Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stranger Things: Season Two (Netflix) discussion brought to you by Overlord
AAnd done. It was a holiday here on chile, had the house to myself, so it was a binge watch.
Absolutely great, and exactly the kind of step up while not loosing focus that the show needed to do after the first season; it expands the mysteries while having a central narrative for the season, but the plot lines are kept open.
The wait for the next season is going to be hell.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

And done. It was a holiday here on chile, had the house to myself, so it was a binge watch.
Absolutely great, and exactly the kind of step up while not loosing focus that the show needed to do after the first season; it expands the mysteries while having a central narrative for the season, but the plot lines are kept open.
The wait for the next season is going to be hell.

Hurray!!!!

Just finished it.  Liked it a lot, didn't love it.  Some very mild spoilery impressions to follow, but nothing super specific.  Still, to be safe, they are hidden...

The good?  Everything involving Will - and the things that spun out from what he was going through - was absolute gold.  Totally engrossing, upsetting, and emotional stuff.

There’s a scene near the end of the 8th episode where Joyce, Jonathan, and Mike try to get a reaction from Will, and it’s one of the best sequences of the season.  All the performers involved absolutely aced that one.

All of the new characters this year are great.  I've already praised Astin and Reiser (and I love the way the showrunners clearly know what we're expecting from Reiser), but Dacre Montgomery as Billy and Sadie Sink as Max bring a fresh feel to the show.  Billy might be the greatest Stephen King asshole teen that Stephen King never wrote, while Max's "take no bullshit" attitude provides a fun addition to the dynamics of the core group of kids.

I also really liked (with one big exception) the way that the show broke apart the characters into groups sort of involved in their own mini-stories before bringing everything together for the final couple of episodes.

The big exception pertains to Eleven.  As much as I thought Will’s storyline was basically a home run, I felt Eleven’s storyline ended up being almost a total bust...

She spends solidly 8/9ths of the season pretty much outside of the primary narrative action.  I’m sure the Duffers were hoping that we’d be invested her backstory (because that gets A LOT of screentime), but I pretty much didn’t like any of it!  I spent most of her scenes (extremely well acted by Millie Bobby Brown though they are) wishing the show would just get Eleven back with the boys and the rest of the main cast again.  Her material was drawn out and prolonged beyond all reason.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the way the Nancy/Jonathan/Steve "thing" was handled...

Jonathan and Nancy spend most of the season together on their own side mission, and I think a lot of tension gets sucked out of their subplot because of certain story decisions made.

But there is a positive side effect:  having the two characters together for so much of the season allowed the Duffers to make the decision to connect Steve with the kids, which I think was a near-brilliant move.  His total willingness to help them - at the risk of his own safety - shows that he’s even more of a standup guy than I already thought he was.  And playing off the kids allows him to be pretty damn funny, too.  I still like you, Jonathan, but I’m solidly Team Steve now.

The season wraps up in a mostly satisfying (if perhaps too "neat" and saccharine) way, and with a final stinger that implies the Duffers have much more mayhem in store for season three.

AI just finished the first episode.

I swear I thought it was Patton Oswalt, not Sean Astin, when he first showed up.

Work sucks right now so not sure when I will finish but I will do my best.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcjsavannah View Post

I just finished the first episode.

I swear I thought it was Patton Oswalt, not Sean Astin, when he first showed up.

Work sucks right now so not sure when I will finish but I will do my best.

Don't rush it.  I decided to do the binge thing for the first time ever, and I believe I would have enjoyed the season a bit more had I spaced it out over a few days.  Just my experience, anyway.

I just started up episode 4, and that's going to be it for tonight, even though I'm planning to stay up a bit longer. I pretty much did the same thing last summer. Split it into about 4 episodes and marathoned it in 2 days. I think that will work out better rather than seeing how far I can get tonight before I fall asleep.

Great stuff so far. I'm enjoying the new season so far even though I have a lot of the same issues that others are having. I'm totally Team Steve. I mean I was Team Steve back at the end of season one when he came in wielding the bat, but it's even more solidified for me now. I just wish there was more Paul Reiser. He's been used sparingly in these first few episodes.

Five episodes in. Team Steve. No question.

This subplot on Nancy's guilt about Barb is their way of playing into the Internet obsession (which... I never understood and exactly why I can't stand what the Internet chooses to collectively hype). Similar to how Batman vs. Superman was an answer to the Internet's criticisms of Man of Steel's third act. Take away the "Justice for Barb" bullshit and this wouldn't have been Nancy's arc this season.

You guys haven't even gotten to the best Steve stuff yet.  Your stance will be solidified!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post

This subplot on Nancy's guilt about Barb is their way of playing into the Internet obsession (which... I never understood and exactly why I can't stand what the Internet chooses to collectively hype). Similar to how Batman vs. Superman was an answer to the Internet's criticisms of Man of Steel's third act. Take away the "Justice for Barb" bullshit and this wouldn't have been Nancy's arc this season.

Yeah, it's a very referential, meta thing.

