Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen King's CASTLE ROCK on HULU
Critics who've seen at least 6 or 7 say it's worth sticking through the slow start.
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
I guess I'm just insane, because I'm still enjoying this show. Seems like I'm the only one! That last segment in the prison security cameras was highly effective, especially after all the mass shootings we've had to endure as of late.

Slow =/= Boring.
-The Dexter Morgan of Assholes
Being nuts for Stephen King, I'm certainly watching this all the way through, but it seems like I'll likely remain on the outside. It's just not working for me in the way it is for the reviews I'm reading. The mystery is fine, the acting is good, but I've got no stake at all in anyone. I was hoping for something near the quality of Fargo but with a King vibe rather than Coens, but this is more in line with what I expect from 90s Stephen King TV adaptations, with a fresh coat of Bad Robot paint.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I thought the final scene of this last episode, the one set to Roy Orbison's "Crying," was pretty fantastic. But the whole thing has felt a little distant so far. Maybe I'm just trying too hard to read the connections.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
There's been bits that work - the final scene was fantastic - but in general this is too all over the place and borrows from too many sources. There's a psychic like a Carrie, a guy who gives you cancer and/or worms into your mind (shades of Green Mile and Firestarter), a twenty year old disappearance, a possible Pet Semetary... Stephen King books usually have a hook but if pressed I don't think I could even tell what this show is actually about.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(08-03-2018, 04:44 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I thought the final scene of this last episode, the one set to Roy Orbison's "Crying," was pretty fantastic. But the whole thing has felt a little distant so far. Maybe I'm just trying too hard to read the connections.
"Distant" is a good word to describe it. Scenes are fine moment to moment, but it doesn't add up to much.

This reminds me a little of the Netflix show BLOODLINE, a show which also had an extraordinary cast that never seemed to get out of first gear. On the bright side, unlike BLOODLINE, the protagonist isn't muttering "We're good people but we did a bad thing" every 10 minutes.
I got halfway through the first ep. It was either mumblecore that I couldn't hear over my A/C or HOLY FUCK TURN DOWN THE VOLUME!!
Episode 7 is easily the best episode so far. If I had cared about episodes 1 through 6, I would have really loved it.

I'm out.
Yeah I'm with you there. It would have been a lovely episode if it had come in the middle of a show that I cared about or even halfway understood.
I've tried 3 episodes.
Its not catching me. I dont know if it's the characters are maybe the entire mystery box plot.
Maybe it's because I also watching Sharp Objects and every character from both shows needs to go to Disney World or something.
I'm watching mainly as a longtime King fan. There's enough here to keep me interested but yeah, it hasn't lived up to its potential except this last episode. I'm not thrilled with this season but glad it got renewed. There's lots of room to improve and be something special.
For such a great concept, this show is unbearably dull.
I'm glad I stuck around, this penultimate episode was the best one yet. This one actually made me want to re-watch the older ones, as it gives everything a whole new context.
9th episode was definitely the best of the lot.  The more I think of it, the more I like the finale.  Henry 2's behaviour definitely leans to "evil" but there's just enough doubt there to question Henry Prime's actions.   

I'm hoping next season does not follow these characters and we get a whole new story in a whole different era in Castle Rock.  If there has to be connective tissue, let it be Pangborn.  Kinda done with the Deavers.
This felt like the longest 1st act ever. There were a handful of aspects I liked but I'm not sure how on board I am for a second season.
What the fuck was any of that?
The post credit scene indicated that we may be visiting a certain hotel....

The finale wasn't on par with the episode that preceded it, but I'm curious enough to see where they take it next season.
That finale was disappointing on all levels.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
(09-12-2018, 10:36 AM)ChrisW Wrote: 9th episode was definitely the best of the lot.  The more I think of it, the more I like the finale.  Henry 2's behaviour definitely leans to "evil" but there's just enough doubt there to question Henry Prime's actions.
Sure but if he is evil and that whole backstory was a lie then what did he want to do in the woods with Henry? What is Henry's hearing thing if it has nothing to do with opening a door or whatever? And who stabbed that guy in the eye? It's ok for things to be ambiguous and for there to be questions but this one felt a little more like they just kinda shrugged their shoulders and came up with an ending. And yet somehow it still works thematically.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina