Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armando Iannucci’s STALIN
AIf Bond 25 can have a premature thread, so can this. Love the cast: Jason Isaacs, Steve Buscemi, Simon Russell Beale, Rupert Friend, Michael Palin, and Jeffrey Tambor.

[Image: 800]

http://variety.com/2017/film/global/berl...201985612/

Sounds amazing. Iannucci's satire is more necessary than ever.

Speaking of which, with Peter Capaldi leaving Doctor Who, how about a new The Thick of It special?  I need to know how Malcolm Tucker fits into a world of Brexit and Trump.

AI can't wait for this.
AMichael. Palin. In an Ianucci film.

This is going to be incredible.
Awhat a cast!
Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Sounds amazing. Iannucci's satire is more necessary than ever.

Speaking of which, with Peter Capaldi leaving Doctor Who, how about a new The Thick of It special?  I need to know how Malcolm Tucker fits into a world of Brexit and Trump.

He's said repeatedly he's kinda done with it all, the real world has basically eclipsed the entire idea of satire at this point. And to be honest, I don't think I disagree. Whatever happens in, say, a new series of Veep is gonna feel like small fry when you've got the actual crazier and scarier shit occurring in the White House right now.

Yeah, Thick Of It was very much a product of the Blair and immediately post-Blair era. The Brexit/Trump era is its own mad beast. Satirists are going to have to retreat to their underground comedy research laboratories and do some serious R&D on how to tackle it.

A[quote name="Paul C" url="/community/t/159097/armando-iannucci-s-stalin#post_4235210"]Satirists are going to have to retreat to their underground comedy research laboratories and do some serious R&D on how to tackle it.
[/quote]
Only way is to go full-on apocalyptic nihilism.

Marry STRANGELOVE with WOLF OF WALL STREET and NETWORK and you're most of the way there.

So this is based on a graphic novel - The Death of Stalin - which just came out this week. Having read it, looks like the film will be centered around the jockeying for power between Beria (played by Simon Russell Beale) and Krushchev (Steve Buscemi) during Stalin's last coma and the months after his death, with critical roles being played by Malenkov (Jeffrey Tambor), Molotov (Michael Palin), and Stalin's children (Andrea Riseborough and Rupert Friend).

The graphic novel's a terrific read, incidentally. Looks like we're in for a serious treat when this comces out.

We have a poster (and reason to change the thread title):

It makes for a nice companion piece to IN THE LOOP:

ATrailer! Can't wait.

https://twitter.com/HelenLOHara/status/8...8800325632
A[quote name="Bluelouboyle" url="/community/t/159097/armando-iannucci-s-stalin#post_4340102"]Trailer! Can't wait.

https://twitter.com/HelenLOHara/status/8...8800325632[/quote]

Good times!

Looks funny but I wish they all had Russian accents. I could accept them using their own accents but then Isaacs is using a comedy British accent that's clearly not his own and..... I should probably stop over-thinking this.

LOOKS FUNNY!

ALooks great. Dynamite cast.

Oh... that looks fantastic. Buscemi is playing Kruschev?  I am really impressed. Just from the trailer, the physical transformation looks good.  In my head, I always see Bob Hoskins in Enemy at the Gate as Kruschev.

Holy shit. This looks fantastic and hilarious.

Also, if this opens here in Chile, there is going to be an absolute shitstorm.

Looks great!  I really enjoyed "In the Loop".

This is how you instantly make a movie my most anticipated of the year.

I'd watch anything Iannucci does at this point but in addition to the big names, Rupert Friend! Andrea Risenborough! I love those guys.

Have watched the trailer like, five times at this point. Everyone just looks on their fuckin' A-game. Tambor's amazing timing on "What I meant was no." :vaguegestures: "Problem." Isaacs' ridiculous accent (the real Georgy Zhukov was described as having an accent halfway between George Formby and an Eastern European dictator) and cackling at "THE LOOK ON YOUR FOOKIN' FACE!". Buscemi's transformation into Krushchev, Palin returning from a 20-year-jaunt in the wilderness, Friend's hysterical delivery in the hockey scene ("Hit it!"), and then at the last second Paddy Considine sweeps in with an absolutely perfect line delivery and reaction shot.

Calling it: this will be the comedy of the year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

Isaacs' ridiculous accent (the real Georgy Zhukov was described as having an accent halfway between George Formby and an Eastern European dictator)

Really?! That's so weird.

Wow, that looks really good. Now, to temper my expectations. But considering Ianucci's excellent track record, that's going to be difficult.

ABought and read the graphic novel that inspired this yesterday.
It's much darker and serious than the trailer and what the movie seems to be going for, but an amazing read.
AThere's a graphic novel?

[Image: 800]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

There's a graphic novel?

Yeah. Its very good, but not a comedy at all.

Yeah, the graphic novel is fantastic.

And so, it sounds like, is this. Five star all-out rave from The Guardian, and it sounds like Simon Russell Beale has his film equivalent of a "Rylance in Bridge of Spies"-esque "great British theater actor FINALLY getting the movie breakout he deserves": https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/se..._b-gdnfilm

AYup, raves at TIFF. And the after party, which is happening literally right now, sounds fun. Russian themed and an open bar:

https://twitter.com/adambenzine/status/9...2927892480

Really glad to hear that this a success. It seems like everything Iannucci touches turns to comedy gold.

I'm kind of ashamed I still haven't seen VEEP.

Especially since I love all his other stuff. And the trailer for this is just all kinds of amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codename View Post

I'm kind of ashamed I still haven't seen VEEP.

Sadly, you might find it a bit quaint now that the Trumpocalypse has begun. Still worth a watch, though.

Veep is hilarious, mostly for the oneliners which are razor-sharp. But I co-sign the quaint thing - the characters are all awful and yet they somehow come across as more competent and less venal than the ones who occupy the whitehouse right now.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!

Kermode says it works well as a comedy because it also plays up the horror of the situation, which is kind of what I want to hear. Make me chuckle but also make me afraid that a character I like could be executed at any moment!

Ugh. Seems like this is not coming out until 2018 in the US. Welp, guess it has to be my most anticipated of 2018 rather than 2017.

Hah, this is being released in Russa in January.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ru...m=referral

HOLY SHIT WAS THIS GREAT.

I know we are only in March but this is absolutely Best of the Year material (except in the UK, because it came out over there last year).

I can't get over how deftly it shifts from outright hilarity and disturbjng, heartbreaking horror without ever being jarring.

Needless to say, this is also probably the finest ensemble of the last few years. No character is superfluous and every single performer is flawless. That said, the film wholly belongs to Simon Russell Beale who is, undoubtedly, better than ALL NOMINEES for Supporting Actor in this year's Oscars. It's one of those "Oh my god" performances, not unlike those of Peter Capaldi and Julia Louis-Dreyfus in their Iannucci projects.

It's an incredibly depressing comedy that is also unbelievably timely (seriously, this is the Trump administration if they were smart) and horrifyingly harsh about the terror that was the Stalin regime and the chaos that its aftermath was - especially to the people that had no power in it.

It's masterful, hilarious, harrowing stuff.