I can appreciate the way it's something that motivates Nancy, but I think her desire to get what happened out there into the public sphere - knowing that it puts her and her family in danger - strains credulity a bit.  And it also keeps her and Jonathan away from the primary narrative for (I'd argue) too long.

I just finished episode 6 and I too am too team Steve. Its slower paced than last season, but still awesome! If I didn't have to be up early I would finish off the whole season.

I'm pleasantly surprised Paul Riser isn't playing a creep. I assumed it was a reference to Aliens that the nice guy / new face of the company must be a bad guy. I was surpised that he is concerned for Will.

I'm digging all the needle drops. My favorite was

Queen Hammer to Fall. Yeah Shout at the Devil was cool, but if you have Sirius XM you can hear that anytime. Hammer to Fall is quite a deep cut, but not something you hear often.

One minor complaint.

At the Halloween party, Jonathon thought that girl was someone from Kiss when she was clearly Siouxsie as in Siouxsie and the Banshees. A punker/new wave like Jonathon would know that.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

I'm pleasantly surprised Paul Riser isn't playing a creep. I assumed it was a reference to Aliens that the nice guy / new face of the company must be a bad guy. I was surpised that he is concerned for Will.

I found this really refreshing, too, especially in contrast to the character that filled the similar function in the last season.

Quote:

I'm digging all the needle drops. My favorite was

Queen Hammer to Fall. Yeah Shout at the Devil was cool, but if you have Sirius XM you can hear that anytime. Hammer to Fall is quite a deep cut, but not something you hear often.

It was my favorite, too.  Love that song.  But all the drops (after some pretty on-the-nose ones in the first episode) were pretty terrific.  Their music licensing budget must have been even higher than in season one.

Quote:

One minor complaint.

At the Halloween party, Jonathon thought that girl was someone from Kiss when she was clearly Siouxsie as in Siouxsie and the Banshees. A punker/new wave like Jonathon would know that.

Yup.  He wasn't drinking, so there's really no excuse for that mistake.

It's needle-drop OD; they're really interrupting the flow of the show for me.

AOnly 2 episodes in. That’s about my limit in one sitting. Liking everything so far. The creepiness is just right.

I think the needle drops were a bit excessive in episode 1.

I already like Reiser better than I liked Modine in S1.

Love Hoppers arraignment. And to steal from the Americans thread...Poor Steve.

http://cdn.chud.com/1/1a/1a8f2841_WoodwardRealEstate.jpeg

AWow. They managed to out-douche Steve.

Ep 3. Loving the Lovecraftian stylings
A[quote name="Tomas Mejor" url="/community/t/159081/stranger-things-season-two-netflix-discussion-brought-to-you-by-overlord/180#post_4391634"]Yup.  He wasn't drinking, so there's really no excuse for that mistake.[/quote]

I chalk it up to him being in an uncomfortable environment and an unfamiliar social situation. He was frazzled and had a brain fart.

I hadn't intended to run the whole thing, but there I was near midnight with only two episodes to go and figured I might as well push on. I loved it. Of course nothing can match the joy of watching the Duffers pull this off the first time, but I thought this was a very assured expansion of the first season.
AThe ‘KISS’ thing was a mistake. In 1984, KISS was at one of their lowest points commercially and they hadn’t been using their makeup for 2 albums. They had a hit in 1984 with ‘Heaven’s On Fire’ but that’s about it. They were many, many years away from being relevant again.

Siouxsie and the Banshees? They were arguably at their peak, so yeah...Jonathan should have gotten that right.

It’s nitpicking, ain’t it?

Putting Steve with the kids was amazing. We got to see that even though he can be a little rough around the edges on some things he is a good guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

The ‘KISS’ thing was a mistake. In 1984, KISS was at one of their lowest points commercially and they hadn’t been using their makeup for 2 albums. They had a hit in 1984 with ‘Heaven’s On Fire’ but that’s about it. They were many, many years away from being relevant again.

Siouxsie and the Banshees? They were arguably at their peak, so yeah...Jonathan should have gotten that right.

Completely agreed with this - both in that Jonathan should've known that (especially with what we know about his musical tastes) and it's a nitpick (but I thought the exact same thing, JB).

I'm only two episodes in and wondering if my biggest nitpick from last season - calling individual sessions or adventures in D&D "campaigns," which is wholly inaccurate - is fixed this run, or if the game simply doesn't figure into the show this season.

Well Jesus, if we're going to obsess over a single throwaway line in an hour long premiere, I'm outta here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

The ‘KISS’ thing was a mistake. In 1984, KISS was at one of their lowest points commercially and they hadn’t been using their makeup for 2 albums. They had a hit in 1984 with ‘Heaven’s On Fire’ but that’s about it. They were many, many years away from being relevant again.

"Nitpicking" and "KISS" in the same sentence gets you a meeting with Jack Johnson and Tom O'Leary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMonkeyDeluxeS View Post

Putting Steve with the kids was amazing. We got to see that even though he can be a little rough around the edges on some things he is a good guy.

