Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E3 2017: Pre-Order Now for Funny Meme Subtitle
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post

The alt-right is already very upset about Wolfenstein II, so that's a win.

It shows Nazis being buddy buddy with KKK members (in full white hood regalia).

If I get to shoot both kind of racist, facist a-holes, between this and Far Cry 5, 2017 is gonna be the year of cathartic escapism

Some pretty goddamn good-looking games in these trailers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

And what the fuck is an Xbox One X?!  Better machine?

Project Scorpio.  4K machine to compete against the PS4 Pro.

So I like the idea of Anthem a lot more than that 5 minute teaser.  I like a cool Iron Man suit, I like the idea of exploring an (open) untamed wilderness and fighting stuff with said suit, I like having multiple suits and teammates, but that combat looked positively mediocre.  That is fine for story-driven Mass Effect, but it won't be fine competing with Destiny (which lives and dies on its fantastic gunplay).  I do like the exploration aspect though.  Guess there is plenty of time to polish it up.

I loved NFS Hot Pursuit.  They never quite nailed that balance with subsequent games.  I'll keep my eye on Payback.

And I recently beat Assassins Creed: Black Flag.  So I guess I'll plow through Origins in 2021 after watching a show on Starz about Egypt.

I wish I could get excited for Wolfenstein 2, since the world building and production design looks great. The gameplay contrivances in the first one were enough to ruin the game for me, though. The health system was terrible, combining "limited regen" with health packs, making it feel like the developer was dictating to me exactly how much health I should start every enemy encounter with. The stealth was inconsistent nonsense. Manually trading ammunition between single wielding and dual wielding was unintuitive, and took up way too much of my playtime. The leaning controls seem like they only would've worked well on a controller (Tooltip: You can't crouch there! You've gotta lean down!). All the HQ time filler missions were bad ("Go flip that switch in the sewers!"). The worst offender of all was the constant immersion breaking scripted event trigger gates every 20 feet.

Sorry for the rant, it's just aggravating when a game starts off well with so much potential, and then the little annoyances add up over the course of the playtime to make you want to quit. The sequel looks to have just as much on-rails stuff as the first, so I don't know if I could bear through it.

AThey really should have taken Jeff Gertsmann's advice and just called this new console "Xbox."

I was really jazzed about Anthem...until it revealed itself to be a Destiny-like multiplayer game--and then i was decidedly less jazzed. I feel like Anthem's gorgeous graphics woukd be better served for a single player game.

I feel like were gonnna have a lot to talk about The Last Night. Yeah, kind if shitty that the game is cloaked in gamergate nonsense...but maybe itll be still good.
AFor what its worth, Ska, Bioware has said you can play all of Anthem in single player. The truth of that remains to be seen, but that is what they claim.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

I wish I could get excited for Wolfenstein 2, since the world building and production design looks great. The gameplay contrivances in the first one were enough to ruin the game for me, though. The health system was terrible, combining "limited regen" with health packs, making it feel like the developer was dictating to me exactly how much health I should start every enemy encounter with. The stealth was inconsistent nonsense. Manually trading ammunition between single wielding and dual wielding was unintuitive, and took up way too much of my playtime. The leaning controls seem like they only would've worked well on a controller (Tooltip: You can't crouch there! You've gotta lean down!). All the HQ time filler missions were bad ("Go flip that switch in the sewers!"). The worst offender of all was the constant immersion breaking scripted event trigger gates every 20 feet.

Sorry for the rant, it's just aggravating when a game starts off well with so much potential, and then the little annoyances add up over the course of the playtime to make you want to quit. The sequel looks to have just as much on-rails stuff as the first, so I don't know if I could bear through it.

Wow, I could not disagree with this more.

I've replayed the game a dozen times and I consider it one of the best FPS's of the decade. It allowed for multiple different play styles and gave you all the tools to pull it off. I thought the stealth mechanics were pretty damn fantastic and allowed for some great tactical moments. And with enough fresh twists (the concentration camp, the mech part, the underwater exploration) thrown in to stop it from getting old. Coupled with fantastic world building it and DOOM cemented id back on the top as the kings of the genre.

And everything in The New Colossus looks to be continuing with what I love about the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by COULD432 View Post

For what its worth, Ska, Bioware has said you can play all of Anthem in single player. The truth of that remains to be seen, but that is what they claim.

I did almost all of my Destiny playing single player, so there is probably some truth to it.  You just wouldn't be able to tackle some aspects of the game, like Raids.

AI hope when they say it is all playable, they really mean all, and not just the grindy boring parts.
AWell thats the thing: yeah, you could play Destiny by yourself (as i did when I was playing the fgame); I had fun, but you tell the gane was made to play with other people.

I just want an engaging single player experience.

Dragonball Fighters Z was the best thing shown over the weekend.

Not a Dragonball guy, myself, but Arcsys doing a balls out anime 3v3 fighter looks amazing.

I want both experiences, and I want them integrated.  I tend to like solo exploration, and the premise seems to really suit that concept.  But what Destiny introduced me to was high-end team based cooperative gaming, via their version of raids.  I'm still a Destiny adherent, but I expect I'll give Anthem a look and some time, especially if the exploration is key to the game and the combat is better than I've seen in their trailer/gameplay.

A[quote name="Zhukov" url="/community/t/159417/e3-2017-pre-order-now-for-funny-meme-subtitle#post_4304743"]Dragonball Fighters Z was the best thing shown over the weekend.

Not a Dragonball guy, myself, but Arcsys doing a balls out anime 3v3 fighter looks amazing.
[/quote]

Agreed. Its the game ive wanted since they started making those Naruto fighting games.

