Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Game Ideas (Or "Why the fuck haven't they made that?")

I'm sure we've all got a million ideas for games, or we wonder why no developers have made reality a clearly obvious idea for a great game. I thought it might be fun to share such ideas.

The idea I've been stuck on for the last several months is a Dungeons and Dragons style RPG using the Pokemon Go model as a base. Imagine creating a character, starting out unarmed and in rags and wandering around your neighborhood fighting goblins and such, finding new weapons and armor in a Diablo style loot system, collecting gold and leveling up as you walk and find new monsters to combat.

Then, instead of wandering out to stops or gyms, you walk to the nearest blacksmith to buy or upgrade your armor. Or walking to the shop to buy potions and power-ups for battle.

And instead of teaming up with other random players to bring down a gym, you team up to take down a dragon or ogre, or a dungeon of some kind (dungeons could be geographical locations like parks or malls) to score better loot and progress your character even more.

Second, why the hell haven't we gotten any Marvel Cinematic Universe movies? Imagine a killer multiplayer version of the Battle of New York, with each player taking on the role of a different Avenger, and teaming up to stop the Chitauri. Or assaulting Baron Strucker's castle, or any of a number of scenarios. The fact that the video games pretty much dried up with the one Iron Man game is a shame. I wonder why Marvel/Disney never made an attempt at the game market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Then, instead of wandering out to stops or gyms, you walk to the nearest blacksmith to buy or upgrade your armor. Or walking to the shop to buy potions and power-ups for battle.

In my household, this is code for "Going to the bar".

A[quote name="D.T." url="/community/t/159279/your-game-ideas-or-why-the-fuck-havent-they-made-that#post_4267888"]The idea I've been stuck on for the last several months is a Dungeons and Dragons style RPG using the Pokemon Go model as a base. Imagine creating a character, starting out unarmed and in rags and wandering around your neighborhood fighting goblins and such, finding new weapons and armor in a Diablo style loot system, collecting gold and leveling up as you walk and find new monsters to combat.

And instead of teaming up with other random players to bring down a gym, you team up to take down a dragon or ogre, or a dungeon of some kind (dungeons could be geographical locations like parks or malls) to score better loot and progress your character even more.[/quote]
So, Mazes & Monsters: The Game, then.

Anyway, I do this all the time. The problem is that, since I'm a programmer, they immediately turn into one more project on a mountain of projects, which is one reason that none of them ever get anywhere. (The other reason is that I'm a total slacker.) Various projects I've been scheming for years include:
  • An epic console-style RPG tossing Arthurian legend, 19th-century Atlantis mania, and vaguely cyberpunk techno-dystopia in a blender.
  • A TES-style sandbox RPG in a setting I've been working on for some time, shooting for an '80s cheapo fantasy mishmash vibe. Possibly with dynamic music.
  • A tactical RPG/strategy game about Paleolithic hominid tribes in Ice-Age Europe.
  • A Megaman-ey Metroidvania-ey sidescroller for Commodore 64, starring an alien who can hover ala Peach in SMB2.
Three guesses how much I've actually gotten done on any of these.

See, your problem is you need to give up on those and make my DnD Go game.

Games I'd like other people to make:

A Lucasarts point and click adventure in the Star Wars universe, with a visual style along the lines of The Dig. Obviously this is way too late in that neither Lucasarts nor my youthful enthusiasm for all things Star Wars really exist anymore, but if someone could make an approximation of this and send it back in time to the mid-90's my teenage self would much appreciate it, thanks in advance.

On a similar note, an Indiana Jones action adventure game that's a kind of marriage between the story, dialogue, investigation-driven style of Fate Of Atlantis and the runny jumpy punchy Tomb Raider antics of most of the other games. Something that matches the balance of the films, basically.

Games I'd like to make myself, if I had any programming ability which I regrettably don't:

A Game Dev Tycoon style game where you're a cigar chewing movie mogul. You start out with a certain amount of money, you have to pick a genre, develop a script (the more drafts you write the better the movie, but the more time and money you use up), pick what stars and production budget you can afford, try to find a release date where you're not competing with similar movies, hope you get good reviews and then see how much money you make. The more successful you get the bigger budgets you get to play with. By the end you're hopefully managing a-list packed Star Wars-style mega franchises.

A game where you're the manager of a hard partying 70's British rock band as you try to shepherd them from playing grotty clubs to breaking America. Along the way you have to arrange their tours and records, keep the band members happy, manage their drug addictions, send them to rehab when necessary, and navigate them through changes in style and fashion over the years. If you succeed they become legends, if you fail they're pathetic also-rans.

Gamers from a certain time and place may remember an old cult game by the name of Rock Star Ate My Hamster - it'd basically be an evolution of that.

