Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GLOW - Season 1 on Netflix starring Allison Brie

As a fan of Brie and the 80s in general, I'll have to watch this sooner or later.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
AI'm enjoying this a bunch!

Maron looks like Hank Azaria

And it's five hours, not ten, since they're roughly 30-minute episodes.  Perfect for binge watching.

AWomb goof. Biggest laugh out of me all year.
AYeah that got me.
AI got to DARE!

FEELS SO GOOD

Well that was an absolute delight.  Perfect length with practically no fat whatsoever.  A great bunch of characters (and the underwritten ones worked well with what they had), a bunch of captivating performances (damn, Amazing Kong can really act - who knew?!), some fun cameos and a string of really well played moments that didn't feel cliche but worked perfectly when you're talking about the work that is pro wrestling.  The bit

in the finale with Carmen's dad cheering her on worked on both the "disapproving parent finally comes around" trope front as well as fitting perfectly in the moment in that he's a wrestler - he knows how to work the crowd and get the show where it needs to be

As mentioned earlier, Betty's "getting it" moment is beautiful, as is Sheila's birthday party and Ellen Wong being told her job is already done.  There's just so, so many great litlle moments that I both want a second season and also don't.

Athat was so fun!

BROADCAST NEWS!

Really loved Carmen's brothers in this. Who I guess were actual wrestler cameos.

"Did you direct Star Wars?"

"...No."

"LOVE Star Wars!"

A[quote name="Codename" url="/community/t/159440/glow-season-1-on-netflix-starring-allison-brie#post_4312703"]Really loved Carmen's brothers in this. Who I guess were actual wrestler cameos.
[/quote]

Yep. Mohawk bro was formerly Brodus Clay (used to be Snoop Dogg's bodyguard, from memory) and Afro Bro is Carlito Colon (who actually does come from a wredtling dynasty family). Carlito is one of those instances where you don't realise how big wrestlers are until you put them next to regular people because he is a small guy by WWE standards.

Wish Salty The Sack stuck around longer. Johnny Mundo is an incredible talent and a half-decent actor.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

BROADCAST NEWS!

That was a great coda.

This came out of nowhere (for me, at least), and I loved every minute of it.

A[quote name="The NZ Natural" url="/community/t/159440/glow-season-1-on-netflix-starring-allison-brie#post_4312710"]
Yep. Mohawk bro was formerly Brodus Clay (used to be Snoop Dogg's bodyguard, from memory) and Afro Bro is Carlito Colon (who actually does come from a wredtling dynasty family). Carlito is one of those instances where you don't realise how big wrestlers are until you put them next to regular people because he is a small guy by WWE standards.

Wish Salty The Sack stuck around longer. Johnny Mundo is an incredible talent and a half-decent actor.[/quote]

I just listened to Betty Gilpin and Brie's interview with Maron on WTF. They hinted that the shoot with the two wrestlers was very uncomfortable, in a sexual way.

Wrestling's pretty intimate, there's gonna be some groping. Let's hope it wasn't on purpose.

Okay, I'm dense:  what was the Broadcast News reference?

A[SPOILER]Bash running with the tape during the last episode's credits.[/SPOILER]
ACan't believe I didn't recogninize Awesome Kong! She was great! The Johnny Mundo appearance was cool too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Okay, I'm dense:  what was the Broadcast News reference?

Man, what a surprise Bash turned out to be.

Usually you see 'rich 80's snob trustfund baby' and you immediately think this guy's going to be the main antagonist and you hate him almost on instinct.

Then this show goes and turns it around on us and you just can't help but root for the guy. He really, truly believes in the show and does everything in his power to make it happen.

Also, I want his robot.

If I had to think about a favourite line from the show, it's a tie between 'womb goof' cause good god and...

"Bangers, mash, eggs, bacon, toast, marmite...and Crack."

it's so nice of the netflick to make the GLOW documentary available for streaming as well!

A"What if Bill Cosby gets mad at us?"
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

it's so nice of the netflick to make the GLOW documentary available for streaming as well!

Did they really? This should be standard practice. Since Netflix is a paid service and revenue pays for these shows, they should be treated like home media format, and special features should be made available.

I say this mostly because I want to see behind the scenes stuff for the Marvel shows, and what kind of ass-backwards, stupid moronic bullshit produced Iron Fist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Man, what a surprise Bash turned out to be.

Usually you see 'rich 80's snob trustfund baby' and you immediately think this guy's going to be the main antagonist and you hate him almost on instinct.

Then this show goes and turns it around on us and you just can't help but root for the guy. He really, truly believes in the show and does everything in his power to make it happen.

