Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Judge Dredd: Mega-City One" TV Show In Development
Quote:

Rebellion, which prints the character's stories in 2000 AD, is teaming up with studio IM Global to produce the "big-budget" series.

It is the first time the futuristic lawman's on-screen escapades are being overseen by the Oxford-based publisher.

Rebellion said development of the project, titled Judge Dredd: Mega-City One, has begun, with the cast to be announced at a later date.

The programme will be filmed in the UK, a spokesman said.

Jason and Chris Kingsley, the owners of Rebellion, said: "We're very excited to be beginning the journey to get more of Judge Dredd's Mega-City One on the television screen.

"Thanks to the legions of fans who have kept up pressure on social media, and a lot of background work and enthusiasm, we aim to make a big budget production that will satisfy both our vast comics audience and the even greater general screen-watching public."

Mark Stern, executive producer on the show, previously worked for the Syfy channel on Battlestar Galactica.

He described Dredd as "one of those seminal sci-fi properties that seems to only become and more relevant with age".

He added: "Not only is it a rich world with biting social commentary, but it's also fun as hell.

"As a fan of the comics and both films, it's a dream come true to be able to work with Jason and Chris in adapting this for television."

IM Global's previous productions include the Oscar-winning Hacksaw Ridge and Martin Scorsese's Silence.

God, please let this be decent. Please let them have the budget to do a decent Judge Death story!

Pleasedontsuckpleasedontsuck

Somebody get Karl Urban's agent on the phone RIGHT THIS SECOND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post

I hope it has an actual American cast but will gladly make an exception for this.

This also leads me to one of my biggest fears. I hope they resist the urge to have Dredd take his helmet off. We don't need to see his face, damnit.

But if he doesn't take his mask off, how can he have a love interest??

His love interest is JUSTICE!

I really hope this lives up to it's potential. If done right it could serve as a way to get the whole 2000AD on television.

Quote:

His love interest is JUSTICE!

There's the show's tag-line.

If they continue from what they did in DREDD then this show will be pretty awesome. There's so much great material to adapt as well.

I will not be surprised to see Urban return to play Dredd but if he's busy they will have to find someone else to scowl under that helmet.

I'm cautiously excited for this!

Put it on ABC and run with that amazing tagline they came up with for Batman Begins.

"JUDGE DREDD. HE FIGHTS FOR FAMILY...AND LIVES FOR LOVE!"

Great news.  I like that they acknowledge the terrific richness of the world.  They should be able to do great things with the excellent storylines Wagner has produced over the last decade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

If they continue from what they did in DREDD then this show will be pretty awesome.

From the announcement poster it seems like they're leaning towards going more comic accurate/like the first movie for the design. I have mixed feelings about that.

Quote:

Karl Urban will never do Network TV again. He found the filming schedules for ALMOST HUMAN too stressful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix View Post

Karl Urban will never do Network TV again. He found the filming schedules for ALMOST HUMAN too stressful.

Which is funny since he started out on a nightly soap opera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix View Post

He might make an exception for this.

That's what I'm hoping anyway.

APleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood

Would've been nice if IM Global had completed this announcement with the names of the writers and exec producer(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

He might make an exception for this.

That's what I'm hoping anyway.

He's always seemed like he appreciates his status as a minor nerd favourite. Star Trek's in limbo, so he might see this as a way to get a boost with that audience? You never know.

Just looked at his twitter and he retweeted the announcement of the show, with no comment...

I kinda hope this will be, as much as possible, a police procedural series in the vein of NYPD Blue or Law & Order, only set in a slightly more extreme environment. Minimal amount of exposition, zero large sweeping shots of the future world, no "the destiny of our world" -storylines. Just street-level depiction of the law enforcement of Mega City One doing their everyday jobs.

I just want Judge Death dammit. If we get the other Dark Judges too at a later date, I will wet myself.

Dennis Franz as Judge Death!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post

Dennis Franz as Judge Death!

Sorry, that was stupid. But another NYPD Blue alumni on the other hand...

Your crime... is life. The punishment...

...is death.

Tobin Bell would be my preferred favorite for the role. His voice has got just the right mix of sinister and superiority complex.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post

I kinda hope this will be, as much as possible, a police procedural series in the vein of NYPD Blue or Law & Order, only set in a slightly more extreme environment. Minimal amount of exposition, zero large sweeping shots of the future world, no "the destiny of our world" -storylines. Just street-level depiction of the law enforcement of Mega City One doing their everyday jobs.

I do too, though by also ramping up the satire to actually include police procedurals, and to just cut through all the convoluted bullshit with Dredd being, well, Dredd. It'd be a breath of fresh air.