Just to let you all know - I started my journey into coding apps last Friday.

I've literally zero coding or programming experience, but I want you all to know that when I've finally cracked coding in 2038 I'll be stealing all of your ideas and will become an overnight success enough to keep me in adult nappies.

Please keep your ideas coming.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Second, why the hell haven't we gotten any Marvel Cinematic Universe movies? Imagine a killer multiplayer version of the Battle of New York, with each player taking on the role of a different Avenger, and teaming up to stop the Chitauri. Or assaulting Baron Strucker's castle, or any of a number of scenarios. The fact that the video games pretty much dried up with the one Iron Man game is a shame. I wonder why Marvel/Disney never made an attempt at the game market.

The problem was that some developers had the licenses for several properties, I believe.

But Marvel recently announced they are teaming up with Square Enix (not the japanese SE, but the Eidos/Crystal Dynamics western branch) to make their official games:

AGrand Theft Auto: Gotham City

Im hoping that with the Switch being a portable local multiplayer console, someone finally develops this idea (or do it right):

-I would also love to see a Metal Gear Solid style infiltration/action game that was fully co-op; for example, one character attacking a zone or creating acts of sabotage would force enemies to relocate or change their patrolling/security level, allowing the other player to sneak in or infiltrate with more ease, and so on.

I'd be happy with a current gen recreation of the original Splinter Cell games from the early 00s, or a GTA:Vice City 2 with another great soundtrack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Grand Theft Auto: Gotham City

Yes. Where a five start wanted level has The Batman coming after your ass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul C View Post

On a similar note, an Indiana Jones action adventure game that's a kind of marriage between the story, dialogue, investigation-driven style of Fate Of Atlantis and the runny jumpy punchy Tomb Raider antics of most of the other games. Something that matches the balance of the films, basically.

I think you would really, really enjoy Uncharted 4 if you haven't played it already. It's fantastic, and has that Indy-style heart to it.

Quote:

Yes. Where a five start wanted level has The Batman coming after your ass.

And 3/4 will get you Batgirl/Nightwing.

You'd pretty much have to play as either the Joker or Penguin, starting off as a henchman yourself and grandually taking on more outlandish tasks as you eliminate and remove the Falcone/Maroni traditional mob.  I think the trouble would be that it's other criminals, not the cops, that function as the primary antagonists in a GTA game, so how do you incorporate Batman into that framework?  Are Batfans going to be satisfied with an entire Gotham game where the Man Himself is only a peripheral antagonist?  Or one that culminates in "you" actually killing him?  Could it be satisfying if the final mission just leads up to him kicking your ass and throwing you in Arkham?

Though I do like the idea of tooling around the Narrows while a little icon at Arkham Asylum indicating that Dr. Crane has a mission for me, or Nygma or Mad Hatter have one at their hideout by the docks.

I'd start the game having you play as a petty thief, and work your way up through the criminal underworld until you end up henching for some new villain or mob boss. Have missions be running up against other Gotham villains like the Joker, Penguin and others, fighting for turf and whatnot. Have Batman be a force of nature that only turns up in key moments of the story; otherwise, keep it street level and really explore the life of a thug working for a villain. Cool missions would be like hitting GCPD and taking out the Batsignal to delay Batman's arrival long enough to pull off a heist or something.

Multiplayer modes could have heists, turf wars, survival, and a mode where the Batsignal goes up in the sky and the last person/team to avoid getting caught by Batman or the Gotham City Police wins.

AYou pretty much read my mind. But only five stars at night brings the Batman. Imagine stealing the Batmobile or the Batwing. By the end of the game you're an actual supervillain..
A[quote name="Paul C" url="/community/t/159279/your-game-ideas-or-why-the-fuck-havent-they-made-that#post_4268309"]

Gamers from a certain time and place may remember an old cult game by the name of Rock Star Ate My Hamster - it'd basically be an evolution of that.
[/quote]

raises hand

Ideally the game would be developed by Rockstar's "Bully" team.
Quote:

I'd start the game having you play as a petty thief, and work your way up through the criminal underworld until you end up henching for some new villain or mob boss. Have missions be running up against other Gotham villains like the Joker, Penguin and others, fighting for turf and whatnot. Have Batman be a force of nature that only turns up in key moments of the story; otherwise, keep it street level and really explore the life of a thug working for a villain. Cool missions would be like hitting GCPD and taking out the Batsignal to delay Batman's arrival long enough to pull off a heist or something.

Multiplayer modes could have heists, turf wars, survival, and a mode where the Batsignal goes up in the sky and the last person/team to avoid getting caught by Batman or the Gotham City Police wins.