I'm really only interested in Anthem if it still has a Bioware level narrative. I had problems with both Destiny and The Division, but I didn't really expect much in terms of narrative for either of those games. Narrative is why I play Bioware games, though, so if Anthem is similarly lacking in that department, I will be much less forgiving.

I dont believe any of that Anthem stuff. The game won't look or play like that when it ships.

A[quote name="COULD432" url="/community/t/159417/e3-2017-pre-order-now-for-funny-meme-subtitle#post_4304760"]I'm really only interested in Anthem if it still has a Bioware level narrative. I had problems with both Destiny and The Division, but I didn't really expect much in terms of narrative for either of those games. Narrative is why I play Bioware games, though, so if Anthem is similarly lacking in that department, I will be much less forgiving. 
[/quote]

Yeah I'm not expecting much from a game like that, but Destiny was at least engaging enough that I kept with it. The Division is hot garbage.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post

The game won't look or play like that when it ships.

Applicable to most things shown at E3 since ever. 

I think it's an awesome concept. I hope it delivers on the setup. And hey, maybe if Anthem does well enough, I can get an Andromeda sequel (doooon't stop, belieeeeeeving!)

Dat Metro: Exodus doe...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

Yeah I'm not expecting much from a game like that, but Destiny was at least engaging enough that I kept with it. The Division is hot garbage.

I thought The Division was better, personally, but neither was really my speed. I just had an easier time playing The Division by myself.

Oh shit yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Coupled with fantastic world building it and DOOM cemented id back on the top as the kings of the genre. 

DOOM is much more my speed. It's one of my favorites of the past few years. I hope the lack of expansion announcement this year means they are deep into work on a full sequel.

As far as conferences go, I thought the Microsoft one last night was pretty good.  There were only 3-4 embarassing moments (Shoutcasting...), and the stage setup was nice and glitzy. Revealing the new Porsche 911 model alongside Forze 7 was actually pretty cool.

I just got a One S last year, so I have no need for the xXx Xander Cage Bocks, but it looks like it will do that stuff that it does. By the time I get a good 4K TV, they'll be rolling out the Deux Box.

If Crackdown 3 gets good reviews, then maybe that and Forza 7 will be 2 exclusives I'll be getting for my One this year. Not great, but it could be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post

It gets even worse

"Humans first knew the era of survival. Then they knew the era of work. Now they live in the era of leisure. Machines have surpassed human labour not only in strength, but in precision, intellect, and creativity. Stabilised by universal income, people struggle to find their calling or identity, and define themselves by what they consume, rather than what they create."

Well, you can find themes of technology and convenience leading to complacency all over sci-fi, from The Time Machine to Wall-E.

People are being overly knee-jerk in regards to this guy IMO. I looked on his twitter to see what this dastardly new villain was saying and... err, turns out he comes across as entirely placid. In fact a while back on there he was bemoaning how France opted for corporate option Macron instead of their Bernie Sanders equivalent. Hardly seems like the words of a militant far-rightist.

I mean yeah he was dumb to go anywhere near the gamergate bandwagon but unless there's some evidence of him actually treating anyone badly, which to my knowledge there isn't, I think it's overly harsh to just throw him and his game in the bin.

Especially when it looks so lushhhh... that last shot was something else.

Holy Shit, the Mario/Rabbids game is essentially X-Com.

Loving what they have shown. (also, Miyamoto as a guest? Classy, and what an ovation)

AI sort of wish I hadn't sold my Switch after finishing Zelda, because Mario X-com looks pretty great.

BEYOND GOOD & EVIL 2!

AThey mentioned Beyond Good and Evil 2 is online and is a prequel, so my hype was quickly deflated.

I wonder how significant that 'online' talk really is.

That looks bug nuts and insane, in a lot of good ways. I kind of have trouble squaring it with the generally good-natured first entry, though.

AIt's an Ubisoft game; it will almost certainly put a large emphasis on online play and having the game be a "service". But that sells really well for them, so I get it.

I know that's the cinematic trailer but nothing about it resembles the game I fell in love with many years ago.

AWha... but... huh? Looks cool, but why are they going for an M rating? All the fuckity fuck fucks honestly kinda turned me off. Is Micheal Ancel still making this?

BG&E was a light sci fi action adventure romp with some dark undertones, so I don't know if I agree with it going full vulgar for a sequel. Might as well reboot Rayman with guns and F words too. Ungh!
AAncel came out on stage after the trailer, so presumably he is involved, but he did quit Ubisoft awhile ago, so who knows how large his role is.
AIts reminding me of when Prince of Persia 2 went full edgelord mature, when, just like BG&E, the first was a light action adventure romp. Fehkin' Ubisoft.

Feels more Guy Ritchie caper-y than edgelordy to me. I'm okay with it (though I admit I still haven't gotten around to playing BG&E1).

Quote:

Ancel came out on stage after the trailer, so presumably he is involved, but he did quit Ubisoft awhile ago, so who knows how large his role is.

Pretty sure he's still the lead producer and design director.

Cinematic trailers can fuck right off.  Utterly useless.

A[quote name="Fafhrd" url="/community/t/159417/e3-2017-pre-order-now-for-funny-meme-subtitle/50#post_4304992"]Feels more Guy Ritchie caper-y than edgelordy to me. I'm okay with it (though I admit I still haven't gotten around to playing BG&E1).

Pretty sure he's still the lead producer and design director.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's not as if any of the characters are of the BROOD-MURDER-CRAAAWLINGINMYSKIN variety. The problem is that the writing, at least from that trailer, really wants to convince you how cool and edgy. "Dude he's totally just said fuck--THIS AIN'T YOUR DADDY'S BEYOND FOOD AND EVIL.