Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Wonder Woman 1984: Pre-Release Discussion brought to you by Overlord
(06-16-2018, 05:00 PM)Nooj Wrote: I dunno

WONDER WOMAN had some nice moments of subtlety within all the usual superhero bombast
There is a couple of good subtle moments after the No Man's Land scene: Diana shaking hands with the people she just saved and everybody enjoying the peaceful night, as well as Charlie's singing.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
(06-16-2018, 07:56 PM)superlaser Wrote:
(06-16-2018, 07:27 PM)headless fett Wrote: WW is the decent one. 

Now imagine if they'd put Patty Jenkins and some decent screenwriters in charge of the DCEU instead of Snyder things would look very different right now.

fett just said something about a DCEU movie that could almost be taken as a complement. 

Today is truly a day for the history books.

I say nice stuff about the DCEU sometimes when it's warranted.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Sweet! 1984 is the year Transformers started. Can we get an eventual DCEU and TCU crossover?

What? Transformers was Marvel? Same thing, whatever, who cares.

"Saaaave... Megatron."
Git' in under mah belly!
(06-17-2018, 11:38 AM)cd underbelly Wrote: Sweet! 1984 is the year Transformers started. Can we get an eventual DCEU and TCU crossover?

What? Transformers was Marvel? Same thing, whatever, who cares.

"Saaaave... Megatron."

Ares returns with his new minions, the Instruments of Destruction, and only Diana has the touch to stop them.
Kristen Wiig as Dr. Barbara Ann Minerva.

[Image: Dgtmg_qWsAAVul6.jpg]

Soon to be Cheetah.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
Meow meow
she's got a bit of the mousy-secretary look that pfeiffer had going pre-transformation in batman returns

that's a messy sentence!
Wiig does neurotic and high-energy well. I imagine once she transforms into Cheetah she'll be an almost entirely CGI creation, much like Thewlis in the first movie.

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

So our two 2019 flagship female superhero movies both have villains named Dr. Minerva? That's kinda weird.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Ah yes the frumpy woman transformed into the sexpot trope.

Still works?

Somehow I doubt Jenkins, who allowed Dr. Poison some nuance with the scene of Steve Trevor hitting on her, is going to do the supermodel version of Cheetah. I think Wiig's casting signals a whole different direction.

Yeah, this image and Wiig's casting seems more reminiscent of the more tragic Post-Crisis/Rebirth versions of Cheetah - a woman obsessed with godhood and the Amazons who became ensnared by terrible powers. Whether she's Diana's friend first (in Rebirth) or just an enemy from the start (Post-Crisis) we'll see. I wonder if she'll be playing the role American or with a British accent, since traditionally Barbara Minerva is British.
"Okay everyone, so Marvel just released a movie that made a lot of money. It had a scene about African artifacts being culturally appropriated. Lets make a scene like that, ignore the subtext, and give a white person cheetah powers."

- WB Exec

(06-27-2018, 01:57 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Somehow I doubt Jenkins, who allowed Dr. Poison some nuance with the scene of Steve Trevor hitting on her, is going to do the supermodel version of Cheetah. I think Wiig's casting signals a whole different direction.

Bart, I love you, but I disagree.

There was something tonally wrong with how women were portrayed in Wonder Woman and it screamed of the old mentality of film making in which the headliner had to be the most beautiful person in the movie.  Three quarters of Elena Anaya's face was covered by a creepy mask (which was cool and offputting) but it definitely hid her beauty.  And Lucy Davis had to wear a fat suit for some reason.  

Gal Gadot seems to be the amazonian who wears less clothing than everyone else.  

And yes, Wonder Woman might not have an invisible airplane in the DCEU, but they have adapted that into her invisible skirt, which seems to be steadily disappearing in each subsequent movie.

I'm certain Kristen Wiig is going to be sexed up in this, and the fact that she is so frumpily dressed in that picture suggests I am going to be right!

Attached Files Image(s)

If WB fumbles the ball on this, a sequel to their biggest moneymaker, I really don't know what to say.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
Catartik loves me. I do blush.

I mean, I don't know what to say. Wonder Woman has more often than not worn less in the comics than she has in any of the movies. It's kind of unavoidable that she show some skin. I'm more concerned with how the camera frames her, and Jenkins's lens never felt exploitative.

And I'm pretty sure the Lucy Davis fat suit stuff was disproved. She struggled with eating disorders for years, I think that's just what she looked like during the filming of Wonder Woman.

Jesus the lows the haters sink too. WW was hot vs other women made ugly. Nevermind the island full of attractive women. But even by that logic doesn't that suggest that Cheetah will be unattractive since all the other women must be ugly? Nm the secret furry reveal of worrying that a cat monster will be sexy. Smh
yes, Lucy Davis was in the movie as she was

no suit
(06-27-2018, 02:02 PM)catartik Wrote: There was something tonally wrong with how women were portrayed in Wonder Woman and it screamed of the old mentality of film making in which the headliner had to be the most beautiful person in the movie.

You do realize that Jenkins didn't cast the role.
The immortal child of gods was portrayed as too beautiful. Smh

“My real issue with Superman was that none of the other men in the film were as tall and charming as Christopher Reeve.”
“I feel a connection with you. A man connection. A mannection.”
Gadot is perfectly cast as WW. Hopefully the screenplay for the sequel will be better than the first.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
Yeah, for all the complaining before hand Gadot ended up being spot on for WW.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Hans is back, baby!

http://bit.ly/2LkkGhK
Interesting... Rupert Gregson-Williams' score for Wonder Woman was a good classical deconstruction of the original theme from BVS, but the production itself was very vanilla (a problem all of the Zimmer acolytes have, tbh...they don't have the same ear for sonics as Hans does).

My guess is Zimmer is coming back to let Tina Guo get loose on the cello again, and he can go nuts with the 80's synths. Hopefully this is a situation like Pirates of the Caribbean, where he takes over from one of his underlings and expands and refines the themes into something special.
"You know, we got words for people like you, Oh...no, I'm not telling. But rest assured...We, period. Got, period. Words. Nah, no period there...I'm leaving that fucker out for effect."
c'mon haaaans!

use the 80s setting as a chance to go back to your 80s style!!!

BLACK RAAAAIN!!!
(08-23-2018, 03:50 AM)Nooj Wrote: c'mon haaaans!

use the 80s setting as a chance to go back to your 80s style!!!

BLACK RAAAAIN!!!

I think even he'd be hard pressed to get more 80s than this.