Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Re-up Thread
Hackman is one of those rare actors that elevates ANYTHING that he's in at least a bit just through his presence alone.

I like MIB but I sometimes think about what an 80s MIB with Hackman and Snipes or Denzel or Keith David directed by John Carpenter (for example) could've been like. One that was more Ridley Scott Alien than Ghostbusters. But that's just one example. At this point I wish that Hackman would make one more movie...just because. Carpenter too..
Hackman and TLJ in The Package on Amazon Prime. Decent thriller. Andrew Davis leadup to Under Siege and The Fugitive for TLJ.
Yeah, The Package is an underrated movie.

I think Enemy of the State is as well..
I was watching Siskel and Ebert's "Worst of 1990" show the other day and Hackman made it on there twice. First was for LOOSE CANNONS. Okay, yes it's awful. A fascinating sort of awful but it certainly had every right to be on the list. But then Siskel also had the audacity to put NARROW MARGIN on there. The hell, Gene? Absolute madness.
Gene had some eyebrow raising opinions here and there. But then...Siskel did too. Spawn being a three and a half star out of four movie being one of the crazier ones I can think of..
(08-19-2019, 03:29 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: Near Dark is probably the best vampire movie ever made.

Dont sleep on ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
(08-21-2019, 07:35 AM)chavez Wrote:
(08-19-2019, 03:29 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: Near Dark is probably the best vampire movie ever made.

Dont sleep on ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE

Blade!

Cronos!

All strong contenders for second place.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
LOVE AT FIRST BITE.
(08-22-2019, 03:12 PM)hammerhead Wrote: All strong contenders for second place.

I'm usually VERY forgiving of this, so it almost pains me to say it, but Near Dark really could have used another 500k-1M in budget ...

Near Dark would be way higher up on the list if someone other than Adrian Pasdar was the lead.
(08-22-2019, 03:43 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Near Dark would be way higher up on the list if someone other than Adrian Pasdar was the lead.

That, too.

FRIGHT NIGHT, bitches.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
I had League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on in the background and it's honestly not bad. Connery is still game, even if it sounds like he was an absolute nightmare to work with at this point, and the rest of the cast is pretty good too (except maybe Shane West, who's more bland than anything else). It really feels like a last gasp of the “big set-big practical effects” movies. The Mr. Hyde suit is particularly impressive. I definitely prefer its unapologetic pulp to the list of grievances with occasional sex assault the later comics descend into to.

But how, how did Peter Jackson ever think Stuart Townsend was going to work as Aragorn?
Nosferatu, Salem's Lot, Bram Stoker's Dracula, From Dusk Till Dawn, Blade/Blade II FTW..
(08-22-2019, 05:30 PM)atomtastic Wrote: I had League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on in the background and it's honestly not bad. Connery is still game, even if it sounds like he was an absolute nightmare to work with at this point, and the rest of the cast is pretty good too (except maybe Shane West, who's more bland than anything else). It really feels like a last gasp of the “big set-big practical effects” movies. The Mr. Hyde suit is particularly impressive.  I definitely prefer its unapologetic pulp to the list of grievances with occasional sex assault the later comics descend into to.

But how, how did Peter Jackson ever think Stuart Townsend was going to work as Aragorn?

I don't hate it either.  Nemo is particularly good in it.  The thing is, PENNY DREADFUL showed how to do this sort of thing right and I'd much rather watch that again than LXG.
It would have been greatly improved by Paul Walker as Tom Sawyer. Kate Beckinsale was just a few years early to complete her sexy vampire lady trilogy.
Watched INTERNAL AFFAIRS over the weekend. I don't know why Richard Gere didn't play more heavies. He's a natural in the role of Dennis Peck. Some of his dialog when he's trying to suggest to Andy Garcia what he would do to Nancy Travis made me blush. Can't believe this thing wasn't written by Joe Eszterhas.
Put me in the camp that thinks the hate for LXG was/is a bit overblown.  It's not really a good movie per se, but I don't find it a difficult watch. Great Trevor Jones score, too.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Out of the classic vampire movies listed above, Salem's Lot is the only one where I thought the vampires were legitimately terrifying.

My personal favorite is Let Me In (I prefer it to the original).

For people who like their vampires to be more feral and monstrous, I'd highly recommend From the Dark.

Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
SALEM'S LOT is good but it's weighed down by the Peyton Place-esque small town soap opera shit that generally goes nowhere.

But yeah. The vampires, including Mr Barlowe, are still pretty damn scary.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I wouldn't add Fright Night 2 to the best vampire flicks list, but its a solid sequel.

I don't hate LXG, but I do consider it an average movie at best.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Thanks pufncraft for indirectly reminding me of Let the Right One In. I'm changing my vote for #1. And yeah, it's totally superior to the remake.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN is stupidly good, but LET ME IN is definitely one of the better American remakes of a great foreign film. There's room for both!

I don't know if VAMPIRE'S KISS is necessarily "good," but holy hell Nic Cage is unreal in that.
I kind of hate that Let Me In ignores so many of the elements that make the original distinctive, like the whole sexual-ambiguity thing, or the fact that it's a rare atheist vampire story. Plus, the Los Alamos setting is wasted, and re-editing the narrative to frame it with the detective's investigation is a huge mistake that pulls us away from the boy's POV.
(08-22-2019, 05:30 PM)atomtastic Wrote: But how, how did Peter Jackson ever think Stuart Townsend was going to work as Aragorn?

Eric Stoltz was unavailable.

Boy, after some of the movies around here that DO get curb stomped constantly, 24/7, LXG of all things gets an "eh, it's not terrible.."? Nonononono..
(08-23-2019, 10:05 AM)Mangy Wrote: I don't know if VAMPIRE'S KISS is necessarily "good," but holy hell Nic Cage is unreal in that.

It took me a while to conclude that I genuinely liked VAMPIRE'S KISS and wasn't merely fascinated by it.
(08-23-2019, 01:45 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Boy, after some of the movies around here that DO get curb stomped constantly, 24/7, LXG of all things gets an "eh, it's not terrible.."? Nonononono..

I'll watch LXG 20 times in a row before I watch SPEED RACER or JUPITER ASCENDING again.
Cray-cray..
(08-23-2019, 02:01 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 01:45 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Boy, after some of the movies around here that DO get curb stomped constantly, 24/7, LXG of all things gets an "eh, it's not terrible.."? Nonononono..

I'll watch LXG 20 times in a row before I watch SPEED RACER or JUPITER ASCENDING again.

[Image: giphy.gif]

In a world where The Predator exists, all bad movies have been incrementally moved upwards in my estimation.

(08-23-2019, 02:01 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I'll watch LXG 20 times in a row before I watch SPEED RACER or JUPITER ASCENDING again.

Maybe not 20 times in a row, but I'd definitely pick LXG over either of those.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(08-23-2019, 02:01 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I'll watch LXG 20 times in a row before I watch SPEED RACER or JUPITER ASCENDING again.

I'd rather hammer rusty nails in my johnson than watch any of them.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(08-23-2019, 02:32 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 02:01 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I'll watch LXG 20 times in a row before I watch SPEED RACER or JUPITER ASCENDING again.

I'd rather hammer rusty nails in my johnson than watch any of them.

[Image: 1c8dea.jpg]