..
AI remember that game! I'm nearly certain they just made up for the game. As a kid, I wondered why they picked Mothra over Rodan, not realizing how much more popular Mothra is in Japan.

Mothra actually is kind of a bad ass in the 90's movie Godzilla: Tokyo SOS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

Mothra actually is kind of a bad ass in the 90's movie Godzilla: Tokyo SOS.

I'm not a big Mothra fan, but he did do pretty decent in that one.

Illuminate me: how, in practice, is Mothra a badass in that movie? Does he flap his wings harder?

AGuys, please-- Mothra is a female.

And I don't want to see anyone hating on her. A boy's best friend is his Mothra.
A[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/159051/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-2019-pre-release-discussion/120#post_4328116"]Illuminate me: how, in practice, is Mothra a badass in that movie? Does he flap his wings harder?
[/quote]
Maybe it has something to do with a Han returns to help Luke destroy the Death Star at the end of Star Wars type moment?

My imagination is fertile enough, I'm sure were I making one of these movies, I could think of a few bad ass things for a moth the size of an aircraft carrier to do Wink
A[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/159051/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-2019-pre-release-discussion/100#post_4328116"]Illuminate me: how, in practice, is Mothra a badass in that movie? Does he flap his wings harder?
[/quote]

After MechaGodzilla turns out to have been made from the bones of the original Godzilla, Mothra threatens to declare war on humanity if they don't put the remains back to rest at the bottom of the ocean.

That's pretty gangsta.
A[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/159051/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-2019-pre-release-discussion/100#post_4328116"]Illuminate me: how, in practice, is Mothra a badass in that movie? Does he flap his wings harder?
[/quote]

Mosura 2: Moth Harder

MOSURA-YAH!
Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

Illuminate me: how, in practice, is Mothra a badass in that movie? Does he flap his wings harder?

AIs Tokyo S.O.S. the movie where rubber suit Godzilla kills the Emmerich movie Godzilla? I have seen that clip before..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Is Tokyo S.O.S. the movie where rubber suit Godzilla kills the Emmerich movie Godzilla? I have seen that clip before..

No, Final Wars is the one where Godzilla kills GINO.

A[quote name="Richard Dickson" url="/community/t/159051/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-2019-pre-release-discussion/120#post_4328149"]
No, Final Wars is the one where Godzilla kills GINO.
[/quote]
Ohhh ok, thanks for clearing that up. I know which one I wanna watch now! Smile
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

Quote:

So I was pretty much correct.

Eh.

A

Nerd Stenchy: I don't think they will go Flap Harder! at all.

They've established that these movies take place in a 'Hollow Earth' world . . . the M.U.T.O.s&G&R&M&KK&KG all exist as part of an ancient ecosystem. I think/hope that what they will do with Mothra in this variation is make her a giant parthenogenetic insect who uses (as an adult) telepathy/mild clairvoyance (it can be muddy) as her defense. Give her a psionic attack/warning that works like a threat display, but she CAN'T fight - "Don't let them fight!" - to riff on the first one, if you'll allow. I'd like to see these psionic attacks 'attack' everyone . . . rather than give us a version of the twin girls that they are sure to give us . . . she isn't just a monster causing localized death and property damage . . . she's causing nosebleeds and/or headaches and/or earaches and/or mild hallucinations and/or mild paranoia and accidents and car accidents and heart attacks and just a generalized, global unease nearly everywhere (bad dreams on the night-side of the planet). Not extreme . . . don't go there . . . give the apocalyptic visions and shit to our two 'twin girls' stand-ins. Also nicely avoids spending time on 'getting everyone to believe the crankcase's story' because everyone is experiencing it. Trying to figure out that she is trying to tell them (the crankcases . . . fuck) something should be what our human characters are doing. It's a warning. She is dying. Describe her life cycle as one where the adult form dies shortly after laying her egg . . . Serizawa can wax philosophic about her being an actual fucking Phoenix. Her larval form can fight to some extent, but that should be limited to web spinning and snake-like grappling (G & KG should be the only ones with a real 'breath weapon'). They shouldn't be able to 'broadcast' psionic energy as juveniles, her warning being that without her keeping him asleep in the ice in one of the poles, Ghidorah (uh, he is, um, on Earth, and asleep in the ice in one of the, uh, poles . . . that's a spoiler, I guess? . . . it's part of the online stuff) is going to wake. KG would be in the movie, but he'd be more like a ticking clock.

