Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mission Impossible 6 pre-release
ALooks like Ethan has someone to stalk again...

https://twitter.com/realmonaghan/status/...0874023936

It's weird to think that MI3 is over ten years old now. WHAT EXCITING STUFF HAS JULIA BEEN UP TO DURING THAT PERIOD OF TIME?!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

It's weird to think that MI3 is over ten years old now. WHAT EXCITING STUFF HAS JULIA BEEN UP TO DURING THAT PERIOD OF TIME?!!!!

hopefully talking to divorce lawyers.

ALooks like Aaron Paul is gunning for a return to the franchise. Wait, what??

Double checks Paul's tweet. Checks IMDB. Realises that Paul was indeed in MI:III.
ATells you how memorable that film was!

Bring back Emilio Estevez and then we're talking!
A[Image: 800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

Looks like Aaron Paul is gunning for a return to the franchise. Wait, what??

Double checks Paul's tweet. Checks IMDB. Realises that Paul was indeed in MI:III.

HOLY CRAP. I can't WAIT to find out what "Rick" has been up to! What a time to be alive!!!

Ahasta lasagna

mondays

God, had no idea Maggie Q was in it as well. I've seen all of these and enjoy them well enough, but they pretty much melt away pretty quickly. If it wasn't for the 'insane stunt that Tom Cruise does himself' gimmick, I doubt I'd recall a single thing about each one.

AI rewatched the first one about a week ago. It's such a different thing from a different time. Almost creepy in some spots. The train scene....while awesome (come on...those FX STILL look great) is so out of nowhere over the top. It's really nuts. I remember being PISSED in '96 that they just blew the big FX money shot in like every trailer and TV spot. One of the worst examples of too much of the movie being shown ever. They shoulda showed zero footage of that train finale in the lead up..

The first movie is still my favorite Mission Impossible, mainly because it's probably the only movie in the series that strives to be as much a thriller as an action movie (the number of action scenes is actually quite minimal and the most memorable sequence - the CIA break-in - is one that favors suspense over spectacle). I love DePalma's direction in that first movie.

I do wonder whether this franchise could survive Tom Cruise's loss in the way the Bond franchise survived Connery's departure. There really isn't anyone else like Cruise. Then again, maybe a completely different style of actor could bring something new to the series, in the way that Roger Moore's installments were very different to Connery's movies. 

Getting Rebecca Fergusan to replace Cruise might work. Though they'd have to tone down the stunts for a more low key thriller approach.

I can guarantee that, if the time comes for Cruise to be replaced, it'll be with another male and it'll either be someone the studio is trying to turn into a star or someone who already has some degree of success at the Box Office. 

I don't think Cruise will ever fully leave, this is his island of commercial stability in the rocky waters of ageing stardom.

He might end up transitioning into more of a Jim Phelps overseer role with younger stars getting brought in to do more of the dirty work, but as his transformation into a forever young CGI effect continues even that might not be necessary.

I feel like Ghost Protocol was supposed to be a backdoor pilot for Renner to take over, back in that weird early '10s period when Hollywood was trying to force a franchise on him. But obviously that didn't work out, since he's not returning for 6.

What a weird franchise. It has only accumulated a supporting cast by picking up stragglers (Ving Rhames, Simon Pegg, Jeremy Renner) along the way. Hunt has a new boss (Anthony Hopkins, Laurence Fishburne, Alec Baldwin) each movie. It's like the one leftover from the '80s/'90s model of making it up as you go and relying on star power. Except back in the '80s there'd be a new one of these every two years.

But yeah, I say after 6 there's a long lull, nearly a decade or so. Then there will be a reboot with surprise cameo from Cruise. In which Hunt dies. Or is the villain, bringing it all full circle!

I still can't believe Sean Harris is returning for the next movie. He must really like either Cruise or the director (or both), given his infamous dislike of these kind of movies.

AI'm glad he's coming back. He was a pretty chilling villain in that Mads kinda way where he didn't really have to DO a whole lot...he just felt....reptilian. And he didn't get to go out with as much of a bang as I'd hoped...so yeah, make him the scary ass Blofeld of the MI movies. I'm good with that..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

I feel like Ghost Protocol was supposed to be a backdoor pilot for Renner to take over, back in that weird early '10s period when Hollywood was trying to force a franchise on him. But obviously that didn't work out, since he's not returning for 6.

That's exactly what it was - that was when the Cruise's couch jumping nonsense was still fresh in the memory and his star status was looking pretty shaky.

Ironically the only reason he's not in this one is he was too busy filming for The Avengers, the other franchise of his that stuck around even though he's a disposable part of it. Poor Renner, destined to forever be the side man.

ABourne, Hawkeye and.....MI guy. Yeah...he can't really seem to catch a break of his own. But damn, I can't feel too sorry for him. That's some first world problems like a motherfucker. I'm sure he's eatin good..
AHey, he was great in Arrival.
AThat was no shot at his acting ability. He can be great..
AHey, Fraid is great at life.
AIf only..

There's no reason that Renner couldn't return for MI:7 and do a franchise hand-off.  That would depend upon him becoming more bankable, but it could happen.  He's getting older too, though.  The way to go...the SMART way to go...would be to introduce an actor in his late 20s/early 30s who has the star power, charisma, and IT factor to lead the franchise to newer and greater heights for years to come.

That's right, people.  I'm talking about none other than Kellan Lutz.

AIsn't Henry Cavill in this?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Isn't Henry Cavill in this?

I forgot about that.  Hopefully he's able to go 'Solo' in this....

Dammit, now I'm dreaming of an UNCLE boat scene where Cruise is doing whatever ridiculous stunt they dream up for this in the background.  He'll probably just be the agent that gets killed in the first act, like Emilio, Keri Russel, and Josh Holloway, though.

Maybe he'll choke on a sandwich.

I'll watch 2 more Cruise MUMMIYS, if they'll give me an UNCLE 2.

A[quote name="felix" url="/community/t/159422/mission-impossible-6-pre-release#post_4305861"]I'll watch 2 more Cruise MUMMIYS, if they'll give me an UNCLE 2.
[/quote]
Damn that's brutal..

felix, taking one for the team!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I can guarantee that, if the time comes for Cruise to be replaced, it'll be with another male and it'll either be someone the studio is trying to turn into a star or someone who already has some degree of success at the Box Office. 

Aaron Paul is right there, already established in this series as loveable, bad-ass Rick!

I just realized that I never saw the last one. I've enjoyed just about all of these (except for the atrocious 2, sorry nooj!) and yet the last one completely slipped by. I should rectify that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil spurn View Post

Aaron Paul is right there, already established in this series as loveable, bad-ass Rick!

I just realized that I never saw the last one. I've enjoyed just about all of these (except for the atrocious 2, sorry nooj!) and yet the last one completely slipped by. I should rectify that.

You definitely should. It's one of the best in the series in my opinion. I enjoyed the hell out of it at the cinema.

ARanking!

Mission:Impossible
Ghost Protocol
Rogue Nation
III
II

OK...if we're playing the ranking game again...

1. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL

2. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION

3. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE

4. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III

5. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II

To be clear, I'd give the top three films a solid 'A', so they're all kinda in the same league.  III I'd give a solid 'B' to.