Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Wonder Woman 1984: Pre-Release Discussion brought to you by Overlord

Already greenlit.  Patty Jenkins is returning to direct.  I imagine we're looking at 2019 or 2020.

Have at it.

So Jenkins has confirmed it's going to take place in America, and it seems like it'll be contemporary? Gonna be interesting to see what they do with the supporting cast, given that basically none of them even can return (as it seems like they're going with the thing that once Diana leaves Themiscyra she can't go back). So pretty much a total overhaul in that department.

Be fun if Charlize Theron were to reteam with her Monster director Jenkins as either Circe or Cheetah. Hell, she'd probably be a great Veronica Cale if Jenkins decided to go in that direction. Just as long as they don't do the Maxwell Lord storyline.

AI'll probably see this.
A[quote name="Dent6084" url="/community/t/159403/wonder-woman-2-pre-release-discussion#post_4301367"]So Jenkins has confirmed it's going to take place in America, and it seems like it'll be contemporary? Gonna be interesting to see what they do with the supporting cast, given that basically none of them even can return (as it seems like they're going with the thing that once Diana leaves Themiscyra she can't go back). So pretty much a total overhaul in that department.

Be fun if Charlize Theron were to reteam with her Monster director Jenkins as either Circe or Cheetah. Hell, she'd probably be a great Veronica Cale if Jenkins decided to go in that direction. Just as long as they don't do the Maxwell Lord storyline.
[/quote]

Yes to this; do the Cale storyline of Rucka's run, with Cheetah instead of Silver Swan, and with Dr
Psycho as a mid villain.
Then go full mythological for the third sequel and give us the fight against Medusa.

-plays air cello-

I LOVE the idea of Charlize Theron playing Circe or Cheetah.

Maybe we'll even get the invisible plane in there somewhere.

I'd be okay never seeing the invisible jet again.

Seconded.  No invisible jet, please.

AYou never saw it in the first place!
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

Yes to this; do the Cale storyline of Rucka's run, with Cheetah instead of Silver Swan, and with Dr
Psycho as a mid villain.
Then go full mythological for the third sequel and give us the fight against Medusa.

The fight against Medusa would be badass as hell to see onscreen. Especially that ending.

I don't think the invisible jet fits with this version of Diana (especially if she can fly, as the ending of this film hints she can).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

The fight against Medusa would be badass as hell to see onscreen. Especially that ending.

I don't think the invisible jet fits with this version of Diana (especially if she can fly, as the ending of this film hints she can).

I have to admit that ending resonates a lot with me because I grew up watching Saint Seiya.

The whole of Rucka's run is perfect material for the big screen.

Veronica Cale being a modern, ruthless femenist Lex Luthor style antagonist to Wonder Woman*, Dr Psycho being pretty much MRA douchebags turned up to eleven, Silver Swan's personal relatinship to Diana, the gods's schemes affecting the mortal world, and the whole setup of a supporting cast in the personel of Diana's embassy.

Is the perfect template for a modern set Wonder Woman movie.

* I fucking LOVE that Rucka made Cale essentially what chauvinist and conservatives see Wonder Woman as: a feminist threat to the status quo and who believes in superiority, not equality. A perfect counterpart to Wonder Woman's ideals and beliefs on equality and peace.

Also, for those who have never read that story (and its still not collected; only the first half of Rucka's run is) here is a great, in depth look:

Part 1

Part 2

AIs it really fair to make WW "answer" to more extreme forms of feminism in her second film? Down the line as maybe a Logan-esque capper to a franchise it could work, but making her have to show up other feminists, no matter how extreme, seems kinda cruel to women. They just got nice things, let them have some fun first.

Cheetah!
A[quote name="Munson" url="/community/t/159403/wonder-woman-2-pre-release-discussion#post_4301767"]Is it really fair to make WW "answer" to more extreme forms of feminism in her second film? [/quote]

Yeah, that seems like it would be unnecessarily reactionary. I'm dying to see Justice League now, though, to see if they follow through on Diana being the senior partner who has seen and fought things that would blow Batman's mind.

I think it does, because is actually part of the character; many enemies and storylines deal with people (both men and women) attacking, misinterpreting or exploiting Diana's message and beliefs.

Its a big part of the character, IMO, and I think Wonder Woman is one of the superhero characters that lends itself for far more complex, contemporary and mature themes than the rest of the DC and Marvel pantheons.

That's what I love about the Veronica Cale character; she and Wonder Woman could easily be allies and see eye to eye, but Cale resents Wonder Woman's equality views and has her reasons for being more extremist in her femenism.

Wonder Woman is a femenist icon, but she is one of empowerment, not supremacy.

That said, yes Cheetah. And Dr Psycho!*

*Before anyone says it. Yes, Dinklage would knock that role out of the park. Dr Psycho is essentially an evil Tyrion mixed with his character from Death at a Funeral

AI would just like her to establish herself in the modern world before she is existentially challenged. Really all someone has to do is ask "why you leave for 100 years?" and it will be akward enough.

Does Dr Pyscho have the mask? Or is that Pyscho Pirate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munson View Post

I would just like her to establish herself in the modern world before she is existentially challenged. Really all someone has to do is ask "why you leave for 100 years?" and it will be akward enough.

Does Dr Pyscho have the mask? Or is that Pyscho Pirate?