Sure but we got that with season one. It was a great turn-around on the 80's "asshole boyfriend" arch-type to actually be a good guy. We are already predisposed to like him now and judging by the reactions so far (in this forum), nobody seems to have any sympathy for Nancy and her bullshit. But from what I've seen (We stopped at Episode 6 early this morning), the show doesn't seem to think she's in the wrong.

I don't think the show is trying to say *anyone* is wrong.  It's saying teenagers do stupid shit because they're not emotionally prepared for a lot of this stuff.

And honestly, Steve's big takeaway from Nancy's "My best friend is dead and I can't even tell her parents the truth and this is all bullshit!" being, "Wait, loving me is bullshit"?  Kind of a dick move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

And honestly, Steve's big takeaway from Nancy's "My best friend is dead and I can't even tell her parents the truth and this is all bullshit!" being, "Wait, loving me is bullshit"?  Kind of a dick move.

Kind of, but Steve also knows that what Nancy wants to do is basically totally irrational within the confines of what the show set-up in terms of looming consequences for talking.  And he's not wrong.  To him, telling the truth is not even in the realm of the possible, so of course he's going to focus on the angle he at least has some control over: his relationship with Nancy.

And I don't suddenly hate Nancy, or something.  I just wasn't a huge fan of what they did with her.  I also think they missed an opportunity to...

... put her together with Mike for more than a few perfunctory shots.  The end of last season sort of implied that there was a renewed brother/sister bond, but in this season I don't think they have any dialogue exchanges after the "stealing the change" bit from the first episode.

I mean, at the end, Nancy gets a more meaningful (and very sweet) exchange with one of the other kids instead of her own brother!
Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

Completely agreed with this - both in that Jonathan should've known that (especially with what we know about his musical tastes) and it's a nitpick (but I thought the exact same thing, JB).

I'm only two episodes in and wondering if my biggest nitpick from last season - calling individual sessions or adventures in D&D "campaigns," which is wholly inaccurate - is fixed this run, or if the game simply doesn't figure into the show this season.

But Duran Duran.

amirite?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

But Duran Duran.

amirite?

If it's 1984, then Yes and The Police should also be in the soundtrack mix.  Maybe they are...I've only made it through episode 3 so far.

But what about in 1985 Dublin?

MM?

What about it?

So eventually I'll get around to seeing this, it's just that right now the hype is too annoying for me to deal.  You'd think this show was the second coming of Christ... it's a good show that had an uneven first season, that's it.  The massive geek nostalgia element seemed to prop this up higher than it deserved, and hammered home everything I hate about that "movement".  The show seemed to take on a life of its own that had little to do with the actual content and more to do with people's inability to stop living in the past.

Apologies.  As I've gotten older, it's gotten harder for me to deal with hype because it really gets in the way of my ability to watch stuff and give it the chance it deserves to win me over.  I can't do that when the fanboy jizz factor is in the full swing.  By the way, I'm not talking about anyone here, just social media and the general public.  I really do want to like this new season, but Jesus Christ do I need some distance before I can do that.

-Old Man Ambler

AI'm three episodes in. It's fucking great but the constant barrage of 80s pop hits would make your head explode, Ambler.
Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

I'm three episodes in. It's fucking great but the constant barrage of 80s pop hits would make your head explode, Ambler.

Same, I'm three episodes in.  the 80s songs aren't bothering me because I was the same age as Mike and the gang during that time period.  I remember it well, and the nostalgia bomb over the music and the Easter Eggs (loved the commercial for THE TERMINATOR, and I'm laughing at all of the 'Reagan/Bush '84' signs) is actually filling me with joy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Well Jesus, if we're going to obsess over a single throwaway line in an hour long premiere, I'm outta here.

I'm not obsessing! Just a minor nitpick. I really dig the show and appreciate the pains they go to for being accurate for the actual year the story takes place in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

But Duran Duran.

amirite?

ASo, is Dart what I think he is?

He's gots to be what I think he is.
AFuck. Need to stop playing the game. It's just dumped a massive spoiler on me Sad
A[quote name="D.T." url="/community/t/159081/stranger-things-season-two-netflix-discussion-brought-to-you-by-overlord/180#post_4391781"]I'm three episodes in. It's fucking great but the constant barrage of 80s pop hits would make your head explode, Ambler.[/quote]

I think on Episode 5... and it’s starting to get on my nerves how frequent the songs are. But this show doesn’t have the hook like it did last season. I guess we have the shadow monster and what is its deal, but even by this show’s standards, it’s dragging for me and I can’t bring myself to be too compelled with what’s going on.
ABtw, does Joyce care about her other son? He just wanders off for days with Nancy, and it’s like he doesn’t exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

Btw, does Joyce care about her other son? He just wanders off for days with Nancy, and it’s like he doesn’t exist.

Jonathon is a responsible, almost-adult and, you know...

WILL IS POSSESSED/INFECTED WITH A SENTIENT EVIL NETHER APOCALYPSE MONSTER VIRUS!  FIX MA BOY!!!