Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mission Impossible 6 pre-release
Rewatching all these in the last couple weeks, Ethan is the poster child for corporate America employee training. I mean, talk about micromanaging and his company screwing him over all the time, yet, he keeps working for them. I guess we cant complain about bad health benefits and no 401k match, right?

"Be more like Ethan Hunt"

I can see HR handing out pamphlets about how workers need to realize it could be worse... they could work for IMF
an organization in which there's a lot of churn at upper management!

he's had so many different bosses!

Kittridge was CIA, but there was Hopkins, Fishburne, and then Baldwin!
Wasn't Tom Wilkinson the head of the IMF in GHOST PROTOCOL, too?

I'd love to see one of these movies bring back all of the surviving guys Hunt has had to report to over the years...

... but mostly I just want Henry Czerny back.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
They even screwed over their career poster child, Phelps.
Company man. Worked his life there. And ageism takes afoot and ruins him. Poor guy
sunuvabitch how dare they?

oh right! I neglected Wilksinson!

I HAVE BEEN GAGGING FOR CZERNY TO RETURN FOR SO LONG!

everyone has pressure points. we find something that's personally important to czerny... and we SQUEEZE...
(07-25-2018, 01:32 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: ... but mostly I just want Henry Czerny back.

In a just and proper world, Czerny would have been in every one of the M:I films and would be kinda the 'co lead' in the films by now.  Only William Atherton was 'that good' at playing a smarmy prick.
That's what they get for telling him he had to learn PowerPoint. He worked 4 decades without having to use that.
Between MISSION and CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER, Czerny was such a great "bureaucratic antagonist" figure in the mid '90s.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(07-25-2018, 08:09 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: This is a pretty good argument that Ethan Hunt does, in fact, have an organic character arc over the course of the series:

I can't help but laugh when the assumption is made that since Ethan Hunt's parents owned a dairy farm his life was dull and boring.

Otherwise a fairly good job at finding a character arc.

(07-25-2018, 02:04 PM)catartik Wrote: I can't help but laugh when the assumption is made that since Ethan Hunt's parents owned a dairy farm his life was dull and boring.

that's a good point!

but I'd also suggest that the FARM BOY bit of detail was already put into the movie by DePalma and Koepp as cheap movie shorthand to suggest that Hunt is an all-American boy scout of simple provincial background (like Belle in Beauty & The Beast!).  A blank slate for Cruise and the audience to project anything onto.  And even the film has Hunt comment on this contrast himself:

Quote:
  • "If you're dealing with someone who's crushed, shot, stabbed, and detonated five members of his own IMF team, how devastated do you really think you're gonna make him by hauling Mom and Uncle Donald down to the county courthouse?"

For the video to describe it as 'dull and boring' is less in the pejorative sense and more in the "you don't really need to look that much deeper into Hunt's background to get some interesting backstory".

For the purposes of the first movie, he is a competent but basic agent who is about to go on a "YOU GOT THE WRONG MAN!!" chase through exotic locales.

Still, I appreciate that you pointed it out, since I didn't think twice about it.

While typing this response, I also began to think about whether or not the shorthand of the all-american agent with an agricultural background still means the same thing 22 years later.  Would it read the same way through the cultural momentum of conventional Hollywood narrative?

"I don't want to work on this smelly farm anymore!  I want to go to the city where the exciting things happen!!! 

or...

"BIGGS IS RIGHT!  I'M NEVER GONNA GET OUTTA HERE!!!!"

Or do the realities of the struggles that agriculture has undergone since 1996 come with a lot more baggage in terms of how audiences would perceive such a backstory?
I definitely agree with you that the decision was made to make Hunt a blue collar "every man" as a way to ground the fact that he is hyper competent, especially if you were to compare it, for instance, to the selection process for the Kingsman (I still dont understand why that is a singular term and not plural).

I think I was more surprised to hear the casual subject opinion of "dull" dropped in there and I brushed it off as a freudian slip but then at the end of the video he frames Hunt's upbriging again as "boring". So it's more of a criticism of the analysts beliefs than his actual analysis.

I blame Wizard of Oz!!!

https://youtu.be/OtKZYYSOCyQ?t=48s
Just got out of this.

Wow. Believe the hype.

Cruise and mcquarrie have knocked this out of the park (with support from cavill pegg etc Al)
(07-25-2018, 05:41 PM)onemanmust Wrote: Just got out of this.

Wow. Believe the hype.

Cruise and mcquarrie have knocked this out of the park (with support from cavill pegg etc Al)

I have heard from a second source that it's amazing.  

We have a post-release thread.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
I imagine that milord will be very taken with Kirby