The best Dredd/Megacity stories are heavy with social commentary. I hope this has the blip-verts of media/sarcastic humor like the original Robocop.

Ever see the original designs for the Robocop costume? Complete Dredd rip-off!

~The Judge costumes- I liked what they did in the Urban movie, and I kinda liked the Stallone costume.

Something halfway between the two would be interesting, but dirtied-up, not all gold and shiny.

~ Judge Death and the Dark Judges- They're among TONS of cool characters from 2000AD Dredd that could be pulled from.

The Dark Judges are too thin to be pulled off by human performers, they'd have to be puppets like in the first Terminator, or of course CGI. Then I remembered Doug Jones. With the proper makeup he could look exactly like the Brian Bolland version of the character.

It'd be fun if during the season we saw little snippits of Death gathering his forces, and then spent the last half of the season battling them.

Those are usually major story arcs, and not done in one or two episodes.

~They could introduce Otto Sump and his line of foodstuffs.

~I've gotta see belly-wheels! Someone said there's a quick shot of one being used in the lobby of the tower block in Urban Dredd film.

~They could do the eating competitions!

~Anti-mutant activity has been high in the books recently. Could be constantly in the background in graffiti and skirmishes Judges respond to.

~Sky surfers!

The possibilities are so amazing. Guys don't fuck it up, please.

I keep thinking of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and how the movie was so bad it stomped the property into the ground and covered it over.

One of the major things giving me hope is that the actual comic people are behind this. If they can't get a Dredd TV show right, it's likely nobody can.

A[quote name="stevehauk" url="/community/t/159338/judge-dredd-mega-city-one-tv-show-in-development#post_4287948"]The best Dredd/Megacity stories are heavy with social commentary. I hope this has the blip-verts of media/sarcastic humor like the original Robocop.
Ever see the original designs for the Robocop costume? Complete Dredd rip-off!

~The Judge costumes- I liked what they did in the Urban movie, and I kinda liked the Stallone costume.
Something halfway between the two would be interesting, but dirtied-up, not all gold and shiny.
~ Judge Death and the Dark Judges- They're among TONS of cool characters from 2000AD Dredd that could be pulled from.
The Dark Judges are too thin to be pulled off by human performers, they'd have to be puppets like in the first Terminator, or of course CGI. Then I remembered Doug Jones. With the proper makeup he could look exactly like the Brian Bolland version of the character.

It'd be fun if during the season we saw little snippits of Death gathering his forces, and then spent the last half of the season battling them.
Those are usually major story arcs, and not done in one or two episodes.
~They could introduce Otto Sump and his line of foodstuffs.
~I've gotta see belly-wheels! Someone said there's a quick shot of one being used in the lobby of the tower block in Urban Dredd film.
~They could do the eating competitions!
~Anti-mutant activity has been high in the books recently. Could be constantly in the background in graffiti and skirmishes Judges respond to.
~Sky surfers!
The possibilities are so amazing. Guys don't fuck it up, please.
I keep thinking of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and how the movie was so bad it stomped the property into the ground and covered it over.
[/quote]

Robocop is in many respects the best Dredd movie we've had. Stallone's and the Garland scripted one were compromised on a number of levels and lacked the satirical bent that is beyond essential.

Know what else is close to a Dredd movie? Demolition Man.

[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/159338/judge-dredd-mega-city-one-tv-show-in-development#post_4287974"]One of the major things giving me hope is that the actual comic people are behind this. If they can't get a Dredd TV show right, it's likely nobody can.
[/quote]

Yup.
A[quote name="jhp1608" url="/community/t/159338/judge-dredd-mega-city-one-tv-show-in-development#post_4288094"]
Robocop is in many respects the best Dredd movie we've had. Stallone's and the Garland scripted one were compromised on a number of levels and lacked the satirical bent that is beyond essential.

Know what else is close to a Dredd movie? Demolition Man.
Yup.[/quote]
A[quote name="Subotai" url="/community/t/159338/judge-dredd-mega-city-one-tv-show-in-development#post_4288132"]
[/quote]

QFT?
AUrban is in talks for the show. Hope it works out.

OMG. Please God let this happen.

ALe gasp!

I hope they're not gunning for a network tv deal, because I feel like that would ruin it.

A[quote name="Amos Orange" url="/community/t/159338/judge-dredd-mega-city-one-tv-show-in-development/30#post_4337777"]I hope they're not gunning for a network tv deal, because I feel like that would ruin it.
[/quote]
After seeing the unbelievably TV-14 Hannibal on NBC...I don't care where this lands as long as the right people are steering the ship. A similarly rated Dredd series wouldn't necessarily mean watered down..

is punching through a dude's head tv-14 friendly?

I'm just worried that a network show would try to make the Dredd universe "sexier".