Mothra, done right, is the key to getting an American Godzilla franchise to work beyond "Oh, hey, a monster mash!" She provides the quasi-mystical element to give it a sense of purpose. It's just . . . getting over the name, unfortunately.

So, yeah . . . hoping for nosebleeds and webbing . . . no super-flapping. I think the moment in the first one of the Muto passing the widows of the office building may have been a bit of a nod to that. The windows didn't break, yeah, but that movie studiously avoided cumshots so it's still not unlikely.

Need to get some more matches. Hard to find these days.

Quote:

So I was pretty much correct.

Eh.

To you I say "Feh!"

The beginning of Tokyo SOS has two fighter jets homing in on a UFO flying through the clouds. It's Mothra! Out pacing the fighter jets! Too bad that clip is not on YouTube.

In the original Godzilla vs The Thing, Mothra has poison...er pollen I guess which she covers Godzilla with, grapples with him, plus yes the flapping, then of course the Mothra Larva have the silk spinning capabilities which enable them to defeat Godzilla.

But yeah I have to agree that next to most G Foes, Mothra ain't all that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turingmachine75 View Post

Nerd Stenchy: I don't think they will go Flap Harder! at all.

They've established that these movies take place in a 'Hollow Earth' world . . . the M.U.T.O.s&G&R&M&KK&KG all exist as part of an ancient ecosystem. I think/hope that what they will do with Mothra in this variation is make her a giant parthenogenetic insect who uses (as an adult) telepathy/mild clairvoyance (it can be muddy) as her defense. Give her a psionic attack/warning that works like a threat display, but she CAN'T fight - "Don't let them fight!" - to riff on the first one, if you'll allow. I'd like to see these psionic attacks 'attack' everyone . . . rather than give us a version of the twin girls that they are sure to give us . . . she isn't just a monster causing localized death and property damage . . . she's causing nosebleeds and/or headaches and/or earaches and/or mild hallucinations and/or mild paranoia and accidents and car accidents and heart attacks and just a generalized, global unease nearly everywhere (bad dreams on the night-side of the planet). Not extreme . . . don't go there . . . give the apocalyptic visions and shit to our two 'twin girls' stand-ins. Also nicely avoids spending time on 'getting everyone to believe the crankcase's story' because everyone is experiencing it. Trying to figure out that she is trying to tell them (the crankcases . . . fuck) something should be what our human characters are doing. It's a warning. She is dying. Describe her life cycle as one where the adult form dies shortly after laying her egg . . . Serizawa can wax philosophic about her being an actual fucking Phoenix. Her larval form can fight to some extent, but that should be limited to web spinning and snake-like grappling (G & KG should be the only ones with a real 'breath weapon'). They shouldn't be able to 'broadcast' psionic energy as juveniles, her warning being that without her keeping him asleep in the ice in one of the poles, Ghidorah (uh, he is, um, on Earth, and asleep in the ice in one of the, uh, poles . . . that's a spoiler, I guess? . . . it's part of the online stuff) is going to wake. KG would be in the movie, but he'd be more like a ticking clock.

Mothra, done right, is the key to getting an American Godzilla franchise to work beyond "Oh, hey, a monster mash!" She provides the quasi-mystical element to give it a sense of purpose. It's just . . . getting over the name, unfortunately.

So, yeah . . . hoping for nosebleeds and webbing . . . no super-flapping. I think the moment in the first one of the Muto passing the widows of the office building may have been a bit of a nod to that. The windows didn't break, yeah, but that movie studiously avoided cumshots so it's still not unlikely.

Need to get some more matches. Hard to find these days.

Works for me. I am more worried about how they make Rodan interesting.

Mothra's best moments are in Godzilla Mothra King Ghidorah because she shows a lot of heart in that movie. Gets smacked around a lot by Godzilla, but she never gives up.

People dissing Mothra in a Godzilla thread is just wrong on so many levels.

Don't make me sic her on you and bounce your ass out the door.