Also, I want his robot.

If I had to think about a favourite line from the show, it's a tie between 'womb goof' cause good god and...

"Bangers, mash, eggs, bacon, toast, marmite...and Crack."

The bit where

Sam reads him the riot act about how he's the producer and if he's got no money he's nothing but a delusional fanboy

came across so well to me, because after spending 12 years or so on the indies in Australia, let me assure you there is absolutely no shortage of "delusional fanboys" trying to turn less than nothing into something.  Much like it is all over the world, to be fair.

Also, if we're talking about quotes and crack . . .

Fortune Cookie's heartfelt, somber speech in Cambodian that ends in a loud "CRACK!" had me crying
Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Did they really? This should be standard practice. Since Netflix is a paid service and revenue pays for these shows, they should be treated like home media format, and special features should be made available.

In GLOW's case, it's not a special feature.  It was a documentary on the subject released in 2012.

I'm not sure if it was already there, or if netflick put it on their to go along with their new show.

But I do agree that special features should become more a part of streaming services... except most special features aren't that great.

2 Episodes in, so avoiding spoilers in thread, but jumped in to say that the doco (as mentioned above) is available for streaming on Netflix as well and is surprisingly touching and well worth a watch.

It's also, 80s as fuck.

And has one of the most sickening dislocations I've seen.  Yeesh.

AAww, Jesus! I remember the dislocation you're talking about. (I used to watch GLOW on Saturday afternoons when I was a kid.) I remember the show literally devoting the entire next episode to nothing but endless replays of the injury.

The real GLOW was pretty fucking skeevy. I was too young to be able to articulate what an exploitative workplace it must have been at the time, but I never watched the show again after that.
AI binge-watched this over 2 days and loved it. Love Brie and Maron was hilarious, but the real MVP for me was Betty Gilpin. That woman can ACT. It doesn't hurt that she's smoking hot too.

[Image: Who-Plays-Debbie-Egan-GLOW.jpg]

Goddamn.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Aww, Jesus! I remember the dislocation you're talking about. (I used to watch GLOW on Saturday afternoons when I was a kid.) I remember the show literally devoting the entire next episode to nothing but endless replays of the injury.

I remember that too!

I've already torn through 5 episodes and counting. MUCH better than I expected.

Man, between this and American Gods, Betty Gilpin has GOT to start picking better best friends.

AThis is just so much better than I expected - my wife and I have dropped out binge drive through OITNB and HoC to mainline this. Loving it!
AThe real GLOW was pretty bad. It was worse than American Gladiators and Up All Night, but somehow less in on the joke. The documentary was on Netflix for years, it might be "back". I liked this ... Alison Brie is ripped to shreds, which doesn't really work the first few episodes. I didn't buy that the skateboard kids would fuck with her.
Quote:

Originally Posted by WendellEverett View Post

The real GLOW was pretty bad. It was worse than American Gladiators and Up All Night, but somehow less in on the joke. The documentary was on Netflix for years, it might be "back". I liked this ... Alison Brie is ripped to shreds, which doesn't really work the first few episodes. I didn't buy that the skateboard kids would fuck with her.

It's all about aura. She presented herself as down on her luck, as someone to be picked on. They saw an easy mark, and she didn't really resist.

I have to echo the earlier sentiment about Betty Gilpin. She was fantastic in this show.   How does a Rich Sommer get so lucky, as to act against Gilpin and Brie?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Aww, Jesus! I remember the dislocation you're talking about. (I used to watch GLOW on Saturday afternoons when I was a kid.) I remember the show literally devoting the entire next episode to nothing but endless replays of the injury.

The real GLOW was pretty fucking skeevy. I was too young to be able to articulate what an exploitative workplace it must have been at the time, but I never watched the show again after that.

Ha!  I remember that episode.  I was just telling my wife about it the other night while watching this.  I was telling her how the heel who did the arm flip for a second almost broke character in an "Oh shit!" way, then her and her partner quickly covered and reverted back to the heels they were.

That doc has been on Netflix for a while.  I'm a little bummed they had fictional characters in this, but totally understand given the nature of the show.  But no Matilda the Hun?  Aw man.

May have to go find some original episodes on YouTube, see how long I can manage to get through one.

One of my favorite little things on the show:  the theme from Exodus being the only thing Sheila knows how to play on the keyboard.  And then the show appropriating that theme for the group's moment of triumph.

So many great "little" lines of dialogue in every episode. Just caught this one:

"Is this a celebration or a funeral? I can't tell by the faces..."

AHopefully in Season 2 we'll see Sam working on his next big passion project, Billy and the Cloneasaurus.