Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 1980s Arcade - Movies, Music, Video Games, TV, Ephemera
I remember wandering our neighborhood collecting soda bottles to return for deposit and getting enough to buy two or three comics from the spinner rack at the local convenience store. Cover price was only 40 to 50 cents back then.
Just this guy, you know?
Last night, I read Simon Stalenhag's LABYRINTH (2021), his recent Kickstartered book.  While a bit less 80's and much less gee whiz than TALES FROM THE LOOP, THINGS FROM THE FLOOD and even THE ELECTRIC STATE, this new one still packs a punch...  Several, in fact. 

Leaning much more into the horror landscape here, you'll get a world not unlike several we've seen in classic films but with it's own dastardly spin on them all.  A few too many things are left unexplained or uninvestigated by the characters but the upside is that hopefully they'll be filled in, in a future volume much the same way FLOOD did for LOOP.  Make no mistake, though, this is Simon's darkest, heaviest work yet - think less open world and more claustrophobic, which probably resonates even more so in our current Covid-19 world, so those interested may need to strap in and be prepared.

Nobody will probably give a shit about this, but these Children's Favorites commercials have been embedded in my subconscious since childhood daze when they'd pop up when I'd be watching 'Lost In Space', 'Little Rascals' or whatever reruns on my Atlanta UHF station. This isn't quite the one that haunts me, but the closest thing I've found:

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Video 
I think I might've seen that ad.  That particular rendition of John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt sounds familiar.

Also, I'm not really big on fan edits but I kind of love this one, the understated teaser style...

Also, The Projection Booth Podcast has been killing it lately with episodes on...
TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A.
BRAZIL
THE BLUES BROTHERS
THE BILL & TED TRILOGY
WITHNAIL & I
HIGHLANDER
and a lot, lot more.
(02-15-2021, 12:32 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Nobody will probably give a shit about this, but these Children's Favorites commercials have been embedded in my subconscious since childhood daze when they'd pop up when I'd be watching 'Lost In Space', 'Little Rascals' or whatever reruns on my Atlanta UHF station. This isn't quite the one that haunts me, but the closest thing I've found:
I vaguely remember that one, but the one that's embedded in my head is the collection that features "On Top of Spaghetti" and "The Bear Went Over The Mountain."  I must have seen that one about 300 times circa 198182.
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
Yeah, that's the one!

So weird that I've never been able to find it online...

I remember seeing the one you posted. Those animations stuck in my head.
Just this guy, you know?
Oh GOD I remember those videos. Nice find, Elvis.
Was it a local UHF station with you guys? Just whirlwinds of weird and cool shit. It was a totally different world when they all died.

Yeah, probably UHF. In Boston it would've had to be WSBK-TV 38 or WLVI-TV 56
(02-16-2021, 12:35 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Was it a local UHF station with you guys? Just whirlwinds of weird and cool shit.  It was a totally different world when they all died.

In MN, we had channel 9, channel 29, and channel 45.  channel 29 had all of the cool stuff on it, like ROBOTECH and STAR BLAZERS.
As a West Coast Canadian kid I watched KSTW 11 along with KCPQ and KVOS out of Washington State for all the fun syndicated stuff.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
In Northern California we had KBHK (Robotech), KICU (Star Blazers), and KOFY (classic cartoons, Lil Rascals, Outer Limits).
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Is "Freedom Rock" from the late 80s the last one of those commercials with any sort of cultural footprint?
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
This commercial was iconic enough to be referenced in both SAY ANYTHING... and HOUSE PARTY. It would still pop up on BET  in the early 90's:

(02-16-2021, 02:24 AM)engineer Wrote: Also, I'm not really big on fan edits but I kind of love this one, the understated teaser style...

Someone needs to splice in scenes of Don Johnson yucking it up on Kenan.