Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Re-up Thread
They had all the Gotham City sets saved in storage. And Burton had them all thrown out and started over from scratch.

Yes, possibly due to the tragic passing of Anton Furst. But I get the impression they would have done so anyway. Returns was Burton's directorial power (or "Blank Check") film and went hog-wild. Interestingly Keaton wasn't contracted for any sequels and Warner Brothers had to pay out the ass to get him back.

The real ending to Big...
..and he was worth every penny. He MAKES that film. Any time I think "maybe I should buy it" it's solely based on Keaton's performance and that Batmobile. It's a TINY piece of the world from the first unaltered and it's damn near enough. I'm not even that wild about this Catwoman. Much prefer Hathaway's Catwoman to Pfeiffer's despite liking Pfeiffer better as an actress. That I like TDKR faaar more than Returns probably has a lot to do with that..
I'd also kill to see the deleted Marlon Wayans footage. I recall during the Scary Movie 2 press-rounds someone brought it up and he acknowledged they filmed his stuff.

(06-21-2019, 10:33 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: ..and he was worth every penny. He MAKES that film. Any time I think "maybe I should buy it" it's solely based on Keaton's performance and that Batmobile. It's a TINY piece of the world from the first unaltered and it's damn near enough. I'm not even that wild about this Catwoman. Much prefer Hathaway's Catwoman to Pfeiffer's despite liking Pfeiffer better as an actress. That I like TDKR faaar more than Returns probably has a lot to do with that..

Read that too fast on my phone and thought you wrote Halle Berry's Catwoman. I was very confused for a second.
“Fabulosity incarnate stands before you; show some goddamn respect.
Oh HELLLLLLL NAW! Fuck that movie..
The Dark Knight Rises is actually my favorite of the Dark Knight Trilogy.

I know it's been said (probably here and elsewhere), but it's true: BATMAN RETURNS is a pretty great Tim Burton movie; it is not a particularly great Batman movie.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
It's not mine....but it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to hear anyone say that. It's flawed as hell. But the flaws mean little to me in comparison to what works. I was actually kinda let down by it upon exiting the theater after seeing it first time in 2012 but it has grown on me TREMENDOUSLY. Also has one of my favorite film scores as well..
Of the four Returns is my favorite because its so damn weird.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
(06-22-2019, 12:05 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: I know it's been said (probably here and elsewhere), but it's true:  BATMAN RETURNS is a pretty great Tim Burton movie; it is not a particularly great Batman movie.

You nailed it. That's really my one issue with the film (apart from DeVito's grating voice)
Returns is, as noted, Burton at his most self-indulgent, begging sympathy for his grotesque misfit villain. It's also particularly mean-spirited-- I'm thinking of the treatment of the Winter Queen but also Catwoman here. But it's the best-looking of the four-- someone figured out how to light all that black stuff, which just looked flat, gray and rubbery in the first film but looks deep and glossy here-- the cinematographer said he lit Catwoman "like a car", which I find hilarious for some reason.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I love the "dark Christmas" flavor of BATMAN RETURNS' look, though I do agree that Gotham City feels much smaller there than in BATMAN.

BATMAN's Gotham is a heightened place, certainly, but it's playing things mostly straight. RETURNS goes much farther into twisted fairy tale/fantasy areas with the city. The way the look of Wayne Manor changes between films is particularly noteworthy in this regard.
Judas is also right that B&R is significantly easier to look at than FOREVER. Conceptually, there is nothing wrong with the idea of turning from Burton's gothic sensibilities toward a goofier, more colorful take that harkens back to the Adam West show. The problem is that FOREVER's version of "colorful" looks like neon puke.
TLJ and Jim Carrey are just horrendous togther. Truly some of the worst performances in mainstream cinema.
You know not of which you speak!

I would love to see prime Kilmer in a good Batman movie.
I don't like the eyeholes in Kilmer's costume. Makes him look like a dang raccoon. 

[Image: 003_Kilmer_1995_1.jpg]
(06-22-2019, 12:11 PM)atomtastic Wrote: TLJ and Jim Carrey are just horrendous togther. Truly some of the worst performances in mainstream cinema.

atomtastic cannot sanction their buffoonery.

