Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 1980s Arcade - Movies, Music, Video Games, TV, Ephemera
So this place just opened up downtown:  good to see some of the old classics back in action.

You know, some don't like the whole retro 80s synthwave thing.  But I think it's a dream com truise.

Hey-oooooo!

Somebody on the radio was talking about 80s movies and said they had never seen "Gotcha!". I remember going to see that in the theater. It was the era of movies where guys unknowingly got involved with some kind of Russian plot.
Didn't see GOTCHA 'til it hit VHS but enjoyed it. I saw this before VISION QUEST, so it was my first Linda Fiorentino film, too.
Thinking of revisiting lots of the 80's Cold War themed stuff like this, RUSSKIES, LITTLE NIKITA, ROCKY IV, WHITE NIGHTS, THE EXPERTS.
Little Nikita is full of great performances. I had it on VHS back in the day and ran it ragged.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

The Experts is surprisingly fun. It looked like a terrible throwaway movie that Travolta did as career arc 1 was spiraling down. But with Arye Gross (an unsung hero of the 80s) and directed by Dave Thomas AND has Deborah Foreman, how can you miss?
Universal is rereleasing some of their catalog in classic 80's VHS packaging:

Having a great talk with pals about old-school cable television...

TV in 1985: "World Premiere Video by John Cougar Mellencamp tonight at 7pm!"

14-Year-Old-Me: OH SHIT GET OUT OF MY WAY I WAS BORN IN A SMALL TOWN TOO MUST WATCH DINNER YOU GO TO HELL!!

Pictured above: Not my house.
The trailer Netflix's The Dirt dropped today.
[video=youtube]http://[/video]
It does look good but after seeing Patrick Williams video essay I can't help but notice it seems to be following the music bio pic formula.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
https://arcade1up.com/products/star-wars-pre-order

Hmmm....dat price though. I would expect the sit-down version to maybe cost that much.

I was worried that this great thread had been deleted for some reason. Thankfully it hasn't since I enjoy scrolling through it once in awhile when i need a respite from the horrors of the modern world. Anyway, I had to share this: 

An incredibly faithful recreation of a place a lot of us in this thread spent hours in. I know we're spoiled with streaming and digital downloads nowadays but I still miss going to the video store.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(08-07-2019, 05:31 PM)Overlord Wrote: https://arcade1up.com/products/star-wars-pre-order

Hmmm....dat price though. I would expect the sit-down version to maybe cost that much.

I bought my wife a Galaga machine for $150 from WalMart (it's an Arcade1Up machine). It was a Black Friday deal. She loves it so much she told me it was the best gift I've ever gotten her in the 20+ years we've been married. Not sure how to take that. My cousin also bought a Galaga/Galaxian machine, Pac Man/Pac Man Plus, and Mortal Kombat/MKII/MK Ultimate.
(12-03-2019, 09:46 AM)martianman Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 05:31 PM)Overlord Wrote: https://arcade1up.com/products/star-wars-pre-order

Hmmm....dat price though.  I would expect the sit-down version to maybe cost that much.

I bought my wife a Galaga machine for $150 from WalMart (it's an Arcade1Up machine). It was a Black Friday deal. She loves it so much she told me it was the best gift I've ever gotten her in the 20+ years we've been married. Not sure how to take that. My cousin also bought a Galaga/Galaxian machine, Pac Man/Pac Man Plus, and Mortal Kombat/MKII/MK Ultimate.

150 a lot more doable than 500 ... for one game ...

Hey but it's "on sale" for $400 right now.
HOLY YIKES the new MITCH MURDER box set is a beauty.

(Image found online, I didn't buy it.  Sadly.)

Can't wait to see this...

And maybe these... three-part doc about midnight movies, horror, sci-fi and comedies called TIME WARP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctcnCvPJ...=emb_title
The corner of our guest room a couple of years ago.  My Museum of 80s...

Reposting, because it's basically summer here and this is awesome...

Haha! I just grabbed that PacMan Fever album a month or so ago. The Frogger song is one of the weirdest things I’ve ever heard, and might just be referring to something other than the game Smile
"It's no coincidence that Donald Trump and CUUUUUUUUNT have the same amount of letters" courtesy of Fraid

Always liked it I think the BERSERK song is my favorite
Seeing I won't be getting a PS5 right away I'm going to have a new niche handheld to play with in the meantime (next Wednesday). 

8/16 bit console goodness in cartridge form and I can't wait. Been watching the development of this thing for awhile and it's definitely a labor of retrogaming love from the developers. Not only old school titles but also indie ones as well. The two volume Atari Lynx collection looks ace!
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(05-29-2020, 04:32 PM)jonathan moxon Wrote: Haha! I just grabbed that PacMan Fever album a month or so ago. The Frogger song is one of the weirdest things I’ve ever heard, and might just be referring to something other than the game Smile

I still have mine from when I bought it back in the 80s. I love Do The Donkey Kong, Frogger, Berzerk, and of course Pac Man fever, but my favorite song is Hyperspace. Push on the button/And I'm back in the race!
There was a CD release, but strangely it was all new re-records of the original album.
So, depending on which one you can find, there might be a whole 'nother version to hear.
In continuing efforts to clean up the house, I pulled out the VCR last night and started going through old VHS tapes to make sure there was nothing "valuable" on them before I tossed them. I found 3 tapes where it's nothing but recordings from Headbanger's Ball, so that was basically 4 hours of my evening shot to hell and that was just finishing one tape. I also found recordings of Alf(!), FreakyLinks, Jeremiah, and my laserdisc "cut" of Back To the Future/Back To The Future II.
Man I used to have so many VCR tapes of headbangers ball. I also am pretty sure the real reason I spent too much paper route money to buy our family’s first VCR, was just to make sure I could record Dial MTV since I didn’t get home from school until after it aired. I gladly rewatched that Motley Crue Home Sweet Home video over and over! That VCR had a corded remote control as well, which was about the coolest thing I’d ever seen at that point.
"It's no coincidence that Donald Trump and CUUUUUUUUNT have the same amount of letters" courtesy of Fraid

Has anyone seen this yet?  I was just gifted blu-rays of SPLIT SECOND, BLOODFIGHT/IRONHEART and this thing.
It looks well-produced, yet obnoxious.  Hmmm....