Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix)

What a pleasant surprise.

ACool.
AOMG!

The Dark Crystal holds a special place in my heart. My dad tells me he took me to see it in the theater, when I wasn't much more than a baby. I've always imagined that helped to start my tastes on the right track: imagination, amazing craft, and a weird blend of childlike wonder and pure nightmare fuel. I have no idea how this will work as a series, but I can't not at least give this a try when it's released.

Yeah The Dark Crystal was definitely a weird period in my childhood that was simultaneously awe inspiring and terrifying.  I didn't know what to make of it, but was greatly affected by it...

They've just announced the cast and it is.... bonkers.

First off, Taron Egerton, Anya Taylor-Joy, and Nathalie Emmannuel are voicing the three Gelfling leads. Other Gelflings will be voiced by (deep breath) Catriona Balfe, Helena Bonham-Carter, Harris Dickinson, Toby Jones, Theo James, Eddie Izzard, Alicia Vikander, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Natalie Dormer, Shazad Latif, and Mark Strong. The Skeksis/Mystics will be voiced by (another deep breath) Harvey Fierstein, Mark Hamill, Ralph Ineson, Jason Isaacs, Keegan Michael-Key, Olafur Durri Olafson, Simon Pegg, and Andy Samberg. Aughra will be voiced by Donna Kimball.

https://twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/...7452218368

Also.. what the heck is the plot of this? Because I assume it doesn't end with the Gelflings getting genocided, unless Netflix has decided it's going to make the grimmest show ever.
aw I thought ambler was back!
Maybe the Skeksis got him too.
So am I the only one who continues to find the Gelflings creepy AF?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Completely agree. Everything in Dark Crystal is absolutely terrifying!
That is . . . quite a voice cast. Now I can only imagine Harvey Fierstein's raspy New York accent coming out of a Mystic's mouth. "Oh my gawd, Jen! You've gawtta go on a quest to save ya little Gelfing friends! Oh, this is terr-rible! Awwful!"  (Sorry, I think his performance in Independence Day set my idea of him as an actor in stone forever.)
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
(12-17-2018, 01:31 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: They've just announced the cast and it is.... bonkers.

First off, Taron Egerton, Anya Taylor-Joy, and Nathalie Emmannuel are voicing the three Gelfling leads. Other Gelflings will be voiced by (deep breath) Catriona Balfe, Helena Bonham-Carter, Harris Dickinson, Toby Jones, Theo James, Eddie Izzard, Alicia Vikander, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Natalie Dormer, Shazad Latif, and Mark Strong. The Skeksis/Mystics will be voiced by (another deep breath) Harvey Fierstein, Mark Hamill, Ralph Ineson, Jason Isaacs, Keegan Michael-Key, Olafur Durri Olafson, Simon Pegg, and Andy Samberg. Aughra will be voiced by Donna Kimball.

https://twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/...7452218368

Also.. what the heck is the plot of this? Because I assume it doesn't end with the Gelflings getting genocided, unless Netflix has decided it's going to make the grimmest show ever.

OH HELL YEAH
the empire never ended
Trailer!

Visually, this looks exactly like what I was hoping for.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Gelflings still creepy AF looking.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Heck yeah.

See! Way more excited about this than Aladdin or Lion King remakes because TDC is a bit of a mess, as I recall. :: insert boiler ‘stop remaking/sequelizing the biggest hits ever rant ::
looks cool!
Just read that Netflix are upping the UK subscription by £1 per month then came here and saw this and I’m A OK with that rise.

That looks absolutely wonderful and faithful to the original.

I’m sitting in a pub so had to watch with the sound off. Tell me the music sounds like Trevor Jones.
Wow, that looks fantastic.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(05-30-2019, 01:33 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: I’m sitting in a pub so had to watch with the sound off. Tell me the music sounds like Trevor Jones.

Negative, unfortunately. It sounds like any other "fantasy trailer" music of this decade.

I would hope Jones is involved in the actual score in at least some capacity.

ETA: Looks like Daniel Pemberton is the composer. I'm a fan of his, and I would hope he maintains the dark, rich, sweeping orchestral approach that Jones delivered.
Eh. Just looked it up on IMDB - Trevor Jones ain’t involved.
Pemberton's a talent. As long as he keeps Jones' thematic material, I think the music is in good hands.
So no one else finds the Gelflings offputtingly creepy? Deep into the Uncanny Valley?

why would they be in the uncanny valley when they look so different from humans?

I don't disagree that there's a creepiness/eeriness/otherworldliness to them. But I always figured that was by design.
Anyone ELSE? Tongue

Of course they're kind of strange, as are all of the creatures in THE DARK CRYSTAL. Everything has always felt of-a-piece to me, though, and fully appropriate for the tale being told.
Heh, following The Rise of Skywalker trailer by having the Lord Chamberlain’s “Mmmmmmmmmmm” at the end.
Mmmmm?!
(05-30-2019, 12:08 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Trailer!

Visually, this looks exactly like what I was hoping for.

I can only say it again:

OH HELL YEAH
the empire never ended
Him - "Stop your whimpering!"

Me - "MMMmmm!"
Git' in under mah belly!
I looked this up on IMDB and the technical crew on this thing is filled with top people. The art and effects departments are just loaded with primo talent. The trailer kind of speaks to that but yeah. Insane voice cast, too, which we already knew. I guess if I'm worried about anything it's Leterrier, who isn't bad but hasn't made anything I strongly like, either, and some of the writers maybe.

I mean, the entire series is shot by the DP of the Paddington movies and scored by the composer who did Spiderverse; shit's gonna be magical.
the empire never ended
Just realised the Lord Chamberlain “HHMMMMMmmmm!?” is probably Mark Hamill. Sounds like him, and he’s in this.
It looks really well-made, but it's still a goddamned prequel. I'd be ok with a global mass amnesia-causing event just so I wouldn't have to hear another story about what happened before the thing I liked happened (thanks to Patton Oswalt for that last part).
I don't even remember The Dark Crystal. So I'll just watch this and then the original, which will probably disappoint me.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Suppose it *has* to be a prequel to be able to feature both the Skeksis and the Mystics.
This is one case where I think a prequel is probably way more merited than a sequel. The movie makes its back-story sound very intriguing but really gives you very little of it. It makes more sense to do a series about that story as opposed to a story about after the Crystal is unified again and harmony restored.
the empire never ended