Psycho Pirate is the one with the mask. Dr. Psycho is an MRA midget with psychic abilities and some dark as fuck proclivities.

I'm really hoping for a The Dark Knight situation here. Like Nolan, Jenkins made her bones on this thing, a particularly difficult kind of movie that she's never made before, and with the second film, I'd like to see her take the wheel as completely as possible. If she has some shit she wants to get off her chest, then I want to see exactly what that looks like. The ammunition is endless.

Prior to a few weeks ago, I did not anticipate being excited about a sequel to a superhero film, but here we are. My only fear is that they'll crowd her with other DCEU characters so they can piggyback off all of that good will. The Batman stuff in Wonder Woman is exactly as shared universe as I hope the sequel will be.

AWB/DC is gonna fuck this up for her and themselves

I really hope not though.

Jenkins and Geoff Johns' story for Wonder Woman 2 apparently takes place during the 1980s: http://www.thewrap.com/wonder-woman-sequ...-revealed/

AWhat? Dumb!
Aoooh nice

When the rumors were for a contemporary sequel, I just assumed it would be set after justice league or something
AA Cold War thriller/action movie with Wonder Woman sounds really, really cool.
AI read about that a few hours ago. I don't care for it. Also, I again have to ask that if all of these costumed and/or super-powered characters were widely active before Superman's arrival in Man of Steel (like Batman and everyone in Suicide Squad), then why the fuck was anyone surprised when he showed up? You can get away with Wonder Woman in WWI because she was only active for a few days in a relatively isolated area, and in the mayhem of war, it would be easy to dismiss stories of her feats as war-born folk tales. If Wonder Woman 2 takes place in the 80's, are we again going to see Diana move about largely unnoticed by the world? That is not an appealing story to me and I hope this rumor doesn't have any truth to it.

I'll happily accept solo-Wonder Woman sequels that don't care about continuity with steelman or batsup

As long as Jenkins is telling the stories she wants to tell with the character.

The continuity isn't the thing that bugs me. If Jenkins needs to tell her story in the 1980's, then fine, but I would much prefer to see how Wonder Woman operates today without being flanked by a bunch of other costumed characters like she will be in Justice League.

Wonder Woman is a lot more interesting when she is a known quantity and has to publicly interact with a culture she often bristles at. I feel like setting the sequel in a more recent past is just another layer of insulation.

I'm hoping that it's simply ignoring the "wow, superpowered alien invasion!" of steelman and simply goes into what you're talking about in the 80s without any impulse to shield her from interacting with our world.

Ignore the cinnamon universe completely.

Don't do the marble thing, which often hinders those movies as singular narratives more often than not.

Does she ever say out right she didn't visit mans world during world war 2, or the 80's etc?

I think they've allowed themselves some room regarding how active she has or hasn't been since WWI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HP Pufncraft View Post

A Cold War thriller/action movie with Wonder Woman sounds really, really cool.

If they go that route, it's too bad they won't be able to work KGBeast in there. Unless it turns out the guy Batman set on fire in BVS was KGBeast Jr., or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Does she ever say out right she didn't visit mans world during world war 2, or the 80's etc?

batsup didn't really clarify anything that Jenkins' film didn't already kinda contradict for the most part (in terms of stenchy continuity and Diana herself)

so why be beholden to anything from either of snyder's films?

A[quote name="Freeman" url="/community/t/159403/wonder-woman-2-pre-release-discussion#post_4320441"]Does she ever say out right she didn't visit mans world during world war 2, or the 80's etc?
[/quote]
Not that I recall. But I did get the impression that as of BvS she was "retired" and Superman/Batman pulled her back. The back part of the modern day bookend showed that she's active. It's just muddy.

An 80's political thriller...or spy-type movie with WW could be cool. You could have her jaded by WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Civil Rights, the Cold War, etc...but still pre-Gulf War(s) and 9/11. Both of which could have been her breaking points.

I would honestly be pretty cool with an ongoing WW series that's basically the superhero version of Michael Apted's "Up" films, where we get to see her in the 30s, 40s, 50s, etc.

Abasically, don't be in a rush to get her into fix a compromised corporate movie continuity just because that's what marble did with Cap
There have been a lot of voices hoping for one very specific development in a sequel, and even if I tend to blanch at ten dollar words like "intersectionality"* because I'm getting old and have a reactive and not entirely rational distaste for the people who use them like they're going out of style, I, of course, agree with the basics.

I really feel that there is absolutely no reason for Wonder Woman not to have a female love interest. Yes, there will be opponents, yes they would lose out in some foreign markets, but I know that the supporters would outshine the opponents and any money lost would be made up for in other territories. They already toyed with the idea in Jenkins' movie, but now it's time to stop fucking about. Wonder Woman being bisexual was only made text in recent history, but it's been subtext since 1941 because it had to be. It doesn't have to be subtext anymore, and Jenkins and the WB do not have to play that game.

They don't even have to do it for altruistic reasons. If they want a blow-out sequel that wholly dominates the conversation a few summers from now, then they need to pull the trigger on that before someone else does.

*To be clear, I feel this way because I believe that there are very simple rules to how people should treat one another, and I think it becomes muddy when insufferable types pursue a line of aggressive pedagogy.

Sounds like WB is planning to confirm the sequel date/Jenkins' return at Comic-Con.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vi...ce-1021638

ADecember 2019.
AJenkins must be playing hardball since they've not officially announced her for the sequel.