(06-22-2019, 01:27 PM)atomtastic Wrote: I don't like the eyeholes in Kilmer's costume. Makes him look like a dang raccoon. 

[Image: 003_Kilmer_1995_1.jpg]

But do you like the thircuth?
I dunno. TLJ Two-Face does have one part that to this day makes me laugh. It's when Batman is chasing Two Face and his minions to the elevator as they're fleeing Riddler's soirée and TF looks back at Batman and makes this laugh/noise like "HEE HYAH!" and then when he's in the elevator and the doors are closing he let's out a more exaggerated one like "HEEeee HYAhhhh!" Like "HEE HEE, I'M GETTING AWAY." That cracks me up STILL, even now..
The only part of TLJ and Carrey together that I like is when Riddler says to TF, "If you keep picking at that, it's never going to heal."
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I was nuts about "Batman Forever" when it came out and still like it for nostalgia's sake. That said, I tried revisiting "Batman & Robin" a couple years ago to see if it's really as bad as its reputation suggests, and I died about halfway through.

I've been dead all this time.
I've come to peace with them as comedies, but Forever feels sloppier and more tonally inconsistent. At least you know what you're going into with Batman & Robin.

This has been a wild week of screenings, including two nights of John Woo Q&A's (special guest star Nooj!).

The Shining - 4K restoration debut. It's not my favorite Kubrick anymore, and I'd probably say The Dead Zone is my preferred horror King film, but it still has its place in my heart. FYI - the work they did on the movie is in the same caliber as Alien or Blade Runner in terms of restorations.

Once Upon a Time in the West - Impulse New Bev trip with a friend. This is one of those movies that makes you forget your existence. Leone's visuals are so magnetic you get lost in the movie. Still the best Western of all time IMO.

Hard Boiled - I saw this theatrically last year. Nothing's changed. One thing I did pick up on that became a point of comedy: the climax is not only absurdly similar to Die Hard, there's so much of T2 in terms of the inner workings of the hospital, the gun in the rose box, even the way it's filmed.

Face/Off - This is my favorite movie of all time, to a point that it gets bumped up beyond my normal top ten list. This was one of the movies that changed my existence when I saw it theatrically in '97. IMO the action movie of the 90's and, barring maybe Hard Target, the only American Woo that would play out the same in Hong Kong.

The Killer - Years later, the character development in this might push it over Hard Boiled for me. Also fitting that I watched this the same week as Once Upon a Time in the West theatrically. So many parallels in the plot, not to mention Chow Yun-Fat and the harmonica.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(06-23-2019, 06:02 AM)huntertarantino Wrote: The Shining - 4K restoration debut. It's not my favorite Kubrick anymore, and I'd probably say The Dead Zone is my preferred horror King film, but it still has its place in my heart. FYI - the work they did on the movie is in the same caliber as Alien or Blade Runner in terms of restorations.

Please tell me they didn't mess with the color timing!
(06-23-2019, 10:47 AM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 06:02 AM)huntertarantino Wrote: The Shining - 4K restoration debut. It's not my favorite Kubrick anymore, and I'd probably say The Dead Zone is my preferred horror King film, but it still has its place in my heart. FYI - the work they did on the movie is in the same caliber as Alien or Blade Runner in terms of restorations.

Please tell me they didn't mess with the color timing!

They didn’t. A friend of mine that was there flipped when he saw that the tennis ball was green.

The only one thing that really ticked me off: it opens not with the modern WB logo, not the original Saul Bass logo, but the static 90’s Warner logo complete with “A Time Warner Entertainment Company.”   That dragged me out of element for a few seconds.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Yeah, I wish studios wouldn't mess with those old logos. Paramount's done it with THE GODFATHER movies, too.
(06-23-2019, 06:18 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Yeah, I wish studios wouldn't mess with those old logos.  Paramount's done it with THE GODFATHER movies, too.

And shit like that is why I still have trust in 35mm prints.