But can you do a satisfying GTA game where you're cut off from reaching the highest echelon of that criminal environ?   If you can't take out Batman or the Joker, and you can't be Batman or the Joker, won't that be frustrating on some level?

AA Kaiju RPG, where you play a kaiju of your own creation and evolve your monster through experience. Maybe some evolutions require exposure to elements in extreme environments, so that quest to customize your kaiju steers your rampages. Sometimes you fight the armed forces of human nations, and at certain chapter-ending benchmarks you defend the Earth from other monsters.

And the game's first iteration as a single player game will be the proof of concept to secure the funding for the MMO.
Please consider lending a hand if you can, or posting my gofundme link elsewhere in Social Media Land.

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=162311&pid=4721386#pid4721386

I might actually play Pokemon Go if at a certain stage of evolution, Pikachu would devour his human would-be overlord and start rampaging through Tokyo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

But can you do a satisfying GTA game where you're cut off from reaching the highest echelon of that criminal environ?   If you can't take out Batman or the Joker, and you can't be Batman or the Joker, won't that be frustrating on some level?

Gotham has been running for three season. If people will watch that piece of shit with no Batman or The Joker in sight for three years and say they like it, then I think people would buy into the idea of a well-done Gotham City sandbox game where Batman is kept at arm's length.

Quote:

Gotham has been running for three season. If people will watch that piece of shit with no Batman or The Joker in sight for three years and say they like it, then I think people would buy into the idea of a well-done Gotham City sandbox game where Batman is kept at arm's length.

Holy Lowered Expectations, Batman!

A[quote name="Reasor" url="/community/t/159279/your-game-ideas-or-why-the-fuck-havent-they-made-that#post_4268638"]A Kaiju RPG, where you play a kaiju of your own creation and evolve your monster through experience. Maybe some evolutions require exposure to elements in extreme environments, so that quest to customize your kaiju steers your rampages. Sometimes you fight the armed forces of human nations, and at certain chapter-ending benchmarks you defend the Earth from other monsters.

And the game's first iteration as a single player game will be the proof of concept to secure the funding for the MMO.[/quote]

Yes, because that worked so well for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning!
Actually, I like your idea, but I'd add it the element to the MMO of a human factionn that uses mechs as anti Kaiju weapons; hell, se it in a Voltron es que space conflict between a human/good alien federation and an evil empire, with the good guys using mechas and the bad guys kaijus.
Have different planets with diverse ecosystems and population as battlegrounds between the factions, add NPC enemies in the form of random monsters and rogue robots, and both battlegrounds events (war between armies of both factions) and raid events (say, a team of Kaijus attacking a federation base, or a team of mechs attacking an empire base, each with an omega level enemy that requires group tactics)
I'd play that.
AKingdoms of Amalur's problem was that Curt Schilling pissed away so much money hiring people like Todd McFarlane to do concept art, instead of people who work in the industry, that he went bankrupt just a few months after the product launched.
Please consider lending a hand if you can, or posting my gofundme link elsewhere in Social Media Land.

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=162311&pid=4721386#pid4721386
A...wait. They hired Todd McFarlane?

Like, voluntarily?

Give me my damned Doctor Who MMO. And, no, you can't start as a Time Lord. You're a Companion so choose your race and skills, and you're going to have to build enough experience points to unlock the Time Lord class. Until that point, you have to travel through time and space with either an NPC Time Lord or one of the players who have actually unlocked that class (forced grouping in an MMO? Ooooh yeah). I want lots of PVE stuff with dialogue options that give you the occasional chance to bypass combat as well as some sort of morality system where you get presented with choices that affect the world and your character (ala Star Wars: The Old Republic).

Oh and you better be careful with your Time Lord character once you unlock him or her because, after their first death, they regenerate and get a randomized appearance!

Any MMORPG where your decisions have impact and there is permadeath. Something on the lines of EVE meets DayZ, but Fantasy based.

You can disable PvP in open areas to avoid griefing, the head honchos organize events like Orc invasions, Civil Wars or the like, if they push too far forward, parts of the map change.

High levelled characters are inherently rare, and constantly being thrust into dangerous situations to update their gear and level. Your world contains Conans and Gandalfs, but they've got that way through work and they're at risk the whole time, constantly at the front of battles and events, backed up by companions and fellowships. The further you get through the game, the actual sense of risk/excitement is increased massively. PvP get their kicks in Gladiator arenas and the top dogs are always being gunned at by the younger ones. And you're not godlike in power, just a few shades more powerful. And if they lose, that's it, back to lvl1 for them.

I think something like that would change the dynamic of an MMORPG from a grindy endgame experience to something actually fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flint View Post

Any MMORPG where your decisions have impact and there is permadeath. Something on the lines of EVE meets DayZ, but Fantasy based.

You can disable PvP in open areas to avoid griefing, the head honchos organize events like Orc invasions, Civil Wars or the like, if they push too far forward, parts of the map change.

High levelled characters are inherently rare, and constantly being thrust into dangerous situations to update their gear and level. Your world contains Conans and Gandalfs, but they've got that way through work and they're at risk the whole time, constantly at the front of battles and events, backed up by companions and fellowships. The further you get through the game, the actual sense of risk/excitement is increased massively. PvP get their kicks in Gladiator arenas and the top dogs are always being gunned at by the younger ones. And you're not godlike in power, just a few shades more powerful. And if they lose, that's it, back to lvl1 for them.

I think something like that would change the dynamic of an MMORPG from a grindy endgame experience to something actually fun.

I like the concept, but...what happens the first time some unmedicated diehard commits suicide after their level 24 cleric is wiped by a freak critical hit?  Or sues Comcast because a 5 minute internet outage got a year of their "work" permanently eaten by wolves?

Yeah... it's a novel idea, but permadeath and MMORPGs just don't go together.

On a related note, I remember being super excited for Middle Earth Online when it was announced. The promises that the development team had made, the concept art and trailers released, the idea of being able to explore a detailed, lively and dangerous faithful open world recreation of all of Middle Earth got my nerdy heart racing. The idea that special loot would be rare and very dangerous to find, and in place of a generic loot system, there'd be a system where you'd become better and more adept at using the weapon of your choice, and new skills would be unlocked the longer you used your weapon sounded fucking cool. The idea of having a sword or bow that I always used and developed my own legend with, as opposed to dropping and swapping for every new weapon that came long, was really intriguing and a new approach to MMORPGs. It was going to be a unique sandbox experience.

Then, of course, the entire thing was scrapped and it was reworked multiple times into the bland, generic and ugly mess that was Lord of the Rings Online. Instead of an open world Middle Earth to explore, it became a series of small instances, and the walk from Hobbiton to Bree became literally a series of corridors. A generic loot system, a world that felt dead and claustrophobic, and held absolutely none of the spirit of the books or even the movies.

I wish the original game had been made, and I wish that MMORPGs in general would take more risks instead of just being revised clones of each other.

Yeah, I get the concept doesn't fit with the traditional style of MMORPG, but honestly, it's what keeps me away from the genre. I rarely get midgame in any one before they bore me. Once I reach the stage where it is just a grind with no real stakes I check out. I'd like the halfway house between a MOBA (where all the progression happens in one short round) and an MMORPG where you could carry the progression up but with a real risk. Yeah, internet outages could suck, but that's the risk.

Seriously, the only way people can be enticed into something like WoW these days is with a free 40 levels or a boost to get you to the mid level point, simply because everyone is top level dungeon grinding once they've played for three months. Seems futile to me.

Profitably futile, but still...

A[quote name="commodorejohn" url="/community/t/159279/your-game-ideas-or-why-the-fuck-havent-they-made-that#post_4268951"]...wait. They hired Todd McFarlane?

Like, voluntarily?[/quote]

Yeah, and R.A. Salvatore for the story. Maybe the story turned out good, but those D&D books (as much as I enjoyed them as a teen) are garbage.
Quote:

Originally Posted by flint View Post

Yeah, I get the concept doesn't fit with the traditional style of MMORPG, but honestly, it's what keeps me away from the genre. I rarely get midgame in any one before they bore me. Once I reach the stage where it is just a grind with no real stakes I check out. I'd like the halfway house between a MOBA (where all the progression happens in one short round) and an MMORPG where you could carry the progression up but with a real risk. Yeah, internet outages could suck, but that's the risk.

Seriously, the only way people can be enticed into something like WoW these days is with a free 40 levels or a boost to get you to the mid level point, simply because everyone is top level dungeon grinding once they've played for three months. Seems futile to me.

Profitably futile, but still...

I think there's a middle ground where death carries an actually severe penalty but isn't a complete reset.  I haven't played an MMORPG pretty much ever, but maybe something like you lose a level the first time you die, 2 levels the second, etc., etc.?

A[quote name="sirjonsnow" url="/community/t/159279/your-game-ideas-or-why-the-fuck-havent-they-made-that#post_4269447"][quote name="commodorejohn" url="/community/t/159279/your-game-ideas-or-why-the-fuck-havent-they-made-that#post_4268951"]...wait. They hired Todd McFarlane?

Like, voluntarily?[/quote]
Yeah, and R.A. Salvatore for the story. Maybe the story turned out good, but those D&D books (as much as I enjoyed them as a teen) are garbage.[/quote]
Hahaha, beautiful. The perfect combination of "writers for '90s teenage maladjusts."